Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,641 members, 7,820,251 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State (21934 Views)

Senate Backs Re-structuring Of Nnpc / Senate Backs Tambuwal, Vows To Protect Legislature / Senate Backs Convocation Of National Conference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jun 22, 2012
Senate backs creation of Edu State

The Senate yesterday indicated its intention to support the request for the creation of Edu State in the forthcoming constitution review exercise.

Edu is required by various groups from the present Niger, Kogi and Kwara states.
Senate President David Mark said this in Abuja while receiving an updated memorandum from the leader of a delegation from the three states, Etsu Nupe Alhaji Yahaya Abubakar.

Mark was represented by Senate Leader Victor Ndoma-Egba. Former Minister of Information and National Orientation Prof. Jerry Gana said the proposed state is a prospective oil-producing state which also has variety of solid minerals.
Source
Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jun 22, 2012

The Etsu Nupe, Alhaji Yahaya Abubakar, yesterday led a high-powered delegation to the National Assembly to demand the creation of Edu State from present Niger State.

Other members in the delegation were Etsu Agaie Alhaji Muhammadu Kudu Abubakar, former minister of information Prof. Jerry Gana, Senator Zainab Kure, Kakaki Nupe and chairman of LEADERSHIP Group, Sam Nda-Isaiah, Speaker of the Niger State House of Assembly Hon. Adamu Usman Mokwa as well as other members of the state assembly.

The Etsu Nupe, at the office of the Senate president David Mark, submited an updated version of their memoranda which sought to strengthen their demand.

In his address, Prof. Jerry Gana stated that the demand for the creation of Edu state was in realisation of the enormous natural resource and land mass in Niger State.

He said that, currently, Niger State is bigger in land mass than the whole of the south-east and equal to the south-west
He said that “We came to present to you and the committee on constitution review an updated memoranda for consideration for the creation of Edu State.

Niger remains the only state from which a new state has not been created. Niger State alone is bigger than the whole of south-east and equal to south-west. It is vast and has variety of solid minerals. The proposed Edu state is a prospective oil-producing state. It will be a viable and developed state with a capital at Bida.

On his part, Senate president, David Mark assured that lawmakers would give their demand urgent attention, stressing that the delegation could not be taken for granted.

Mark said: “Your request is already one of the 50 requests we have. Yours will enjoy priority because of the people who are part of the request. To create new states, we have to amend the schedule to the constitution, given the mechanisms for constitution amendment. We as a parliament must build a national consensus. It starts with the National Assembly but does not stop with us.

It requires the consensus of 2/3 of the state assemblies. The Senate will do its bit which is the constitutional process.

“But you must do your own bit of lobbying for national consensus by convincing others to shelve their request for acceptance of Edu State. We can’t take the calibre of people here for granted; we will give your request urgent attention
.”
Source
Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by Kobojunkie: 1:43pm On Jun 22, 2012
Tufiakwa!
Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by Pukkah: 1:45pm On Jun 22, 2012
The response from Mark is political. Is the creation of additional states the priority now? How many of the present 36 are viable?
Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by icez: 1:54pm On Jun 22, 2012
That is what they say to everybody.

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by tpia5: 2:02pm On Jun 22, 2012
Edu sounds too much like Edo.

Why that particular name and not something else?

1 Like

Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jun 22, 2012
We can't even use the 1999 constitution to create LGs not to talk of States.
Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jun 22, 2012
What does this do except create an entirely new avenue to steal more money from government funds?
Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by Yorisb: 11:15pm On Jun 22, 2012
2buff: What does this do except create an entirely new avenue to steal more money from government funds?

On point!

5 Likes

Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by ibide(m): 11:19pm On Jun 22, 2012
Pls we need urhobo state now

1 Like

Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by IYANGBALI: 11:20pm On Jun 22, 2012
which one is ewedu state again?small time now we go dey hear of amala state.

9 Likes

Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by julioralph(m): 11:23pm On Jun 22, 2012
IYA NGBALI: which one is ewedu state again?small time now we go dey hear of amala state.
I still dey laugh! cheesy grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by Excelboi(m): 11:25pm On Jun 22, 2012
Atlast, thank God! A state will be given to our people... Edu means Ocean! Am sure the capital will be Bida. Here we go Nupe guy to the core grin

3 Likes

Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by librangyps(f): 11:26pm On Jun 22, 2012
Yorisb:

On point!

seconded
Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by tpia5: 11:27pm On Jun 22, 2012
which ocean is being referred to?
Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jun 22, 2012
Reminiscent of a mother who keeps giving birth, despite not having food or money to sustain prior children.

14 Likes

Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by kiyosaki1(m): 11:30pm On Jun 22, 2012
This is the case of the more you look the less you see just a typical response from a typical politician David Mark is just playing old politics joke on the delegates nothing serious will emerge from it
Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jun 22, 2012
tpia@:
which ocean is being referred to?

River Niger ocean lol.. grin

They're also building a seaport there.. shocked grin

1 Like

Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jun 22, 2012
[size=14pt]Story of Nigeria[/size].

8 Likes

Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by Ejine(m): 11:35pm On Jun 22, 2012
tpia@:
Edu sounds too much like Edo.

Why that particular name and not something else?

"Edu" reminds me of my cousin whose name is "Chinedu" but is called "Edu" in the pet sense.

As soon as I saw this thread, I actually thought he had finally succeeded in having a state carved out of the latrine in his backyard in the village.

I was already thinking of rushing down to Delta Edu to come collect my post as Financial Secretary grin

Mtshheew! grin

4 Likes

Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by doofanc: 11:38pm On Jun 22, 2012
Evidently 'they' are in need of more avenues to loot. At least in the naija context thats what state creation signifies.
Noting more.
Smh
Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by amaham(m): 11:38pm On Jun 22, 2012
Is niger state really bigger than de whole southeast? If any nonsense aboki want a new state they will be comparing there landmass with southeast. Greedy nupe dudes
Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by IYANGBALI: 11:40pm On Jun 22, 2012
Excelboi: Atlast, thank God! A state will be given to our people... Edu means Ocean! Am sure the capital will be Bida. Here we go Nupe guy to the core grin
which ocean?una get ocean for niger state?make una dey decieve una self.Ewedu ko ogbono ni.
Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by Mankind8(m): 11:46pm On Jun 22, 2012
Oun ree... Ino kata sunkun? Takpa tribe will finaly get together. THERE IS A TRIBE IN KOGI STATE, TAKPA is what we call them, the own about 30% of Lokoja alone. THE Exist in Niger Indegineusly. And the also full in Kwara state. SOKO AYAHHHH. Now they are comming together under a name Edu, I think God dont want that tribe to die of profiliration and scatter_ism.
Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by Ejine(m): 11:48pm On Jun 22, 2012
amaham: Is niger state really bigger than de whole southeast? If any nonsense aboki want a new state they will be comparing there landmass with southeast. Greedy nupe dudes

Ya, it's about 3 times the whole of the South East.
But their population is about 2 to 3 million, meaning a significantly lower population density - meaning super-cheap land.

1 Like

Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by donigspain(m): 11:50pm On Jun 22, 2012
I believe there should be a reconsideration on the criteria for state creation in Nigeria. The already existing states were created without full consideration of the socio-cultural (ethnic) differences of Nigeria as a multi-ethnic entity and this may not be unconnected to the ever restive situations often witnessed in such states as Jos, Benue, Kogi, Nassarawa etc. Much said, I think I wholly support the creation of the more unifying EDU (whatever that means) state.

1 Like

Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by ektbear: 11:51pm On Jun 22, 2012
ogugua88: Reminiscent of a mother who keeps giving birth, despite not having food or money to sustain prior children.

+1

Woman collecting a welfare check for every additional kid she has sad

1 Like

Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by ektbear: 11:52pm On Jun 22, 2012
Ejiné:

"Edu" reminds me of my cousin whose name is "Chinedu" but is called "Edu" in the pet sense.

As soon as I saw this thread, I actually thought he had finally succeeded in having a state carved out of the latrine in his backyard in the village.

I was already thinking of rushing down to Delta Edu to come collect my post as Financial Secretary grin

Mtshheew! grin

grin grin
Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by ektbear: 11:52pm On Jun 22, 2012
The entire SE is about the size of Oyo State. So yeah, land-mass wise is pretty small.

Not that area is necessarily so relevant.
Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by bernieamce: 11:52pm On Jun 22, 2012
IYA NGBALI: which one is ewedu state again?small time now we go dey hear of amala state.
grin
guy u will not kill me o!
Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by aljharem(m): 11:54pm On Jun 22, 2012
not important right now

1 Like

Re: Senate Backs Creation Of Edu State by IYANGBALI: 11:57pm On Jun 22, 2012
Mankind8: Oun ree... Ino kata sunkun? Takpa tribe will finaly get together. THERE IS A TRIBE IN KOGI STATE, TAKPA is what we call them, the own about 30% of Lokoja alone. THE Exist in Niger Indegineusly. And the also full in Kwara state. SOKO AYAHHHH. Now they are comming together under a name Edu, I think God dont want that tribe to die of profiliration and scatter_ism.
your grammar na something else.Did you go to school at all?no problem sha you are from ewedu state sorry i mean edu state grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

90% Of Sokoto Legislators Decamp To APC / "President Buhari Will Do Better During His Second Term" – Senator Gaya Says / Farooq Kperogi Banned From Daily Trust

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.