Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,912 members, 7,821,182 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:25 AM

$3 Million Bribe: Lawan Did Not Act Alone In The Bribery Scam, - Police - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / $3 Million Bribe: Lawan Did Not Act Alone In The Bribery Scam, - Police (489 Views)

Gtbank Documents Show How Saraki Transferred $3 Million To U.S. / N10million Bribery Scam: Presidency In Dilema Over CCT Chair / Arunma Oteh, SEC Boss, Says House Of Reps Members Demanded N44 Million Bribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

$3 Million Bribe: Lawan Did Not Act Alone In The Bribery Scam, - Police by Babasessy(m): 8:24am On Jun 23, 2012
$3m bribe: Lawan goes spiritual
•Says: ‘God’ll vindicate me

Embattled lawmaker, Hon. Farouk Lawan, has taken his case to God. Lawan is being investigated by the police Special Task Force (STF) for his alleged role in the $3 million bribe deal over fuel subsidy probe report.

He was Chairman of the House of Representatives Ad-hoc Committee on Fuel Subsidy Payments. Lawan allegedly approached Chief Femi Otedola, Chairman of Zenon Oil to part with $3 million to enable the committee delete his company’s name from the panel’s report. But Otedola insisted that Zenon Oil did not commit any crime because as an outfit that deals in diesel, it could not have enjoyed anything from the Petroleum Subsidy Fund (PSF). The oil magnate said he succumbed to alleged pressure from Lawan to release the $620,000 part-payment in a “string operation” co-ordinated by the security agencies.

The audio and video evidence of the event submitted to the police by Otedola led to Lawan’s arrest, detention and release on bail last Saturday. He was suspended as Chairman of the Ad hoc committee as well as the Education panel. But yesterday, Lawan said that his travail was sanctioned by God and that at the end of the investigation, he would be vindicated by God. Police have so far recovered $10,000 of the bribe money while he is expected to produce the balance before the end of the week.

Appearing at the plenary session for the first time since his bribery allegation began two weeks ago, Lawan declared that God decided to allow him go through the current trial for some reasons. He did not state the reasons. The lawmaker, who was visibly shaken, told newsmen who besieged him at the end of the plenary session that he had no problem with the decision of the House to shove him aside as the Chairman of Education Committee and that of the ad hoc panel. According to him, the decision was taken to preserve the image and integrity of the House which he said is bigger that members.

“He said: “I think it is important to note that I have been a member of the House of Representatives for the past 13 years. Of course, together with several other colleagues of mine past and present and we have done so much to build the House of Representatives. It means to show that I should enjoy the respect and confidence of Nigerians.

Sounding spiritual and looking vaguely into the air, he said: “I just urge Nigerians to continue to be patient, I have not spoken on the issue for strategic reasons, but I believe in the end, Nigerians will come to believe and see that for the 13 years that I have invested in championing good governance , responsibility and probity in this country that this last trial is a trial from God and I believe in the end we shall prevai”, he said. Meanwhile, the STF may have to depend on the video recording of how the lawmaker allegedly collected the bribe money to prosecute Lawan.

Daily Sun gathered that this was necessary following the inability of the embattled chairman to produce the money as he had agreed to as one of the bail conditions that led to his release from police custody. Lawan, who reported to the Force Headquarters yesterday as promised, again failed to produce the bribe money he collected from Otedola. The lawmaker, who had promised to return a mere $5,000, from the $520,000, he collected from Otedola, the last time he visited the police headquarters, was said to have failed to fulfill his promise as he again came empty-handed.

A police source who would not want his name mentioned, said investigation has shown that Lawan did not act alone in the bribery scam, but, he is unwilling to reveal the names of his other accomplices in the act. He assured that Nigerians would soon get to know all those involved in the scandal in a matter of time.

Meanwhile, the police have invited all the members of the fuel subsidy probe committee to appear before it today to explain their roles in the loot.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/article/3m-bribe-lawan-goes-spiritual

(1) (Reply)

Boat Carrying Policemen, INEC Officials And Election Materials Capsized In Edo / Goodluck Ebele Jonathan's Speech On Leadership Skills . . . . / First Ladies' Land Tussle: Ex Fct Minister Blames Turai, Aliero

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.