Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:10 AM

Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People (51464 Views)

Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? / Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa / Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by keneudogu: 12:15am On Feb 10, 2016
Hello beautiful people,

FIrstly, thank you so much @Crayola1 for such an enlightening post. I wish we would actually teach more of Nigerian history as a whole in our schools. I believe its the key to the progress of our nation (one can not truly build without a foundation).

That being said, I'd like to know if there is a specific Nsibiri symbol for "PEACE"

I've done quite an extensive search and keep coming up short. you help will greatly be appreciated. smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Umu101: 6:11pm On Jul 24, 2016
Malawian:
@ Dudu, when you dig up yoruba script, i will hail you. Your problem probably is that your claims that yorubas are the most literate tribe in the country is under threat by this script. FYI, such scripts have been found in virginia usa and is said to have been from igbo slaves brought there. Lemme tell you what you are dreading to hear; while igbos were already reading and writting from antiquity, your tribe was busy trying to figure out how to cook Yoruba grin grin grin stop hatting igbos and humble yourselves to learn from us cos we are special people!
I agree that Igbo's are special, but they are only as special as their language is unique. the Yoruba will say kini(what is it) the Igbo will say (Ogini). so we are the same people but the fracturing of our ancestral families was what created the many dialects that later morphed into unique languages.
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by ProjectJF: 1:59pm On Sep 28, 2016
Can someone give me a link for Nsibidi dictionary (if that is possible) that is not in Scribd? For some reason, Scribd hates me.

Also, are there educational videos or books in learning the script? Apologies if it sounds like a stupid question.

The script really looks interesting to me. The moment I finished reading "Things Fall Apart", I was sold.
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by obong(m): 2:45pm On Sep 28, 2016
ProjectJF:
Can someone give me a link for Nsibidi dictionary (if that is possible) that is not in Scribd? For some reason, Scribd hates me.

Also, are there educational videos or books in learning the script? Apologies if it sounds like a stupid question.

The script really looks interesting to me. The moment I finished reading "Things Fall Apart", I was sold.

Things fall apart have nothing to do with nsibidi. Igbo generally has nothing to do with it
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Marcelini(m): 6:13pm On Sep 29, 2016
obong:

Things fall apart have nothing to do with nsibidi. Igbo generally has nothing to do with it

You are ignorant. Igbos have everything to do with Nsibidi. It was originated in Ekoi, and spread amongst the Igbos neighboring to Ekoi people, who advanced it more.
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Marcelini(m): 6:14pm On Sep 29, 2016
obong:

You are ignorant. Igbos have everything to do with Nsibidi. It was originated in Ekoi, and spread to the Igbos neighboring to Ekoi people, who advanced it more.
From your name, I am guessing you are Ibibio/Annang/Efik.

1 Like

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by ChinenyeN(m): 8:08pm On Sep 29, 2016
But it's true. The general Igbo populace actually has nothing to do with Nsibidi. Nsibidi really isn't something that "Igbo" can claim as part of a collective cultural heritage applicable to all Igbo. Perhaps that is what Obong meant.

1 Like

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by ProjectJF: 2:04pm On Oct 05, 2016
obong:

Ah, sorry if I was wrong. May I ask what society invented (or is mainly associated to) Nsibidi?

If possible, enlighten a total newcomer like me so that I do not mix up information. The Internet can only provide me much.
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Marcelini(m): 3:17am On Oct 06, 2016
ChinenyeN:
But it's true. The general Igbo populace actually has nothing to do with Nsibidi. Nsibidi really isn't something that "Igbo" can claim as part of a collective cultural heritage applicable to all Igbo. Perhaps that is what Obong meant.

And who was speaking of the general Igbo populace?

You just like seeking attention or what?

If a part of Igboland practices a culture, one is well within right to call it an Igbo culture. Knowing that Igboland is vast, a curious mind would then ask, what part of Igboland practices the culture.

You are not in Obong head, stop pretending you are and let him speak for himself.

Nsibidi is an Igbo culture, full stop.

1 Like

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by kompanie(m): 1:23am On Oct 08, 2016
Please how do I write "creation" or "to create" or "to make / making" in Nsibidi
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by OMAR12: 2:05pm On Oct 19, 2016
the nsibidi is something that I would really love to learn about and use frequently, it better and easily interpret Igbo language. how and where can I learn every piece of it, I have a large collection of those symbols. and am willing to pay to learn.

1 Like

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by OMAR12: 2:21pm On Oct 19, 2016
for we to effectively learn how to effectively use the nsibidi and promote it, we need to learn how to put it into writing or drawing which ever the case maybe, BT that the easy part, the hard part is interpreting it. this will foster the already solidified unity between the Igbo and our akwa ibom / cross river brothers.

1 Like

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by odensibiri: 6:25pm On Sep 12, 2017
kompanie:
Please how do I write "creation" or "to create" or "to make / making" in Nsibidi

OMAR12:
for we to effectively learn how to effectively use the nsibidi and promote it, we need to learn how to put it into writing or drawing which ever the case maybe, BT that the easy part, the hard part is interpreting it. this will foster the already solidified unity between the Igbo and our akwa ibom / cross river brothers.

Hello, if you're still interested in nsibidi, there is a project ongoing to bring the script into daily use, an exercise for learning nsibidi has been posted recently on Facebook. facebook.com/nsibiri

1 Like

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Feraz(m): 8:14pm On Sep 18, 2017
odensibiri:

Hello, if you're still interested in nsibidi, there is a project ongoing to bring the script into daily use, an exercise for learning nsibidi has been posted recently on Facebook. facebook.com/nsibiri
Are you the one running the page?
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by obong(m): 1:02am On Sep 20, 2017
Crayola1:

Which was said on the first page:

Nsibidi's origin is generally attributed to the Ekoi people of southern Nigeria.

So please exit right and don't let the door hit you on your as.s
yes but the impression that's given here is it's Igbo. That's why others want to correct it
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by obong(m): 1:04am On Sep 20, 2017
Roseart:

1st:
Nsibidi's origin is generally attributed to the Ekoi people of southern Nigeria. Alternatively J. K. Macgregor claimed in 1909 that it is traditionally said to have come from the Uguakima, Ebe or Uyanga tribes of the Igbo people, which legend says were taught the script by baboons,[3] although one writer believes Macgregor had been misled by his informants.[6]

2: I believe the word you are looking for is not "progressive" but "advanced". But who knows when it comes to people like you who have Igbophobia. And mind you the Aztecs had aquaducts and didn't have a form of w

3: If you are not even bothered to get off your lazy behind and read the first page of this thread it's okay not to comment. You look less ignorant and prejudice that way

Lastly:

If you care so much why are you not reviving it yourself since you have taken the Ekoi plight to heart? This guy who is doing this is actually doing something worthwhile, while you on the other hand...yeah doing pretty much nothing.
revive? Who told you it's dead. Go to ekoi and ibibios areas. It's used and is Alive
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by obong(m): 1:05am On Sep 20, 2017
Crayola1:

You should be insulted. You didn't even take the time out to read the very first page of this thread where what you state was already said and highlighted for everyone who reads this thread. You just say Igbo and ran with it like all the other Losers on Nairaland.

It was a comment born out of ignorance and igbophobia. Why make this comment:

Igbos should stop misintepreting history to assert themselves as a progressive tribe.

You exposed yourself.

The only other people talking to you are the voices inside your head. So go have a heart to heart with you imaginary friends and stop embarrassing yourself with your weak sauce defends for your silliness.

Would you even have anything to talk about if not for the same Igbo person, you are fixing your chapped and cracked lips to insult, decided to revive the dying script? No, so exit up out the thread and tell others like yourself to get bent with a rusty wrench.

Sheeesh.
anyone that disagree with Igbos is an Igbo hater. Abeg go and sit down

1 Like

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by obong(m): 1:09am On Sep 20, 2017
SonOfEl:
England began the game of football, but how you feel about football when you get to maracana stadium in Brazil?

Greek scripts originated from Phoenicia, yet A, B, C, D.....Z is of Greek.

NSIBIDI is considered ejagham by origin, but who popularized it with their innovations? IGBOS. That's why today Igbo names can be written in NSIBIDI, thats why Igbo essays can be written in nsibidi.
shut up. It wasn't popularized by Igbos. They're trying to claim it and that's why the owners are fighting them.
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by obong(m): 1:11am On Sep 20, 2017
imhotep:

This is the symbol for "Chi"
lies. Nsibidi doesn't translate to any Igbo word. That's not how the script is built. Trying to make it like the Roman alphabet shows your don't understand it and actually undercuts it being a reflection of Igbo culture
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by obong(m): 1:14am On Sep 20, 2017
Marcelini:

You are ignorant. Igbos have everything to do with Nsibidi. It was originated in Ekoi, and spread amongst the Igbos neighboring to Ekoi people, who advanced it more.
they have nothing to do with it. Certainly not it's creation. It's like Africans claiming the Roman alphabets. Igbos didn't advance it in any respect. It grew from the ekpe society
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by obong(m): 1:15am On Sep 20, 2017
ProjectJF:

Ah, sorry if I was wrong. May I ask what society invented (or is mainly associated to) Nsibidi?

If possible, enlighten a total newcomer like me so that I do not mix up information. The Internet can only provide me much.
invented by the ejagham and institutionalized in societies like the ekpe society.
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by obong(m): 1:17am On Sep 20, 2017
Marcelini:

And who was speaking of the general Igbo populace?

You just like seeking attention or what?

If a part of Igboland practices a culture, one is well within right to call it an Igbo culture. Knowing that Igboland is vast, a curious mind would then ask, what part of Igboland practices the culture.

You are not in Obong head, stop pretending you are and let him speak for himself.

Nsibidi is an Igbo culture, full stop.
thats deceptive. The culture was imported into a tiny part of Igbo land. It wasn't created by Igbos or practiced widely among Igbos. It's not a slur. Owners of the script merely want credit
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Wulfruna(f): 9:35am On Sep 20, 2017
obong:
they have nothing to do with it. Certainly not it's creation. It's like Africans claiming the Roman alphabets. Igbos didn't advance it in any respect. It grew from the ekpe society

From the very first page of this thread, credit was given to the Ekoi as the innovators of the system. It always amuses me when Akwa-Cross people get so worked up when Igbos discuss Nsibidi --- even after the Igbo have clearly stated that it was originally imported from outside Igboland.

Makes me wonder if Europeans get ticked off when Riverine men wear bowler hats as part of their culture. Or if Indians have a meltdown when we call 1,2,3 Arabic numerals. Even the Latin alphabet you are talking about was adopted by the Latin people (the Romans) from the Greeks with little improvements. You don't hear the Greeks crying and begging for credit. The credit is there in the history books; it is not going anywhere.

Nsibidi has been adopted and adapted into the fabric of Eastern Igbo culture for centuries now, and is part and parcel of Eastern Igbo heritage as much as it is yours. Find some way to live with that.

1 Like

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Feraz(m): 11:25pm On Sep 20, 2017
Wulfruna:

From the very first page of this thread, credit was given to the Ekoi as the innovators of the system. It always amuses me when Akwa-Cross people get so worked up when Igbos discuss Nsibidi --- even after the Igbo have clearly stated that it was originally imported from outside Igboland.

Makes me wonder if Europeans get ticked off when Riverine men wear bowler hats as part of their culture. Or if Indians have a meltdown when we call 1,2,3 Arabic numerals. Even the Latin alphabet you are talking about was adopted by the Latin people (the Romans) from the Greeks with little improvements. You don't hear the Greeks crying and begging for credit. The credit is there in the history books; it is not going anywhere.

Nsibidi has been adopted and adapted into the fabric of Eastern Igbo culture for centuries now, and is part and parcel of Eastern Igbo heritage as much as it is yours. Find some way to live with that.
I had to go back to the first page to be sure the OP did attribute the origin to Ekoi people and found it there. He also went further to talk about the Ekpe society. I wonder why the guy is irked. . .

1 Like

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by obong(m): 4:07pm On Sep 21, 2017
Wulfruna:

so what if it's woven in the fabric of Igbo culture. Despite centuries of use of the Greek alphabet the Europeans still refer to it as the Greek alphabet. Why the attempt to wrest this script from the ejagham ? What's all this about having used it for a while. In two centuries will the Greek alphabet now be Igbo because you've used it for a while. Or is it only applicable to small minority groups ?

I'm opposing those claiming that revived it. Those claiming because a small portion of Igbos imported the script that Igbos own it. I'm oppose those that imply the script somehow translates to Igbo and the general impression given that it's an Igbo creation. This is how culture is misappropriated. The word nsibidi isn't even Igbo.

And have you ever seen other Europeans claim tye greek alphabet is french or English ? It's properly attributed as the Greek alphabet. If the English tried to claim it I guarantee they'd be an uproar as there Should be. Merely stating it's an ekoi origin script and the going on to claim you revived improved and that it's Igbo through use is wrong and offensive. And I'll always call it out
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Wulfruna(f): 8:33pm On Sep 21, 2017
obong:
Why the attempt to wrest this script from the ejagham ?

No one, NO ONE, is wresting anything from the Ejagham! It is all in your head.

By the way, the Ibibio-Efik also copied it from the Ejagham , yet I have never seen people get this worked up when Ibibio-Efik discuss Nsibidi as part of their heritage. It is only a problem when it is Igbos. Check yourself.

What's all this about having used it for a while. In two centuries will the Greek alphabet Latin alphabet now be Igbo because you've used it for a while.

It is Latin alphabet, mate. See, it was adapted from the Greek alphabet by the Latins; and no one has the tiniest problem calling it the Latin alphabet. Pay attention; I already told you about that.

FYI, there is actually already an Igbo alphabet, based on the Latin one, of course. The Yoruba and many other African ethnicities also have their own alphabetical systems based on the Latin one. I'm sure the Italians wouldn't care if they knew.

I'm opposing those claiming that revived it. Those claiming because a small portion of Igbos imported the script that Igbos own it. I'm oppose those that imply the script somehow translates to Igbo and the general impression given that it's an Igbo creation. This is how culture is misappropriated. The word nsibidi isn't even Igbo.

Circles. Circles. Circles. For the umpteenth time, no one is claiming it is an Igbo creation. No one is claiming the word nsibidi is Igbo. Point to where the OP made those claims. You are only creating strawmen here. You are just making things up in your head. You and every other Akwa-Cross person that feels this way are.

And when people say they are reviving or have revived nsibidi, what they are referring to is the modern attempt to adapt a viable modern written script from the nsibidi system and make it a medium of communication outside the small closed-off Ekpe society. The people who I know who are invested in this project happen to be Igbo individuals.

And have you ever seen other Europeans claim tye greek alphabet is french or English ? It's properly attributed as the Greek alphabet Latin alphabet. If the English tried to claim it I guarantee they'd be an uproar as there Should be.

Well, the English call their alphabetical system (which they adapted from the Latin Alphabet) the English alphabet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_alphabet

And the French call theirs the French alphabet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_orthography#Alphabet

I want to assure you that as I type this there is no uproar in Italy or in Greece about it. smiley

1 Like

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by obong(m): 5:26pm On Sep 22, 2017
Wulfruna:

No one, NO ONE, is wresting anything from the Ejagham! It is all in your head.

By the way, the Ibibio-Efik also copied it from the Ejagham , yet I have never seen people get this worked up when Ibibio-Efik discuss Nsibidi as part of their heritage. It is only a problem when it is Igbos. Check yourself.

It is Latin alphabet, mate. See, it was adapted from the Greek alphabet by the Latins; and no one has the tiniest problem calling it the Latin alphabet. Pay attention; I already told you about that.

FYI, there is actually already an Igbo alphabet, based on the Latin one, of course. The Yoruba and many other African ethnicities also have their own alphabetical systems based on the Latin one. I'm sure the Italians wouldn't care if they knew.

Circles. Circles. Circles. For the umpteenth time, no one is claiming it is an Igbo creation. No one is claiming the word nsibidi is Igbo. Point to where the OP made those claims. You are only creating strawmen here. You are just making things up in your head. You and every other Akwa-Cross person that feels this way are.

And when people say they are reviving or have revived nsibidi, what they are referring to is the modern attempt to adapt a viable modern written script from the nsibidi system and make it a medium of communication outside the small closed-off Ekpe society. The people who I know who are invested in this project happen to be Igbo individuals.

Well, the English call their alphabetical system (which they adapted from the Latin Alphabet) the English alphabet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_alphabet

And the French call theirs the French alphabet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_orthography#Alphabet

I want to assure you that as I type this there is no uproar in Italy or in Greece about it. smiley

Adapted from. In other words they don't claim to have invented the system. That's the major difference. Like Japanese writing stemmed from Chinese. Big difference.

Perhaps you know of Igbos but the script has ever died. It was used outside of the so called closed ekpe society for many years. I grew up with it. It's secrecy largely died ages ago. It's present in art and tons of other places.

Efik people don't try to claim ownership of the script. That's the point. Talk to them. Nothing about reviving improving and all that talk. Many of the most stellar aspects of the culture stem from the qua (ejagham) that live in Calabar and is acknowledged. The only time you get this ownership dispute is when Igbos go on this claiming thing. Efik also have a different relationship to the qua than Igbos did/do.

Anyway this is getting overly repetitive.
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Crayola1: 4:34pm On Sep 23, 2017
Akagu, the nsibidi derived Igbo alphabet
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Crayola1: 4:36pm On Sep 23, 2017
Street markings! Like you see in some Asian countries
Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Crayola1: 4:37pm On Sep 23, 2017
Movie Posters grin

1 Like

Re: Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People by Nobody: 9:56am On Sep 27, 2017
obong:
lies. Nsibidi doesn't translate to any Igbo word. That's not how the script is built. Trying to make it like the Roman alphabet shows your don't understand it and actually undercuts it being a reflection of Igbo culture
So apart from Igbo-phobic rants, what exactly have you added to the conversation?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lady Slumped On Seeing Emir Sunusi (Photos) / Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba / Nigerians React To Oba Of Lagos Palace Fire Incident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.