Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,666 members, 7,823,884 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:23 PM

Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University (21746 Views)

Nigerian Sets Record, Scores 5.0 GPA In Russia.. / Emmanuel Ohuabunwa Earned 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University / Nigerian Breaks Academic Record At John Hopkins University-punch Newspaper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by crackhouse(m): 11:38am On Jun 26, 2012
gulfer: Even in these uncertain times, great things are coming out of Nigeria.
yeah indeed, it's coming out from Nigerians in overseas and not Nigerians in Nigeria.
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by Nobody: 11:39am On Jun 26, 2012
Spirit of Okija - You are damn right, the MOD must be racist? Or what do you think, my post was just hidden immediately it was posted. Another losre?
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by newmaonza: 11:39am On Jun 26, 2012
Another black man exceling in a stereotypically white field. .
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by Nobody: 11:39am On Jun 26, 2012
2good:

In as much as I understand your frustration, do you expect the bigger world to take blacks race serious with the high level of poverty and lack of growth on the African continent? I'm not trying to be anti African but raising a reality of what is happening in Africa.
The only solution to ending the stereotype you so despise is looking for how to develop Africa because almost everything we use or learn have been developed by other race. We have to look inward and ask ourself what is the problem with Africa first because getting angry will not solve the problem.

I am not frustrated at all. Only replied to the observation made by the poster. I have no doubt nor am I pessimistic on the ability of Africans to invent and build things. Africa has always been the cradle of civilization. Egypt is not in Africa by happenstance, it has been there for thousands of years, and if you went to Egypt today, you would see pyramids built with precision, absolute precision, that still baffles a lot of white scientists and engineers today. To top it all up, the builders erected and sculptured monoliths that look like us: Big/full lips, wide nose and prominent head; all these features show they were Africans/Blacks. To get to the spine of my comment, slavery did erase a lot of about who we were; which was the intent of it, and its only question of time, we will be reinventing ourselves as the fathers and mothers of civilization!

Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by gulfer: 11:43am On Jun 26, 2012
Keneking: Spirit of Okija - You are damn right, the MOD must be racist? Or what do you think, my post was just hidden immediately it was posted. Another losre?
Rephrase what you said and was hidden....
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by Jarus(m): 11:44am On Jun 26, 2012
Good one.

If this happened in a Nigerian university, some lazy students and graduates will rubbish it. Statements like 'it can't happen in my school; XYZ school dashes people grades; no, the school is glorified secondary school; if he came to my school, he would have had 3rd class; mathematically, it is not possible' etc would have started flying on this thread. I pity such people with negative, pessimistic mentality.
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by Intrepid1(m): 11:44am On Jun 26, 2012
no dullin:
slimming: so 3.9 GPA is a celebration in that university? when lots of people are making 4.5+ in Nigeria without international recognition.

I'm sure dis dude^^ don't knw that the University of Ibadan have a maximum CGPA of 7.0. I'm also sure he doesn't read very well before making inferences. I hope he is able to make a CGPA above 2.0.. That's if he is in school, cos I don't fink has graduated.

That got me LMA0!! BTW: anoda GEJ hater on d prowl~~

Congrats Emma!!
Truly 9gerians are intelligent... Its just dat d system does not bring out the best of our students...

Anyone that professes to 'like' jonathan needs to get his/her head checked by a witchdoctor!
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by newmaonza: 11:46am On Jun 26, 2012
lyfe: This guy would be lost in the crowd if he was in Nigeria. I think the educational system in the US brings out the best in you. Through out my final year as an undergraduate I used candle and light illuminating from my mobile phone to read, the incessant strikes and bad lecturers; that would tell you that you would fail his course at the beginning of his class and only bright student would manage to have C. It's no fun at all schooling in Nigeria.
My only concern for the dude is the Phi Beta group he joined has some elements of occultism.
which is better Phi Beta or

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by FEMARY1: 11:47am On Jun 26, 2012
omenka:
Are you blind or u are just another variant of gudluck jonathan. It says 3.98 out of a possible 4.0 and not 5.0 as we hav in naija. So tell me, between 3.98/4.0 and 3.9/5.0, which is greater?
He does not know what he is saying,just typing pra pra at his keyboard.
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by newmaonza: 11:49am On Jun 26, 2012
bezimo: This is coming at a time when the Ibos and yorubas are producing people of excellence, and bringing glory, honour and respect to themselves and the Nation, The Hausas are busy promoting and encouraging terrorism to tear the country apart.Congrats Ohuabunwa.
with this sort of biased comment nobody should blame d whites for Racism
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by 2good(m): 11:49am On Jun 26, 2012
Danka7777:

I am not frustrated at all. Only replied to the observation made by the poster. I have no doubt nor am I pessimistic on the ability of Africans to invent and build things. Africa has always been the cradle of civilization. Egypt is not in Africa by happenstance, it has been there for thousands of years, and if you went to Egypt today, you would see pyramids built with precision, absolute precision, that still baffles a lot of white scientists and engineers today. To top it all up, the builders erected and sculptured monoliths that look like us: Big/full lips, wide nose and prominent head; all these features show they were Africans/Blacks. To get to the spine of my comment, slavery did erase a lot of about who we were; which was the intent of it, and its only question of time, we will be reinventing ourselves as the fathers and mothers of civilization!

You response is similar to the Greeks always reminding us of the ancient civilization they once had. The world have moved far ahead of the ancient Egyptian civilization and the sooner African realise that the better for them. You can be happy that 3,000 years ago Africa was doing well, but in the contemporary world, all those civilizations are a thing of the past and does not add value to the life of a common man.
My point is people are suffering from poverty that is why a greater chunk of the African population is looking for how to leave Africa to other continent. Leave history alone and face the present except you can use the history to improve the life of Africans.

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by Nobody: 11:51am On Jun 26, 2012
Nwa Aro oke igbo , a proud son O̶̷̩̥̊͡F Arochukwu kingdom,
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by Image123(m): 11:56am On Jun 26, 2012
and some dumbo atheist would say belief in God is an hindrance to progress or success.
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by pufectskin: 11:57am On Jun 26, 2012
dont be a dyk head...There is nothing occultic about joining a fraternity in college...atleast not in the US.
I am a member of a Business Fraternity (Delta Sigma Phi); which I joined in my university in Florida cos I maintained
a high GPA. We dont do anything occultic so shut your mouth if you dont have any evidence. Just cos the frats in nigeria
are filled with murderous losers doesnt mean frats/sororities abroad are like that.
lyfe: This guy would be lost in the crowd if he was in Nigeria. I think the educational system in the US brings out the best in you. Through out my final year as an undergraduate I used candle and light illuminating from my mobile phone to read, the incessant strikes and bad lecturers; that would tell you that you would fail his course at the beginning of his class and only bright student would manage to have C. It's no fun at all schooling in Nigeria.
My only concern for the dude is the Phi Beta group he joined has some elements of occultism.
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by Nobody: 11:57am On Jun 26, 2012
2good:

You response is similar to the Greeks always reminding us of the ancient civilization they once had. The world have moved far ahead of the ancient Egyptian civilization and the sooner African realise that the better for them. You can be happy that 3,000 years ago Africa was doing well, but in the contemporary world, all those civilizations are a thing of the past and does not add value to the life of a common man.
My point is people are suffering from poverty that is why a greater chunk of the African population is looking for how to leave Africa to other continent. Leave history alone and face the present except you can use the history to improve the life of Africans.

NO NO NO my brother, I will disagree with you on this. Knowledge of who your forbears were is very critical to what you become tomorrow. Yes the world has moved, but we must keep and know our history for the benefit of our children. HISTORY IS NEVER PAST!

I get your point people are suffering, yes all because we lost focus of who we were. Do you and can you understand that slavery and colonialism had a tremendous effect on the psyche of africans? All what we are facing today is as a result of these. It will take a while to wean ourselves of these damage.
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by Sagamite(m): 11:59am On Jun 26, 2012
2good:

So fcking well said again.

Make persin continue to take glory from 5 billion years ago. tschew!
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by bukatyne(f): 12:01pm On Jun 26, 2012
Sagamite:

When he grows up, I hope he drops this lame unscientific part of his thinking.

Later, some lunatically western law would say a woman is entitled to half because he made it by being married to her.

When his parents do not even have a right to claim a cent.
some of us believe in the divine intervention of God. He stil speaks to us on a daily basis. ve a nice day
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by queensmith: 12:01pm On Jun 26, 2012
2good:
In as much as I understand your frustration, do you expect the bigger world to take blacks race serious with the high level of poverty and lack of growth on the African continent? I'm not trying to be anti African but raising a reality of what is happening in Africa.
The only solution to ending the stereotype you so despise is looking for how to develop Africa because almost everything we use or learn have been developed by other race. We have to look inward and ask ourself what is the problem with Africa first because getting angry will not solve the problem.

Well in a very basic sense you need to look at the standards we are using to measure things like poverty and development. What are we using to weight our development? Who are we using as an example.

Who standard are we going by with the 4.0 average, who determines how intelligent we are? Who are we (as blacks) competing against?

It's going to be a never ending race if we continue to try and model ourselves on the West.

What Africa needs is it's own identity.
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by sigmundfreud(m): 12:02pm On Jun 26, 2012
Nevertheless, I learned three things at Air Force that have served me well in the US.
I learned discipline, adaptability and
resilience. These attributes helped me a
lot in US,” he said.
Well said!
The system is just killing us here.
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by luckyflair(m): 12:02pm On Jun 26, 2012
That is Awesome! Nigerians r really proud of you,keep on the good work guy...
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by Sagamite(m): 12:06pm On Jun 26, 2012
bukatyne: some of us believe in the divine intervention of God. He stil speaks to us on a daily basis. ve a nice day

If anything is speaking to you in your head, believe me it is not God, it is what is called schizophrenia.

I am not saying you should not believe in divine intervention, but TRUST ME God does not speak to you. That is nonsense!
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jun 26, 2012
queensmith:

Well in a very basic sense you need to look at the standards we are using to measure things like poverty and development. What are we using to weight our development? Who are we using as an example.

Who standard are we going by with the 4.0 average, who determines how intelligent we are? Who are we (as blacks) competing against?

It's going to be a never ending race if we continue to try and model ourselves on the West.

Thanks. Well said! People sometimes negate the importance of "Identity"

2 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jun 26, 2012
queensmith:

Thumbs up at the bolded part...

Africa is backward, and poor because Europe has failed to leave us alone - tell them to release their grip on the African continent, and watch Africa rise again...

Tell IMF, World Bank, and Europe to keep their 'Aids' - and leave us to our destiny, to find our REAL identity.. Is that too much to ask for?
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by Standing5(m): 12:08pm On Jun 26, 2012
Nigerians will always be Nigerians!!! How does a High CGPA solve our problems? A good achievement though but most times these kind of folks don't match result with impact.
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by FindOut(m): 12:09pm On Jun 26, 2012
Sky-walker:

I was about to say the same thing? Why use 1st black man?Does that mean after all this years , a black man finally achieved. you meant to celebrate the guy as an individual,not by the color of his skin.

lol... Yeah, u r right, but remember that d colour of his skin is still BLACK (or brown.lol), & that can never be separated from him. Obama being described as the first BLACK president of the US isnt an insult, same as the description of this kid's achievement here. We are not all the same, but then, there is(should be) unity in diversity bro.
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by newmaonza: 12:10pm On Jun 26, 2012
queensmith:

well said
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by crackhouse(m): 12:10pm On Jun 26, 2012
slimming: so 3.9 GPA is a celebration in that university? when lots of people are making 4.5+ in Nigeria without international recognition.
sounds like u are jealous. Anyway, the guy made 3.98 out 4.0 and not 5.0 so stop talking about sb that have 4.5 in Nigeria cos they are not the same. He can only be equated with sb that have 4.98 in Nigeria, o.k? Besides, our system of education gives room to all sorts of things like exam malpratice, sorting, paying sb to write ur exams and so on but u hardly do such things in America. So u could imagine that, that guy must have gone through a lot of hardworks before getting to that position. Pls spare him that ur jealousy talks and appreciate him o.k.
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jun 26, 2012
Congrats to the guy, it proves what I've always argued that most of the best black brains are born on the 'dark continent' of Africa...

I hope he would be able to transform this into practicality - we sure don't need another nerd, who can't transform being book smart into practicality..
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by Sagamite(m): 12:11pm On Jun 26, 2012
Standing5: Nigerians will always be Nigerians!!! How does a High CGPA solve our problems? A good achievement though but most times these kind of folks don't match result with impact.

And it is the Alao Akalas like slimming you prefer to the High CGPA folks?
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jun 26, 2012
Standing5: Nigerians will always be Nigerians!!! How does a High CGPA solve our problems? A good achievement though but most times these kind of folks don't match result with impact.

That was what I was talking about, when I said practicality... It's one thing to be book smart, and it's another thing to be able to be a problem solver in the real world... Most people can't balance the two, I hope he would be able to do that, and bring more glory to Nigeria.
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by Sagamite(m): 12:17pm On Jun 26, 2012
queensmith:

What a stewpid write up!

So our identity is not to have access to 3 square meals, good healthcare, good education, public amenities, security and all the other stuff that makes life easier?

Or what else is used for assessing poverty and development? What would you use to measure that will not lead to Africa still being extremely backward and underdeveloped.

These questions also go out to all the people that praised this dumb write up.
Re: Emmanuel Ohuabunwa 1st Blackman With 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jun 26, 2012
This is nice,coming from a Nigerian

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Kendra Jumbo: First Class ABSU Med. Lab. Science Best Graduating Student (Photos / 7 Types Of People You Meet In An Exam Hall / Jamb Cut Off Mark

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.