Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:12 AM

GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly (10077 Views)

Northern Lawmakers Kick Against Birth Control, Say It Is Anti- Islam. / Obasanjo Returns $200 Million To National Treasury. / Fashola Signs Building Control Bill Into Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by free2ryhme: 8:33am On Jun 27, 2012
[img]http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/thumbnail.php?file=Swearing_in_of_National_population_commission_Chair__4__686996316.jpg&size=article_medium[/img]
Government is contemplating a legislation to control population growth, President Goodluck Jonathan said yesterday.

Dr. Jonathan said although the issue of population regulation is very sensitive, government cannot fold its arms until the country’s population becomes uncontrollable.
The President spoke at the inauguration of the Chairman and Commissioners of the National Population Commission (NPC) at the Presidential Villa in Abuja.
He said Nigeria would not be the first country to make law on birth control, adding that religious belief should not be a tool to frustrate a good policy.
Former Managing Director of Nigeria Brewery PLC, Chief Festus Odumegwu, was inaugurated as Chairman of the Commission. Twenty two of the 23 appointed Commissioners took the oath of Office and oath of Allegiance.

The Commissioner representing Sokoto, Sen. Jubril Gada, was absent.
The President assured that government would carry out enough sensitisation before making the law controlling birth and population.
He also directed the NPC team to begin advocacy on birth control and promised government support and funding.

“For us to plan properly, we must manage our population, but it is extremely sensitive, we are extremely religious people, either you are a Christian or Moslem.
“Both Christians and Moslems and even traditionalists believe that children are God’s gifts to man, so it is difficult for you to tell any Nigerian to limit the number of their children because they are gifts of God.
“It is a very sensitive thing but we must begin to think about it. We must begin to think about how we manage it

“The key thing is that how you will through your advocacy come up with plans and programmes that as a way of advocacy you begin to encourage Nigerians to have the number of children they can manage before government comes up with clear policies and guidelines.
“First and foremost is the personal consciousness that people should get the family they can manage.

“Sometimes you get to somebody’s house living in a well furnished duplex. The husband and wife there may have two, three four children. The maiguard guiding them have nine children. That is the scenario you have.
“That means there is a segment of the population that knows that you must get a number that you can manage but the other segment of the population don’t.
“If you are use to military barracks you see that the officers, General this, Major General this, Brigadier this, Colonel this have three, five children but those that have no rank have eight, twelve.

“This is the scenario. The people up, probably because of their level of education know that they must control thei population, but the people down, because of the level of exposure and education are still not aware that you must control your population.“So first and foremost, before government comes up with regulations, guidelines or laws, Nigerians must be made to know that we cannot continue to procreate and procreate even though we know children are God’s gifts,’’ he said.

The President noted that Nigeria would not be the first country to make laws controlling population and religious belief should not be a tool to frustrate good policy.

Meanwhile, the President has also set 2015 deadline for National Population Commission (NPC) to complete the issuance of national Identity Cards to all eligible Nigerians.
According to the president a situation where government had spent lot of fund on the project without getting results is not acceptable.

He said the Commission should liaise with the Presidential Committee on the National Identity Card to ensure its prompt completion.
T
he President has also asked the Commission to commence the process for the 2016 National Census because of its importance to national growth.

“There cannot be genuine sustained development if it is not anchored on accurate and reliable data.
“No meaningful planning is possible without dependable data and statistics. This informs why we have chosen these distinguished men and women to run the affairs of NPC,’’ he said.
The president also charged them to demonstrate the highest standard in the discharge of their duties and warned them against primordial divisive tendencies.
He also warned the Commission not to subject the sensitive issue of census figure and demographics to the expediency of cheap political advantage and political discord. The President commended the immediate past leadership of the Commission for effective 2006 Census and charged the new members to consolidate on the achievements.

The new board has three female commissioners. These are Mrs Roli , Mrs Sheyi Olusanya and Mrs Cecilia Dakwot .
Others members are, Mr David Danuwa (Adamawa), Mr. Moses Ekpo (Akwa Ibom), Alhaji Mohammed Hamman (Borno), Alhaji Idi Baba Yakubu (Cross River) , Dr Tunde Lakoju (Edo) and Mr Bala Mogaji (Gombe).The Commissioners also include; Mr. Nwogu Emmanuel (Imo), Alh. Mohammed Suraju (Kano), Mr.Mohammed Akuboh (Kogi), Alhaji Abubakar Ndake (Kwara), Mr. Zakare Umaru-Kifo (Nasarawa) and Chief Olalere Oyewumi (Osun)We also have; Dr. Oluremi Akogun (Ondo), Mr. Donald Wokoma (Rivers), Sen. Anguno Sunday-Zik (Taraba), Prof. Simon Chika (Anambra), Dr. Chima Uzor (Enugu), and Mr. Chris Okereke (Ebonyi).

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/51817-%E2%80%98govt-to-make-birth-control-law%E2%80%99.html

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by Onlytruth(m): 9:03am On Jun 27, 2012
A quiet revolution is taking place with the appointment of a distinguished Nigerian in the person of Festus Odimegwu as the new NPC boss. We may finally have a credible census. Let's watch.
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by inspirenet: 10:38am On Jun 27, 2012
Onlytruth: A quiet revolution is taking place with the appointment of a distinguished Nigerian in the person of Festus Odimegwu as the new NPC boss. We may finally have a credible census. Let's watch.
undecided
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by Nobody: 10:39am On Jun 27, 2012
It's only on a Nigerian forum that a topic about birth control will lead to a response about revolution.

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:04pm On Jun 27, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
It's only on a Nigerian forum that a topic about birth control will lead to a response about revolution.

Leverage is important in Politics grin grin
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by IleIfe2(m): 1:05pm On Jun 27, 2012
Oboy hope our mallams won't take this personal. well, polygamy is a widespread thing in Nigeria, so no wahala.
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by fagamite: 1:06pm On Jun 27, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Revolution isnt just about arms and bloodshed . . . How come they didnt teach you that at UF? I am afraid you may have wasted your most productive years. No wonder White people think college is not for Black people . . . they may after all be right
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by tjdj: 1:09pm On Jun 27, 2012
grin At first i thought i saw "GEJ to send birth control "PILL" to national assembly ...i would have loved that, those polygamous lawmakers needed that

5 Likes

Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by Clemzy16(m): 1:11pm On Jun 27, 2012
Same thing as usual, ain't gonna work in this country. Not the Nigeria i know.
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by executinal(m): 1:11pm On Jun 27, 2012
Good,hope government will be strict with the policy.
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jun 27, 2012
I wonder why GEJ always has to mention that Nigeria would not be the first when he brings up a topic though. Because another nation has done it (and succeeded) doesn't mean it will work in Nigeria. Not with our kind of selfish politicians.

I do agree with this though. Birth control and immigration as Nigeria is super-overpopulated. Wish we could see the bill as it's easy to talk about any kind of change in Naija for how many terms and not do squat.

2 Likes

Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by cold(m): 1:12pm On Jun 27, 2012
fagamite:

Revolution isnt just about arms and bloodshed . . . How come they didnt teach you that at UF? I am afraid you may have wasted your most productive years. No wonder White people think college is not for Black people . . . they may after all be right
grin grin
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jun 27, 2012
Gej will prove us wrong
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by xrazzy(m): 1:12pm On Jun 27, 2012
i can't wait to get a copy of the bill! How exactly is the president planning to actualize this? compulsory condom? fertility killing belt? or intercourse - controlling police?
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by cogbuagu: 1:13pm On Jun 27, 2012
How many children do they want a family of husband and wife have?
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by lacasa: 1:15pm On Jun 27, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
grin
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by canuck(m): 1:15pm On Jun 27, 2012
GEJ is courting TROUBLE with this one - Another OK policy that has not been thought through.

Country is still grappling with BH and govt official uses "Maiguard" as a poster child for ignorant folks? Ha! I no dey o!

There are several areas of the polity that is lacking, requiring govt attention. Population explosion is only a problem in Nigeria because unemployment is so high and productivity is so low - Why not deal with the root causes of those problems FIRST?

Shagg!ng and breeding are the poor man's solace in Nigeria. . .And you want to mess with that?!!

2 Likes

Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by francis247(m): 1:15pm On Jun 27, 2012
Good move. But they should take more realistic steps towards improving the living standard and wellbeing of the already existing populace for God sake.
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by Obinoscopy(m): 1:17pm On Jun 27, 2012
Its a welcome development!

However I'd have suggested he rechristened the name to 'Family Planning Bill.' The name 'Family Planning Bill' will be more acceptable than 'Birth Control Bill' among both the christians and muslims

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by Kay17: 1:17pm On Jun 27, 2012
Liberalize birth control methods. eg abortion.

francis247: Good move. But they should take more realistic steps towards improving the living standard and wellbeing of the already existing populace for God sake.

That would take years and decades, however overpopulation strains the little economy and govt resources. I think its an immediate problem, so needs immediate solutions.
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by flexshop(m): 1:20pm On Jun 27, 2012
shocked
tj-dj:
grin At first i thought i saw "GEJ to send birth control "PILL" to national assembly ...i would have loved that, those polygamous lawmakers needed that

Falls from mango tree

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by crackhouse(m): 1:26pm On Jun 27, 2012
fagamite:

hehe, i wonder o
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by Ibime(m): 1:27pm On Jun 27, 2012
This law is a non-starter from day one since polygamy is legal in our society.

If you apply the law to a man with 4 wives, you impinge on his God-given right to sire children with each of his wives.

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jun 27, 2012
I havent seen extreme criticisms yet. Nigeria is changing....
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by canuck(m): 1:30pm On Jun 27, 2012
Ibime: This law is a non-starter from day one since polygamy is legal in our society.

If you apply the law to a man with 4 wives, you impinge on his God-given right to sire children with each of his wives.

Tell them!

For the life of me, I don't know why anytime TROUBLE dey sleep GEJ go carry YANJA go wake am!

A population of 160 Million is only a problem to a cluess govt - Go ask what the US is doing with their 312 Million - Put 160 Million people to work/business/enterprise and Nigeria will be among the greatest nations on earth!!!

I say again: Shagg!ng and breeding are the poor man's solace in Nigeria. . .And you want to mess with that?!!

Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by canuck(m): 1:32pm On Jun 27, 2012
Billyonaire: I havent seen extreme criticisms yet. Nigeria is changing....

Are you a GEJ Criticism Hunter? What's your own sef?

Talk dey for ground you dey talk about criticsm.
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by bakjal(m): 1:32pm On Jun 27, 2012
Ile-Ife:
Oboy hope our mallams won't take this personal. well, polygamy is a widespread thing in Nigeria, so no wahala.
Mst u put sentiment in all ur life?pls grow up...

3 Likes

Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jun 27, 2012
Although our natural resources are tremendous but the way they are being managed by these dullard.s and coupled with the fact that there is no hope of any imminent positive changes I agree that we need that pill (bill). Let it be 2 per marriage.
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by crackhouse(m): 1:36pm On Jun 27, 2012
If that's the case, then they should be prepared to legalise abortion and to fight the parents of almajiris because they don't stop production until they go 6ft. Good move though.

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by maasoap(m): 1:42pm On Jun 27, 2012
Reyginus: Gej will prove us wrong
My friend, no bill anywhere. He only said this because of the programme he attended and that was all you would hear about the issue. Do you even know how many bills that have been passed but only awaiting Jonascam signing/assent.
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by ebamma(m): 1:46pm On Jun 27, 2012
for this rainy season?,
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by Fhemmmy: 1:48pm On Jun 27, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Lol . . I laff in Igbo language

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Osinbanjo Orders Nnamdi Kanu To Be Released War / Ecstatic Tradermoni Beneficiary Receives Osinbajo In Nasarawa (Photos) / Faces Of Nigerians Politician We Are Proud Of.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.