Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,645 members, 7,823,830 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets (7224 Views)

Bot Gives Jonathan March Deadline To Reject Sheriff / 2015: PDP Gives Jonathan 1-week Ultimatum To Declare Interest / Delta Kidnap-Kingpin Gives Jonathan A 60-day Ultimatum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by EbonyBlond: 10:33pm On Jun 27, 2012
LAGOS, June 26, (THEWILL) – A Lagos-based civil society group dedicated to promoting transparency and accountability in the use of the country’s natural resources has given President Goodluck Jonathan seven days to comply with the Freedom of Information Act by either declaring his assets between May 2007 and May 2012 or facing a law suit that would ultimately compel his compliance.

The group, Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP), made the demand in a letter couriered to the president on Tuesday morning, describing his aversion — made public during his media chat with select journalists on Sunday night — to asset declaration as a clear desecration of the Nigerian constitution.

The president had stunned the country during the chat when he burst out that he didn’t “give a damn” about declaring his assets because the law was clear about it, and that making his assets public was “no issue,” as he would “not play into the hands” of the people.

“I have nothing to hide,” Jonathan said. “I declared [assets publicly] under the late President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua because he did it, but it is not proper. I could be investigated when I leave office. You don’t need to publicly declare it and it is a matter of principle. It is not the president declaring assets that will change the country.”

SERAP articulated its disappointment in the president’s statement, arguing that it violated both the Nigerian constitution and the UN Convention against Corruption, to which Nigeria is a state party.

“Specifically, Section 153 of the Constitution establishes a Code of Conduct Bureau to ensure, among other things, that all public officers, as defined in Part II of the Fifth Schedule, declare their assets on assuming office and immediately their terms of office expire,” the letter, signed by Adetokunbo Mumuni, executive director of the non-governmental, not-for-profit organisation, said.

“Paragraph Three of Part 1 (A) of the Third Schedule, empowers the Bureau to receive declarations made by all public officers, examine same and keep them in custody. Paragraph 3(C) says the Bureau shall have the power to ‘retain custody of such declarations and make them available for inspection by any citizen of Nigeria on such terms and conditions as the National Assembly may prescribe.’”

It further argued that the UN Convention against Corruption similarly necessitates that public officials deposit information to relevant authorities on their outside activities, employment, investments, assets and substantial gifts or benefits from which a conflict of interest may arise with respect to their functions as public officials.

SERAP lamented that the president’s utterances reflect his government’s lack of political will to lead by example, and to combat the “endemic grand corruption” plaguing the country and besetting its millions of innocent citizens.

“Your statement is also inconsistent with the action of a president who signed into law the Freedom of Information Act. We believe that disclosure of assets is crucial for ensuring that public officers’ personal interests, including that of the president as the leader of the nation, do not conflict with their duties and responsibilities.

“Public disclosure also helps to provide a baseline and, thus, means for comparison to identify assets that may have been corruptly acquired and that a public official may legitimately be asked to account for.”

Continuing, SERAP wrote: “Your statement may also have breached the provisions of chapter two of the 1999 Constitution dealing with Fundamental Objectives and Directive Principles of State Policy, which among others require the government to take steps to eradicate corrupt practices and the abuse of power.

“By virtue of Section 1 (1) of the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act 2011, SERAP is entitled, as of right, to request for or gain access to information, including information on the assets declaration by the president of Nigeria, being a public document within the meaning of the FOI, and which is in the custody or possession of any public official, agency or institution.

“By virtue of Section 4 (a) of the FOI Act when a person makes a request for information from a public official, institution or agency, the public official, institution or urgency to whom the application is directed is under a binding legal obligation to provide the applicant with the information requested for, except as otherwise provided by the Act, within 7 days after the application is received.

“By Sections 2(3)(d)(V) & (4) of the FOI Act, your excellency is under a binding legal duty to ensure that documents containing information relating to your assets declaration are widely disseminated and made readily available to members of the public through various means.”

The group further argued that the requested information does not belong to the class exempted from disclosure by the provisions of the FOI Act. It then expressed hope of receiving the sought information “within seven days of receipt and/or publication of this letter,” after which its registered trustees would be forced to explore relevant legal actions under the Freedom of Information Act to enforce the president’s compliance.

http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/nvnews/93333/23/serap-issues-seven-day-asset-declaration-ultimatum.html
Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by Beaf: 10:39pm On Jun 27, 2012
Why can't they just go straight to court if they are serious?

I really doubt that FOI can make the declaration public.
If they weren't all about getting publicity for themselves, they could simply have walked quietly into the Code of Conduct Beareau to obtain a copy of GEJ's current asset declaration.

5 Likes

Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by TrueNaijaguy: 11:58pm On Jun 27, 2012
SERAP is looking for cheap popularity. Its very clear the President did not violate any law so why make it a headline. Could it be they havent read the costitution or that they are simply ignorance of the fact that public declaration of assets is not in our constitution.

3 Likes

Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by EbonyBlond: 1:03am On Jun 28, 2012
I have marked that seventh day. Let's see what will happen cos GEJ "does not give a damn"

2 Likes

Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by Murphy7h4: 1:15am On Jun 28, 2012
Good point
Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by CyberG: 1:20am On Jun 28, 2012
Most newly made IDs by Jonadumb's shaite licker trying to distract the thread! LOL grin grin

2 Likes

Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by Mandelaguy(m): 2:23am On Jun 28, 2012
How many times will I tell all these ignoramus that I went to CCB and was givien the asset declaration form filled by the president? Can't they stop ridiculing themselves and go down there and get a copy? Must they stick their ignorance down our throats? This is becoming too appalling. SERAP or SHUT UP, get your acts right!
Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by Johndoe100(m): 2:33am On Jun 28, 2012
Beaf: Why can't they just go straight to court if they are serious?

I really doubt that FOI can make the declaration public.
If they weren't all about getting publicity for themselves, they could simply have walked quietly into the Code of Conduct Beareau to obtain a copy of GEJ's current asset declaration.

Word!!!!
Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by dedeike: 2:42am On Jun 28, 2012
These guys are just clowns. Who do they seek to deceive? Do you need an order of mandamus to access a declaration form deposited with CCB? I thought they said the President did not declare. They even had to hire one illiterate professor all the way from Ghana to come and propagate these lies without proper briefing. It's so unfortunate. The opposition is so desperate.
Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by uzomagic(m): 2:47am On Jun 28, 2012
CyberG: Most newly made IDs by Jonadumb's shaite licker trying to distract the thread! LOL grin grin
Since I joined Nairaland before your idiocy became manifest, i don't need a new Id to know that you're one pathetic f.ool. You have a morbid fear of learning and the only reason you're flaunting this level of ignorance is that you're incapable of learning. You and your daft cronies at serap only need to realise that you don't need this lousy noise and absolutely irrelevant ultimatum to get the President to declae his assets.
Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by ubandire(m): 3:30am On Jun 28, 2012
Foolishness can never come in a better form. I don't want to believe what I just read. They are waiting for 7 days to elapse before enforcing the provisions of a law that was duly passed by the National Assembly and signed by the president. Nothing can be more dumb. Is there no lawyer in that group? Even if there's none, can't they seek proper legal advice from a lawyer? I don't understand how a group of people will issue an ultimatum to the President to do what the laws of the land doesn't mandate him to do. Section 140 (1) provides explicitly that "A person elected to the office of the president shall not begin to perform the functions of that office until he has declared his assets and liabilities as prescribed in this constitution and he has taken and subscribed to the oath of allegiance and the oath of office as prescribed in the seventh schedule to this constitution" There was no stipulation whatsoever as to Open declaration. What the law requires is the declaration in the prescribed form. And Gej did just that. Therefore, Anybody or group of persons seeking the president to go beyond the borders of constitutionality to make an open declaration of his Assets is a dreamer or at best disillusioned. The president has fulfilled the law by filling his assets declaration form and submitted same accordingly to CCB. He doesn't give a f**king damn about any ignoramus or Boko haram agent who wants him to make it public.In fact, it's unlawful to do so. Those truly desirous to hve access to it must approach the CCB. it is only when they fail to assist, that one can resort to legal action thru FOI as signed by GEJ. If this whole SERAP stunt is not just showmanship, I don't see any reason why they should be threatening to institute legal action in order to obtain a document which can be made available to them on demand. It's just laughable.

1 Like

Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by Mekusnwa: 3:44am On Jun 28, 2012
Lol. Soon they will begin to issue ultimatum for the President to sleep with his wife. Very confused bunch
Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by Mandelaguy(m): 7:10am On Jun 28, 2012
Mandelaguy: How many times will I tell all these ignoramus that I went to CCB and was givien the asset declaration form filled by the president? Can't they stop ridiculing themselves and go down there and get a copy? Must they stick their ignorance down our throats? This is becoming too appalling. SERAP or SHUT UP, get your acts right!
they will not talk,or are they all still sleeping?
ubandire: Foolishness can never come in a better form. I don't want to believe what I just read. They are waiting for 7 days to elapse before enforcing the provisions of a law that was duly passed by the National Assembly and signed by the president. Nothing can be more dumb. Is there no lawyer in that group? Even if there's none, can't they seek proper legal advice from a lawyer? I don't understand how a group of people will issue an ultimatum to the President to do what the laws of the land doesn't mandate him to do. Section 140 (1) provides explicitly that "A person elected to the office of the president shall not begin to perform the functions of that office until he has declared his assets and liabilities as prescribed in this constitution and he has taken and subscribed to the oath of allegiance and the oath of office as prescribed in the seventh schedule to this constitution" There was no stipulation whatsoever as to Open declaration. What the law requires is the declaration in the prescribed form. And Gej did just that. Therefore, Anybody or group of persons seeking the president to go beyond the borders of constitutionality to make an open declaration of his Assets is a dreamer or at best disillusioned. The president has fulfilled the law by filling his assets declaration form and submitted same accordingly to CCB. He doesn't give a f**king damn about any ignoramus or Boko haram agent who wants him to make it public.In fact, it's unlawful to do so. Those truly desirous to hve access to it must approach the CCB. it is only when they fail to assist, that one can resort to legal action thru FOI as signed by GEJ. If this whole SERAP stunt is not just showmanship, I don't see any reason why they should be threatening to institute legal action in order to obtain a document which can be made available to them on demand. It's just laughable.
hahahahahahahah ,now I know, they just realised they goofed. Lazy,uninformed, cheap popularity seeking slow pokes. So funny to say the least.
Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by Abagworo(m): 7:31am On Jun 28, 2012
Tribalism has be-clouded the reasoning of fools.

1 Like

Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by Americasman(m): 8:47am On Jun 28, 2012
EbonyBlond:

http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/nvnews/93333/23/serap-issues-seven-day-asset-declaration-ultimatum.html

Another attention seeking organisation. Dont worry you're not the first neither shall you be the last.
Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by amosy007: 8:51am On Jun 28, 2012
Another group of hungry mofoz trying to gain cheap recognition and waiting for ghana must go of naira from aso rock..*yawnz*. I tink its time 4 me to create group to
Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by redsun(m): 9:12am On Jun 28, 2012
That is why nigeria will never change,because nigerian the populace is fundamentally stu.pid,especially those that parades themselves shamelessly here,supporting evil.

What is bad in twisting the rogue constitution and making the obviously rogue president declare his ill gotten asserts(loots) in an obvious rogue state like niggeria? An action that will mean a step towards normalcy.

1 Like

Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by CHIDIEJIOGU: 9:21am On Jun 28, 2012
redsun: That is why nigeria will never change,because nigerian the populace is fundamentally stu.pid,especially those that parades themselves shamelessly here,supporting evil.

What is bad in twisting the rogue constitution and making the obviously rogue president declare his ill gotten asserts(loots) in an obvious rogue state like niggeria? An action that will mean a step towards normalcy.

WHY DO YOU CONTINUE WITH THIS SENSELESS ARGUMENT?
AND DO NOT CALL PEOPLE ROGUES JUST BECOS YOU CAN TYPE RUBBISH.
IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE PRESIDENTS' DECLARED ASSET,GO TO CCB SIMPLE.
Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by Goddex: 9:23am On Jun 28, 2012
Rubbish.
Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by Nobody: 9:33am On Jun 28, 2012
SERAP is really giving President 7-Days ultimatum ? See vex! And they do not know how to go about obtaining the document they need ? These people are pure old school. Its myopic in this generation to expect Presidents to come and stand on national TV and say I own this amount, such documents have certain places they are filed even with the IRS for purpose of taxation. Oh I forgot, their name is SERAP, when you walk in the mud, the sound the feet make when lifting up from the mud, sounds, serap! serap!! serap!!!......
Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by qualified(f): 9:35am On Jun 28, 2012
@redsun, serap and all those seeking cheap popularity, shame on u! Giving ur president ultimatum? Which country uses such word on her president, talk more of, when they are making baseless claims. Clowns!
Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by manugbo(m): 9:55am On Jun 28, 2012
SERAP SHOULD JUMP INTO THE LAGOON

CHEAP POLITICIANS

DID YARDUA DECLERED HIS OWN

WHAT OF ALL OTHER PAST PRESIDENTS

OH MAYBE THEY HAVE SEEN JONATHAN AS A VERY QUIET MAN

EVEN BIGOTS CAN NOW BLAB THEIR MOUTH ANYHOW

SERAP PLS SHUT UR DIRTY MOUTH
Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by jmaine: 10:06am On Jun 28, 2012
redsun: That is why nigeria will never change,because nigerian the populace is fundamentally stu.pid,especially those that parades themselves shamelessly here,supporting evil.

You really messed up here . . . Your inapt post reeks with the highest form of repulsive idiocy . . . . . . .
Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by genxris: 10:23am On Jun 28, 2012
Attention seeking group.,let them jump into d atlantic if they are serious..rubbish SERP
Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by Afam4eva(m): 10:29am On Jun 28, 2012
Every tom, dick and jerry will just wake up one morning after losing his job to form a stup1d group so that the government will take them serious and start settling them. Buncha thieves. SERAP ko SHARAP ni.
Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by waja(m): 10:34am On Jun 28, 2012
SERAP PLEASE SHARRAP

1 Like

Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by ifihearam: 10:43am On Jun 28, 2012
So amongst all the issues the president hinted on,its only the assets declaration that attracted these fools. I am counting the days with them. Jobless fools
Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by redsun(m): 10:45am On Jun 28, 2012
Oyinbo dey confuse una! If most of u buffons intuitively understands the meaning of the word rogue,u will rope animals like gej with used tyres and burn them alive, like u barbarians do to helpless pickpockets
Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by rhymz(m): 11:03am On Jun 28, 2012
CyberG: Most newly made IDs by Jonadumb's shaite licker trying to distract the thread! LOL grin grin
you prolly think I am also new too right?
Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by Zutchy: 11:03am On Jun 28, 2012
The simple truth is that as long as GEJ is president he will continue to be a topic or a medium through whom you can score cheap popularity by castigating,so once any Tom,Dick and Harry wants to get public attention all he has to do is cook up any bullshit and just add the name of the president and it becomes news,well welcome to Nigeria.these attention seeking bunch of scallywags should please just go to CCB and get a copy of the presidents asset declaration if it is all that so important to them,please let them stop blowing hot air we are getting tried of listening to bullshit it is becoming old news.
Re: SERAP Gives Jonathan 7-day Ultimatum To Declare Assets by Mandelaguy(m): 11:14am On Jun 28, 2012
Close this stupid thread please!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fashola Receives U.S Diplomats, Urges Deeper Global Cooperation / I Remain PDP Chair, Sheriff Tells Court / Kogi Chief Of Staff, Pharm Asuku Trains And Empowers 100 Youths In I.T

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.