Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,811 members, 7,817,355 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:50 AM

Mothers Please Talk To Me. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mothers Please Talk To Me. (6615 Views)

Wife Lost 15kg In 3 Months: Mothers Please Advice. / Mothers Please Be Our Tutor During The 9 Months. / Mothers......... Please Help My Baby. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by Angymatini: 1:14pm On Jul 02, 2012
Dear,is nt ord oil,

bt de 1 4rm de soup,

tellin u dis 4rm exprie,

my elder sis use 2 do it & she d 3bys & a girl,

so i pick 4rm her & it works 4 me.

sorry 4 nt explanin tins wel 4 u on tym.

bt u can leave him, he ll still eat
Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by Akpunwa(f): 5:52pm On Jul 02, 2012
Thanks Efemena for addressing the force feeding issue.
Pls Joy follow the link she provided and read. Resist the temptation to force feed...it's not safe at all. You may have been lucky all these while , u can't say what'll happen next.
@PrettyCindy, you nko? If na u, u go gree leave the warmth of yummy booby for ordinary plate and spoon? Give my boy what he wants biko.
BTW, it's common wit exclusively breastfed babies. Keep trying, he'll adjust.
#MOTHERS ROCK!#

1 Like

Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jul 02, 2012
jennykadry:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

what is you own
Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by EfemenaXY: 7:15pm On Jul 02, 2012
Akpunwa: Thanks Efemena for addressing the force feeding issue.
Pls Joy follow the link she provided and read. Resist the temptation to force feed...it's not safe at all. You may have been lucky all these while , u can't say what'll happen next.
@PrettyCindy, you nko? If na u, u go gree leave the warmth of yummy booby for ordinary plate and spoon? Give my boy what he wants biko.
BTW, it's common wit exclusively breastfed babies. Keep trying, he'll adjust.
#MOTHERS ROCK!#

No worries. I just felt that it was important to highlight how dangerous the force feeding practice is. It's also an ugly thing to do to a poor defenceless baby.

I keep seeing the picture of the nurse's baby girl, Diamond Dwomoh in my mind's eye. It's such a sad, sad case and I hope the little one is with the angles.

Anyway, enough said on that issue. Let he / her who has ears, hear and learn from others experiences.
Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by blank(f): 7:24pm On Jul 02, 2012
Please, it is good to counteract wrong teachings. I was also told that was the best way to get babies to eat. My mum was not in support but i heard from so many people that i felt it was okay. The day he almost choked to death was an eye opener for me. I cried and cried and cried. The very next day, i read this story that u put up in the link and just gave thanks to God for His mercies.

It is a very dangerous practice. Do not try to force feed. Like i learnt, they will eventually eat cos they won't want to starve themselves. My son was exclusive for 6 months and i breastfed him for a year. Initially, it was a struggle for him to eat solids, now he eats every single thing and will fight you for your plate of food. He only eats golden morn in the mornings.

2 Likes

Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by ebose09: 7:59pm On Jul 02, 2012
PrettyCindy: It has been a thug of war getting my baby to eat now that am trying to introduce solids to him. He just won't eat anything apart from brea.st milk. I have tried pap, rice cereals, beans pudding, mashed potato with egg yoke, even expressed brea.st milk into the bottle for him, he refused to feed from the bottle and won't eat when spoonfed. He won't eat anything that is not coming from the brea.st. When i want to spoonfeed him, he will clasp his lips and gums shut.

I' m seriously worried because he may not be getting enough from brea.st milk.
Please how did you wean your baby? Was it difficult like this? What tricks did you use to get him/her to eat?
Your contributions will be appreciated. Thanks.
I 6mnth baby!!!!! He still need all they breast milk he can get,in my case I started by extracting milk into bottle then beg some1 else to feed her wit it,then I introduced soya meal(I.e combination of soya beans,crayfish,groundnut and millet) al thou she refused it at start but I was consistent wit it and I add plenty honey to make it sweet,gradually I introduced goldenmorn den I enrolled her in a creche were her caregiver forcefully feed her during d day but she refused to stop breast milk @ nite till she was 1yr and 2month,what I did when I wanted to wean her was that I made sure I make thick tea in a flask before going to bed cos she will always wake to suck,when she wakes I forcefully make her take d tea.thou it was not easy but after few days of d practice we stopped breast feeding ourself.so I introduce b complex and mutivitamins that will boost her appetite she has no choice but to eat.
Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by EfemenaXY: 8:32pm On Jul 02, 2012
ebose09:
I 6mnth baby!!!!! He still need all they breast milk he can get,in my case I started by extracting milk into bottle then beg some1 else to feed her wit it,then I introduced soya meal(I.e combination of soya beans,crayfish,groundnut and millet) al thou she refused it at start but I was consistent wit it and I add plenty honey to make it sweet,gradually I introduced goldenmorn den I enrolled her in a creche were her caregiver forcefully feed her during d day but she refused to stop breast milk @ nite till she was 1yr and 2month,what I did when I wanted to wean her was that I made sure I make thick tea in a flask before going to bed cos she will always wake to suck,when she wakes I forcefully make her take d tea.thou it was not easy but after few days of d practice we stopped breast feeding ourself.so I introduce b complex and mutivitamins that will boost her appetite she has no choice but to eat.

Illiteracy is indeed a curse.

Despite all that's been said and demonstrated on this thread, some people still post their ignorant views here.

Mtcheew!

1 Like

Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by Nobody: 11:16pm On Jul 02, 2012
my sister I don't understand these people carrying out child abuse dressing it up as giving a child food. This force feeding of a thing tire me self - anyway don't worry when more mothers get locked up in holloway prison then maybe it will open some peoples eyes to this nonsense practice
Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by Nobody: 4:52am On Jul 03, 2012
cotton101:

what is you own
shocked shocked
Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by PrettyCindy(f): 6:11am On Jul 03, 2012
@Ebose, please kindly explain the preparation methods for the soya meal. I actually do add store bought soya beans powder to his pap. Or are we talking about the same thing?

PS: PLEASE ITS NOT ADVISABLE TO FEED A BABY LESS THAN 1YEAR OLD HONEY. In doing that you are exposing the child to Botulism caused by Clostridium botulinum, a deadly bacteria which is sometimes present in honey. Doesn't affect adult but can kill a baby. Google botulism for more information.
Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by ebose09: 1:26pm On Jul 03, 2012
PrettyCindy: Thanks joy. I have been doing the things you described in the first post. It just breaks my heart to hear him cry (but as soon as i dont put anything in his mouth again, he suddenly starts smiling and you will never believe it was the same baby that was screaming down the house seconds ago).
About the distraction, you are right on that one. Another thing that i “manage“ to use to distract my baby is music. He loves the sound of music so i just play him songs from my phone and immediately he starts to concentrate on that (even though he has no idea what he is hearing) while i try my best to feed him.

The only thing with my baby is that even if he willingly opens his mouth for food, trust him to use his little tongue to push almost everything out. I will use his spoon to scrape the food from his chin, feed him again and same thing happens. We continue with that process till the spoon becomes empty and by the time we are through with one spoon, its almost 15minutes so you can imagine how long it will take by the time he starts eating up to 5spoons. Well, GOD DEY.
This extactly d way my gal behaves if she does not want d food u can't force her to eat it....she pushes it out with her tounge but with time she started eating nw she even tyry using d spoon herself.
B4 I forgot,my pedrician adviced dat if u do 6month exclusive it not adviceable to bottlefeed instead u spoon feeding
Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by ebose09: 1:52pm On Jul 03, 2012
Efemena_xy:

Illiteracy is indeed a curse.

Despite all that's been said and demonstrated on this thread, some people still post their ignorant views here.

Mtcheew!
Efemena I don't blame u,madam over sabi mtcheeew
When I say FORCEFULLY I didn't mean d way u took it(can a sleeping mother or a caregiver in school forcefully feed a child d way u took it)
What I meant was not given in to her refusal to eat.let me explain to u beta if u give her d 1st time she reject it let her b,when she crys for food again give her d same food she rejected b4 u do dat for 3time she will eventual take it, dat wat I meant Madam LITERATE.

3 Likes

Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by ebose09: 1:57pm On Jul 03, 2012
PrettyCindy: @Ebose, please kindly explain the preparation methods for the soya meal. I actually do add store bought soya beans powder to his pap. Or are we talking about the same thing?

PS: PLEASE ITS NOT ADVISABLE TO FEED A BABY LESS THAN 1YEAR OLD HONEY. In doing that you are exposing the child to Botulism caused by Clostridium botulinum, a deadly bacteria which is sometimes present in honey. Doesn't affect adult but can kill a baby. Google botulism for more information.
Yes we are talking about d same thing here but I make it myself
Thanks for bringing d honey thing to my notice althou my gal is 16month nw,can she take it or wat can I use instead I don't feel confortable given sugar
Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by ebose09: 3:50pm On Jul 03, 2012
PrettyCindy: @Ebose, please kindly explain the preparation methods for the soya meal. I actually do add store bought soya beans powder to his pap. Or are we talking about the same thing?

Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by PrettyCindy(f): 4:08pm On Jul 03, 2012
ebose09:
Thanks for bringing d honey thing to my notice althou my gal is 16month nw,can she take it or wat can I use instead I don't feel confortable given sugar

Sugar ke! Since she is over a year you can give her honey but in little quantities. But if the child is less than 1 year, honey is a big no. Their milk already contains sugar so you don't have to sweeten the pap with honey again. But if you must add, please half a teaspoon should be ok.

On a lighter note, you de spoil your baby with sweet mouth o! Abeg take am easy.
Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by PrettyCindy(f): 4:09pm On Jul 03, 2012
ebose09:

Sugar ke! Since she is over a year you can give her honey but in little quantities. But if the child is less than 1 year, honey is a big no. Their milk already contains sugar so you don't have to sweeten the pap with honey again. But if you must add, please half a teaspoon should be ok.
Please kindly post recipe and method of preparation for soya meal to this thread. I will love to make some for my little man. Thanks.

On a lighter note, you de spoil your baby with sweet mouth o! Abeg take am easy.
Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jul 03, 2012
ebose09:
When I say FORCEFULLY I didn't mean d way u took it(can a sleeping mother or a caregiver in school forcefully feed a child d way u took it)
What I meant was not given in to her refusal to eat.let me explain to u beta if u give her d 1st time she reject it let her b,when she crys for food again give her d same food she rejected b4 u do dat for 3time she will eventual take it, dat wat I meant Madam LITERATE.

Yea, I thought this was what you meant when you mentioned "forcefully", I mean not giving in to her refusal

2 Likes

Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by EfemenaXY: 6:52pm On Jul 03, 2012
ebose09:

My dear, no need to blame me, especially when under-sabi people like you try to impart their village views on others.

Define the term Forcefully used in your context:

** "...her caregiver forcefully fed her..." (advocate of child abuse)

** "...I forcefully make her take..." (perpetuator of child abuse)

You use the same word twice where you know you meant against her will. Abi? Now you wan claim ignorance say you nor fit express yourself properly. If you have nothing useful to contribute, 'tis best to shut your trap and not post misleading statements.

And I mean this in a nice way.

2 Likes

Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by obasijoy(f): 7:06pm On Jul 03, 2012
@ebose09 thanks for explaining to them the word "forcefully" how will a other choke her own baby. Feeding the baby with wide open feeding bottle doesn't mean you will pour it in his mouth till the baby chokes. As he cries, you pour it little by little, and rub his back. Its a way of making him get used to another taste of food. I used the method, it worked perfectly for me even my sister and my brother's wife used that method too and it worked for them. As a baby grows, he or she can control choke. A baby of 1day - 3months can't control choke easily, that's one of the reasons why bosom feeding till 6months is important. The advice is meant for the matured minded people. Have you seen most yoruba ladies feed their baby b4? You will run away b/c they will turn the baby's head upside down and feed him/her.
@prettycindy for the soya beans or milk, I also used it on my son its really awesome, if you can't prepare it just go to the market and buy it. Its not expensive big bottle is 300. is all about choice.

1 Like

Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by EfemenaXY: 7:15pm On Jul 03, 2012
obasijoy: @ebose09 thanks for explaining to them the word "forcefully" how will a other choke her own baby. Feeding the baby with wide open feeding bottle doesn't mean you will pour it in his mouth till the baby chokes. As he cries, you pour it little by little, and rub his back. Its a way of making him get used to another taste of food. I used the method, it worked perfectly for me even my sister and my brother's wife used that method too and it worked for them. As a baby grows, he or she can control choke. A baby of 1day - 3months can't control choke easily, that's one of the reasons why bosom feeding till 6months is important. The advice is meant for the matured minded people. Have you seen most yoruba ladies feed their baby b4? You will run away b/c they will turn the baby's head upside down and feed him/her.
@prettycindy for the soya beans or milk, I also used it on my son its really awesome, if you can't prepare it just go to the market and buy it. Its not expensive big bottle is 300. is all about choice.

Is your baby's gut a sink, where you pour stuff into?
Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jul 03, 2012
Efemena_xy:

Is your baby's gut a sink, where you pour stuff into?

abeg o - i don't have energy to laugh at all this. don't worry i understand you - someone is trying to give us a different meaning to force and pour. I knew I should have studied harder during english then I would have made an A* instead of B grin grin

1 Like

Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by deybowlah: 11:55pm On Jul 03, 2012
PrettyCindy: It has been a thug of war getting my baby to eat now that am trying to introduce solids to him. He just won't eat anything apart from brea.st milk. I have tried pap, rice cereals, beans pudding, mashed potato with egg yoke, even expressed brea.st milk into the bottle for him, he refused to feed from the bottle and won't eat when spoonfed. He won't eat anything that is not coming from the brea.st. When i want to spoonfeed him, he will clasp his lips and gums shut.

I' m seriously worried because he may not be getting enough from brea.st milk.
Please how did you wean your baby? Was it difficult like this? What tricks did you use to get him/her to eat?
Your contributions will be appreciated. Thanks.
@ poster I almost didn't open this tread cos of the title but thank God I did. I am also in this same dilemma. My baby girl is 6months too and was exclusively breastfed tho I extract in bottle. Since she was 2months cos I work. I am having problem introducing solid. She accepted rice cereal and applesauce for first few days and suddenly stopped. She accept some food and rejects some. Its frustrating preparing food and at the end your baby doesn't get to take a spoon. My advice to you is to keep trying don't get discouraged.I noticed my girl prefers adult food she wants too taste my food even if she will still spit it out but she likes ewedu,moi moi coaster biscuit. You can also try feeding him with ur clean fingers he mite prefer dat to spoon. You also said he sometimes get to take 2spoons, that's ok for now . The main gist is that bossom milk is still their primary source of feeding for the first year all the solid is just exploring.
Don't worry he mite nurse more often but bossom milk is still enough.
My inlaw( husband's uncle's wife) that is taking care of my baby has suggested putting the pap or cereal in bottle she even mentioned force feeding I stylishly rejected it. They have been complaining about exclusive since she was 2months( no water no herbs nothing) they already know me as always saying her doctor said this said that stuffs lol.
To the soyabeans issuen be careful in introducing that as I heard many babies re alergic to soybeans. Start with only pap then later add only the soybeans(no crayfish and groundnut) then watch for allergy before u can now add the crayfish and stuffs. In short one food at a time. Do u knw aw to make the soyabeans urself? I can help with dat
Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by obasijoy(f): 1:54am On Jul 04, 2012
@efemena I too know I too sabi please my baby doesn't have a sink ok. B/c the feeding bottle's mouth is wide opened, u don't press it any more rather it pours on it's own so you feed your baby with it gradually as he cries ok. Didn't put this advice for little minded person like you. I have given my own advice on how I feed/introduced solid for my lovely handsome son after 6 months of bosom feeding and it worked for me so please just drop yours and stop interfering into other people's advice ok.

2 Likes

Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by PrettyCindy(f): 3:51am On Jul 04, 2012
@debowler, thank you. Am no longer worried since other mothers who exclusively breas.t feed their baby have experienced it and from this thread, i now know its a very normal occurence.
Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by PrettyCindy(f): 5:59am On Jul 04, 2012
@Joy, how are you and your baby doing, hope you guys are great. You said you can help out with the procedure for processing soya beans. Please post it here or to my email. Thanks.
Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by EfemenaXY: 7:59pm On Jul 04, 2012
obasijoy: @efemena I too know I too sabi please my baby doesn't have a sink ok. B/c the feeding bottle's mouth is wide opened, u don't press it any more rather it pours on it's own so you feed your baby with it gradually as he cries ok. Didn't put this advice for little minded person like you. I have given my own advice on how I feed/introduced solid for my lovely handsome son after 6 months of bosom feeding and it worked for me so please just drop yours and stop interfering into other people's advice ok.

Dishing out the insults eh? I never begin handle you and you done start to dey cry. grin grin

Okay, let's have a recap of all the crap you've posted, seeing as your peanut sized brain done dey forget things:

obasijoy: @prettycindy I also passed through this b/c I did exclusive on my son. At 6 months it was very hard for him to eat any other food but I thank God who gave me the knowledge to hand it. Buy cerelac/milk for him. Mix the normal proportion in a feeding bottle. If its milk you wanna give him, mix the normal ML for 6 months I think about 150ml-250ml. If its cerelac you also mix it properly in a feeding bottle with milk and make it watery for him. Use your teeth to open/cut the feeding bottle's mouth wide. let the feeding bottle have a big opening so that the prepared food can pour easily inside his mouth as he cries. Remember you are doing him good. Beat/pitch him small in his bommbom let him cry and open his mouth. As he does that you continue pressing the feeding bottle to pour to food in his mouth till he finishes it. B/4 2/3 days the taste of the food will master his mouth $ he will be eating it normal. Secondly you can allow him go hungry, prepare his meal and leave the house so that your sister or anyone your with can feed him. He will also eat normal. Children do shakara on what to eat whenever their mummy is around. If they are hungry and didn't see you, they can eat anything available in the house. Mine now he eats noodle two packets, rice $ beans, garri with egusi soup. Many things and he hasn't sick for a day.

obasijoy: @ebose09 thanks for explaining to them the word "forcefully" how will a other choke her own baby. Feeding the baby with wide open feeding bottle doesn't mean you will pour it in his mouth till the baby chokes. As he cries, you pour it little by little, and rub his back. Its a way of making him get used to another taste of food. I used the method, it worked perfectly for me even my sister and my brother's wife used that method too and it worked for them. As a baby grows, he or she can control choke. A baby of 1day - 3months can't control choke easily, that's one of the reasons why bosom feeding till 6months is important. The advice is meant for the matured minded people. Have you seen most yoruba ladies feed their baby b4? You will run away b/c they will turn the baby's head upside down and feed him/her.

So you do all this in the name of feeding your baby and you call it useful advice??!!

* Pour

* Beat

* Pinch

* Force

* Choke

What next, you crazy woman?? Shebi you go add slap and konk knock the baby's head to get him to eat?

Wicked soul! angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jul 04, 2012
Efemena_xy:

Dishing out the insults eh? I never begin handle you and you done start to dey cry. grin grin

Okay, let's have a recap of all the crap you've posted, seeing as your peanut sized brain done dey forget things:

So you do all this in the name of feeding your baby and you call it useful advice??!!

* Pour

* Beat

* Pinch

* Force

* Choke

What next, you crazy woman?? Shebi you go add slap and konk knock the baby's head to get him to eat?

Wicked soul! angry angry

Efe! easy on the poor girl na, haba.
Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by EfemenaXY: 8:10pm On Jul 04, 2012
^^ Bobo Y shocked shocked shocked

Na you be dis?? Where've you been all this while? grin grin

& What are you doing here sef? cheesy
Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jul 04, 2012
Efemena_xy: ^^ Bobo Y shocked shocked shocked

Na you be dis?? Where've you been all this while? grin grin

& What are you doing here sef? cheesy
i'm thinking of having a baby. I see you haven't lost none of your sponk eh cheesy
Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by EfemenaXY: 8:33pm On Jul 04, 2012
^^ Ah! So there's a bun in the oven then eh?

Congratulations daddy!

re: the latter part of your statement, what can I say?...Allegation denied! I'm innoncent tongue cheesy
Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by obasijoy(f): 6:38am On Jul 05, 2012
@efemena you must be a short girl. Not just short but too short b/c your type always seek for notice. I don't have time to exchange words with ya ok. He is my lovely handsome son and not yours so please you can feed us that's if you have any the way you want. If you see my handsome lovely son, you wouldn't even open your mouth to talk poo rather you will be asking me what I'm feeding him. So please mind your business short girl. I have already noticed you.
@cindy we are bubbling in good health thanks. Hope your big boy is bouncing too.

1 Like

Re: Mothers Please Talk To Me. by EfemenaXY: 7:20am On Jul 05, 2012
obasijoy: @efemena you must be a short girl. Not just short but too short b/c your type always seek for notice. I don't have time to exchange words with ya ok. He is my lovely handsome son and not yours so please you can feed us that's if you have any the way you want. If you see my handsome lovely son, you wouldn't even open your mouth to talk poo rather you will be asking me what I'm feeding him. So please mind your business short girl. I have already noticed you.
@cindy we are bubbling in good health thanks. Hope your big boy is bouncing too.

You think say you get mouth eh?

Don't worry, I'm a bit busy now - but I'll come back for you. I go enter you properly today!

Better watch your back girl...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If You're In Need Of A Nanny For Your Kids I'm Available. / Genetically Whom Do You Take After In Your Family? / See The Family Portrait Which Has Gone Viral

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.