Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,164 members, 7,821,949 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:34 PM

Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars (26240 Views)

Nigerian Army Visits Innoson Manufacturing Plant At Nnewi Anambra (Pics) / Bus Carrying Wedding Guests Crashes Into Military Armoured Vehicle In Bauchi / Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by badesco(m): 6:59pm On Jun 29, 2012
Nigerian Navy recently unveil their locally made War Ship and now it is Nigerian Army.
It is a right step im right direction and it further shows that Nigeria is now advance
in technology. Nigeria is working GEJ is working.
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jun 29, 2012
Nigerian army can perform better. D ones produced by d Biafran soldiers were at least ok, even during war. See below...

Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by ocelot2006(m): 7:09pm On Jun 29, 2012
shymmex:

It's the same APC with some adjustments - stop hallucinating.. undecided

And how do you know this?

From what I've gathered from a source, the APC to be commisioned is a copy of that made by Proforce, not a production version of the Obasa brothers' prototype.
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by Beaf: 7:29pm On Jun 29, 2012
[img]http://beegeagle.files./2012/06/apc.jpg[/img]

VARIANTS
-Police–Pf1
-Armoured Personnel Carrier-Pf1
-Combat Surveillance –Pf1
-Missile Weapon Carrier -Pf1
-Command & Control Vehicle-Pf1
-Ambulance- Pf1

CHARACTERISTICS
Fording: 800mm
Slide Slope: 40%
Gradient: 60%
Obstacle: 500mm
Trench: 750mm

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION
MTU 4R 106 Td21 Diesel Turbocharged- Intercooled( Euro 3)
Welded Ballistic Steel Armour Complied to STANAG 4569 Level 1
Controls and Instruments

FEATURES
Electrical system: 24 V(2 X 12V)
Air conditioning system: 6 kW cooling capacity, spot cooling
Armament – main: 7.62mm GPMG (Pintle Mount), 2 banks of 3 x 76mm Grenade Launcher
Armour protection-(Kinetic-all round): STANAG 4569 Level 2 (Level 4-optional), STANAG 4569 Level 1(Level 2 & 4- optional)
Land mine: STANAG 4569 Level 2b (Level 3a- optional)
Winch: 4,000kg (9,000lb) electric type & portable
CCTV system: Heavy duty outdoor for all round observation
PA system: Siren PA with speaker
Searchlights: Fitted at front & rear of the vehicle

PERFORMANCE CHARACTERISTICS
Max. forward speed (km/h): 110
Max. reverse speed (km/h): 15
Min. crawl speed (km/h): 4
Cruising speed (km/h): 90
Cruising range (km/h): 500
Cruising long range tank (km/h): 800
Acceleration 0 to 80 (secs): 26
Turning circle (wall to wall): 14.5
Power to weight ratio: 21.5
ENGINE
Type: MTU 4R 106 Td21, 4cy. In-line. Diesel
Turbocharged-Intercooled (Euro 3)
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by BlackBaron: 7:41pm On Jun 29, 2012
mai gaskiya: which ogun state dm tel u say armourd car na biscuit nd squadron.oludo wetn yoruba no 4 enginerng
You lack manners and talk like a 7 year old but here you go.
http://www.proforcedefence.com/index.php/production-plant
Company's website.
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by Arosa(m): 7:48pm On Jun 29, 2012
Nice one, next we should gather our best brains from around the world and start working on the development of intercontinental missiles. cool
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by leastpay(m): 7:54pm On Jun 29, 2012
Don't 4get biafrans were d 1st 2 build a locally made APc .
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by GAR3TH(m): 8:29pm On Jun 29, 2012
tonyfrenzy: Nigerian army can perform better. D ones produced by d Biafran soldiers were at least ok, even during war. See below...

Biafra did not manufacture any APC, LAV or tanks. The APC Biafra had in their military were the same ones Nigeria stationed in the eastern region before the war. The same ones Nigeria Bought from the British prior to the beginning of the war. The vehicles in your picture is a British made Alvis Saladin [left] and the other one is a British made Alvis Saracen I [right].

leastpay: Don't 4get biafrans were d 1st 2 build a locally made APc .

Read Above, Biafra did not create anything. I still to this day dont understand why you guys like cooking up stories. What APC did Biafra build?
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by ocelot2006(m): 8:34pm On Jun 29, 2012
tonyfrenzy: Nigerian army can perform better. D ones produced by d Biafran soldiers were at least ok, even during war. See below...

Please stop right there. Those APCs in your pic from the War Museum are actually BRITISH made APC used by the NIGERIAN ARMY during the civil. The APCs made by the Biafrans were crude contraptions. That said, the Federal side made a big mistake destroying all technical drawings and plans on those vehicles. We couldve improved on them.
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jun 29, 2012
GAR3TH:

The vehicles in your picture is a British made Alvis Saladin [left] and the other one is a British made Alvis Saracen I [right].
I'm still wonderin hw u gt 2 see those tinz even whn d vehicles in d pix aren't close. Go there n check 4 ursef 2 see hw rough n rugged they are 2 know they can't b produced by d Brits. (Mind u I can't be emphatic they were produced by d Biafrans cuz i wasnt a witness bt those tinz are not refined 2 British standard, my man)
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jun 29, 2012
BlackBaron: EDIT

Here she is. Known as the Proforce pf1 APC. Manufactured in Ogun state.
Abegi. The prototype of this vehicle was used im the 1st world war. Google it. America has updated this vehicle close to 100 times. The latest one is unmanned (not driven physically). It is controlled from the base. Hahahahahaha. Naija Self.
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by Beaf: 9:42pm On Jun 29, 2012
GAR3TH:

Biafra did not manufacture any APC, LAV or tanks. The APC Biafra had in their military were the same ones Nigeria stationed in the eastern region before the war. The same ones Nigeria Bought from the British prior to the beginning of the war. The vehicles in your picture is a British made Alvis Saladin [left] and the other one is a British made Alvis Saracen I [right].

Read Above, Biafra did not create anything. I still to this day dont understand why you guys like cooking up stories. What APC did Biafra build?

Definitely not true. Biafra manufactured several amoured vehicles:

Genocide
Also the nickname for a home made Biafran armored vehicle used during the battles for Ikem and Obollo Eke in 1967. Federal forces destroyed it.

Red Devil
Biafran home made Armored vehicle adapted from tractors and other earth moving equipment or captured or old vehicles. Produced by the Heavy Equipment and Industrial Materials Group.

http://www.dawodu.com/omoigui34.htm

Lets keep it real.
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by GAR3TH(m): 10:31pm On Jun 29, 2012
Beaf:

Definitely not true. Biafra manufactured several amoured vehicles:

http://www.dawodu.com/omoigui34.htm

Lets keep it real.

Then in that case I retract my statement but i still stand on what i said about the vehicles in the pictures being British.
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by Chongaiman: 10:35pm On Jun 29, 2012
exxell: Abegi. The prototype of this vehicle was used im the 1st world war. Google it. America has updated this vehicle close to 100 times. The latest one is unmanned (not driven physically). It is controlled from the base. Hahahahahaha. Naija Self.

To the best of my knowledge, APCs were not in use during WW1.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jun 29, 2012
ocelot2006:

Please stop right there. Those APCs in your pic from the War Museum are actually BRITISH made APC used by the NIGERIAN ARMY during the civil. The APCs made by the Biafrans were crude contraptions. That said, the Federal side made a big mistake destroying all technical drawings and plans on those vehicles. We couldve improved on them.

they were made during a war you animal undecided

@topic
how better will this peace time apc be
i guess we will never know until we test them in a war
good job though to nigeria
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jun 29, 2012
^
actually we need to test them against boko haram
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by CGKing(m): 11:39pm On Jun 29, 2012
Black
[ green Maria
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by Beaf: 12:06am On Jun 30, 2012
GAR3TH:

Then in that case I retract my statement but i still stand on what i said about the vehicles in the pictures being British.

I think you are right about those pics being British armour.

I've have found some pictures of Biafran armour though, an armoured personnel carrier (APC) and the wreck of a tank.

Biafran personel carrier (reverse engineered from Ford T16):

[img]http://3.bp..com/_hb-wH451ZRA/SqpyOpFskkI/AAAAAAAAADQ/WEfckcMy3QQ/s400/Biafran+made+tank.jpg[/img]

Biafran tank wreckage:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/569858_arv2_JPG08157f2599bb2d84a4e4338d2c9c8ff2
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by Beaf: 12:20am On Jun 30, 2012
This is a link to a bunch of white guys from the Armored Fighting Vehicles Association (AFV ASSOCIATION) having a quite limited discussion about Biafran weaponry.
If we had not been led by fools for so long, we would have used these things as a stepping stone to higher heights.

http://com-central.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=14279
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by nduchucks: 1:24am On Jun 30, 2012
This thread warrants the education of some of its posters. The following historical facts should help many people put things in proper perspective.

The stateowned Defence Industries Corporation (DIC), established in 1964, geared up to produce ammunition during the civil war. By the 1970s, its facilities in Kaduna produced West German-designed HK G-3 rifles, BM-59 and PM-12 handguns, and 7.62mm and 9mm parabellum ammunition. Lack of financial and management support, however, impeded further progress until the DIC was reenergized in 1984 by then army chief of staff Babangida. After becoming president, Babangida expanded the DIC to increase Nigeria's selfreliance .

In 1977 the army decided to standardize its infantry weapons with Belgian FAL assault rifles, Browning GP pistols, and MAG machine guns. In 1978 licensed production rights were acquired, and in 1980 the DIC's facilities in Kaduna were adapted and upgraded by Belgian technicians to assemble these weapons. Production began in 1983; full production capacity was achieved in 1987; and the next year the DIC was reported to be relying entirely on local raw materials and to be producing all the basic rifles and ammunition the army and police used. Its annual production capacity was 15,000 FAL rifles, 9,000 to 10,000 GP pistols, and 1,000 MAG machine guns. The FAL rifle entered service in 1989 as the NR-1.

In addition to the small arms and ammunition factories at Kaduna, newer facilities for the assembly of armored fighting vehicles and light tanks were under development at Bauchi in 1990. shocked Austrian Steyr 680M 4x4 tactical military trucks were reportedly assembled there, and it was also planned to produce Pinzgauer light tracked armored vehicles and Steyr 4K 7FA tracked armored personnel carriers. By 1987 the DIC employed 2,000 to 3,000 people at its Kaduna and Bauchi plants. shocked Indications of a nascent commercial defense industry included a manufacturer in Anambra State whose inexpensive jeeps included military models being tested by the army; a local service industry to supply uniforms, accoutrements, and selected ordnance matériel; and increased domestic souring for aircraft and naval ship components and maintenance services. Local assembly of West German MBB Bo105 helicopters for the air force was also contemplated. Further progress hinged on the availability of foreign capital and technology, joint ventures, and export opportunities, especially for rifles and ammunition.

On its silver anniversary April 22, 1989, the air force unveiled and conducted a test flight of a prototype of Nigeria's first domestically built aircraft, the Air Beetle. shocked Jointly built over two years by the NAF and a West German Kaduna-based firm from the design of the United States Van RV-6 sport aircraft, the Air Beetle had the unique feature of being able to fly on standard automobile fuel. This two-seat, single engine airplane was intended to be the primary trainer for the NAF, replacing the aging British Bulldog trainers. The production program called for sixty units by 1992 and eventual development of an improved version, the Super Air Beetle. In early 1990, the first export orders were reported, and forty aircraft of the first production run were scheduled for delivery to foreign customers.

Lets not go overboard with this news. The first locally made Armoured car was built back in 1990.

NOTE: DIC is still in operation and weapons are still manufactured there. In February this year, two suspected Boko Haram members were arrested by the Nigeria Army at the Defence Industrial Companies of Nigeria (DIC), Kakuri, Kaduna.
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by dddx: 8:18am On Jun 30, 2012
A car is not only amoured be because of the metal plate and the smg's but also the type of technology it uses for precision and other related stoff. what of techtronics, and other stoff. UNTIL WE START APPLIED AND APPLICABLE ACADEMIA AND EDUCATION... WE WILL NEVER PRODUCE ANYTHING IN THE COUNTRY..
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by ocelot2006(m): 9:04am On Jun 30, 2012
re@lchange:

they were made during a war you animal undecided

@topic
how better will this peace time apc be
i guess we will never know until we test them in a war
good job though to nigeria

Dude, do NOT insult me. Whether you like it or not, the APCs designed by the Biafrans were crude compared to the Alvis Saracen and Saladin used by the Nigerian. They looked like steel armour welded round a tractor chassis.

That said, I'm sure a more refined design would've been gotten if only the NA had not destroyed the technical plans for these vehicles.
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by naptu2: 11:34am On Jun 30, 2012
I remember when the Air Beetle was launched at a parade in 1989. I was so proud! Although some criticised it because it was a propeller plane, I didn't care. It could be used for training and reconnaissance. Then came the internet and I saw this http://http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van's_Aircraft_RV-6 I was a bit disappointed.

I've been hard on DICON because of the criticism of some of my friends who were in the armed forces (in the 1980s). One of them in particular always complained that DICON and ***** (I've forgotten the name, but it's the Brazilian equivalent of DICON) were established at the same time. According to him, while the Brazilian company manufactures ships, DICON only assembles rifles (another guy, a civilian, said they make Union Dicon Salt). That's why I'm pleased to see this http://www.dicon.gov.ng/aboutus.html

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by DECOtech(m): 3:20pm On Jun 30, 2012
Spirit of Okija: I thought Tata had been making APCs locally for us for a while now?!

Or is Innoson now manufacturing Armoured Military vehicles now?!
Is TATA locally owned?
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by jpphilips(m): 10:26am On Jul 02, 2012
Henry120: @shymexx you are wrong. Like black baron said, that particular APC is not done yet. The army and the ekiti brothers are still working on it. The nigerian army apc is a non-prototype apc, which can be deployed at this very moment. Like beaf said....oya, let us invade cameroun, sharpaly!!!

with a population of over 167million, you find it adventurous to invade a microscopic Cameroon? where is your shame? by the way, how better are you faring with the boko haram that invaded you?
your Jingoism is nauseating
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by Bymbolar(m): 3:52pm On Jul 02, 2012
What a fantastic wake-up of a giant. Armoured Personnel Carriers, APCs being produced in Ogun State Naigeria.

Let our Government now help Nigeria. Let them engage the Nigeria Army, DICON and Proforce in the production of Armoured Vehicles for our soldiers and Police Personnel. All the soft-Skinned Toyota Hilux should be used for only neighborhood patrol. Let us protect all our Police men and make them work with commitmment.
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by Bymbolar(m): 3:52pm On Jul 02, 2012
What a fantastic wake-up of a giant. Armoured Personnel Carriers, APCs being produced in Ogun State Nigeria.

Let our Government now help Nigeria. Let them engage the Nigeria Army, DICON and Proforce in the production of Armoured Vehicles for our soldiers and Police Personnel. All the soft-Skinned Toyota Hilux should be used for only neighborhood patrol. Let us protect all our Police men and make them work with commitmment.
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by naptu2: 4:04pm On Jul 02, 2012
naptu2: I remember when the Air Beetle was launched at a parade in 1989. I was so proud! Although some criticised it because it was a propeller plane, I didn't care. It could be used for training and reconnaissance.Then came the internet and I saw this http://http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van's_Aircraft_RV-6 I was a bit disappointed.

I've been hard on DICON because of the criticism of some of my friends who were in the armed forces (in the 1980s). One of them in particular always complained that DICON and ***** (I've forgotten the name, but it's the Brazilian equivalent of DICON) were established at the same time. According to him, while the Brazilian company manufactures ships, DICON only assembles rifles (another guy, a civilian, said they make Union Dicon Salt). That's why I'm pleased to see this http://www.dicon.gov.ng/aboutus.html

Oops! Broken link. Search for Van's Aircraft on Wikipedia.
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by Bymbolar(m): 4:09pm On Jul 02, 2012
ocelot2006:

And how do you know this?

From what I've gathered from a source, the APC to be commisioned is a copy of that made by Proforce, not a production version of the Obasa brothers' prototype.

You are right. What is to be launched by the Nigeria Army is "Non Prototype" APCs. The Obasa Brothers, I doubt if they have the necessary wherewithal for the APCs production. But I can confirm for sure that the other Proforce Company mentioned in Ogun State has produced the APCs for the Defence and Security Authorities in Nigeria already. They must have been in operations for sometime.

Wake up call to Nigerian Government. Let us appreciate the efforts of Nigerians who are making the difference.
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by Arosa(m): 5:06pm On Jul 02, 2012
Spirit of Okija:

Technically, this design is a deathtrap.. Flat body makes for greater impact from bullets

True! that is why the angular design is better.
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by ACM10: 5:16pm On Jul 02, 2012
Chongaiman:

To the best of my knowledge, APCs were not in use during WW1.

APC was used in the dying days of WW1. British invented it from tractor prototype which they used to overrun German positions in the trenches. This forced the Germans to sue for peace. But Germans did perfect the use of APC in the battlefield in the WW2
Re: Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars by BlackBaron: 2:30pm On Jul 03, 2012
The APC shown yesterday was entirely different from this. Though it was assumed elsewhere this was the one to be displayed.

The one on show was built entirely by the NA corps engineer?

Least Proforce got free publicity anyway.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See A Smart Helmet With Wireless Device That Give Signals For Better Safety / Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars / Innoson Sues Gtbank For N400billion Over Character Assasination And Defamation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.