Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,436 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:49 PM

Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? (9038 Views)

Boiled Corn Or Roasted Corn? / Your Favorite Road Side Meal : Boli, Boiled/Roasted Corn Or Roasted Yam? / Roasted Corn (2) (3) (4)

Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by maclatunji: 4:59pm On Jun 29, 2012
Corn or Maize is in season and as I walk the streets of Lagos, I see people eagerly queuing-up to buy roasted corn from roadside sellers. Whenever I see this, I cannot help but wonder: "what is wrong with these people?". Here are my reasons-

1. The corn is actually very hard, it feels like chewing gravel.

2. It is not tasty at all- close to being bitter.

3. It takes quite some energy to chew the corn and you are likely to have your teeth aching you after chewing on a cob of roasted corn.

4. It is not exactly economical, we have sausage rolls and potato chips going for N50 with just about the same "filling-power" as a N50 corn cob.

Going by these disadvantages, why do people still go for this as a snack/meal and with considerable eagerness too.

Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by tpia5: 5:18pm On Jun 29, 2012
its very tasty, if you get the fresh one.

corn is naturally sweet.

the type you described, wasnt harvested until later- the sweetness reduces the longer you keep it.

please say you've had fresh corn before?

Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by Tgirl4real(f): 5:35pm On Jun 29, 2012
maclatunji: Corn or Maize is in season and as I walk the streets of Lagos, I see people eagerly queuing-up to buy roasted corn from roadside sellers. Whenever I see this, I cannot help but wonder: "what is wrong with these people?". Here are my reasons-

1. The corn is actually very hard, it feels like chewing gravel.

2. It is not tasty at all- close to being bitter.

3. It takes quite some energy to chew the corn and you are likely to have your teeth aching you after chewing on a cob of roasted corn.

4. It is not exactly economical, we have sausage rolls and potato chips going for N50 with just about the same "filling-power" as a N50 corn cob.

Going by these disadvantages, why do people still go for this as a snack/meal and with considerable eagerness too.

Do u eat swallow, esp. Fufu, amala and pounded yam? If yes, why, grin

Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by queensmith: 5:39pm On Jun 29, 2012
you arent having the good ones, but for the bad ones- its an acquired taste
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by maclatunji: 7:51pm On Jun 29, 2012
Tgirl4real:

Do u eat swallow, esp. Fufu, amala and pounded yam? If yes, why, grin

I eat them now, I love akpu with afang soup. Why? It is enjoyable food now.

Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by maclatunji: 7:53pm On Jun 29, 2012
tpia@:

corn is naturally sweet.

the type you described, wasnt harvested until later- the sweetness reduces the longer you keep it.

Yes, I have had fresh corn before.
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by tevinsolt: 8:05pm On Jun 29, 2012
cuz it's foodgasm grin
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by kandiikane(m): 8:06pm On Jun 29, 2012
tevinsolt: cuz it's foodgasm grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin

I just love it!
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by fredoooooo: 8:07pm On Jun 29, 2012
strong roasted corn is use to train the jaw by boxers grin grin grin grin

Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by tevinsolt: 8:09pm On Jun 29, 2012
kandiikane:

I just love it!
make we just they advertise close up lol
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by sunnshyn(f): 8:17pm On Jun 29, 2012
tpia@:

corn is naturally sweet.

I enjoy eating corn, lawd! I swear I had lots of toasters way bak in uni cos we alwys met by d roadside buying corn. Here's my problem: freshly harvested corn makes me sick. I alwys ask d seller if its fresh, so I prepare 4 d puckings n feverishness, cos I must chop corn! Lol, but seriously, I wonder why.
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by dangerzone: 8:18pm On Jun 29, 2012
@ op,go n taste the real ibeni igbado,I mean confirm fresh corn then come back n comment,ask guys for where u can get fresh ones

Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by uchlukez(f): 8:19pm On Jun 29, 2012
[color=#990000][/color]

Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by tpia5: 8:21pm On Jun 29, 2012
sunnshyn:
I enjoy eating corn, lawd! I swear I had lots of toasters way bak in uni cos we alwys met by d roadside buying corn. Here's my problem: freshly harvested corn makes me sick. I alwys ask d seller if its fresh, so I prepare 4 d puckings n feverishness, cos I must chop corn! Lol, but seriously, I wonder why.

freshly harvested corn makes you sick?

i practically used to live on that thing back in the day.

maybe you have allergies or something?

i'm allergic to corn syrup [too fattening] nowadays, but fresh corn is cool.

also, the roadside oranges- those sellers could peel that thing in a very artistic manner. Then cut a little hole in the top to squeeze out the juice so it flows freely.

yum.
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jun 29, 2012
Corn reminds them of something....
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by sunnshyn(f): 8:22pm On Jun 29, 2012
tpia@:

corn is naturally sweet.

I enjoy eating corn, lawd! I had lots of toasters way bak in uni cos we alwys met by d roadside buying corn. Here's my problem: freshly harvested corn makes me sick. I made sure to alwys ask d seller if its very fresh, so I prepare 4 d puckings n feverishness, cos I must chop corn! Lol, but seriously, I wonder why.?
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by member10: 8:27pm On Jun 29, 2012
uchlukez: [color=#990000][/color]
Am drooling just by looking at this pic!
Its very nice when you get soft one, I particulaly love the soft ones. Gosh, now I got to go get me some tomorrow. ISA

Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by Beautymc(f): 8:28pm On Jun 29, 2012
Because it makes u to open all ur teeth when eating it.
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by freecocoa(f): 8:29pm On Jun 29, 2012
Abeg make una take down that picture,e dey make me wan chop corn.

Bia Tunji,I'm sure you've not eaten fresh corn before,how can corn be bitter?seems you take the dry ones with agbo to wash it down.cheesy
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by EdnadaDva: 8:30pm On Jun 29, 2012
Roasted corn gives me cough.I think I prefer the boiled one.all the same Ilove corn.
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by sunnshyn(f): 8:39pm On Jun 29, 2012
tpia@:

freshly harvested corn makes you sick?

i practically used to live on that thing back in the day.

maybe you have allergies or something?

i'm allergic to corn syrup [too fattening] nowadays, but fresh corn is cool.

also, the roadside oranges- those sellers could peel that thing in a very artistic manner. Then cut a little hole in the top to squeeze out the juice so it flows freely.

yum.

Must be some sort of allergy! Now u taking me bak to d roadside...those very artistic women? And u see dem multitasking o...peeling d oranges real fast, calling other passerbys, collecting money, giving change...mmm...u also did boli n epa?? Yum yum?? Kai! Who says Nigeria isn't it??
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by sunnshyn(f): 8:45pm On Jun 29, 2012
كلورين:
Am drooling just by looking at this pic!
Its very nice when you get soft one, I particulaly love the soft ones. Gosh, now I got to go get me some tomorrow. ISA
Did u by chance get help with ur "neodymium magnets"?? #just curious#
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by maclatunji: 8:45pm On Jun 29, 2012
EdnadaDva: Roasted corn gives me cough.I think I prefer the boiled one.all the same Ilove corn.

Both boiled and roasted corn give me cough, same thing with carrots, coconuts and garden eggs. If not for the cough wahala, I really like the three.
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by Frankiedu(m): 8:46pm On Jun 29, 2012
cool ;Dyh,na who lyk corn pass me na.I dey chop am like nofin dey to eat.Mostly wif coconut man...Que up joor.. ;Dyh,na who lyk corn pass me na.I dey chop am like nofin dey to eat.Mostly wif coconut man...Que up joor..
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jun 29, 2012
I LOVE IT ESPECIALLY FOR THIS SEASON! wink wink wink
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jun 29, 2012
Itz an appetizer to me.
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by abhosts(m): 8:51pm On Jun 29, 2012
Too strong for my liking. angry
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by tpia5: 8:57pm On Jun 29, 2012
sunnshyn:

Must be some sort of allergy! Now u taking me bak to d roadside...those very artistic women? And u see dem multitasking o...peeling d oranges real fast, calling other passerbys, collecting money, giving change...mmm...u also did boli n epa?? Yum yum?? Kai! Who says Nigeria isn't it??

could be allergies i guess.

people do develop those over time, unfortunately.

i dont eat corn so much anymore but i did when i was younger. Fresh off the farm. cheesy

the oranges are a class of their own. I still remember the first time I heard oranges could be force-ripened, and I was so shocked. It was almost like a sacrilege.

boli and epa- dont even mention it. Good but i think it was more expensive than the corn and oranges.

so, a step above those two but very tasty. And filling.
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by Funkymallam(m): 8:57pm On Jun 29, 2012
fredoooooo: strong roasted corn is use to train the jaw by boxers grin grin grin grin

I luv dat tin o, my frnds call it my food. cheesy
Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by fredoooooo: 9:08pm On Jun 29, 2012
Funkymallam:

I luv dat tin o, my frnds call it my food. cheesy

Re: Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jun 29, 2012
Corn is very tasty i can have like 3 in a day and try it with coconut

Three Crowns Commences Family Dance Off In Its ‘Jara’ Campaign / Best Food For Life: Which Food Do You Eat Everyday? / 7 Dollar Meal In Naija