Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,004 members, 7,821,521 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:17 PM

Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland (3559 Views)

Atheists And Their Stupidity / Atheism FAQ - For Atheists And Theists / What Could Be The Cause? Both Atheists And Theists Please Contribute. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by DeepSight(m): 11:34am On Jul 01, 2012
Alrite, let's unwind with some fun. Reading some posts of my atheist friends on NL, I realized that notwithstanding our disagreements I am quite fond of some of them. To bridge the divide between atheists and theists on this board, lets play a little team building game: here goes: theists, mention your favourite atheists on NL and say nice things about them, and vice versa!

As a theist: I would mention my favourite atheists on this board:

1. KAG (on sabbatical), but for her very high intelligence and sarcasm

2. ToneyB ( - also on Sabbatical - Ever the briliant Professor)

3. Mazaje : For his exceptional honesty, decency, objectivity, and most importantly for his careful distinction between the existence of GOD and the existence of man made Gods

4. Plaetton: The most profound thinker I have ever met who called himself an atheist. I have told him that he is pantheist, though.

5. The Homer: Succinct and clear in all his arguments. Never unduly wordy. Masks behind soft rejoinders an aggressive and all-pervading intellect!

6. Idehn: Awfully bright guy and desperately pays attention to words and definitions: a tad frustrating, though.

7. Jayriginal: Fair minded and careful in distinctions. Very careful. I have a sneaky view though that he is more agnostic than atheist: though he himself asserts that there is no distinction.

8. And last but not the least, the ebullient, aggressive, terrible boy scout, and my greatest spar partner in recent times: MARTIAN! - For his sheer doggedness and refusal to respect what he considers Bulls*hit, no matter how elegantly written, and I do try!

PS: I would certainly have put purist at the top of my list, but I am not certain of what he is: he hates labels. Profound, and clear, is what I would call him.

I am going to church now, dont ask me why again, I am looking for something (won't tell you what) - so when am done, I will post some of my favorite posts made by these atheists which I consider brilliant or profound.

I will also, in quoting their great posts, seek to show them that inspite of our different views, I truly appreciate some of the great things that they say.

1 Like

Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by DeepSight(m): 11:57am On Jul 01, 2012
KAG:

There is a truism that has almost become cliche that applies here: "It is not everyone that is wandering that is lost". There's a sport I enjoy that involves simply running round an athletics track. You're not really going anywhere, just round and round, but for many experiencing the run is joy enough to justify what your position denies.

If you have the time someday, take a trip to a fair. Stop, if you will, at one of those wonderful carousel rides. See if you can find the destination of the wonderfully happy riders.

From KAG. Brilliant.
Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by DeepSight(m): 11:58am On Jul 01, 2012
I don't know if it's down to atheism, but I'm a far more content person, more charitable. I've faced several fears and phobias I had, become, what I would like to think, a more rounded person.

It's not all beds and roses though, as I still battle with things like depression, but despite problems, there's an inner core of happiness within me, happiness that can never be touched nor harmed, happiness that I can only describe as "beautiful joy". there's also a feeling of being, and appreciation for a shortish life

KAG again. Poetic. Excellent.
Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by DeepSight(m): 12:10pm On Jul 01, 2012
"It is not everyone that is wandering that is lost".

Again, the foregoing, from KAG.

I wonder if he realized how profound these words are.

I also urge religious theists to reflect on these words in their condemnation of atheists.

In fact, i urge myself too, in that regard.
Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by PastorAIO: 1:52pm On Jul 01, 2012
Deep Sight:

Again, the foregoing, from KAG.

I wonder if he realized how profound these words are.

I also urge religious theists to reflect on these words in their condemnation of atheists.

In fact, i urge myself too, in that regard.

Those words, Not all those who wander are lost, come the book, the Lord of the Rings.

I think it is used in reference to Aragorn/Strider who was a wanderer at first but turned out to be the prince of some land somewhere.

1 Like

Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by cyrexx: 7:16am On Jul 02, 2012
as an atheist who is relatively new on nairaland my favourite theists/religionists so far are

1.Mr Anony: He knows very well what his faith/religion is and would be willing to engage in logical meaningful debate and conversations without the usual calling-atheist-fools and hellfire/brimstone damnation languages common with christians. to me, he is the most level headed theist on nairaland.

2. Deepsight: i cannot but appreciate this great mind, he knows very well what he believes unlike most christians who rattles only what have been told by their churches. though im not sure he is a still christian, but no doubt he is truly a deep thinking and "deep seeing" theist.

3.Alexleo: although he can be annoying/obnoxious sometimes, but i perfectly understand him cos, he does not want anybody to "perish" but make heaven at last. even as i disagree with his faith and philosophy, i appreciate his genuine interest in "saving" souls from "eternal fire"

im still thinking, i will bring more names as i remember them

1 Like

Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by buzugee(m): 7:30am On Jul 02, 2012
can two walk together unless they be agreed ? ( amos 3 vs 3 ). whoever is in love with the world is against me. as such it will be a righteous thing for the lord for me to take all the atheists on nairaland and pour kerosene on them and set them alight. thats how much the atheists are my favorite. i will douse them in kerosene and make atheist-suya grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by cyrexx: 8:26am On Jul 02, 2012
^^^^
LOL
so you are now a canniballistic athiest hater
nairaland atheists should run away from you for their own health's sakes
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by Nobody: 9:34am On Jul 02, 2012
cyrexx: ^^^^
LOL
grin grin grin grin grin
Even Xtians run away from him....
Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by buzugee(m): 11:31am On Jul 02, 2012
cyrexx: ^^^^
LOL
grin grin grin grin grin
musKeeto:
Even Xtians run away from him....
I WAS JOKING GUYS grin grin of course i wouldnt do such a dastardly act
Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by mazaje(m): 11:49am On Jul 02, 2012
Favourite theist.

Davidylan : Aggressive, blunt and honest in his submissions.

Nuclearboy: Logical christian, very inteligent apologist. The best christian apologist here in my opinion. If I were a christian I will like to be like him.

Deepsight: Very inteligent as well. I don't really get what he is on about sometimes but still find my self reading his post most of the time.

Viaro: Logical and inteligent christian apologist.

Tbaba123: The only muslim that knows what he is doing on NL religion section. I like reading his post. If I were a muslims I will like to be like him.

Jesoul: You just have to love her no matter what.

Noetic: Another inteligent and logical apologist.

I like Mactunji the moderator of the islamic section. I also like Enigma because of his antics.

1 Like

Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by Ishilove: 12:05pm On Jul 02, 2012
buzugee: can two walk together unless they be agreed ? ( amos 3 vs 3 ). whoever is in love with the world is against me. as such it will be a righteous thing for the lord for me to take all the atheists on nairaland and pour kerosene on them and set them alight. thats how much the atheists are my favorite. i will douse them in kerosene and make atheist-suya grin grin grin
Lwkmd!!! How morbid...
Rotfl! cheesy
Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by buzugee(m): 12:16pm On Jul 02, 2012
Ishilove:
Lwkmd!!! How morbid...
Rotfl! cheesy
yeah and that was only my good side. wait till you see my bad side grin grin grin JK
Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by DeepSight(m): 12:16pm On Jul 02, 2012
Pastor AIO:

Those words, Not all those who wander are lost, come the book, the Lord of the Rings.

I think it is used in reference to Aragorn/Strider who was a wanderer at first but turned out to be the prince of some land somewhere.

O, thanks very much for that piece of info: and at the risk of sounding like a broken record now, I will yet again encourage every theist: especially militant religious ones, to consider this fact in their "judgement" of atheists. As Jesus said, there will be those who say lord lord, and yet he knows them not, and there will be those who do not say such, and yet they will be acceptable unto the lord. . .

Indeed, not every one wandering is lost. . .

1 Like

Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by DeepSight(m): 12:27pm On Jul 02, 2012
Plaetton has some of the most remarkable takes on Cosmic Energy . . . which, for him, is what "God" should be seen as -

plaetton:

Energy ,in my view, energy transcends the physical. I think our three dimensional physical reality can be likened to just one channel or station in an infinite radio.
What we term 'spiritual' are just higher frequencies, octaves or dimensions of the same energy.

Again -

plaetton:

Ok. First, there is no such thing as nothing. Energy is the all-pervading essence, and is either active or in potential. Active energy interacts with itself giving rise simple particles that later morph into complex particles and so on. energy and matter are interconvertible. E=MC2
The hand of a conscious being is not required for this to happen. Consciousness itself may likely be a by-product of energy interactions and not the primordal cause.
Therefore, there is only one entity, substance or force(whatever you want to call it), and that is pure energy. Everything else emanates from the ceaseless interactions of energy, including sentience and consciouness and awareness.

And yet again -

Plaetton:

First, what do you mean by physical matter and energy. My definition of energy is not restricted to physical matter. Physical matter can be described as just one of the many states(or frequencies) of energy.
For me, pure electromagnetic energy has the attributes of self existence: It is intangile,immutable and all-pervasive. We can also cal it god or whatever else we like. The difference between us in this case is that you think that god is conscious,sentient and purposeful, whereas, I propose that all those are by-products of energy intereactions.

All brilliant and deeply thought-provoking. Can't say i'm fully on the same page, but to a large extent, i am.
Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by Ishilove: 5:28pm On Jul 02, 2012
buzugee: yeah and that was only my good side. wait till you see my bad side grin grin grin JK
My guy you need deliverance grin cheesy
Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by vescucci(m): 7:55pm On Jul 02, 2012
Hmmmn, a kumbaya thread. I can live with this.

I'm just gonna name my favourite posters. Not my favourite arguers but those whose posts actually mean something.

KAG. I only talked with her/him/it for a moment before he/she/it disappeared, but there's a grand scientific/philosophical mind behind the moniker

Yup, you gotta love JeSoul just because she is Jesoul.

I like MyJoe. Never condemning of any opinion even if it is 180degrees from his.

PastorAIO. I think possibly my favourite because his posts have no leanings towards any particular religion. Which is how I like things.

Mad_Max. Sigh.

Plaetton. Late comer but boy, did he make an impression back then.

DeepSight. If this man is not on nairaland, tumbleweeds and cobwebs would be more plentiful than posters here. He keeps the place ticking. 90% of the good threads are his.

Some excellent posters I didn't choose because they usually use 500 words to make a point you can make with 47 words.
Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by tobechi74: 6:49pm On Jul 03, 2012
I AM SUPRISD, NO BODY MENTIOND LOGIC BOY---
Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by DeepSight(m): 6:57pm On Jul 03, 2012
tobechi74: I AM SUPRISD, NO BODY MENTIOND LOGIC BOY---

WHAT? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by jayriginal: 9:16pm On Jul 03, 2012
Theists

1) Pastor AIO -- Possibly the most open minded theist on this section.
2) JeSoul -- The Lady of the section.
3) Uyi Iredia -- not your "I believe in God because the bible said so" type. Has some unique perspectives on his theological position.
4) Debosky -- not a regular here these days but surely one of the more objective theists ([size=4pt]apparently a ladies man[/size])
5) Joagbaje -- not out of the soundness of his arguments but for the fact that he has been attacked so many times but I havent seen a reprisal on his part.

Non-Theists
1) KAG -- What can I say ? A sound mind. Her posts were always great to read.
2) Martian -- often retorts with poisonous wit. Can be quite brutal. I've chortled at many a Martian post.
3) thehomer -- I fancy him a fan of "The Simpson's" like me. Usually clear in his posts and "armed" so to speak, for a good debate.
4) MyJoe -- Clear and concise without any abrasive tendencies. Can propose or rebut without alienating anyone.
5) Mazaje -- goes hard. Point blank. Lately Ive come to notice a softer side of him though. Doesnt seem too active anymore (or maybe its me).
6) Evil Brain -- for being a fellow Pastaferian.
7) Purist -- reminds me of MyJoe. Usually clear and straight to the point.
8 ) Plaetton -- remarkable ideas on certain subjects which others might dismiss outright. This makes it the more interesting to hear for instance, an atheist discuss a concept like the "soul".
9) Deep Sight -- flamboyant with words and possibly the most colorful person on the religious section.

1 Like

Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by Ishilove: 1:58pm On Jul 04, 2012
I wonder why nobody mentioned monsieur frosbel. . . grin
Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by cyrexx: 2:00pm On Jul 04, 2012
Ishilove: I wonder why nobody mentioned monsieur frosbel. . . grin
? ? ? ?
Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by Ishilove: 2:13pm On Jul 04, 2012
cyrexx:
? ? ? ?
Wetin? The guy deserves a mention na cheesy
Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jul 04, 2012
Ishilove:
Wetin? The guy deserves a mention na cheesy
Probably on a 'Most Unappealing theists' thread.. He's stuck in the middle.. Xtians do not agree with most of his teachings, atheists attack him for his theist views.. crazy world he lives in... grin
Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by Ishilove: 2:32pm On Jul 04, 2012
musKeeto:
Probably on a 'Most Unappealing theists' thread.. He's stuck in the middle.. Xtians do not agree with most of his teachings, atheists attack him for his theist views.. crazy world he lives in... grin
grin
Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by cyrexx: 2:36pm On Jul 04, 2012
musKeeto:

he is still wandering in desert land in between the two totally distinct cities of LOGICAL REASONING and RELIGION.
plus he attacks both theists and atheists
Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:45pm On Jul 04, 2012
favorites (theists and religious folks)

@Frosbel - Obsessively anti-hypocritical, unapologetic plain-clothes Faith critic (of Islam thank heavens)
@Kunle_Osob - An open-minded, intelligent and theologically-rounded Christian whose understanding of Socio-religious realities are not distorted by Religious Dogma
@Uyi Iredia - Deeply introspective (I think he is positively schizo actually grin) Stinging snobbishness to any post irrelevant to his present line of argument - especially if it means moving sideways rather than forward
@PastorAIO - I think his other ID is @Kunle_Osob perhaps
@Deep_Sight - Painfully intelligent, stubbornly (in a subtle way) argumentative - you leave the thread a lot more informed and a few dead brain-cells due to the thought-rigor he puts you through
@JEsoul - What is there not to like about a MOD
@Enigma - Positively Christian (IMHO)

1 Like

Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by Purist(m): 4:18pm On Jul 04, 2012
Oh wow. Just saw this now, I'll be back to give my list.

Deep Sight:
PS: I would certainly have put purist at the top of my list, but I am not certain of what he is: he hates labels. Profound, and clear, is what I would call him.

hehe. cheesy I'm gradually coming to terms with the "atheist" label, although I still think it's not so necessary.

BRB.
Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by Ptolomeus(m): 4:42pm On Jul 04, 2012
My favorite theist is Olaadegbu .
Olaa discussed until it has no discussion, he does not bother to read what you replied, repeating the same thing over and over again, when he is in a difficult discussion, he presents those pictures over and delusional ... again ... on a string and another ... Copy and paste, paste and copy ...
Sometimes he gets angry, and that's very funny ...
or this reason I like to discuss with my dear friend ... who also Olaa think it is a strong supporter of Obama.

1 Like

Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by DeepSight(m): 4:51pm On Jul 04, 2012
Ptolomeus: My favorite theist is Olaadegbu .
Olaa discussed until it has no discussion, he does not bother to read what you replied, repeating the same thing over and over again, when he is in a difficult discussion, he presents those pictures over and delusional ... again ... on a string and another ... Copy and paste, paste and copy ...
Sometimes he gets angry, and that's very funny ...
or this reason I like to discuss with my dear friend ... who also Olaa think it is a strong supporter of Obama.

Olaadegbu is really very funny indeed. The day he stops posting cartoons, i go pop champagne
Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by Ptolomeus(m): 5:00pm On Jul 04, 2012
Deep Sight:

Olaadegbu is really very funny indeed. The day he stops posting cartoons, i go pop champagne

Jajaja, very true my friend!
Re: Favorite Atheists And Theists On Nairaland by plaetton: 6:18pm On Jul 04, 2012
Hmmm. my favourite thiests on NL.

1. Frosbel: You have to admire her tenacity. She has built her tiny closet into her own little universe with its own laws and its own unique logic. i actually miss her whenever she is absent for a while.

2. Tbaba: always adress issues from a scholarly islamic viewpoint.

3. Toba. Jolly good fellow.has an obsession with athiests because he thinks its another competing religion.

4. Pastor AIO: the voice of wisdom. Brings an enlightened and balanced perspective to discussions.

5.Deepsight: Another voice of reason. Always presents the other side of an argument that I forgot to consider.I am greatly enriched.

6.Jesoul: The trinity of of Wisdom,reason and grace. just like my mother, Jesoul is the embodiment of a good christian.

7. Enigma- the sniper.Despite his tantrums and his obsession with his "evangelical athiests", I think there is decent guy inside. I think he is a law student whose big dream is to stand before the supreme court and prove that through judicial fiat,athieism should indeed be a religion. If i were his law proffessors, i would give him a C for effort.
grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The " My Muslim Friends Are Very Nice" Excuse / Pastor In WWE Smackdown, Slams Woman During Deliverance In Church(Video/Pics) / The Bible Gives The Location Of Hell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.