Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,673 members, 7,823,901 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

Computer Science Or Engineering! Help - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Computer Science Or Engineering! Help (5000 Views)

Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science / Aviation Or Engineering / Mathematics Or Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Computer Science Or Engineering! Help by a4extra: 6:22pm On Dec 01, 2007
mmmm, actually i really wanna know where to go, it all started as i grew up, i got addicted to computers and the internet, and i'm really biggin up now and its time for me to choose a field, my dad ( as usual in NAIJA) wants me to go for electrical Electronics, which is not even in ma list, i actually don't even wanna smell that area for any reason, i actually fought before he could allow me choose COMPUTER ENGINEERING, i am doin comp. engr. presently but its not still whats on ma heart, I ACTUALLY have a passion for computer Science and networking, but i wanna major on comp. sci. but just have networking as branches, lol, sounds funny, but SOME pple actually tell me comp ENGR is better than comp. SCI. i dont just knw, but i still dont wanna have any thing to do with HARDWARE, they also discourage me with the fact that what a comp scientist will do that a comp engr will do it, i dont knw how true it is, but i knw my plan goes thus, while studying comp sci, i will also be up in some networking certification like CISCO, and the software certifications too like JAVA, and ORACLE, but i dont knw WHERE TO STAY, COMP SCI or COMP ENGR, i have not told ma parents yet and i dont knw what they'll say, I DONT KNW WHAT TO DO I NEED ADVICE, i really do, one more thing, MA DAD if its not engineering, hmmmmm, i dont knw, i MAY JUST CHANGE MA COURSE BEFORE TELLIN,
Re: Computer Science Or Engineering! Help by anusule(m): 5:10pm On Dec 02, 2007
since u'r majoring in comp engr, when u finish, u could still further your education,get a second degree, or, masters and the rest, you digg?
Re: Computer Science Or Engineering! Help by Kashif(m): 10:08am On Dec 03, 2007
a4extra,

Computer engineering has to do with a lot of hardware! If you dont want to have anything to do with hardware, then you better stay clear. But understand that life has to do with lots of inconveniences so, try and psyche yourself up for electronics because you will do programming too; computer is a combination of hard and softwares.

A computer engineer has an advantage over a computer scientist because of the hardware edge. What a scientist can do; an engineer can but what an engineer can do; a scientist cant.

One more thing - dont do it for your father! do the thing you love and realise you dont need to work. Let him understand your passion.

Goodluck.
Re: Computer Science Or Engineering! Help by Seun(m): 1:03pm On Dec 03, 2007
The school you choose is probably more important than the course.
If Computer Science is a shorter course, take it. Nobody does actual
Computer Engineering in Nigeria. It's just installation and troubleshooting.
Same applies to Computer Science. It's just installation and configuration. cheesy
Re: Computer Science Or Engineering! Help by Kashif(m): 8:48am On Dec 04, 2007
Seun:

The school you choose is probably more important than the course.
If Computer Science is a shorter course, take it. Nobody does actual
Computer Engineering in Nigeria. It's just installation and troubleshooting.
Same applies to Computer Science. It's just installation and configuration. cheesy

Very incorrect Seun. You can only speak of what you know. I went to the best computer engineering school in Nigeria and I know we did not do only installation and troubleshooting! There was a lot of logic array programing. Though not comparable to what you get in the western world, you will know all the basics. You will have to know electronics well because you face a lot of practicals. Cheers.
Re: Computer Science Or Engineering! Help by loveoge(f): 9:29am On Dec 04, 2007
@poster

Really you can have the best of both worlds. You can study Computer Engineering but also do what a computer scientist is doing.

The major difference between both courses is that there is a lot of proramming in computer science (though in Nigeria universities they teach outdated programs) while in computer engineering you deal with the hardware aspect.

I studied Computer Science but i know the internal workings of a computer system. The school did not teach me the computer engineering aspect but i wanted to know it, so i had to learn it outside school.

So really you can read computer engineering and then learn how to program as well. That way u can fit in anywhere.
Re: Computer Science Or Engineering! Help by Arnold1(m): 9:55am On Dec 04, 2007
Kashif:

I went to the best computer engineering school in Nigeria and I know we did not do only installation and troubleshooting! There was a lot of logic array programing. Though not comparable to what you get in the western world, you will know all the basics. You will have to know electronics well because you face a lot of practicals. Cheers.

Kashif, Which school did you attend ?

@topic, I agree with what some folks have said; Computer Engineering is the hardware component of
computers while Computer Science is the software component. So, it depends on which of the two you
want to focus on. I have to admit that Comp Engineering is more versatile, meaning you can do more with
it.

My advice - do a google search on the types of jobs people with comp science do and do the same for
comp engr so you are better informed as to which of the two would best suit you.

Good luck.
Re: Computer Science Or Engineering! Help by candylips(m): 5:15pm On Dec 12, 2007
You will have better job prospects if you major in Computer Science
Re: Computer Science Or Engineering! Help by holakunle(m): 5:44pm On Dec 18, 2007
Re: Computer Science Or Engineering! Help by abbyode(m): 6:02am On Dec 27, 2007
I have been to both worlds.
I was a computer engineer before but now a programmer (computer scientist).
I would ADVISE you go for being a computer programmer (scientist) if u are willing to work very hard.
Today, a programmer is more relevant in the business world than a computer engineer.
Infact, it is much easier to crash-learn computer engineering skills but itz not always palatable to go into programming when u have spent some time in d industry.
What i have discovered is that people dont want to go thru the rigours of coding coz really itz not an easy task, but i can tell u that itz sweet.
Even people that study computer science in school dont want to go into programming coz of this rigour.Imagine yourself providing solutions to people's problems - automating business processes.
One of the richest men in the world today is a programmer (Bill Gates). U know what, u make money at a point when u start proferring solutions to problems, when u start meeting needs.
As a programmer, you profer solutions to business NEEDS meaning u are constantly adding values.
This nairaland site was put together by a programmer and u can imagine the great effects it's having.(Seun should know what am talking about)
Meanwhile, just like seun said, u wont get real training in any of our nigerian schools (Universities & Polytechnics put together).
U would acquire most of these skills by going for extra studies outside school, then u can compete internationally.
I hope this helps.

Brgds,
Re: Computer Science Or Engineering! Help by Ezenwenyi(m): 12:44pm On Dec 30, 2007
I think every thing depends on your desire.Just follow your heart.Another thing is that;the school also have a quota in determining what u are offered with,like in my school Esut,they combine the both,before now it was called CSE computer science and engineering which is double honours,the simple truth is that u don't have to depend on your school.I will advice u continue with your computer engineering and go for other computer programs like JAVA,ORACLE,CISCO,C++,C OR any other programing language.

(1) (Reply)

Federal Teachers Scheme For NCE Holders / Total Scholarship Test Foemat / Secretary Needed Urgently !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.