Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

What Is The Right Age To Start School? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is The Right Age To Start School? (36114 Views)

What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? / Right Age To Get Married As A Guy! / What Age Is The Right Age To Have A Child? (2) (3) (4)

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by smartmom(f): 8:44pm On Jul 06, 2012
mollytinrox: When the right hand can cross over the head and touch the left ear.
So all short kids get to start later abi?

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by chidexy(m): 9:12pm On Jul 06, 2012
6 years minimum is the ideal age for a child to start primary school. Most parents are now in a hurry to process their kids into "adulthood". In most advanced countries, kids are only allowed to start school at 6/7 years of age

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Icon4s(m): 9:41pm On Jul 06, 2012
Spirit of Okija:

Most people graduate secondary school at 16.. In Nigeria, 15/16 is the benchmark age for graduating secondary sch such that by 22, you should have graduated your Masters degree..
15/16 is no bench mark! 5/6yrs is d bench mark 4 pry 1.Any child dat does d 6-3-3 would have spent 12yrs in sch making 17/18yrs age of sec sch graduation. It is bc parents & schs have abused d system with double promotns & skipping of pry 5 / 6 dat's y 14/15/16yrs olds write WAEC! D trend is worse dese days. When I wrote WAEC d least person was 16yrs,most of us were 17-19yrs olds some few 20yrs old too.

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Santi222(m): 9:58pm On Jul 06, 2012
Jabioro: First daughter started sch at age of 9 month,passed her sse at 13.8yr,second started at 10month finish at 14 while d third still sch ss2 at 13.so let them start early u will enjoy it.
And Dat is why employers of nowadays want prospective job employees not to be more than 22 years old with 4 years working experience! Where are we rushing to?

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Santi222(m): 10:00pm On Jul 06, 2012
Icon4s: 15/16 is no bench mark! 5/6yrs is d bench mark 4 pry 1.Any child dat does d 6-3-3 would have spent 12yrs in sch making 17/18yrs age of sec sch graduation. It is bc parents & schs have abused d system with double promotns & skipping of pry 5 / 6 dat's y 14/15/16yrs olds write WAEC! D trend is worse dese days. When I wrote WAEC d least person was 16yrs,most of us were 17-19yrs olds some few 20yrs old too.
True talk. Ask them where dey're rushing to! Live fast, die earlier.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Nobody: 5:37am On Jul 07, 2012
Many parents send their kids to school at early ages to avoid responsibility.A child's early education (including first attempts at writing,reading,identification of pictures and memorisation) should start at home-a duty of the mother.When the child is about 3 ,you can send him to school(maybe, pre-nursery or even nursery,depending on the degree of your perceived intellectual powers of the child) and try to follow up on whatever the child is taught at school.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Nobody: 6:03am On Jul 07, 2012
Santi222:
And Dat is why employers of nowadays want prospective job employees not to be more than 22 years old with 4 years working experience! Where are we rushing to?
Besides, this is one of the reasons why we find it almost impossible to curb examination malpractices in Nigeria.Many of these underage candidates lack MATURITY and DEXTERITY OF THE MIND;essential qualities in handling external examinations questions.In a desperate attempt to make sure their children pass,gain admission and graduate from a tertiary institution at 19 years of age,the some parents hire impersonators for their children or even follow them to the exam hall!(Imagine an educated father that accompanied his daugher to a Primary School Certificate Examination hall and started throwing 'expos' to her.) Wise up, don't push your kids beyond limits.Help them to develop intellectually at a moderate pace.

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by greatgod2012(f): 6:47am On Jul 07, 2012
I think 3 yrs shd be okay, by then,their brains wud have developed to accomodate d rigours involved in schooling, but learning actually takes place when d child is ready for it. I learnt this from my children.
When they first started schooling, it wuld look as if they were not interestd in it, that attitude may last for a whole session or more, but later see a vvry very rapid improvement in them, so i normally take d 1st session as preparatory class for them, so age 3 is okay, with my children, they will get to pry1 at age 6.

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Nobody: 8:08am On Jul 07, 2012
zsd1f
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by 2busy: 9:43am On Jul 07, 2012
Anything between age 0 and 4 is called JE-ILE-OSINMI :oAnything between age 0 and 4 is called JE-ILE-OSINMI
Real age to start school is age 5
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Paulfish: 12:10pm On Jul 07, 2012
3 yrs gbam!!! no more no less
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Messielakes(f): 2:30pm On Jul 07, 2012
As for me i didn't go to a nursery or pre nursery school, i started from primary one at 5 and by 16 i was through with secondary and by 20 i had my Bsc in Biochemistry.

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by sucezTP(f): 6:47pm On Jul 07, 2012
I think a child needs to be properly nurtured by his/her loving parents first, frm home. Dis will give an intro., to schooling.

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Nkemsplendid: 1:44pm On Oct 04, 2014
My children have enjoyed staying at home till they were almost 3 and joining grade school at 6. I might have been lucky with nannies because I often left them with nannies after my maternity leave. My job is also flexible so mostly by the time I'm done with school run in the afternoon, i am free to stay with my kids. I have benefited from not rushing them into school, they all learnt to speak Igbo first, they hardly fall ill in when school starts, we never had to deal with potty training or take diapers to school, they are often so confident and comfortable that they automatically take up leadership roles in class. Teachers say they are a delight to have. They are doing well academically. It may be tempting to have your son bag his M.Sc by age 20 but being a university lecturer myself and seeing some of these under age 'geniuses' struggle with over all development taught me better.

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by smartmom(f): 1:49pm On Oct 07, 2014
Nkemsplendid:
My children have enjoyed staying at home till they were almost 3 and joining grade school at 6. I might have been lucky with nannies because I often left them with nannies after my maternity leave. My job is also flexible so mostly by the time I'm done with school run in the afternoon, i am free to stay with my kids. I have benefited from not rushing them into school, they all learnt to speak Igbo first, they hardly fall ill in when school starts, we never had to deal with potty training or take diapers to school, they are often so confident and comfortable that they automatically take up leadership roles in class. Teachers say they are a delight to have. They are doing well academically. It may be tempting to have your son bag his M.Sc by age 20 but being a university lecturer myself and seeing some of these under age 'geniuses' struggle with over all development taught me better.

I am so heartened to hear this opinion from an 'expert' and seasoned parent! Would love to have you teach a few things in another forum for Nigerian parents too here: http://nigerianparentsforum.com/index.php/kunena/index
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by lovinam: 9:03pm On Oct 07, 2014
Ramcie:
At age 2. But primary shld be at age 4.
A four years old child has no biZ in pry

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by kendraloops(f): 11:20pm On Nov 06, 2014
lovinam:
A four years old child has no biZ in pry

Really, but my neighbour's daughter is 4years old n in basic one(youngest in her class). She's trying but she would have been better by far if the parents ain't rushing her.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by lovinam: 7:19am On Nov 07, 2014
kendraloops:

Really, but my neighbour's daughter is 4years old n in basic one(youngest in her class). She's trying but she would have been better by far if the parents ain't rushing her.
she will struggle o. What comes naturally to other pupils in class won't be so in her case. Sometimes the parents does all d homework for them. I don't know where parents are rushing their kids to. That child should be in nursery 2. From 6 yrs is primary.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by kendraloops(f): 8:05am On Nov 07, 2014
lovinam:
she will struggle o. What comes naturally to other pupils in class won't be so in her case. Sometimes the parents does all d homework for them. I don't know where parents are rushing their kids to. That child should be in nursery 2. From 6 yrs is primary.

You are very very correct. Her mum does the homework, actually writes it in the girl's book herself.

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by lovinam: 9:06am On Nov 07, 2014
kendraloops:

You are very very correct. Her mum does the homework, actually writes it in the girl's book herself.
yup I've seen it happen severally. I blame d school for allowing her to stay in that class. Well some parents lie about their kids age .
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by smartmom(f): 10:17am On Nov 07, 2014
All nonsence. And the kids suffer for it sooner or later.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Nobody: 11:41am On Nov 07, 2014
nursery school 3-4yrs
my nephew started at 3 and he is very bright little boy
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Nov 07, 2014
School at 1 or 2? shocked shocked shocked

Do people even know what a school is?

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by smartmom(f): 8:12pm On Nov 08, 2014
carefreewannabe:
School at 1 or 2? shocked shocked shocked

Do people even know what a school is?

Beats me o.

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by potent5(m): 9:03pm On Dec 22, 2016
It's just the spirit of unhealthy competition among parents that's fueling this issue of sending toddlers to 'school' before 3. But after all the rush rush they'll start hunting for special centres to pass waec and jamb.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Dec 23, 2016
Any age less than 3, and he will either have to repeat a class at some point, or will be struggling to cope for years to come. From experience.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by nifeseun(f): 12:21pm On Aug 10, 2018
Thank God I had to read this, have been battling with the though for a week now. Hubby and I was thinking of enrolling our 1yr 7 month son in school, probably kindergarten or pre school, am a biz woman so staying with my son is not a problem, but my mum came n she said we should wait till he is 2 yrs when he can talk well n I can teach him small things at home, though av been trying but the lil man doesn't take me serious, he just says A,B n won't ans again or sys 1,2 den jump to 8,9. I think my mum is right, she is an educationists, guess am rushing him too much cos pple around av started asking y I won't let him go to school n join his mate that he is too clinging .

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by Ammy5565(f): 2:01pm On Aug 10, 2018
nifeseun:
Thank God I had to read this, have been battling with the though for a week now. Hubby and I was thinking of enrolling our 1yr 7 month son in school, probably kindergarten or pre school, am a biz woman so staying with my son is not a problem, but my mum came n she said we should wait till he is 2 yrs when he can talk well n I can teach him small things at home, though av been trying but the lil man doesn't take me serious, he just says A,B n won't ans again or sys 1,2 den jump to 8,9. I think my mum is right, she is an educationists, guess am rushing him too much cos pple around av started asking y I won't let him go to school n join his mate that he is too clinging .

This woman! If i kick you grin
Whatsapp me joor, i changed my phone.

Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by ahnie: 4:17pm On Aug 10, 2018
My daughter z 3yrs old and starting school coming September.

So to me...3yrs z the right time!
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by nifeseun(f): 2:03pm On Aug 11, 2018
Ammy5565:

This woman! If i kick you grin
Whatsapp me joor, i changed my phone.

Lolzz..
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by NL1960: 3:13pm On Aug 11, 2018
nifeseun:

When my wife started telling me that people have started asking her why our son was still not in school, i asked her if the boy is their child and that for all i care, they can decide to send their one month old baby to school and that if the boy is not 3 years old, no school for him. He started Nursery 1 at 3 years. He will be in SS1 by September while those he is senior to that their parents sent to school before him that made my wife to be pressuring me are going to JSS 3.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Start School? by nifeseun(f): 7:17pm On Aug 11, 2018
NL1960:

When my wife started telling me that people have started asking her why our son was still not in school, i asked her if the boy is their child and that for all i care, they can decide to send their one month old baby to school and that if the boy is not 3 years old, no school for him. He started Nursery 1 at 3 years. He will be in SS1 by September while those he is senior to that their parents sent to school before him that made my wife to be pressuring me are going to JSS 3.

Abi ooo, thanks for this. The way pple show concerns about other please biz u will start wondering if u re doing the right thing and question ur decisions as a parent. Thanks sir.

Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby / ‘she Denies Me Sex And My Doctor Says SEX Is Good For My High Blood Pressure’ / Married Ladies->how Was Your First Day In Your Matrimonial Home?

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51