Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:43 AM

Difficulties In Being A Stamara - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Difficulties In Being A Stamara (4327 Views)

Difficulties with Etisalat's career portal / Difficulties In Getting Job With Degree In Geology And Geophysics In Nigeria / Difficulties In Getting Job With Degree In Geology And Geophysics In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difficulties In Being A Stamara by nomzee2go: 7:40pm On Jul 06, 2012
Its no doubt dat communication is a grt tool in human existance. Being a stamara has made things difficult 4 me. Am little above average student, bt expressin my self or teachin my mates is a problem. Am through wth my H.N.D program, served and managed 2 b employed in a private skul afta a hard time interview(being a stamara). Am thinkin of quiting my job cos am really findin it difficult in teachin. Pls i need advice on wat 2 do, or hw 2 help ve a fluent speech(if posible)
Re: Difficulties In Being A Stamara by tanimola22: 12:53am On Jul 08, 2012
nomzee2go: Its no doubt dat communication is a grt tool in human existance. Being a stamara has made things difficult 4 me. Am little above average student, bt expressin my self or teachin my mates is a problem. Am through wth my H.N.D program, served and managed 2 b employed in a private skul afta a hard time interview(being a stamara). Am thinkin of quiting my job cos am really findin it difficult in teachin. Pls i need advice on wat 2 do, or hw 2 help ve a fluent speech(if posible)

Hi guy,

Have you tried the method of repetition? That is, repetitively saying what you will eventually say in class?

I had a Math teacher who was a stammerer during my secondary school days, but I met the man in 2010 and he spoke so fluently that you would hardly know he was once a stammerer.

Guy, I don't know how you see it, but I see the teaching job as a huge opportunity for you to overcome stammering. Imagine your forcing yourself to talk for hours and days and weeks and months. This should do a positive justice to your speech muscle.

Guy, please try reciting difficult tongue twisters. Also develop customized tongue twisters that are in line with the things you normally discuss with people. This way, you will become very familiar with the words and sentences, and your mouth will be more used to them so that you can say them as quickly and fluently as possible whenever the need arises. I strongly advise you try this.

Finally, pick a newspaper, a novel or any well written stuff and then try to read all the pages aloud. Do this for about 3-5 hours per day. Memorize some of what you read aloud. Now, try to say these things by heart without any aid. Repeat the process until you yourself can see a marked improvement. I am not a stammerer, but this technique has helped me improve my spoken skills.

You will get there. It will shele.
T22

3 Likes

Re: Difficulties In Being A Stamara by nomzee2go: 2:56pm On Jul 08, 2012
Tanx nd God bles u so much
Re: Difficulties In Being A Stamara by dryakson(m): 9:07pm On Jul 08, 2012
For many years, Stammering is
considered to be psychological
problems in humans associated
with lack of co-ordination between
the centers of the brain and the
mouth, caused due to a self-
developed incorrect speech mode
of the individual. However,
researchers have shed light upon
the field of stammering through
recent tests which have showed
that Stammering is connected with
a "physical" problem caused due to
the nerve impulses between the
organs of the mouth and the Basal
Ganglia, a part of the brain
Basal Ganglia is basically associated
with the co-ordination of physical
movements of our body parts. The
over secretion of a chemical
enzyme secreted by a part of the
Basal Ganglia, called " Dopamine" is
said to cause stammering. Due to
this, the affected person will have
problems in properly synchronizing
the utterance of a word with the
nerve impulses sent by the brain.
Due to the deformity, the affected
person will be having problems in
receiving impulses from the brain
to initiate a particular word or
syllable
This is the reason why a stammerer
can sing perfectly without any
problem. When you sing, you need
not pre-medidate any word or
syllable, nor do you need to
recollect and initiate any word or
syllable deliberately from your
memory, as all words come in a
rhythmic flow. Researchers are now
making experiments to discover a
medicine that will control the
secretion of "Dopamine" thus
controlling stammering in humans.
Till, then we'll just have to wait
Useful Tips and suggestions for
Stammerers
1. Never demoralise yourself for the
reason of being a stammerer.
Always remember, "Everyone
speak in a different way, you are
one of them. No one else has to
worry about how you speak". So,
don't hate yourself for being a
stammerer
2. Remember that you are just
another human being, Stammering
does not make you inferior than
others. You still possess unique
qualities and talents that others
may not possess
3. Don't substitute easier words in
place of words that are difficult to
pronounce. Many stammerers
follow this habit, but this will only
worsen your stammering. If you
feel uncomfortable saying a word,
better stay silent
4. Don't make artificial physical
movements of parts of the head
and mouth when you speak.
Remember that Stammering is
concerned with the brain. It has
nothing to do with your external
parts of the body
5. Always have a positive frame of
mind and believe that you can
overcome stammering. Always
believe in the "Impossible is
nothing" motto
Re: Difficulties In Being A Stamara by Appearance(m): 7:18am On Jul 14, 2012
I do stammer, but I don't consider it a handicap. Initially I allowed it to limit my potentials till I got angry one day and vowed no more.
I said to myself; I am smarter than most of my colleagues, why not find an avenue to show it. I also searched deep down and realised that I stammer more when am nervous and my nervousness is usually born out thinking of HOW I'm gonna say stuff rather than dwelling on WHAT I'm gonna say.
I also realised that when I'm with close friends whom I'm very free with and speaking with a particular accent, my stammering becomes grossly reduced. That became a key; I have risen to become the HOD in my office, holding daily management meetings, my wife and daughter now speaks with a kind of accent in a bid to immitate my style of speaking.
The truth is that once in a while the ugly monster crops up but I don't let it bother me.
The most potent tool is to free ur mind of the fact that you stammer and avoid being nervous. Afterall, almost everyone stammers when nervous.

3 Likes

Re: Difficulties In Being A Stamara by Elebiju: 11:42pm On Jul 22, 2012
When u talk of stammerers I am a hardcore stammerer but it has not deter me from pursuing my goals I argue more than a fluent person and I take tutorials in my school so been a stammerer is an avenue for u to strive to make things work ur way mind u I am a good vocalist
Re: Difficulties In Being A Stamara by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jul 24, 2012
I once knew a pastor who told us n a service dat he was a stammerer, he said he overcame t by determination and prayers

(1) (Reply)

Good Ican Tutorial Centre In Abuja Please / Which Professional Exam(s) Should An Agricultural Economist Do? / Scfundz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.