Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,815 members, 7,810,127 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:17 PM

John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case (3911 Views)

John Terry Cleared Of Racism Against Anton Ferdinand / John Terry Vows To Clear His Name Over Anton Ferdinand Racism Claim! / Football Trial In Uk. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by mukina2: 6:38pm On Jul 09, 2012

Chelsea captain John Terry 'racially abused' QPR's Anton Ferdinand in response to taunts about his alleged affair with a team-mate's ex-girlfriend, a court heard on the first day of the pair's racism-row trial.

The 31-year-old allegedly called QPR defender Ferdinand a 'f****** black c***'.

Terry is accused of a racially aggravated public order offence during a Barclays Premier League match on October 23 last year, which was broadcast to millions of people.
Appearing at Westminster Magistrates' Court, Terry sat in the dock wearing a light grey suit, white shirt and pink tie.

The court heard that Terry told Ferdinand to 'f*** off" and also called him a "f****** k*******' as the pair exchanged insults.

Opening the prosecution, Duncan Penny said: 'The Crown alleges that the words he used demonstrated hostility based on Mr Ferdinand's membership or presumed membership of a racial group.
Accused: Terry denies any wrongdoing after being charged with shouting an offensive comment to Ferdinand

Accused: Terry denies any wrongdoing after being charged with shouting an offensive comment to Ferdinand

The court heard that Terry maintains he was only sarcastically repeating words that Ferdinand wrongly thought he had used.

Mr Penny said: 'The Crown alleges that the defendant, most probably in response to physical gestures being made by Mr Ferdinand which the defendant understood to refer to the well-publicised allegation of an extra-marital affair with a team-mate's wife, shouted at Mr Ferdinand.'
No sentence: Terry doesn't face a jail term

No sentence: Terry doesn't face a jail term

He went on: 'The Crown's case is that the words were abusive and insulting in a straightforward sense and that the term 'f****** black c***' was uttered as an abusive insult demonstrating hostility based on Mr Ferdinand's membership of a racial group.

'They were uttered by the defendant in response to goading by Mr Ferdinand on the issue of his extra-marital affair, rather than by way of exaggerated and instant querying of a perceived false allegation.'

Terry was allowed out of the dock into the well of the court to view footage of the alleged insult.

Before the case started, defence barrister George Carter-Stephenson QC asked for Terry to be allowed to sit beside him in the well of the court rather than in the dock.

District Judge Howard Riddle rejected the request.

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand, controversially axed from Roy Hodgson's 23-man Euro 2012 squad, tweeted support for his brother on Monday.

'Morning all! Frazzled head this morning, school run done! @anton_ferdinand head high bruv,' Ferdinand said.

Terry denies any wrongdoing and has hired the services of experienced and highly respected QC, George Carter-Stephenson, to lead his defence.

The case is being heard by Chief Magistrate Howard Riddle, and there is no jury.

Both television clips and unbroadcast footage of the incident, which would normally be used for training purposes, were shown to the court.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2170784/John-Terry-racism-trial-Chelsea-captain-arrives-court-Anton-Ferdinand-showdown.html#ixzz209EiIj2p
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jul 09, 2012
All because he called him a black cu.nt, huh? grin grin

Emotional and sensitive people.. Black people get upset for the wrong reasons.

Fight against institutionalized racism, this verbal crap is just pointless.. undecided
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by SisiKill1: 6:46pm On Jul 09, 2012
How the h*** are we supposed to make sense of the f****** article if every other M*****F***** word is f****** bleeped out?!!

Sometimes being PC can be a pain!! cheesy
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jul 09, 2012
Shyte, I had bananas thrown at me in Stoke two years ago - and I ate that shyte with pride... grin grin

Words don't faze real upright black men - we fight the power. cool

2 Likes

Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by Okijajuju1(m): 6:53pm On Jul 09, 2012
whats the meaning of F******** K********

The K especially!!! undecided
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by SisiKill1: 6:57pm On Jul 09, 2012
Okija_juju: whats the meaning of F******** K********

The K especially!!! undecided

Lmao!

Help me ask them oh!! cheesy
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by trigar12(m): 7:05pm On Jul 09, 2012
The biggest sentence he can get is just £2,500, warbish n waste of time

1 Like

Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by johnson11(m): 7:40pm On Jul 09, 2012
What is the different btw John Terry case with Suarez own because i am confused, both of them racist abused there opponent on the field and FA ban Suarez for 8 matches but why is Terry case so long?
Why haven't FA ban Terry?
Why didn't the court took up Erva case?
Please, House i will love someone to enlighten me on this?
Just read the highest fine he can receive is mere 2500 pounds wow what a great fine!
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by Babamide(m): 7:48pm On Jul 09, 2012
Is anton not a black c***?
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by ebamma(m): 7:51pm On Jul 09, 2012
fucck the whites,their insults can never kill our black spirit
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by dotman(m): 7:54pm On Jul 09, 2012
johnson11: What is the different btw John Terry case with Suarez own because i am confused, both of them racist abused there opponent on the field and FA ban Suarez for 8 matches but why is Terry case so long?
Just read the highest fine he can receive is mere 2500 pounds wow what a great fine!

John terry is British and his service was required in Euro 2012. Its something called curruption. If ur a Nigerian, am sure ur familiar with that word.

1 Like

Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by Sagamite(m): 7:57pm On Jul 09, 2012
ebamma: fucck the whites,their insults can never kill our black spirit

Casual, reetarded racism by one of the foools that will quickly claim racism.

johnson11: What is the different btw John Terry case with Suarez own because i am confused, both of them racist abused there opponent on the field and FA ban Suarez for 8 matches but why is Terry case so long?

Because John Terry is a White man!

Suarez is Latino, so they feel it is less damaging.

If a black fooool says the same thing to a white man in reverse, you are guaranteed no one would blink in the UK.

trigar12: The biggest sentence he can get is just £2,500, warbish n waste of time

And the whole hula-bula court process will probably cost the tax-payer north of £200K.
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by tunapawizzy: 8:31pm On Jul 09, 2012
My brother beyond dis John Terry matter, u go really need mega enlightenment
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jul 09, 2012
Abeg make una leave terry alone, ferdinand started the verbal war
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by johnson11(m): 8:48pm On Jul 09, 2012
tunapawizzy:
My brother beyond dis John Terry matter, u go really need mega enlightenment
Please what do mean?
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by johnson11(m): 8:52pm On Jul 09, 2012
Guys , i found this over the internet, thou it was written by a died -hard Liverpool Fc fan but there might be so truth in it.

SUAREZ vs. Terry: The FA's cunning strategy revealed...?

On the 23 October, John Terry was caught on camera blatantly screaming a racist expletive at QPR's Anton Ferdinand. Whether he had racist intent is open to debate, but the available evidence was/is definitely persuasive enough to warrant an FA charge...or so you would have thought. For two days after the incident, the England captain was the subject of major controversy and recrimination, and the FA was besieged with public pressure to charge the player. Then, just as things were reaching boiling point, a 'member of the public' emailed a complaint to the Police. How frightfully convenient.

In one fell swoop, all the pressure on the FA dissipated; it was no longer their responsibility, and they were gifted the welcome excuse of not being able to charge Terry as a result of the Police investigation.

As I said, how convenient.

Who was this good Samaritan who reported Terry to the Police? I've spoken to Hammersmith Police and they (predictably) wouldn't provide any details at all, but I expected that.

This is just personal speculation, and is not based on any known or presumed fact but what if it was someone at the FA (or someone connected to the FA with a vested interest) who reported Terry to the Police?

Is this so far-fetched? I don't think so. How much effort does it take to send an anonymous email?

To be clear: I'm not suggesting that the FA as an organisation would actually sit down and sanction such a thing (!), but perhaps a rogue employee who went under the radar in a misguided attempt to 'help'?

Consider the following:

* In the entire history of football, no top-flight player has ever been convicted of racism.

* If John Terry - the England Captain - was found guilty of racism, the damage to the FA's reputation would be immense, especially after they allowed him to be reappointed as Captain after other high-profile indiscretions.

* If Terry was found guilty, it would basically confirm that racism *does* exist in English football, something the FA clearly doesn't want to admit.

I believe the potential strategy here is obvious:

* Report Terry to the Police anonymously so an investigation is triggered

* Hope that the Police decide not to move forward with charges.

It's a gamble, but it's probably one worth taking because the FA wins whatever way you look at it:

* If the Police decide not to charge Terry due to 'insufficient evidence', the FA will then have the perfect excuse to follow suit and refrain from filing their own charges. They would have a legitimate reason too: how can we charge him if the Police found no evidence of racism?

* If the Police decide to charge Terry, then the FA will have no choice but to charge him too, but it will look like their hand has been forced by the Police (as opposed to the FA taking unilateral action themselves, which is what they should've done in the first place).

I have absolutely no doubt that the Crown Prosecution Service will ultimately decide that Terry will NOT be charged, which I believe has been the FA's hope all along.

Someone still needs to burn though; the FA still needs a sacrificial lamb to show the world that it is actually tough on racism.

No prizes for guessing who that is going to be...

NB. I posted an article a few days ago showing how one of the Suarez-Evra disciplinary panel members had close links to Man United manager Sir Alex Ferguson. Since then, I've been contacting the FA on a daily basis, requesting that they explain how/why they chose someone potentially biased to sit on the panel, but so far they've refused to comment.

Jaimie Kanwar

http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2011/12/suarez-vs-terry-fas-cunning-strategy.html
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by Nobody: 12:14am On Jul 10, 2012
Its simply because Evra reported the case to the FA(through the refferee),while Anton ferdinand reported it to the Police after the match...Glory Glory Manchester United!
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by Nobody: 12:15am On Jul 10, 2012
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by chucky234(m): 12:48am On Jul 10, 2012
akthedream: Its simply because Evra reported the case to the FA(through the refferee),while Anton ferdinand reported it to the Police after the match...Glory Glory Manchester United!
Another sporting mumu..., how and when Evra report to the FA and Anton report to the police? Guess you have not been following this from the day Chelsea played QPR,go get your facts before coming here to fool yourself.
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by chucky234(m): 12:50am On Jul 10, 2012
The black sheep of British Football and a corrupt-bias FA
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by Nobody: 2:39am On Jul 10, 2012
On the pavement outside
Westminster magistrates court, a
lone Chelsea fan in a replica shirt
and baseball cap held up a life-size cardboard cut-out of John Terry and tried to attract the attention of the small army of photographers jostling for position behind the metal fences.
Inside – up the stairs, turn right past the security guys and through the two sets of double doors – Terry sat behind the
glass-walled dock of courtroom one. Wearing a pale grey suit, salmon-pink tie and polished shoes he could have been dressed for a summer wedding.
Instead, he was face-to-face with
Anton Ferdinand, the opponent the called a "f-ucking black c-u-nt"
while playing for Chelsea in a Premier League match against QPR last October.
It was the row, ultimately, that
led to Terry losing the England captaincy – although he still played in Euro 2012 – which, in turn, brought about the dispute
between Fabio Capello and the
Football Association that saw the
Italian resign as national team
manager. And it all started from a
dispute over a penalty-kick that
was never given.
Ferdinand was angry that Terry thought he should have been awarded one; Terry barged into
him. The two players swapped insults. Terry waved his hand in front of his nose, as if to indicate that Ferdinand had bad breath.
"Handbags," they agreed after
the match. Banter, football stuff, shake hands and keep it on the pitch. But then it got serious.
Ferdinand was shown some YouTube footage and told he was trending on Twitter. It had
become "global news," as he put
it.
By the time court case
1103985595, listed as "John George Terry 07/12/80", had
finished for its first day, it was
difficult to recollect how many times, even roughly, the word "cunt" had been used. Forty? Fifty? One hundred? More? The only certainty was that it was going to be a difficult day for newspapers, radio and television
when it came to their asterisk and bleeping policy. Early in his
evidence, Ferdinand was unsure about whether or not he could swear in court. "It's a serious issue," the prosecutor Duncan Penny told him. "Please do not
worry about the language, what
did you call Mr Terry?" Ferdinand replied: "A cunt." And so it began.
At times Ferdinand could be seen
looking to his mother, Janice, and other relatives in the front row of the public gallery. Along from them sat Chelsea's chairman,
Bruce Buck. Representatives from
the football anti-racism and
discrimination organisation Kick It Out, and the Football
Association were also among the
assorted media. The court had doled out tickets in the manner of a football club distributing press passes, and the queue of reporters turned away at the door was substantial.
They missed an extraordinary day in which Ferdinand was
asked at one point to
demonstrate to the court precisely how he had gestured towards Terry on the pitch. He did so with a clenched fist, bending his elbow and delivering
a pumping action. Asked what it was supposed to signify,
Ferdinand replied: "A shag."
And whose alleged shagging?
That was covered, too. Terry's relationship with the partner of
Wayne Bridge, his then Chelsea
team-mate, provided the backdrop. "How can you call me a
cunt?", Ferdinand said he had shouted at Terry. "You shagged your team-mate's missus, you're
the cunt."
That word again. "When someone calls you a cunt, that's fine," Ferdinand said. "When someone brings your colour into it, it takes it to another level."
Terry could be seen taking down notes. At the end, he left with a large file of his legal team's
paperwork under his arm. It was
only a couple of weeks since he
was being acclaimed as one of
England's more impressive
performers at Euro 2012. Before that, he had lifted the Champions League trophy with Chelsea, despite not playing in the final.
Now he stands in a criminal court charged with using racially
insulting words.
His defence, we learned, was that
while he did use the offending words, they were merely a "sarcastic exclamation", and he
was responding indignantly to
Ferdinand wrongly accusing him of racism on the pitch. Terry said he was angry at Ferdinand
"questioning me being a racist."
Outside, as the rush-hour traffic went past on Marylebone Road,
the cardboard cut-out of "JT", as he was often referred to, had been badly propped against the court building's wall. It looked worn out.
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by fashizie(m): 4:26am On Jul 10, 2012
annoyin britico folks.always tryin too hard to be hollier than thou
no offence,but if u ask me,i think we black folks are making this whole racism thing prolong more than neccesary.
if someone is angry,dey wanna say things that will get at u d most.for example:someone calls u fuckin black cunt,and u call them smellin white thrash.u guys move on as adults.
there r alot of words dat hurt the whites more than even callin black niggers.and now,we dont even need to be called niggaz,any slightest use of d word black we r lookin for self/world pity.jst makes me sick n gives dem the idea dey ve a master stroke.
conclusion:blatter made a comment on twitter abt dealin wit it on the pitch n peeps went berserk,i know comin from a white skinned person it was hard to take,but i think he had some point.
if am abused,i will double-curse back instead of wallowing in abject self pity.thats one of the best way to stop racism.at least on a one on one scale.
nb;i am nigerian and this is my take.
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by redsun(m): 8:59am On Jul 10, 2012

Because they needed him to play at Euro competition. If all these had open up before the competition, he wouldnt stand a chance.

Oyinbo knows their priorities,it is we blacks that doesnt,that is why we keep falling victims. Victims of our own laxity and ignorance.
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by megxo(m): 9:32am On Jul 10, 2012
plsssss, all footballers use harsh words on each oda durin a match, de'll settle dia differences in d bar... wink
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by megxo(m): 9:34am On Jul 10, 2012
Adetayo100: Abeg make una leave terry alone, ferdinand started the verbal war
n anton got served..... cool
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by Nobody: 11:08am On Jul 10, 2012
day 2 of the trial, isn't there something the nigerian judiciary can learn from this, with the never ending adjournments? In this situation barring any unexpected outcomes, the trial is going to last five days, hope we can learn from this in Nigeria.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/09/john-terry-response-taunts-court
The case is expected to last five days and will be heard by the chief magistrate, Howard Riddle, and no jury.
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by Ignatio(m): 11:08am On Jul 10, 2012
I still wonder why the case ended in court
BTW that lawyer looks like Ashly Cole.
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by Okijajuju1(m): 11:13am On Jul 10, 2012
Does the 'K********' word that Terry called ferdinand by any chance mean 'KIDNAPPER'?!

As in 'Fhucking Kidnapper'..?!

Food for thought!!
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by cap28: 7:16pm On Jul 10, 2012
[img][/img]
Okija_juju: Does the 'K********' word that Terry called ferdinand by any chance mean 'KIDNAPPER'?!

As in 'Fhucking Kidnapper'..?!

Food for thought!!

No it means knob which is british slang for p.en.is
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by Okijajuju1(m): 8:20pm On Jul 10, 2012
cap28: [img][/img]

No it means knob which is british slang for p.en.is

How does knob become a racist slur?
Re: John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jul 10, 2012
he added black 1st.....
Okija_juju:

How does knob become a racist slur?

(1) (Reply)

Arsenal Vs Blackpool [6 - 0] On Saturday 21st Aug At 3pm / Why Do Messi And Ronaldo Score So Many? / Fulham(0) Vs Arsenal (1) On Saturday September 26, 2009

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.