Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,026 members, 7,818,030 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

What Are D Career Prospects For A Mathematics Graduate? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Are D Career Prospects For A Mathematics Graduate? (7745 Views)

Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate / Job Prospects For A Bsc Microbiologist In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are D Career Prospects For A Mathematics Graduate? by Chuks0485: 10:00pm On Jul 09, 2012
As an unemployed graduate of Mathematics(BSc),i hav lukd 4 job since late 2010 in different sector of our economy(9ja) with out securing a job;the banking sector was a no go area b/c am above 28yrs of age though i have regularly applied 4 entry level without any invite 4 test talk more of inteview, d oil servicing sector is also smtin else as everyone i have met to help me submit my cv told me d same tin-that wat their firm need is an engineering graduate or a geology graduate;the manufacturing/ conglomerate industries are also always specific of d field of study dey want which in most cases excludes mathematics,likewise other sectors(am nt sure its as a result of poor cv packaging as i have done alot of research on cv writting and did apply d knowledge in packaging my cv)
During school days,we were told that maths graduates are hot cake in d labour market as such we were encouraged 2 study hard in order 2 make gud grades,this i did n i graduated with a c.g.p of around 4.30;and because i couldnt secure a job after my NYSC i have enrolled 4 MSc program in mathematic;i would like 2 knw d career chances for a mathematics graduate as i will soon finish d program and enter the labour market again. (pls exclude lecturing n teaching career as i already knw abt dem) thanks.
Re: What Are D Career Prospects For A Mathematics Graduate? by yemmyma: 5:05am On Jul 10, 2012
Of course, mathematics is one of the greatest undergraduate courses, unfortunately you are in the wrong place with your degree. I will advice you to get your certificate and start looking to run, i mean run as fast as you can away from Nigeria. Don't do anything less.

In the west, Mathematicians are in needed everywhere and i am sure about this. In fact, there are many opportunities for you to get a masters program of your choice abroad with your grade and maybe one or two exams like TOEFL and GRE or GMAT depending on where you look into. If i start telling you so many places you can do well with your degree it will be no less than an essay. So while you have at least seen my first conviction for you is to look elsewhere than Nigeria, i will like to leave this option open for more people to contribute and give you more specific way to go about it.

So don't lose hope, i am sure by this time next year you should be smiling with an admission for a top masters degree.

I just thought i should add one more to start the party. As a very eurocentric person, i would advise you to look towards schools in Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland. Again, i think you should look more into the finance area especially in quantitative finance, acturial or operations research. I am sure some universities in Switzerland and the Netherlands can give you scholarship which include tuition fee and maintenance allowance with a good application.

In Germany, you don't have to pay tuition at most uni but i don't know much about funding at their unis before your studies. But the Government is starting to give very promising student monthly stipend for their upkeep. Sounds good enough?

Start making Google your friend.

1 Like

Re: What Are D Career Prospects For A Mathematics Graduate? by ishmael(m): 2:24pm On Jul 10, 2012
You can also be self employed. Equip urself with computing and statistical skills and start a small consulting firm. Regards.

2 Likes

Re: What Are D Career Prospects For A Mathematics Graduate? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jul 10, 2012
As a graduate of mathematics, you can choose to diversify in any sector you choose.
Ask yourself first what you love doing and work on it.
U can go into IT( it is a very vast field) and with your Bsc Mathematics, you can easily fit into it.
the sky is very big for you to fit into.
Re: What Are D Career Prospects For A Mathematics Graduate? by yamakuza: 9:11pm On Jul 10, 2012
ishmael: You can also be self employed. Equip urself with computing and statistical skills and start a small consulting firm. Regards.

kindly expand on this. thanks!
Re: What Are D Career Prospects For A Mathematics Graduate? by ishmael(m): 9:40pm On Jul 10, 2012
yamakuza:

kindly expand on this. thanks!

Meaning if he's good in computing or statistics he can set up a consulting outfit and sell his products and services to those who would need them.
Re: What Are D Career Prospects For A Mathematics Graduate? by yamakuza: 11:34pm On Jul 10, 2012
ishmael: Meaning if he's good in computing or statistics he can set up a consulting outfit and sell his products and services to those who would need them.

not what i meant/asked. thanks anyway.
Re: What Are D Career Prospects For A Mathematics Graduate? by nitrogen(m): 6:03am On Jul 11, 2012
ishmael: You can also be self employed. Equip urself with computing and statistical skills and start a small consulting firm. Regards.
Is it okay/possible for a recent graduate(first degree) without experience to start a firm?
P.S. Pardon my ignorance, if it is?
Re: What Are D Career Prospects For A Mathematics Graduate? by ishmael(m): 9:26pm On Jul 11, 2012
nitrogen:
Is it okay/possible for a recent graduate(first degree) without experience to start a firm?
P.S. Pardon my ignorance, if it is?
With money all things are possible. But truely u need to gather some experience before venturing into such.
Re: What Are D Career Prospects For A Mathematics Graduate? by nitrogen(m): 10:45pm On Jul 11, 2012
ishmael: With money all things are possible. But truely u need to gather some experience before venturing into such.
Please expantiate.
Re: What Are D Career Prospects For A Mathematics Graduate? by ishmael(m): 9:50am On Jul 12, 2012
nitrogen:
Please expantiate.
Bros are u not a nigerian? I can't expantiate by typing my words. But very brief, with money one can get the logistics and skills to venture into business as a consultant in IT, Research & Statistics.
Re: What Are D Career Prospects For A Mathematics Graduate? by sunnywize: 7:41pm On Nov 28, 2014
Pls. Guys i jst gained admittion into d university d date of birth on my jamb result wil go above 30yrs on my possible yr of graduation bt my real age wil be less dan 30 pls wot can i do becos am thinkin of forfeitin d adms pls help me tanks
Re: What Are D Career Prospects For A Mathematics Graduate? by Nobody: 8:47am On Jan 29, 2016
As a graduate of mathematics, you can choose to diversify in any sector you choose.
Ask yourself first what you love doing and work on it.
U can go into IT( it is a very vast field) and with your Bsc Mathematics, you can easily fit into it.
the sky is very big for you to fit into.
nice one,,,im studyin maths as a second degree coz of my passion 4 it and I'll work on ur idea
Re: What Are D Career Prospects For A Mathematics Graduate? by Nobody: 8:49am On Jan 29, 2016
ishmael:
You can also be self employed. Equip urself with computing and statistical skills and start a small consulting firm. Regards.
nice one bro

(1) (Reply)

These Easy Tips Would Make You Look Smart On The Job / See How Much Bishop David Oyedepo Pays As Salary To His School Teachers / How Genuine Is This Job Invitation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.