Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,724 members, 7,813,395 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:46 AM

Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 (2342 Views)

Mattew Vs Luke: A Contradictory Gospel (part2) / Clarification On The Serpent In The Garden Of Eden? / Need Clarification On Married Folks Being Intimate While Fasting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by honeric01(m): 2:39pm On Jul 11, 2012
Goshen360: Na whao.

@ OP,

What is your pastor's interpretation? Can you post it and let's see the reason you are more confused after the bible study?

His interpretation according to how i heard him..

That Jesus expects us to always create situations whereby we can fall back to those who once helped in time of adversaries, getting smart and creative when we are faced with dilemma like the dishonest steward was faced with sack by his boss but went ahead to smartly gain his boss's commendation.

He said that passage taught us how to turn adversities to advantages by borrowing a leaf from the wisdom of the world the dishonest steward exhibited.
He said the passage also taught us that we should make the most out of every situation we find ourselves, in whatever position we are today, we should make sure we make something good and meaningful out of it so that when we are no longer in that position, those things we did would come and speak for us. (he emphasized on building houses, investing, giving, making friends with people, being very generous.). but insisted he's not telling anyone to go and commit fraud even though most of the examples he used as "knowing people in high places (govt) and all that and also the stories he gave harbored around these points.

Lastly, another pastor asked him if it was wise to make friends with the heathen, receive from the heathen and also give to them, his answer was that when we are sowing or reaping, we shouldn't sow on thorny ground and we should always ask for God's direction. he supported his preachings with Isaiah 5 vs 4-7, proverbs vs 24, psalms 90 vs 12 and gen 50 vs 17-20.

Three highlights he pointed out are :

1: Turning adversities to advantage
2: Making the most out of the moment
3: Being generous- willingness to release.

To me, i became confused because the passage was about someone being dishonest before his boss got him sacked and even after that he still used dishonest means to gain back his boss's love, now what is there to learn? what wisdom is there to learn in a truthful way if not what i already explained in my previous posts or is there something the pastor missed or did he use the wrong parable to explain or back up his sermon?
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by Goshen360(m): 2:49pm On Jul 11, 2012
^
Okay my brother. I will explain those verses in simple and clear language soon. Give me some time, say 3-5 hours 'cos am busy right now. The interpretation of God's word is ONE but the application are MANY. However, we MUST be careful of personal interpretation. Thank you.
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by honeric01(m): 2:52pm On Jul 11, 2012
Goshen360: ^
Okay my brother. I will explain those verses in simple and clear language soon. Give me some time, say 3-5 hours 'cos am busy right now. The interpretation of God's word is ONE but the application are MANY. However, we MUST be careful of personal interpretation. Thank you.

Thanks, waiting to read yours.
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by TheShopKeeper(m): 4:38pm On Jul 11, 2012
Luke 16:1-10
Jesus Christ our Saviour is here pressing us to, by reminding us that we are stewards of the manifold grace of God; and since we have in divers instances been unfaithful, and have forfeited the favour of our Lord, it is our wisdom to think how we may, some other way, make what we have in the world turn to a good account. The parable in this chapter is to awaken and quicken us all so to use this world and not to abuse it, to manage all our possessions and enjoyments here wisely. Jesus wants His followers to live wisely, but often times we act foolishly!

The man’s decisive action in the face of impending crisis is extolled, not the manner of his actions. He, like the prodigal son came to himself and chose to act decisively. We noticed in the passage that the man was not jailed or whipped, but he was dismissed. This showed something about the merciful character of the landlord. The steward was praised because he recognised the coming disaster and his guiltiness. This reflects a sinner who recognised his guilt and the coming judgement and quickly respond to Jesus’ offer of forgiveness and mercy.

Likewise, we should be wise, decisive and quick to take appropriate action to find the favour of our Lord Jesus Christ, if and when we have come short in our individual lives. Our God, like the landlord, in the passage is willing to forgive and redeem us.

1 Like

Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by honeric01(m): 5:08pm On Jul 11, 2012
TheShopKeeper: Luke 16:1-10
Jesus Christ our Saviour is here pressing us to, by reminding us that we are stewards of the manifold grace of God; and since we have in divers instances been unfaithful, and have forfeited the favour of our Lord, it is our wisdom to think how we may, some other way, make what we have in the world turn to a good account. The parable in this chapter is to awaken and quicken us all so to use this world and not to abuse it, to manage all our possessions and enjoyments here wisely. Jesus wants His followers to live wisely, but often times we act foolishly!

The man’s decisive action in the face of impending crisis is extolled, not the manner of his actions. He, like the prodigal son came to himself and chose to act decisively. We noticed in the passage that the man was not jailed or whipped, but he was dismissed. This showed something about the merciful character of the landlord. The steward was praised because he recognised the coming disaster and his guiltiness. This reflects a sinner who recognised his guilt and the coming judgement and quickly respond to Jesus’ offer of forgiveness and mercy.

Likewise, we should be wise, decisive and quick to take appropriate action to find the favour of our Lord Jesus Christ, if and when we have come short in our individual lives. Our God, like the landlord, in the passage is willing to forgive and redeem us.

Thanks for this dimension
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by Goshen360(m): 6:19pm On Jul 11, 2012
He also said to His disciples: "There was a certain rich man who had a steward, and an accusation was brought to him that this man was wasting his goods. vs.1 (Nkjv)

Jesus had told a similar parable of the prodigal son just immediately before this parable, both are all about wasting resources to teach the kingdom people how to manage resources to the benefit of the kingdom of God. In the case of this steward being accused (implying malice but not necessarily falsehood or fraud) of wasting his master's goods unlike the prodigal son wasting his father's goods/resources and not a case of fraud that this steward was charged with but this steward later proved the case beyond wasting of goods to a case of fraud/falsehood simply because he wants to provide/secure his future survival after being put out of work.
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by Goshen360(m): 6:21pm On Jul 11, 2012
So he called him and said to him, 'What is this I hear about you? Give an account of your stewardship, for you can no longer be steward. Vs. 2

Again, what the master heard about this steward is resource wasting and the steward was asked to give account of how he manages his master's resources or goods. This is not enough to sack this steward because it has not being investigated and confirmed that the steward actually was wasting his master's good but the master decided the steward's job will end suddenly.
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by Goshen360(m): 6:22pm On Jul 11, 2012
Then the steward said within himself, 'What shall I do? For my master is taking the stewardship away from me. I cannot dig; I am ashamed to beg. Vs.3

Since the master decided to take the stewardship away from him and this steward cannot “dig” and ashamed to “beg”, he thought of what to do and later came up with “worldly” kind of idea for survival since he doesn't want to beg neither can he “dig”.
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by Goshen360(m): 6:23pm On Jul 11, 2012
I have resolved what to do, that when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses.' "So he called every one of his master's debtors to [him], and said to the first, 'How much do you owe my master?' "And he said, 'A hundred measures of oil.' So he said to him, 'Take your bill, and sit down quickly and write fifty.' "Then he said to another, 'And how much do you owe?' So he said, 'A hundred measures of wheat.' And he said to him, 'Take your bill, and write eighty. vs. 4-7

The intention of this steward for taking the steps he took was “that when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses” so he gave discount and let the debtors make a new agreement to benefit the debtors and himself so that everyone will be his friend when he is put out of office.
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by Goshen360(m): 6:25pm On Jul 11, 2012
So the master commended the unjust steward because he had dealt shrewdly. For the sons of this world are more shrewd in their generation than the sons of light. Vs.8

This is the main issue about this parable. How can the master commend an unjust steward that was ACCUSED of wasting his master’s good (vs.1) and later turned to be something of fraud/unjust/falsehood from the steward simple because of future survival. Again, it MUST BE NOTED THAT IT WAS NOT GOD OR JESUS WHO COMMENDED THE UNJUST STEWARD BUT THE MASTER. In the the KJV the word, “lord” is used as for the master of the steward and the reason for the commendation is, “because he (steward) had done wisely”: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.

How are the children of this world wiser in their generation that the children of light and the example of the unjust steward is used to compare to the children of light? We have to translate the context of the word of Christ. To say that Christ was using this to teach his disciples unjust means is to pervert the words of Christ. To insinuate that riches gained by unjust means are sanctioned by Christ or that they gain one a passport to heaven if they are sanctified by God is a perversion of the words of Christ as this is contrary to verses 9-13.

So what is this steward commended for since all this transactions are secret? How the could the master had known since he cannot prove new contracts were not the old ones? So what is the master commending the steward for? It is the far seeing “worldly” wisdom of the steward to provide for himself that is commended, not the right or wrong of his act; the object he had in view NOT the means used to attain that end.

[b]For the sons of this world are more shrewd in their generation than the sons of light.[/b]

Also notice that ALL characters in this parable are unjust, unscrupulous and corrupt. Most unbelievers are wiser in the ways of the world than some believers are in the things of God and towards things of God. This is what that statement meant. It's easy for corrupt people in the world to deal with themselves than true believers and unbelievers to deal with believers. Imagine the debtors are true believers or they are sons of light, you mean they will agree to change the bills of their debts knowing that is falsehood and corruption. But they were all able to dance around because they are all unjust. So if they are unjust in their worldly ways, the children of light, believers are to be wiser in the things of God or towards the things of God for eternal planning.
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by Goshen360(m): 6:27pm On Jul 11, 2012
"And I say to you, make friends for yourselves by unrighteous mammon, that when you fail, they may receive you into an everlasting home. “He who [is] faithful in [what is] least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in [what is] least is unjust also in much. "Therefore if you have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true [riches]? And if you have not been faithful in what is another man's, who will give you what is your own? "No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon." Vs. 9-13

Now, from verse 9, Jesus is implying the message he intend to pass across to his disciples. The verse 1-8 were not the words of Christ as if he was giving a command but they were his words as in he was telling a parable of between a master and a steward. His own teachings from the parable now implies from verse 9 with the words, “And I say to you” What is Christ saying here in verse 9 and what does he meant by “make friends for yourselves by unrighteous mammon, that when you fail, they may receive you into an everlasting home”?

The unjust steward used his master's money to buy earthly friends for his home so when he is pushed out of work, he can have a place to stay; believer are to use their master's wealth in a way that will accrue friends for eternity – by investing in the kingdom gospel that brings sinners to salvation, so that when they arrive in heaven (eternal or everlasting home), those sinners or friends will be there to welcome them. If Christ was commending this unjust steward, he will not call or refer to him as unjust/dishonest in verse 8.

Christ used this parable to illustrate that even the wicked sons of this world are shrewd enough to provide for themselves against the coming evil. Believers ought to be more shrewd because they are concerned with eternal matters, not just earthly ones and such is read in Christ's statement from 10-13. Faithful use of one's earthly wealth us repeatedly tied to the accumulation of treasure in heaven and verse 12 refers to God and believer's stewardship of his money which believers only manage as stewards.
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by okeyxyz(m): 7:39pm On Jul 11, 2012
honeric01:
That Jesus expects us to always create situations whereby we can fall back to...
https://www.nairaland.com/986798/clarification-luke-16vs-1-10/1#11397721

Your pastor got it right by his teaching, he probably did not explain better & that's why your are not satisfied, but i'll explain here:

The passage(Luke 16 vs1-10) teaches that you as a christian are not performing your duties by just preaching & worshiping god, your duties are to go into the world and participate in it's wisdom(for the earth is the lord's and it's fullness therefof -1 cor 10:26), the earth & all of nature is created for your own use and to profit from it. The servant is accused of being wasteful, meaning that your belief in god is not enough to meet your needs, you must participate and excel in worldly activities: go to school, acquire a skill, become economically viable, acquire wealth, excel in knowlege, politics etc. don't sit on your hands and expect god to provide or reward you. you dishonor god by not utilizing the resources and opportunities he has set in front of you, therefor he says: he who does not excel in the things of the world, the same cannot be entrusted with the things of god.
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by honeric01(m): 7:59pm On Jul 11, 2012
Goshen360: "And I say to you, make friends for yourselves by unrighteous mammon, that when you fail, they may receive you into an everlasting home. “He who [is] faithful in [what is] least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in [what is] least is unjust also in much. "Therefore if you have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true [riches]? And if you have not been faithful in what is another man's, who will give you what is your own? "No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon." Vs. 9-13

Now, from verse 9, Jesus is implying the message he intend to pass across to his disciples. The verse 1-8 were not the words of Christ as if he was giving a command but they were his words as in he was telling a parable of between a master and a steward. His own teachings from the parable now implies from verse 9 with the words, “And I say to you” What is Christ saying here in verse 9 and what does he meant by “make friends for yourselves by unrighteous mammon, that when you fail, they may receive you into an everlasting home”?

The unjust steward used his master's money to buy earthly friends for his home so when he is pushed out of work, he can have a place to stay; believer are to use their master's wealth in a way that will accrue friends for eternity – by investing in the kingdom gospel that brings sinners to salvation, so that when they arrive in heaven (eternal or everlasting home), those sinners or friends will be there to welcome them. If Christ was commending this unjust steward, he will not call or refer to him as unjust/dishonest in verse 8.

Christ used this parable to illustrate that even the wicked sons of this world are shrewd enough to provide for themselves against the coming evil. Believers ought to be more shrewd because they are concerned with eternal matters, not just earthly ones and such is read in Christ's statement from 10-13. Faithful use of one's earthly wealth us repeatedly tied to the accumulation of treasure in heaven and verse 12 refers to God and believer's stewardship of his money which believers only manage as stewards.

Yet another dimension, thanks for the detailed explanation.
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by honeric01(m): 8:03pm On Jul 11, 2012
okeyxyz:

Your pastor got it right by his teaching, he probably did not explain better & that's why your are not satisfied, but i'll explain here:

The passage(Luke 16 vs1-10) teaches that you as a christian are not performing your duties by just preaching & worshiping god, your duties are to go into the world and participate in it's wisdom(for the earth is the lord's and it's fullness therefof -1 cor 10:26), the earth & all of nature is created for your own use and to profit from it. The servant is accused of being wasteful, meaning that your belief in god is not enough to meet your needs, you must participate and excel in worldly activities: go to school, acquire a skill, become economically viable, acquire wealth, excel in knowlege, politics etc. don't sit on your hands and expect god to provide or reward you. you dishonor god by not utilizing the resources and opportunities he has set in front of you, therefor he says: he who does not excel in the things of the world, the same cannot be entrusted with the things of god.

Good, thanks also.. Though similar but unique contribution.
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by honeric01(m): 8:04pm On Jul 11, 2012
Thanks brothers, i am grateful to you all because i have read and understood different versions and interpretations all leading to one message which is "think, create, acquire, serve, save, hope and prepare for a good future be it on earth or in heaven.
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by ronkebp(f): 8:10pm On Jul 11, 2012
honeric01: Please i need someone who's knowledgeable in the things of God and his word to help me break down this chapter.

The pastor this evening (bible study) preached about this parable but i was (and still)left more confused than before by the time he was through.

Before i write down his explanation and interpretation, i would like to read what others (men of the word preferable) can make of Luke 16 vs 1-10 (8-9 VERY IMPORTANT).

Help a confused christian out.

Thanks.

Poster, to start with, don't think Christ is in support of that evil, that man did, if you read the 'New Living Translation" it breaks it down and much more easier to understand, and the whole text does not end in verse 10, read it further down to 20, you will have a clearer understanding.

The guy in question used a fraudster brain, because he knew he will be dismissed by his master, so to gain other peoples favour, he had to reduce the debts they owed to his master, so that when he is eventually thrown out, he will have somewhere to stay....nice sense there i must say....

But Biblically, that attitude there is not a candidate for heaven, he was not faithful with the business his master entrusted to him and decided to use it for his own personal purpose and to his advantage....(that was where Christ said, he that is not faithful with little things will not be faithful with more).

Also, verse 9, is just saying even if you are going to do good to others, do it in a godly way, use your riches to help others, so that your rewards willbe in heaven....not for you to steal from A and think you are doing good by helping the poor or those in need.

Defintely the world will honour and acceopt him, but it is an abomination before God.
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by honeric01(m): 8:28pm On Jul 11, 2012
^^^

Why would i think such? no where in my write-ups did i say Christ supported any dishonesty in that parable, rather i said the pastor's interpretation didn't go down well with me.
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by ronkebp(f): 8:32pm On Jul 11, 2012
honeric01: ^^^

Why would i think such? no where in my write-ups did i say Christ supported any dishonesty in that parable, rather i said the pastor's interpretation didn't go down well with me.ed

oh!!!! just thought it might be infered.......
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by honeric01(m): 8:58pm On Jul 11, 2012
ronkebp:

oh!!!! just thought it might be infered.......

Alright, thanks sissy.
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by truthislight: 9:15pm On Jul 11, 2012
honeric01:

Here's where i have issues:

1: He was a steward and not the owner of the business, so who gave him power to reduce debts?
2: he was tagged a dishonest steward by Jesus, meaning he was conning and a fraud.
3: worldly wealth(unrighteous mammon)can be money gotten dishonestly or fraudulently.
4: Make friends by giving people money you make fraudulently so that they can give back when you're down.
Unrighteous mammon is ill-gotten wealth to me.

These 2 verses 8-9 needs a clearer explanation, i thank you for your own explanation but i need another view on it.

Guy, who told u that unrighteous riches are ill gotten wealth?
Are u saying that righteouse riches is honest money?

At what time is caesar's thing righteouse? What then will God's things be called?

Money = unrighteouse riches.
Spirituality = righteouse riches that can be stored in heaven.

If u can find the true religion use that unrighteouse riches to support it as much as u can, it is a saving that will last or help u when money cannot. (such righteouse acts are savings in heaven)
Peace.
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by honeric01(m): 9:45pm On Jul 11, 2012
truthislight:

Guy, who told u that unrighteous riches are ill gotten wealth?
Are u saying that righteouse riches is honest money?

At what time is caesar's thing righteouse? What then will God's things be called?

Money = unrighteouse riches.
Spirituality = righteouse riches that can be stored in heaven.

If u can find the true religion use that unrighteouse riches to support it as much as u can, it is a saving that will last or help u when money cannot. (such righteouse acts are savings in heaven)
Peace.

Mammon means money
when unrighteous is added to mammon, it becomes unrighteous mammon.

Mammon is not unrighteous until unrighteous is needed to it.

The verse in that chapter is clear.
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by truthislight: 9:54pm On Jul 11, 2012
its like this ur post does not need comment since u already know all.

Mormon must be a greek word that the NT bible was written in. And not a translated word of choice by the translators.
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by honeric01(m): 9:56pm On Jul 11, 2012
truthislight: its like this ur post does not need comment since u already know all.

Mormon must be a greek word that the NT bible was written in. And not a translated word of choice by the translators.

I know what i need clarification on, not on mammon, didn't they give offerings in the time of Jesus? and was mammon not used?

All the same, i know the difference between money and unholy money.
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by God2man(m): 7:08pm On Jul 12, 2012
ronkebp:

Poster, to start with, don't think Christ is in support of that evil, that man did, if you read the 'New Living Translation" it breaks it down and much more easier to understand, and the whole text does not end in verse 10, read it further down to 20, you will have a clearer understanding.

The guy in question used a fraudster brain, because he knew he will be dismissed by his master, so to gain other peoples favour, he had to reduce the debts they owed to his master, so that when he is eventually thrown out, he will have somewhere to stay....nice sense there i must say....

But Biblically, that attitude there is not a candidate for heaven, he was not faithful with the business his master entrusted to him and decided to use it for his own personal purpose and to his advantage....(that was where Christ said, he that is not faithful with little things will not be faithful with more).

Also, verse 9, is just saying even if you are going to do good to others, do it in a godly way, use your riches to help others, so that your rewards willbe in heaven....not for you to steal from A and think you are doing good by helping the poor or those in need.

Defintely the world will honour and acceopt him, but it is an abomination before God.
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by God2man(m): 7:10pm On Jul 12, 2012
honeric01:

His interpretation according to how i heard him..

That Jesus expects us to always create situations whereby we can fall back to those who once helped in time of adversaries, getting smart and creative when we are faced with dilemma like the dishonest steward was faced with sack by his boss but went ahead to smartly gain his boss's commendation.

He said that passage taught us how to turn adversities to advantages by borrowing a leaf from the wisdom of the world the dishonest steward exhibited.
He said the passage also taught us that we should make the most out of every situation we find ourselves, in whatever position we are today, we should make sure we make something good and meaningful out of it so that when we are no longer in that position, those things we did would come and speak for us. (he emphasized on building houses, investing, giving, making friends with people, being very generous.). but insisted he's not telling anyone to go and commit fraud even though most of the examples he used as "knowing people in high places (govt) and all that and also the stories he gave harbored around these points.

Lastly, another pastor asked him if it was wise to make friends with the heathen, receive from the heathen and also give to them, his answer was that when we are sowing or reaping, we shouldn't sow on thorny ground and we should always ask for God's direction. he supported his preachings with Isaiah 5 vs 4-7, proverbs vs 24, psalms 90 vs 12 and gen 50 vs 17-20.

Three highlights he pointed out are :

1: Turning adversities to advantage
2: Making the most out of the moment
3: Being generous- willingness to release.

To me, i became confused because the passage was about someone being dishonest before his boss got him sacked and even after that he still used dishonest means to gain back his boss's love, now what is there to learn? what wisdom is there to learn in a truthful way if not what i already explained in my previous posts or is there something the pastor missed or did he use the wrong parable to explain or back up his sermon?
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by Kobojunkiee: 3:26am On Apr 19, 2023
honeric01:
Please i need someone who's knowledgeable in the things of God and his word to help me break down this chapter. The pastor this evening (bible study) preached about this parable but i was (and still)left more confused than before by the time he was through. Before i write down his explanation and interpretation, i would like to read what others (men of the word preferable) can make of Luke 16 vs 1-10 (8-9 VERY IMPORTANT). Help a confused christian out. Thanks.
A parable is a story used to make a statement. You are not meant to literally interpret the details contained in the story itself. Nor are you to let those details distract and coax you into attempting to interpret the story. Instead, focus on finding the message directly contained in the story the author intended for you to find.
1 Jesus said to his followers, “Once there was a rich man. He hired a manager to take care of his business. Later, he learned that his manager was cheating him.
2 So he called the manager in and said to him, ‘I have heard bad things about you. Give me a report of what you have done with my money. You can’t be my manager anymore.’
3 “So, the manager thought to himself, ‘What will I do? My master is taking my job away from me. I am not strong enough to dig ditches. I am too proud to beg.
4 I know what I will do! I will do something to make friends, so that when I lose my job, they will welcome me into their homes.’
5 “So the manager called in each person who owed the master some money. He asked the first one, ‘How much do you owe my master?’
6 He answered, ‘I owe him 100 jars of olive oil.’ The manager said to him, ‘Here is your bill. Hurry! Sit down and make the bill less. Write 50 jars.’
7 “Then the manager asked another one, ‘How much do you owe my master?’ He answered, ‘I owe him 100 measures of wheat.’ Then the manager said to him, ‘Here is your bill; you can make it less. Write 80 measures.’
8 “Later, the master told the dishonest manager that he had done a smart thing. Yes, worldly people are smarter in their business with each other than spiritual people are.
9 “I tell you, use the worldly things you have now to make ‘friends’ for later. Then, when those things are gone, you will be welcomed into a home that lasts forever.
10 Whoever can be trusted with small things can also be trusted with big things. Whoever is dishonest in little things will be dishonest in big things too.
11 If you cannot be trusted with worldly riches, you will not be trusted with the true riches.
12 And if you cannot be trusted with the things that belong to someone else, you will not be given anything of your own.
13 “You cannot serve two masters at the same time. You will hate one master and love the other. Or you will be loyal to one and not care about the other. You cannot serve God and Money at the same time.” - Luke 16 vs 1 -13
Here are 3 messages that immediately jump out when you carefully examine the parable itself rather than the nuances of the story itself.

Verse 8 - Forgive others their debts in order that your Father in Heaven can forgive you your own debts - Matthew 6 vs 6 -15
Verses 9 - 12 - Use what you have in doing the work that you have doing for God, your father will give you more. If you do not use what you have, more will not be given to you - Matthew 25 vs 29
○ Verse 13 - Of course says you cannot serve two masters a the same time, and you also cannot serve God and money at the same time - Matthew 6 vs 24
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by Kobojunkiee: 3:28am On Apr 19, 2023
Goshen360:
○ Jesus had told a similar parable of the prodigal son just immediately before this parable, both are all about wasting resources to teach the kingdom people how to manage resources to the benefit of the kingdom of God.
○ In the case of this steward being accused (implying malice but not necessarily falsehood or fraud) of wasting his master's goods unlike the prodigal son wasting his father's goods/resources and not a case of fraud that this steward was charged with but this steward later proved the case beyond wasting of goods to a case of fraud/falsehood simply because he wants to provide/secure his future survival after being put out of work.
1. Wasting what resources? undecided

2. Do you still hold these views regarding the parables in question? undecided
Re: Clarification On LUKE 16VS 1-10 by Kobojunkiee: 3:09am On Apr 21, 2023
Goshen360:
■ Also notice that ALL characters in this parable are unjust, unscrupulous and corrupt. Most unbelievers are wiser in the ways of the world than some believers are in the things of God and towards things of God. This is what that statement meant. It's easy for corrupt people in the world to deal with themselves than true believers and unbelievers to deal with believers. Imagine the debtors are true believers or they are sons of light, you mean they will agree to change the bills of their debts knowing that is falsehood and corruption. But they were all able to dance around because they are all unjust. So if they are unjust in their worldly ways, the children of light, believers are to be wiser in the things of God or towards the things of God for eternal planning.
undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Catholicism And Pentecostalism/protestantism; The Difference In Belief. / Boldness In Prayer / If You Not A Muslim, U Need To See This.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.