Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,103 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:41 AM

Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. (24375 Views)

Beautiful Pictures Of Most Nigerian Cities / Aerial Views Of Nigerian Cities / Name 10 Best Nigerian Cities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by drake2(m): 10:21am On Jul 13, 2012
seankola:
DEAR NAIRALANDERS, I ONLY DECIDED TO COMMENT BECAUSE OF THE COMMENTS I SAW HERE. ASIDE THE FACT THAT MOST OF THE RESPONSES CAN'T APPRECIATE WHAT A FELLOW HAS DONE BY MAKING THESE PICS AVAILABLE, THE PROBLEMS WE HAVE IN NIGERIA IS QUITE OBVIOUS. WHY DO WE CURSE CITIES WE'VE NEVER BEEN TO OR EVEN GO TRIBAL ON THIS OCCASSION?
I REALLY DOUBT IF WE ARE CAPABLE OF APPRECIATING LITTLE THINGS AND MAKE GREATER THINGS FROM THEM. THESE PICS ARE SUPPOSED TO SHOW DETAILED INFO OF THE POPULAR NIGERIAN CITIES SHOWING THEIR TOPOGRAPHIC FEATURED AND SPATIAL INFO. INSTEAD OF APPRECIATING THESE, WE THROW SHAMEFUL COMMENTS AND ARGUE LIKE WE RECEIVED NO FORM OF FORMAL EDUCATION. DOES ANY THINK ANYTHING CAN BE DONE TO CHANGE THESE CITIES? OUR PAST GENERATIONS HAVE GRADUALLY SETTLED IN CITIES AND HAVE PUT LAND TO ITS BEST USE (atleast to the best of their knowledge), SO LET'S JUST USE OUR BRAINZ WHEN COMMENTING. COMMENTS ARE MEANT TO ADD VALUE AND APPRECIATE NOT TO RIDICULE. A SPECIAL CASE IS THIS WHERE MOST HAVEN'T SEEN A BIRD's EYE VIEW BEFORE NOR EVEN KNOW WHAT IT MEANS...
I WILL LIKE TO ALSO ADD THAT MAYBE MOST OF THOSE THAT USE THE INTERNET SHOULD JUST LIMIT THEIR PARTICIPATION TO FACEBOOK. COS IF U PASS SUCH STUPID COMMENTS ON FB,WE ARE ANLE TO SEE THE CULPRIT'S FACE N PROFILE.

Would the above not have made a better reading if only u had taken time to do a proper formatting of ur response?. Why present everything in Capital? I was so tortured reading thru it.

In my usual magnanimity, I have decided to re-render it in a less harsher way. pls note particularly that u remain the original author and that nothing has been changed.

Many Thanks.

"Dear nairalanders, i only decided to comment because of the comments i saw here. aside the fact that most of the responses can't appreciate what a fellow has done by making these pics available, the problems we have in nigeria is quite obvious. why do we curse cities we've never been to or even go tribal on this occassion?

I really doubt if we are capable of appreciating little things and make greater things from them. these pics are supposed to show detailed info of the popular nigerian cities showing their topographic featured and spatial info. instead of appreciating these, we throw shameful comments and argue like we received no form of formal education.

Does any think anything can be done to change these cities? our past generations have gradually settled in cities and have put land to its best use (atleast to the best of their knowledge), so let's just use our brainz when commenting. comments are meant to add value and appreciate not to ridicule. a special case is this where most haven't seen a bird's eye view before nor even know what it means...

I will like to also add that maybe most of those that use the internet should just limit their participation to facebook. cos if u pass such silly comments on fb,we are anle to see the culprit's face n profile."
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by Nobody: 10:27am On Jul 13, 2012
drake2:

Would the above not have made a better reading if only u had taken time to do a proper formatting of ur response?. Why present everything in Capital? I was so tortured reading thru it.

In my usual magnanimity, I have decided to re-render it in a less harsher way. pls note particularly that u remain the original author and that nothing has been changed.

Many Thanks.

"Dear nairalanders, i only decided to comment because of the comments i saw here. aside the fact that most of the responses can't appreciate what a fellow has done by making these pics available, the problems we have in nigeria is quite obvious. why do we curse cities we've never been to or even go tribal on this occassion?

I really doubt if we are capable of appreciating little things and make greater things from them. these pics are supposed to show detailed info of the popular nigerian cities showing their topographic featured and spatial info. instead of appreciating these, we throw shameful comments and argue like we received no form of formal education.

Does any think anything can be done to change these cities? our past generations have gradually settled in cities and have put land to its best use (atleast to the best of their knowledge), so let's just use our brainz when commenting. comments are meant to add value and appreciate not to ridicule. a special case is this where most haven't seen a bird's eye view before nor even know what it means...

I will like to also add that maybe most of those that use the internet should just limit their participation to facebook. cos if u pass such silly comments on fb,we are anle to see the culprit's face n profile."
'

We should elect you official Nairaland professional editor, proofreader, and formatter! Nice work though!
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by Ilaje44(m): 10:32am On Jul 13, 2012
@All who are getting too excited and yabbing Yorubas because of a sectional satellite views of Ibadan and Akure should please use their intelligence. Many Towns in Yorubaland have been populated before the colonialists came around. The planning of Enugu and Aba were done during the colonial time. There are well planned areas in Ibadan too. If you want to see more detailed map of Nigeria, you really dont need the google earth standalone program, you can do it with your browser. Just navigate to http://maps.google.com/. Scroll to the map of Nigeria and change to "satellite view". You can see detail maps of major Nigerian settlements.
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by Koolking(m): 10:34am On Jul 13, 2012
Great views. I might need them someday without having to stretch my data plan on google earth. Thanks op
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by Okijajuju1(m): 10:34am On Jul 13, 2012
Danka7777: I wasn't surprised at Enugu. Had to do some research and found out that It was the same Ajibola Bamidele who planned Ibadan also planned it. Not surprised at all!

Are you serious!

No wonder!!

Enugu ata go afufu na aka Ndi ofe.
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by donigspain(m): 10:43am On Jul 13, 2012
Okija_juju: Enugu looks rather fhucked up from the Sky!!
Mainly cuz of the rugged topography of the eastern cuesta. All aerial photograph on Enugu must appear phuckd up.
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by Ilaje44(m): 10:43am On Jul 13, 2012
Danka7777: Can you upload a google earth view of the Presidential Villa, close-up view? Don't ask me why; just do it.

He does not need to do it. You can do that yourself. Google will help you with your browser and a fast internet connection. Just go to http://maps.google.com and navigate to Nigeria, zoom in on Abuja and change from topographic to satellite view and voila, you can see Aso villa. I have to warn you though that Nigeria hasn't got a very detailed map, therefore, dont expect the same detailed resolution you would get in the developed countries.
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by asha80(m): 10:44am On Jul 13, 2012
that aba well planned is not in doubt (thanks to mbakwe for that).however the governors that come after him both both in old imo state and abia states are cretins for not improving on what mbakwe did.
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by megxo(m): 10:47am On Jul 13, 2012
ibadan...well known 4 its brown roof..............ABA is looked well aligned smiley
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by Afam4eva(m): 10:49am On Jul 13, 2012
asha 80: that aba well planned is not in doubt (thanks to mbakwe for that).however the governors that come after him both both in old imo state and abia states are cretins for not improving on what mbakwe did.
That's why Rochas Okorocha has promised to topple the achievement of Sam Mbakwe.
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by donigspain(m): 10:52am On Jul 13, 2012
Lordave: Aba aka 'the table city'
YES, if u meant 'table city' to represent layman's view on flat land but NO, if you meant a geographical description of a 'table city' (PLATEAU, Jos).
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by donigspain(m): 11:04am On Jul 13, 2012
Danka7777: I wasn't surprised at Enugu. Had to do some research and found out that It was the same Ajibola Bamidele who planned Ibadan also planned it. Not surprised at all!
I beg to differ, it has got nothing to do with the planner. Enugu grew as a Multiple Nuclei settlement. Enugu's planning is a beautiful one as it centered on security because of it's historical and political significance. Hardly will robbers have an easy escape out of the city as the network grid is not favourable.
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by Biafrarep(m): 11:05am On Jul 13, 2012
Ijebulogic: Aba looks very Impressive and this is the 2nd thread of discussions this morning about the great potentials of the city. I want to take a trip from Lagos to go and check out Aba and its wonderful industrious businesses to see whats possible export-wise. Is it advisable to make the trip as a JJC or do i need to go with a seasoned "brother" who knows his way around?
My brother, dis cud jus be ur major break2ru business-wise, dat said, u dont need a 'tour guide' what u need is pre-travel orientation! Economies of scale is well applied in d city, dea are diff zones for diff enterprises eg if u need quality clothing products, u go 2 Kent. U need shoes, bags n oda leather products; u go 2 Bakassi zone in Ariaria, etc if u need more info for oda products, then u've gotha pay consultancy fee!
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by Okijajuju1(m): 11:09am On Jul 13, 2012
seankola:
DEAR NAIRALANDERS, I ONLY DECIDED TO COMMENT BECAUSE OF THE COMMENTS I SAW HERE. ASIDE THE FACT THAT MOST OF THE RESPONSES CAN'T APPRECIATE WHAT A FELLOW HAS DONE BY MAKING THESE PICS AVAILABLE, THE PROBLEMS WE HAVE IN NIGERIA IS QUITE OBVIOUS. WHY DO WE CURSE CITIES WE'VE NEVER BEEN TO OR EVEN GO TRIBAL ON THIS OCCASSION?
I REALLY DOUBT IF WE ARE CAPABLE OF APPRECIATING LITTLE THINGS AND MAKE GREATER THINGS FROM THEM. THESE PICS ARE SUPPOSED TO SHOW DETAILED INFO OF THE POPULAR NIGERIAN CITIES SHOWING THEIR TOPOGRAPHIC FEATURED AND SPATIAL INFO. INSTEAD OF APPRECIATING THESE, WE THROW SHAMEFUL COMMENTS AND ARGUE LIKE WE RECEIVED NO FORM OF FORMAL EDUCATION. DOES ANY THINK ANYTHING CAN BE DONE TO CHANGE THESE CITIES? OUR PAST GENERATIONS HAVE GRADUALLY SETTLED IN CITIES AND HAVE PUT LAND TO ITS BEST USE (atleast to the best of their knowledge), SO LET'S JUST USE OUR BRAINZ WHEN COMMENTING. COMMENTS ARE MEANT TO ADD VALUE AND APPRECIATE NOT TO RIDICULE. A SPECIAL CASE IS THIS WHERE MOST HAVEN'T SEEN A BIRD's EYE VIEW BEFORE NOR EVEN KNOW WHAT IT MEANS...
I WILL LIKE TO ALSO ADD THAT MAYBE MOST OF THOSE THAT USE THE INTERNET SHOULD JUST LIMIT THEIR PARTICIPATION TO FACEBOOK. COS IF U PASS SUCH STUPID COMMENTS ON FB,WE ARE ANLE TO SEE THE CULPRIT'S FACE N PROFILE.

In addition to the beautiful editing Job done by our Ekiti State Professor Mr. Drake .. Let me also point our certain key facts;

1. This is Nairaland.. An Internet forum.. Where people come to air their views on a wide variety of subjects.. Some views are intellectual, others comical, some mischievious other downright retarded.. Nonetheless, if we all had the same thoughts and views on any subject, then there would be no need for a forum..

2. Secondly.. We appreciate the work of the O.P.. Infact, the O.P has actually changed alot of our views on the CITY called Aba.. Before now, We all thought that the city was a shithole. Well!! Now we know ALL know better..

3. If you also look carefully, inbetween some the hateful and dissenting comments, some measure of sense can be found.. E.g; When Dabrake said Ibadan and its Planless Planlessness'.. Is condecending as the statement may have been, its the truth..

4. Yes Sir!! Alot can be dont to change the City!! All Hope is not lost.. The Nigeria You see today will not be this way forever.. Oneday we will have need for speed trains, Intercity tramlines, Proper bus routes, Train Stations, Maybe even the Underground.. For these to come in, especially in a place like Akure and Ibadan where it is obvious that the City Planners were dullards and didnt think more than 6 months ahead, alot of destruction and compensation would have to be done.. A city with just one Major Highway is not qualified to be called that..

5. And yes I agree we should all use our brains.. However, use all of it.. Comments are meant to be both entertaining, educating, condecending, inspiring and whatever emotion or opinion the author intends to pass across.. We are not supposed to like all the comments posted on Nairaland.. E.G is the 'Birds eye view' comment which you picked on!! Even I know that the author was just being a comic with that post!

In conclusion, we all need to go beyond reading just the words on a post but also try to understand the mood and message the author is trying to pass across.. Even in some comments that appear tribalistic in nature.. More often than none its all just bad humour but still humour nonetheless.. I hope you understand it now and can better enjoy this and many more threads on Nairaland..

PS: Take Dabrakes advice on editing and formating!!

1 Like

Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by donigspain(m): 11:19am On Jul 13, 2012
It is an undisputable fact that Aba is one of the best planned cities in West Africa but it's problem lies on city management. The road network, by default, is anti-holdup, discourages overspeeding and reckless driving. Even the underground drainage system was constructed to manage surface runoff in such a way that it would take not more than 3 minutes for all storm rains (no matter the intensity) to wash off from the surface.
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by Okijajuju1(m): 11:21am On Jul 13, 2012
afam4eva:
That's why Rochas Okorocha has promised to topple the achievement of Sam Mbakwe.

HAhahahahahahahaaaaa

Dude!! this isnt comedy hour!!
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by Nobody: 11:29am On Jul 13, 2012
thank you poster. right now i'm looking for my home town in google earth. hope its there sha. Omoku town in Rivers state
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by ODB1: 11:29am On Jul 13, 2012
Ibadan is a horrible place with equally ugly people
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by Nobody: 11:30am On Jul 13, 2012
antitpiah: Where is the bird?
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by Biafrarep(m): 11:41am On Jul 13, 2012
apocalypse:

Aba from a birds eye view might look good but on ground it isn't pretty. You'll see human excrement on the ground and in the gutters ( people actually use the gutter as their toilets ). Yeah you can get lots of stuff to buy for sale down in Lagos or other cities , it is wise to go with someone who knows his way around. I can give you the addresses of Yoruba men ( seeing you are Yoruba ) who live there and can be of help in your quest
Pls u dnt hav 2 paint such grim picture, which area(s) do ppl excrete in d open? because i'm conversant wif d city n mind u, no city in Nigeria is devoid of squalid areas, even Lagos has Oshodi n Ajegunle.
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by Riodiao(m): 11:47am On Jul 13, 2012
Aba wey dirty like refuse dump.Old nd unpainted houses
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by Okijajuju1(m): 11:56am On Jul 13, 2012
brokoto: thank you poster. right now i'm looking for my home town in google earth. hope its there sha. Omoku town in Rivers state

Ngwa du isi ali .... grin
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by NiceKid2(f): 11:58am On Jul 13, 2012
dabrake: Aba is on point. Now, I believe my secondary school geography teacher when he said Aba is the most planned city in Nigeria

Ibadan, as usual, will never disappoint me with its 'planless planlessness'
"plan less planlessless" LMAO cheesy
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by FRANCISEKE1(m): 12:05pm On Jul 13, 2012
Okija_juju: AKURE is miserable!!

My God!!!

Looks like a settlement that slowly grew into a city without a plan..

Onitsha aint bad either!!
mail me anytime you want to touchdown phicton at yahoo dot com
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by Afam4eva(m): 12:09pm On Jul 13, 2012
brokoto: thank you poster. right now i'm looking for my home town in google earth. hope its there sha. Omoku town in Rivers state
Guy, pls your attention is needed here https://www.nairaland.com/974126/why-dont-people-onelga-rivers
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jul 13, 2012
Okija_juju:

Ngwa du isi ali .... grin
Mmai! Ogbowu. grin seriously? i'm Happy!!!
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jul 13, 2012
afam4eva:
Guy, pls your attention is needed here https://www.nairaland.com/974126/why-dont-people-onelga-rivers
i'm there now. i'll comment when i've finished reading all the comments
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by Okijajuju1(m): 12:26pm On Jul 13, 2012
brokoto: Mmai! Ogbowu. grin seriously? i'm Happy!!!

Yes o!

I had no idea... Nice to meet you..
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by kaeto(m): 12:29pm On Jul 13, 2012
Ibadan and akure represents ancient meandering cities where probably the means of transportation were 'giant snakes' carrying passangers on its back,as at when the cities were founded

1 Like

Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by Abagworo(m): 12:45pm On Jul 13, 2012
slimyem: na only abuja fine pass...
Lagos sef na..just there..
The rest na waka pass!

This satelite pix is not detailed. Larger cities like Ibadan, Lagos and Port Harcourt cannot be covered much from one shot. The Lagos pix is mainly Lekki while Port Harcourt is just the old township. Yes there are high rises in Nigerian cities like Lagos, Abuja and PH but this google earth view can't really show them. If that is needed one can visit skyscrapercity.com. What google bird eye view shows is just the layout of the cities. For example Aba and Onitsha look impressive from the air but disappointing on ground when compared with Enugu.
Re: Bird Eye View Of Nigerian Cities. by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jul 13, 2012
THATS ABA FOR YOU THOMASES..ITS ONE OF THE BEST PLANNED CITY IN NIGERIA IF NOT THE BEST.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Rivers State Completes Ikoku Flyover / Ogba-Ukwu Rocky Cave In Anambra State (Photos) / Liberia The Crystal Of West Africa. (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.