Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,036 members, 7,818,060 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:25 AM

Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? (8058 Views)

UN Security Council: How Nigeria Can Get Permanent Seat- Kodjo, Former Togo PM / Seriously, No One Can Perform This Miracle In 4 Years / Kenya Police Boss Kimaiyo Resigns, Can It Happen In Naija? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by gulfer: 8:41am On Jul 13, 2012
Togo’s president has accepted the resignation of Prime Minister Gilbert Houngbo, the presidency announced on state television late Wednesday.

No reason was given for Houngbo’s resignation, which came amid a series of protests launched by a coalition of opposition parties and civil society groups, Let’s Save Togo, that have led to dozens of arrests.

“On Wednesday, the prime minister presented his resignation and that of his government. The president of the republic accepted it,” said the statement from the office of President Faure Gnassingbe.

A former United Nations undersecretary general, Houngbo was nominated to the prime minister’s post in September 2008 by Gnassingbe, a member of the family that has ruled the small west African nation for four decades.

Gnassingbe took over the presidency in 2005 following the death of his father, General Gnassingbe Eyadema, who ruled Togo for 38 years with an iron fist.

Last month, several thousand people gathered in the capital Lome over changes to the electoral law opposition members say were forced through by the dominant governing party.

Security forces broke up a demonstration on June 13 with tear gas, and the opposition claimed 119 people were wounded over two days.

Togo’s former colonial power France has condemned the violence and urged measures to ensure transparent and peaceful polls, which are expected to be held in October, although no precise date has yet been given.

Let’s Save Togo has argued more time was needed for reforms to be carried out before the vote.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/07/12/togos-pm-resigns/
Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by Beaf: 8:53am On Jul 13, 2012
OP, there is little reason to post out of context.
I am sure 99.99% of Nigerians would prefer not to be ruled by a single man for decades, only for him to die and his son take over as is the case with Togo.

What should have concerned you is the very strange case of the Prime Minister resigning over demonstrations and the President on whose desk the buck stops accepting.

Please, google both Eyadema and Gnasingbe for the full blast of what I have summarised in a few simplistic sentences to hit you square between the eyes.

Pray that we never have such nonsense in Nigeria, Abacha is the closest we came to such despotic rule.
Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by gulfer: 9:03am On Jul 13, 2012
Beaf: OP, there is little reason to post out of context.
I am sure 99.99% of Nigerians would prefer not to be ruled by a single man for decades, only for him to die and his son take over as is the case with Togo.

What should have concerned you is the very strange case of the Prime Minister resigning over demonstrations and the President on whose desk the buck stops accepted.

Please, google both Eyadema and Gnasingbe for the full blast of what I have summarised in a few simplistic sentences to hit you square between the eyes.

Pray that we never have such nonsense in Nigeria, Abacha is the closest we came to such despotic rule.
Beaf, answer the question, can a politician resign-either under duress or not?

2 Likes

Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by Beaf: 9:11am On Jul 13, 2012
gulfer: Beaf, answer the question, can a politician resign-either under duress or not?

The speaker in one of the Northern states "resigned" earlier this week. Anyone can "resign" under duress.

Your example is poor. That Togolese politician did not resign, but was sacrificed by Togo's maximum leader.
I'm sure you can find better examples to use within Africa, instead of the very poor one from Togo.

3 Likes

Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:12am On Jul 13, 2012
Whats the meaning of this na?!

Must we drag Nigeria into all your rubbish?! angry

1 Like

Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by miteolu(m): 10:15am On Jul 13, 2012
Okija_juju: Whats the meaning of this na?!

Yes I strongly agree with you. Every countries can never act the same.
Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by mufc009(m): 10:19am On Jul 13, 2012

I thought we are already in rubbish

1 Like

Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by Dhelake: 10:22am On Jul 13, 2012
Oga o! Dem dey Compare Togo with Nigeria ni sha ...
Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by ariy(m): 10:26am On Jul 13, 2012

Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by otumfour(m): 10:33am On Jul 13, 2012
Viewing this topic: Soskid(m), kITA TITA(m), matzoro(m), S2kluv(m), ijcu(m), luckarub(m), akara(m), davies123, samholly, ashaju(m), hustla242, tbaba1234, tayo_tee(m), joj123(f), santokss, Aifey, Otseh, agent22, wamby(m), lexio(m), gulfer, mufc009(m), fridayiwere, psalmizt(m), miteolu(m), Freiburger(m), Ay_o, k10, PupetMasta(m) and 64 guest(s)

grin grin
Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by jamst(m): 10:34am On Jul 13, 2012
Resign ke,abi dis no bi 9ja...Abegi leave mata ooo cos 9ja presido wil neva resign cool
Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:39am On Jul 13, 2012
We all hope for that someday
Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by gulfer: 10:43am On Jul 13, 2012

Dhelake: Oga o! Dem dey Compare Togo with Nigeria ni sha ...
Save me that high horse statement, the fabled 'Giant of Africa' tale is now hogwash.
BTW what should be the basis of comparison if you know any; the question is simple, 'can this happen here?'
@ Beaf, the purported resignation of the Northern state lawmaker is from post as a deputy speaker and not from his position in the house.
Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by Angels: 10:50am On Jul 13, 2012
NEVER! Do OR Die...
Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by waja(m): 11:02am On Jul 13, 2012
Dhelake: Oga o! Dem dey Compare Togo with Nigeria ni sha ...
. Which is better?

1 Like

Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by slimming: 11:06am On Jul 13, 2012
since 2008 till now is ok for oluwabi
Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:20am On Jul 13, 2012
gulfer: Save me that high horse statement, the fabled 'Giant of Africa' tale is now hogwash.
BTW what should be the basis of comparison if you know any; the question is simple, 'can this happen here?'
@ Beaf, the purported resignation of the Northern state lawmaker is from post as a deputy speaker and not from his position in the house.

The question is Why the fhuck should it happen here?!

And beafs explanation is Okay!! The PM resigned his position as Prime minister.. The Deputy speaker resigned his position as Deputy Speaker.. Whats your problem?!

Are you aware of any impediment or reason why he should also resign as an Assembly man?! angry

Again, stop with the comparison.. Nigeria is a Sovereign Country.. In Japan, there is a tradition called Seppuku where a person commits suicide as a form of Capital Punishment or to do pennace for a shameful act... and even for honour.. Why dont you also ask if it can happen in Nigeria!!

Inferiority complex come in different forms, check yourselves!!

Nigeria may not be great, but that dont give you the right to talk shit about her at every given chance.. angry
Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by dont8(m): 11:21am On Jul 13, 2012
I support Beaf on this, the buck stops at the president's desk and that post (PM) is ceremonial, let the C in C step-down first, comeback to post it and then start comparing them with Nigeria.
Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by doublej1(m): 11:37am On Jul 13, 2012
Isn't the president the one ceremonial? or is it the prime minister that is ceremonial?

1 Like

Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by gulfer: 11:39am On Jul 13, 2012
Okija_juju:

The question is Why the fhuck should it happen here?!

And beafs explanation is Okay!! The PM resigned his position as Prime minister.. The Deputy speaker resigned his position as Deputy Speaker.. Whats your problem?!

Are you aware of any impediment or reason why he should also resign as an Assembly man?! angry

Again, stop with the comparison.. Nigeria is a Sovereign Country.. In Japan, there is a tradition called Seppuku where a person commits suicide as a form of Capital Punishment or to do pennace for a shameful act... and even for honour.. Why dont you also ask if it can happen in Nigeria!!

Inferiority complex come in different forms, check yourselves!!

Nigeria may not be great, but that dont give you the right to talk shit about her at every given chance.. angry
Comprehension is always a problem for self effacing, and defensive entities. I have only asked if this can happen in Nigeria?
Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:44am On Jul 13, 2012
Nigeria is Nigeria and Togo is Togo, Both countries has different people and different way of life. I cant start wishing to be a togonian because their prime minister resigned.
Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by nikaleyot: 11:46am On Jul 13, 2012
gulfer: Beaf, answer the question, can a politician resign-either under duress or not?
ibrahim babangida stepped aside .so what are U̶̲̥̅̊ talking about
Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by Emperoh(m): 11:49am On Jul 13, 2012
I don't know under what guise you are questioning if this is possible in Nigeria
But from what i know of Togo, this resignation is not pro-democracy.
Most likely, Houngbe has been hounded out office for apparently blocking Monsieur Gnassingbe.
So if this can happen in Nigeria? yes, Obasanjo hounded some ministers to resign during his tenure; (Okonjo Iweala).

So i don't know where this is coming from.

1 Like

Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:55am On Jul 13, 2012
nikaleyot: ibrahim babangida stepped aside .so what are U̶̲̥̅̊ talking about

He is prolly to young to know that
Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by Wislet(f): 11:57am On Jul 13, 2012
@OP.
Do this.....

angry angry

1 Like

Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by gulfer: 12:01pm On Jul 13, 2012
Okija_juju:

He is prolly to young to know that
Then you probably are too old to comprehend what a debate is or what a forum is for. I should spend lesser time trying to teach a Methuselah like you to be less on the defensive and stand outside yourself and critically make conclusions.
Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by Okijajuju1(m): 12:05pm On Jul 13, 2012
gulfer: Then you probably are too old to comprehend what a debate is or what a forum is for. I should spend lesser time trying to teach a Methuselah like you to be less on the defensive and stand outside yourself and critically make conclusions.

It's not a debate if it has happened severally...

Do well to check your facts.. Countless public office holders have resigned their positions at different times in our political history... So it's not a debatable question..

Lol @ Methuselah .. Feels good to be old...
Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by cbaba: 12:06pm On Jul 13, 2012
these one wen thru without the crazy drama we would expect.......1.GEO-DEMOGRAPHICS(TOGO IS LESS POPULATED THAN LAGOS) AND 2.POLITICAL DADDY FRANCAIS(BigBrother ForeverGame
Emperoh: I don't know under what guise you are questioning if this is possible in Nigeria
But from what i know of Togo, this resignation is not pro-democracy.
Most likely, Houngbe has been hounded out office for apparently blocking Monsieur Gnassingbe.
So if this can happen in Nigeria? yes, Obasanjo hounded some ministers to resign during his tenure; (Okonjo Iweala).

So i don't know where this is coming from.
)
Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by doncoozey: 12:08pm On Jul 13, 2012
Instead of 9ja president to resign e go declare state of emergency, 24 hour curfew and put military for street.
Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by gulfer: 12:33pm On Jul 13, 2012
Okija_juju:

It's not a debate if it has happened severally...

Do well to check your facts.. Countless public office holders have resigned their positions at different times in our political history... So it's not a debatable question..

Lol @ Methuselah .. Feels good to be old...
Again, comprehension-ehn! The topic says; 'Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria?' Strange disease to be old.
Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by mrking3(m): 12:36pm On Jul 13, 2012
double j1: Isn't the president the one ceremonial? or is it the prime minister that is ceremonial?
the prime minister is the head of Government. And exercises the executive power of the state. ......the president is more of ceremonial as you rightly opined.
Re: Togo’s PM Resigns : Can This Miracle Happen In Nigeria? by wadoski: 1:00pm On Jul 13, 2012
gulfer: Save me that high horse statement, the fabled 'Giant of Africa' tale is now hogwash.
Instead of asking ‘can this happen here‘ you should ask ‘can/would I do this?‘ you are a Nigerian, stop isolating urself.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Baro River Port: NIWA Urges Immediate Installation Of Cargo Handling Equipment / Anambra PDP Aspirants Hold Panel Members Hostage, Party Suspends Congress / Kwara First Lady, Others Honoured As Ending Gender Based Violence Ambassadors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.