Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,742 members, 7,809,839 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:48 PM

Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better (16775 Views)

Fernando Torres On Loan To AC Milan / Robin Van-Persie Is Off To Manchester United / Fernando Torres Wins Golden Boot At Euro 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by dayokanu(m): 7:54pm On Oct 18, 2009
How world class was Nikopolidis, Marcos(Japan-korea), when their teams won
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by Sauron1: 7:57pm On Oct 18, 2009
dayokanu:

How world class was Nikopolidis, Marcos(Japan-korea), when their teams won

Those 2 were still better than Robinson n Seaman as far as natural ability is concerned.

Portugal won the Q/final game at the world cup because they had a better goalie.
Ricardo's natural ability shone and he saved 2 or 3 penalty shoot-outs while Robinson did not make a single save.
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by dayokanu(m): 8:01pm On Oct 18, 2009
^^ I think that quarter final loss is on the players.

4 penalties and 3 players missed shocked shocked shocked Gerrard, lampard and Carragher. The onlly Bundesliga player scored!!!!

What should a keeper do when 3 of your players cant score from 18 yards without any defender in between
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by Sauron1: 8:13pm On Oct 18, 2009
dayokanu:

^^ I think that quarter final loss is on the players.

4 penalties and 3 players missed shocked shocked shocked Gerrard, lampard and Carragher. The onlly Bundesliga player scored!!!!

What should a keeper do when 3 of your players cant score from 18 yards without any defender in between

Gerrard, Lampard and Carragher missed because Ricardo saved their kicks.
If Robinson had shown the same ability. . . .The scores woulda been 1-1 after the first round of the penalty shoot-out.

Van Der Sar was the difference when United won the UCL in 2008. .Just like Oliver Khan saved Germany and Bayern from similar incidents in the past. In every penalty shoot out incident, the goalie is ALWAYS the hero.
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by chic2pimp(m): 8:16pm On Oct 18, 2009
~Sauron~:

Even a goat knows England have the best set of defenders in the world for the past 6 years.
However, they have no good goalie to compliment the talents they have in the defence and when the goalie is mediocre, defenders don't believe in themselves.  England's problem in tournaments is not because the defenders are shit . . . .It is because they have not been able to produce a world class goalie since Gordon Banks in the 70s
Peter Shilton was worldclass IMO. I also think injury cost england dearly in euro 2004. Nedved was my player of the tournament with Rooney second. Had those players not gotten injured,the finals might as well been Czech Republic vs England
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by dayokanu(m): 8:17pm On Oct 18, 2009
Hugo Vianna and Petit also missed too. 2 penalty missed and English penalty takers couldnt capitalise.

How can you win shootouts when your penalty takers cant score?
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by Sauron1: 8:21pm On Oct 18, 2009
dayokanu:

Hugo Vianna and Petit also missed too. 2 penalty missed and English penalty takers couldnt capitalise.

How can you win shootouts when your penalty takers cant score?

Well, you shouldn't also lose in shoot-outs if your keeper is good at his trade. . . .
Robinson only needed to save one and lift his team-mates. But the poof was just diving where his fickle mind told him to.
No technique, no mind games. He is a disgrace.

chic2pimp:

Peter Shilton was worldclass IMO. I also think injury cost england dearly in euro 2004. Nedved was my player of the tournament with Rooney second. Had those players not gotten injured,the finals might as well been Czech Republic vs England

Shilton is world class? Are you okay?
Do you know the army of world class goalies when Shilton was still active?
Was Shilton better than Walter Zenga? Dassayev? Schumacer? Campos? Higuita?
How old are you, bruv?
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by chic2pimp(m): 8:30pm On Oct 18, 2009
~Sauron~:

Shilton is world class? Are you okay?
Do you know the army of world class goalies when Shilton was still active?
Was Shilton better than Walter Zenga? Dassayev? Schumacer?
How old are you, bruv?
Shilton was worldclass IMO. He was a vital cog during Notts Forest 2 sucessful campaigns in the european cup. Not forgetting he had the great Ray Clemence as his main rival for the England No1 jersey.
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by Sauron1: 8:33pm On Oct 18, 2009
chic2pimp:

Shilton was worldclass IMO. He was a vital cog during Notts Forest sucessful campaigns in the european cup. Not forgetting he had the great Ray Clemence as his main rival for the england No1 jersey.

I doubt u fully grasp the basic concept behind the word "world class".
Very soon you are going to tell us Giovinco and Balotelli are world class players.

Holler @ me when you finish smoking the joint between your fingers.
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by chic2pimp(m): 8:53pm On Oct 18, 2009
~Sauron~:

I doubt u fully grasp the basic concept behind the word "world class".
Very soon you are going to tell us Giovinco and Balotelli are world class players.

Holler @ me when you finish smoking the joint between your fingers.
Well,it seems we both have different definitions of the word 'World Class'

My definition is someone who ranks amongst the foremost in the world or someone with an international standard of excellence.

Whatever way it look @ it, Shilton in his heydays was Definitely Worldclass
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by Sauron1: 8:58pm On Oct 18, 2009
chic2pimp:

Well,it seems we both have different definitions of the word 'World Class'

My definition is someone who ranks amongst the foremost in the world or someone with an international standard of excellence.

Whatever way it look @ it, Shilton in his heydays was Definitely Worldclass

I wasn't far from the truth when i said you don't get the true definition of a "world class player".
A world class player is actually any player that WILL walk into the starting XI of any football team in the world without sentiments.
Will Gerrard play for Barcelona? I doubt he will even find a position in Man Utd. . . .never mind Chelsea or Brazil.
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by dayokanu(m): 8:59pm On Oct 18, 2009
The way people throw the world class thing around is appalling. Like how many world class players are in the world?

In chickenshrims book, Titus Bramble is world class then Zidane, Kahn Maldini and Figo must be Heaven Class!!!
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by chic2pimp(m): 9:09pm On Oct 18, 2009
~Sauron~:

I wasn't far from the truth when i said you don't get the true definition of a "world class player".
A world class player is actually any player that WILL walk into the starting XI of any football team in the world without sentiments.
Will Gerrard play for Barcelona? I doubt he will even find a position in Man Utd. . . .never mind Chelsea or Brazil.
If you go by your definition,Shilton was not world class cuz Zenga was No1 during that period however going by mine,he was worldclass.

dayokanu:

The way people throw the world class thing around is appalling. Like how many world class players are in the world?

In chickenshrims book, Titus Bramble is world class then Zidane, Kahn Maldini and Figo must be Heaven Class!!!
Worldclass is thrown about anyhow but Only a select few are worldclass.

Your analogy is crazy. Bramble vs Maldini is not the same as comparing Zenga to Shilton.
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by tayoccu(m): 11:21am On Oct 19, 2009
@ post
I'm an arsenal fan to the core,
but the truth's gotta be told,
as things are not, El nino's better than RVP
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by allboyz(m): 1:03pm On Oct 19, 2009
Torres is the Best Striker in the World now (ma opinion) and i mean it when playeed as a top 9. skils,vision,acuracy,Heading. . . . his great!

RVP is very good too but not better than F.Torres!
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by ritchboy(m): 1:38pm On Oct 19, 2009
According to Sauron, Gerrard wont start a game for Man Utd & Chelsea. . .

Jesus Christ just had a heart-attack, someome get a medic! grin
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by tayoccu(m): 1:48pm On Oct 19, 2009
and you take sauron seriously

ritchboy:

easy with the blasphemy
angry
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by chic2pimp(m): 1:58pm On Oct 19, 2009
ritchboy:

Did he actually say that? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by Sauron1: 2:31pm On Oct 19, 2009
ritchboy:

Gerrard won't start for Man Utd.
He is technically inept to be midfielder and he cannot play as a supporting striker cos we have Rooney/Berbatov who are even better than him.
His technical ability has been exposed now that Alonso is gone. Everytime he's played in a 2-man midfield, Liverpool have been raped home n away.
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by tayoccu(m): 2:45pm On Oct 19, 2009
~Sauron~:

He is technically inept to be midfielder and he cannot play as a supporting striker cos we have Rooney/Berbatov who are even better than him.
His technical ability has been exposed now that Alonso is gone. Everytime he's played in a 2-man midfield, Liverpool have been raped home n away.

jesus wept cry
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by chic2pimp(m): 2:48pm On Oct 19, 2009
~Sauron~:

I'm sure you meant Tactically Inept. That aside,name the players that would start ahead of Gerrard in the current man united team(when everyone's fit).
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by Sauron1: 2:55pm On Oct 19, 2009
chic2pimp:

I'm sure you meant Tactically Inept. That aside,name the players that would start ahead of Gerrard in the current man united team(when everyone's fit).

He is technically inept.
Gerrard's techniques let him down.
His first touch is the poorest in the 3 Lions and this is why you see him making last ditch hustling whenever he loses the bal

All United's midfielders will start ahead of Gerrard because they are disciplined enough to stay where the manager wants them to be.
Why did Rafa move Gerrard up field to support Torres? Is it not because he lacks the discipline to marshal a 2-man midfield?

Benitez had to switch from 4-4-2 to 4-2-3-1 to accommodate Stevie G and push him further up where should he lose possession, his idiocy will not hurt his defence.
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by ritchboy(m): 3:06pm On Oct 19, 2009
"all united's midfielders will start ahead of gerrard" grin

God just spilled some milk outta his bowl of rice crispies in the waiting room grin grin grin
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by Sauron1: 3:11pm On Oct 19, 2009
ritchboy:

"all united's midfielders will start ahead of gerrard" grin

God just spilled some milk outta his bowl of rice crispies in the waiting room grin grin grin

Lucas starts ahead of Gerrard in the midfield.
Barry and Lampard start ahead of him for the 3 Lions. . . . . .That about sums Stevie G up as a useless midfielder.
He is the one that gets moved about on the pitch because he is a jack of all trade, master of none type of player.
For England, he has played as a left winger, right winger, and as a supporting striker.

No sane manager will use Gerrard in a 2-man midfield in a world cup tournament.
He cannot bench Wayne Rooney for England cos he is not as good as Rooney as a supporting striker so what do we have?
An over-rated piece of shit who made the ranks through media hype.
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by chic2pimp(m): 3:15pm On Oct 19, 2009
~Sauron~:

He is technically inept.
Gerrard's techniques let him down.
His first touch is the poorest in the 3 Lions and this is why you see him making last ditch hustling whenever he loses the bal

All United's midfielders will start ahead of Gerrard because they are disciplined enough to stay where the manager wants them to be.
Why did Rafa move Gerrard up field to support Torres? Is it not because he lacks the discipline to marshal a 2-man midfield?

Benitez had to switch from 4-4-2 to 4-2-3-1 to accommodate Stevie  and push him further up where should he lose possession, his idiocy will not hurt his defence.
Gerrard's terchnique is fine as far as I am concerned. Some of those passes & crosses he delivers are top drawer. Not forgetting some of those technically flawless shots of his.

Let's be honest here,were he @ united,he'll probably be the first name on SAF's team sheet. He will easily start ahead of all the midfielders @ Man united. Btw,I think Stevie G should be praised not blamed for being able to adapt to more than one formation. Benitez switching from the 4-4-2 formation to 4-2-3-1 has nothing to do with the ability of Stevie G rather that's the exact formation he played during his tenure as manager of Valencia.
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by ritchboy(m): 3:32pm On Oct 19, 2009
"lucas starts ahead of gerrard" grin

that statement is so evil, The Devil just had a premature ejaculation grin
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by Sauron1: 3:35pm On Oct 19, 2009
chic2pimp:

Gerrard's terchnique is fine as far as I am concerned. Some of those passes & crosses he delivers are top drawer. Not forgetting some of those technically flawless shots of his.

What is his pass completion?
What was his contribution at the last world cup?

Let's be honest here,were he @ united,he'll probably be the first name on SAF's team sheet. He will easily start ahead of all the midfielders @ Man united. Btw,I think Stevie G should be praised not blamed for being able to adapt to more than one formation. Benitez switching from the 4-4-2 formation to 4-2-3-1 has nothing to do with the ability of Stevie G rather that's the exact formation he played during his tenure as manager of Valencia.

Gerrard will start ahead of Scholes?
U must have a vacuum in your brain cavity. Why is Capello begging Scholesy to come out of his retirement?

Benitez switching to 4-2-3-1 has everything to do with Gerrard.
That effectively placed the control of the midfield in the hands of Alonso and Mascherano.
Leave Stevie G there and Liverpool's defence gets exposed. . . .So humour me, what is Stevie G's position? An attacker or a midfielder? grin grin
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by jalether(m): 3:44pm On Oct 19, 2009
somethings shouldn't even be up for debate, El nino is way better
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by chic2pimp(m): 4:06pm On Oct 19, 2009
~Sauron~:

What is his pass completion?
What was his contribution at the last world cup?

Pretty decent methinks wink.

~Sauron~:

Gerrard will start ahead of Scholes?
U must have a vacuum in your brain cavity. Why is Capello begging Scholesy to come out of his retirement?

Which Scholes? undecided. Abegii jare Gerrard would be Man United's first choice midfielder.

~Sauron~:

Benitez switching to 4-2-3-1 has everything to do with Gerrard.
That effectively placed the control of the midfield in the hands of Alonso and Mascherano.
Leave Stevie G there and Liverpool's defence gets exposed. . . .So humour me, what is Stevie G's position? An attacker or a midfielder? grin grin
Gerrard is a Box to Box Midfielder(capable of attacking & defending).

There surely must be a reason why u keep hating on Gerrard grin grin.
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by Sauron1: 4:11pm On Oct 19, 2009
chic2pimp:

Pretty decent methinks wink.

Decent? I need figures.
Stop replying like you are a football novice.

Which Scholes? undecided. Abegii jare Gerrard would be Man United's first choice midfielder.

He doesn't even play as a midfielder for Benitez. . . .so what are you on about?
Playing as a supporting striker does not make you a midfielder. . . . .U need to dust your soccer acumen, it's rusty.
Liverpool's midfielders are Lucas, Mascherano and Aquilani. . . . .Gerrard is not.

Gerrard is a Box to Box Midfielder(capable of attacking & defending).

Box to box ko, coffin to casket ni.
Little wonder he stayed in Essien's pocket in the UCL Q/finals last season.

There surely must be a reason why u keep hating on Gerrard  grin grin.

I don't hate Gerrard. . . . .I am just saying he is over-rated and gets more than he is worth cos he is a media-boy.
Owen Hargreaves is 50 times better than Gerrard.
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by chic2pimp(m): 4:30pm On Oct 19, 2009
~Sauron~:

Decent? I need figures.
Stop replying like you are a football novice.

I go post when I get time wink grin.

~Sauron~:

He doesn't even play as a midfielder for Benitez. . . .so what are you on about?
Playing as a supporting striker does not make you a midfielder. . . . .U need to dust your soccer acumen, it's rusty.
Liverpool's midfielders are Lucas, Mascherano and Aquilani. . . . .Gerrard is not.

Gerrard plays both roles(midfield & support striker). No undecided

~Sauron~:

Box to box ko, coffin to casket ni
Little wonder he stayed in Essien's pocket in the UCL Q/finals last season.

Kai na so your hate reach? grin grin cheesy. Whether you like it or not Gerrard is Class!!!

~Sauron~:

I don't hate Gerrard. . . . .I am just saying he is over-rated and gets more than he is worth cos he is a media-boy.
Owen Hargreaves is 50 times better than Gerrard.
IMO, Overrated is the wrong word. Overhyped fits the bill better.

Owen Hagreaves is 50 times better than Gerrard grin grin cheesy. Btw,Gerrard is not only the player guilty of being a media boy.
Re: Fernando Torres Vs Robin Van Persie: Who's Better by jalether(m): 4:33pm On Oct 19, 2009
chic2pimp:

Btw,Gerrard is not only the player guilty of being a media boy.

Rooney, ferdinand cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Arsenal Vs Wigan (4 - 1) On 14th May 2013 / Everton Vs Arsenal (0 - 2) ON 19th March 2016 / Burnley Vs Liverpool (0 - 3) On 31st August 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.