Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:45 PM

Are You Afraid Of Death - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are You Afraid Of Death (928 Views)

Is It Sinful To Deny Christ Under Threat Of Death? / Pastor Adeboye Was Afraid To Die On Nigeria Airways Flight / To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You Afraid Of Death by balium(m): 9:42pm On Jul 14, 2012
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

"We are going to die and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place, but will in fact never see the light of day, outnumber the sand grains of Sahara. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA, so massively outnumbers the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds, it is you and I in our ordinariness that are here. We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred." Richard Dawkins
Without bringing faith or religion into this, do you fear the day that your consciousness will fade into non-existence for eternity? Now a lot of people say, in response to this, that it's not like you're going to have time to reflect not existing and that it is akin to falling asleep and not waking up or that period of time from before you were born. A lot of people also say that they would get to the point where they would just tire of life or death would instead be a release from the pains of life. But one of the joys of life is that there is always room and possibility for a positive change.

My fear of death stems more from moving towards death whilst living. The idea that after so many years this vast chasm of nothingness and emptiness, devoid of life or anything, awaits us all. Even when I go to sleep, I expect to wake up in the morning. Along with my fear, I also get a sense of frustration. Life is a beautiful thing. You may not appreciate that in times of depression or hardship or when things just aren't going right, or when you see the horrors of the world, but it is a beautiful thing. The frustration that this will come to an end someday is overwhelming at times for me. It's also the concept of infinite or forever or eternity, the idea that we won't be dead for a few years, or a million years, or a billion years but forever. We will never be able to think, laugh or be conscious ever. Once we're gone, we're gone. It's an eternal numbness. Now it's a pretty hard thing to wrap your head around and it seems trivial now that I've put it into words but when you really think about it, does anyone else feeling this overwhelming sadness or frustration or even fear?

I've also found that these thoughts concerning my own mortality seem to only come at night. Perhaps that is due to there being less distractions at night and a heightened sense of loneliness because when I reflect on this during the day, I pass it off as a fairly trivial thought and say 'enjoy what I have'. However, it becomes something of the utmost importance and frustration at night. Hence me posting this thread at this time to get thoughts from others.

I guess in the end, dying itself doesn't scare me as when it happens, I won't know that it's happened but the conscious idea that I juggle day to day of going into a state of non-existence for an eternity having lived life does scare me to my core. The "concept" of an inevitable and eternal end... I can't fathom not existing, I want to be able to feel and think, be conscious. And living for so many years and being dead for an infinite length of time, it's both terrifying and depressing.

How do you feel about death? Or perhaps the passing itself and if it will be painful? Or is it just the thought of trying to comprehend an eternity of non-existence?
Re: Are You Afraid Of Death by benodic: 7:20pm On Jul 15, 2012
there is no death. just translation. a change in state of consciousness
you are already undergoing minor translations every time you sleep, every time you day dream, every time you are in very deep thought, your consciousness shifts from the physical into the other realms which you may not be fully aware now.

what you call death, is just a permanent translation of your consciousness into the another realm that is no longer physical. you will simply find that life continues naturally without any break or interruptions. oh how sweet life really is and will become when you realize that you are simply soul, immortal and deathless.
Re: Are You Afraid Of Death by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jul 15, 2012
who shouldnt fear death, its a natural feeling. death is what it is
Re: Are You Afraid Of Death by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jul 16, 2012
benodic:
you are already undergoing minor translations every time you sleep, every time you day dream, every time you are in very deep thought, your consciousness shifts from the physical into the other realms which you may not be fully aware now.

what you call death, is just a permanent translation of your consciousness into the another realm that is no longer physical. you will simply find that life continues naturally without any break or interruptions. oh how sweet life really is and will become when you realize that you are simply soul, immortal and deathless.

WELL SAID. ALL TRUE.
Re: Are You Afraid Of Death by maymurph(m): 6:05pm On Jul 18, 2012
benodic:

hello benodic,i sent a message via nairaland,my email is maymurph@yahoo.com.Will like your insight into a particular aspect of my spiritual growth.Pls contact me.Tks smiley
Re: Are You Afraid Of Death by nyameke: 12:34am On Jul 19, 2012
There is nothing to fear about physical death. Physical death is an illusion because we are all spirits having a human experience. Spirits do not " die". When its time to move on your spirit disengage from your physical body and moves on to other realms until judgement

What you should be afraid of though is spiritual death after judgement because that death is eternal

(1) (Reply)

666 / Hilary: On The Trinity. / Anony And Deep Sight; Defend Your Position On The Existence Of Numbers!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.