Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,976 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:55 AM

Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos (16246 Views)

How To Scare Nigerians In The US (picture) / The Man Who Caused A Scare At The Lagos Airport Today Pictured / Terrorist Scare At The Lagos Airport Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jul 15, 2012
Hold on. . . .
I thought Harold Demuren was suspended. . .albeit contentious
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by question(m): 12:47pm On Jul 15, 2012
Near miss hear and there... All due to human error.
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jul 15, 2012
كلورين: Seems people don't need to go to pilot school to fly planes anymore.
Thank God nobody was hurt.

Boko Haram alert! Take that username to the middle East pls.
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by sosodevf(m): 12:57pm On Jul 15, 2012
manosteel: Thank God I no dey fly Arik.
What re u flying ni? DANA...! LoL..!
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by MrGlobe(m): 12:59pm On Jul 15, 2012
manosteel: Thank God I no dey fly Arik.
which one you dey fly. I thought they said arik is the best.
why must these stories of aviation carelessness continue in Nigeria even after the recent crash
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by Martini101(m): 1:07pm On Jul 15, 2012
Plane 4rm Enugu to Abuja? Is Enugu Airport nt closed 4 rehabilitation? Na wa oh
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by donblacky(m): 1:17pm On Jul 15, 2012
BAMMZ:
i realy pity you! Do u know that in USA/europe the fear is not just of plane crashing but also of terrorist hijacking the plane. Please remember 911. Always read Psalms,SURAT/AYAT + IFA incantations when u get there. Safe.

Lolz.....all plus all
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by tegule: 1:24pm On Jul 15, 2012
chiover: dis conri stinkz.am hapi my visa to usa is almost ready, imagine a trailer driver flying plane lipsrsealed
. Ode!andrew go to d USA nah!soilder go,e com barrack stand!how doz Your presence aid dis nation?#hiss#.GOD BLESS 9JA!
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jul 15, 2012
Martini101: Plane 4rm Enugu to Abuja? Is Enugu Airport nt closed 4 rehabilitation? Na wa oh
Jst my tot,d last time i checkd Enugu airport ws shut dwn for maintenance and upgrade.
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by manny4life(m): 2:01pm On Jul 15, 2012
Nigerian writers, they need to quit scaring folks.

1. Taxi accidents do often happen at least in heavy traffic airports; if the Arik aircraft was on the taxi way and obviously the Air force Aircraft was parked, the Air Force aircraft would have been parked wrongly. I do not see how a taxing aircraft will bump into the wing of another aircraft if 1)ground had separated the two aircraft very well, and 2) if the aircraft was parked very well.

2. It's just outrageous for journalist to claim that turbulence causes runway skid. Do they even know what a skid is? undecided undecided undecided

Can you imagine? Almost skidded off the runway? For crying out loud, Arik is using Boeing's newest 737 model equipped with anti skid, brake locking system. How will they know if they "almost skidded off" when the airplane was intact and disembarked people? Isn't it obvious they had to wait 30mins to disembark passengers because don't have a Jetway attached? This is a situation of poor journalism
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by deshysmalls(m): 2:07pm On Jul 15, 2012
كلورين: Seems people don't need to go to pilot school to fly planes anymore.
Thank God nobody was hurut.

Shey na pilot school dem dey go? Little wonder why you comment lack merit
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by espn(m): 2:14pm On Jul 15, 2012
991: tb joshua didnt see those once coming? our spider-man is losing his powers i think!
lmfao
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by funkei: 2:18pm On Jul 15, 2012
“There was no casualty recorded during the incident; however, the two aircraft had to abort their missions.
This happened hours after another Arik plane in Jos brushed the wing of a parked Nigeria Air Force plane, causing substantial damage to the two aircraft
Notice the (s) missing from Aircraft(s)..daft journalists.

Very harsh to describe the journalist as daft(silly)even if it were a grammatical blunder. Let us be less critical and allow a modicum of politeness to guide our opinion or judgement, particularly against a background that such a submission may be wrong or subjective
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by Captwahala(m): 2:37pm On Jul 15, 2012
Wingtip collisions are very common in Nigeria. This is mainly due to the laziness and incompetence of FAAN marshallers (the guys who wave the plane into the parking stands). Many time they will park aircraft in stands that are too small. e.g gate 32 in Lagos is designed for medium boeing 737 size aircraft, but they routinely park Airbus 330/340/Boeing 777 (heavy) aircraft there. Pilots are required to follow certain yellow lines to assure adequate clearance from obstacles but in this case if the pilots dont deviate there will be a collision.
Many popular airports such as Benin and Calabar can onlu handle 3 or four aircraft. But I have seen up to 15 aircraft parked there. This usually happens when the city is hosting large numbers of VIPs (e.g. Governor's mother burial, presidential visit, etc)
As for aircraft skidding off the runway, I am yet to get the details of this particulaer incident. but The Abuja runway has been shortened due to maintenance work over the last few months. There have been many incidents of aircraft overshooting into the area closed for maintenance. This is with airlines with very high operating standards (BA, Ethipian, Lufthansa, etc). The end of the runway was not marked prominently and this might have contributed these incidents. These incidents above all happened in dry conditions, the alleged Arik Air incident occured in wet conditions which would have been a disadvantage for the Arik Air pilots.
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by nitrogen(m): 3:02pm On Jul 15, 2012
It seems boko haram members are now piloting our airplanes.
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by elimokhai(m): 3:17pm On Jul 15, 2012
Always use your dictionary whenever you have problems with English language. It helps. Plural of "aircraft" is aircraft. and calling journalists daft is uncalled for, even in Britain, English language is still taught, so what's the BIG deal.

A country that is being govern by retards. The Minister of Aviation should be fired immediately, pilots don't just jump into the cockpit to fly airplanes. They get cleared during takeoff and landing from the air traffic control (ATC). Tired of sad news
chaircover:

The pleural of aircraft is aircraft, so the journalists were right

Back to topic, not until company owners/employees are made to face charges, they will continue to put lives at risk
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by elimokhai(m): 3:20pm On Jul 15, 2012
Always use your dictionary whenever you have problems with English language. It helps. Plural of "aircraft" is aircraft. and calling journalists daft is uncalled for, even in Britain, English language is still taught, so what's the BIG deal.

A country that is being govern by retards. The Minister of Aviation should be fired immediately, pilots don't just jump into the cockpit to fly airplanes. They get cleared during takeoff and landing from the air traffic control (ATC). Tired of sad news
sexyTi: “There was no casualty recorded during the incident; however, the two aircraft had to abort their missions.
This happened hours after another Arik plane in Jos brushed the wing of a parked Nigeria Air Force plane, causing substantial damage to the two aircraft
Notice the (s) missing from Aircraft(s)..daft journalists
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by abuhabib(m): 3:41pm On Jul 15, 2012
may God save this country from other mishaps again.
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by tunapawizzy: 3:58pm On Jul 15, 2012
sexyTi: “There was no casualty recorded during the incident; however, the two aircraft had to abort their missions.
so reading through d story d only thing dat got ur attention was d writer's error which unfortuantely for u turns out to highlight ur ignorance. Na wa 4 u o
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by chucky234(m): 3:58pm On Jul 15, 2012
sandee575: Nigerian news reports on airplanes are laughable. This writer claimed at the begining that the Arik plane had skidded off the runway due turbulence and at the end of the report that it almost skidded off the runway. Reporters unashamedly display so much ignorance putting up their stories and misinforming the public in their senseless pursuit of sensational journalism. Hardly can turbulence be blamed for an airplane overruning the runway.No pilot will deliberately put his life and others at risk. The issue of weather deals with the unpredictable aspect of nature otherwise the tsunamis and the hurricanes of the world wouldnt catch people unawares in spite of the technology at their disposal especially in those parts of the world.
My guess is that the pilot initially delayed departure out of Enugu due the Abuja weather conditions made available to him and upon receiving another report stating a marked improvement set out on the journey only to arrive at Abuja such a time that the weather had deteriorated again but just good enough to make a landing.
Seem you were reading my mind,well said bro...
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by chucky234(m): 4:07pm On Jul 15, 2012
Who be this azonto dancing mumu nah,I pity your parents for wasting their hard earned money on your education. Must every word have (s) added to their plural form,maybe you were not taught in primary school that the plural of sheep is sheep,aircraft is aircraft and so on
See how mumu dey make you display your foolishness for public,shame.
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jul 15, 2012
My advice is that Nigerians should stop flying during this rainy season. Even our meteorological institute gives wrong weather report.
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by feekman(m): 5:20pm On Jul 15, 2012
Efu ra oooooooo
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by Adeemman: 7:29pm On Jul 15, 2012
A living corpse is bak to life.
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by Krucifax(m): 7:31pm On Jul 15, 2012
Re:Bad Weather Pilot.

Nobody here has all the facts! Even if you were on the plane you were not privy to the conversation between the Arik pilot and control tower. The article is quite sensationalist looking to pin the blame on the pilot.

Before a flight can be cancelled because of bad weather the pilot must have relayed the information and got the green light to either cancel or take off.Granted the "Captain" of the plane has discretion to cancel but this is normally in the event of mechanical problems which only him and his co-pilot can attest to!
All a pilot is,is an employee of a transport business paid to move people from one point to the next. He was only doing his job,i'm not advocating reckless behaviour but if he was rushing to avoid the bad weather does that not show some foresight on his part? Abi make him wait till the weather spoil before him take off?? Na wah ooo!!!
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by 3kay945(m): 10:39pm On Jul 15, 2012
chaircover:

The pleural of aircraft is aircraft, so the journalists were right

Back to topic, not until company owners/employees are made to face charges, they will continue to put lives at risk
bros, why you fall the guy hand now grin grin
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by 3kay945(m): 10:46pm On Jul 15, 2012
chucky234: Who be this azonto dancing mumu nah,I pity your parents for wasting their hard earned money on your education. Must every word have (s) added to their plural form,maybe you were not taught in primary school that the plural of sheep is sheep,aircraft is aircraft and so on
See how mumu dey make you display your foolishness for public,shame.
take it easy bro, this hasn't call for insults yet, the dude got it mixed up.
Re: Two Arik Planes In Crash Scare In Abuja & Jos by DECOtech(m): 7:44am On Jul 16, 2012
grin
hisblud: Was planning on flying arik to calabar for a computer conference and was trying to book in advance thinking they are better than the rest but wit this i may change my mind.
n fly with which airline?
Flying with the broom will be an excellent choice. Our forefathers started this flying business n there was no record of broom crashes until these western folks came in.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Abuja Airport’s Runway To Undergo Another 18-week Upgrade - PUNCH / Police Is Your Friend - Share Your Experience Around The Globe. / I Have Never Been To An Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.