Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,102 members, 7,818,294 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:08 PM

Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame (1629 Views)

Where Are All The Tribalists? / Boko Haram, MEND And Igbo Tribalists On NL Are CIA Agents Doing Covert Ops. / Are You All Not Tribalists? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by faithin9ja: 1:39pm On Jul 15, 2012
once again Bini people have proven contrary to popular belief that they are above tribalism. They have voted again for a man who is not Bini against their own son.

when will other states and Nigeria be able to do this?

Middle belt states, Adamawa state, Lagos state, etc voted for GEJ & PDP in presidential election yet CPC and Buhari supporters accuse them of 'rigging'.

did Buhari really think Lagos voted for him?

My bet; come presidential election Edo state will vote for PDP, to my mind that how elections should be, not following one party blindly

1 Like

Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by ULSHERLAN(m): 1:50pm On Jul 15, 2012
Ok
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by Afanna1: 2:01pm On Jul 15, 2012
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by faithin9ja: 2:12pm On Jul 15, 2012
#Afanna:

and your question is?
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by Afanna1: 2:36pm On Jul 15, 2012
The Gov won all the 18 LG ,binis have just 7 Lg . All every ethnic group live in benin city including the Itsekiri and the ijaws . ....... lol seriously edo is too small for you to be making it about tribe...you guys all the same... grin grin undecided

Don,t let the celebration get to your head....nairaland tribalist don,t give a care.. lipsrsealed

silly post .. embarassed
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by faithin9ja: 2:45pm On Jul 15, 2012
#Afanna:
The Gov won all the 18 LG ,binis have just 7 Lg . All every ethnic group live in benin city including the Itsekiri and the ijaws . ....... lol seriously edo is too small for you to be making it about tribe...you guys all the same... grin grin undecided

Don,t let the celebration get to your head....nairaland tribalist don,t give a care.. lipsrsealed

silly post .. embarassed

You obviously don't get my post. Bini have the highest population in Edo State, yet they decided to vote for a non-Bini man, despite having a Bini man as a candidate, in the 1979 the Bini voted for Ambrose Alli also a non Bini. To my mind I commend Bini for taking this stand. If only more tribes in Nigeria took this stance

1 Like

Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by koruji(m): 2:53pm On Jul 15, 2012
Even if PDP is killing Nigeria fast - that's how an election is supposed to be?

That is not how an election is supposed to be - an election is supposed to be able accomplishments, vision and ability. All of which PDP is lacking.

faithin9ja: once again Bini people have proven contrary to popular belief that they are above tribalism. They have voted again for a man who is not Bini against their own son.

when will other states and Nigeria be able to do this?

Middle belt states, Adamawa state, Lagos state, etc voted for GEJ & PDP in presidential election yet CPC and Buhari supporters accuse them of 'rigging'.

did Buhari really think Lagos voted for him?

My bet; come presidential election Edo state will vote for PDP, to my mind that how elections should be, not following one party blindly
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by Afanna1: 2:59pm On Jul 15, 2012
faithin9ja:

You obviously don't get my post. [s]Bini have the highest population in Edo State[/s], yet they decided to vote for a non-Bini man, despite having a Bini man as a candidate, in the 1979 the Bini voted for Ambrose Alli also a non Bini. To my mind I commend Bini for taking this stand. If only more tribes in Nigeria took this stance

Edo is too small ... benin city is where all tribe live.
Bini have the highest population outside nigeria yeah.. grin grin
the ijaws and Itsekiri live in edo south expecially in a places like ologba,gele gele etc

Igbanke people live in edo south,no they are not binis..
naija self everybody claim glory.. grin

Thank the Gov won,Edo state will never be the same ..
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by BlackPikiN(m): 3:08pm On Jul 15, 2012
^^^Afanna, I wan believe say you dey use another name for Nairaland.

You dey come like ghost.
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by faithin9ja: 3:17pm On Jul 15, 2012
#Afanna:

Edo is too small ... benin city is where all tribe live.
Bini have the highest population outside nigeria yeah.. grin grin
the ijaws and Itsekiri live in edo south expecially in a places like ologba,gele gele etc

Igbanke people live in edo south,no they are not binis..
naija self everybody claim glory.. grin

Thank the Gov won,Edo state will never be the same ..

what is your point? that Bini's did NOT vote for Oshimole?
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jul 15, 2012
Are the people living in Edo not the same Edoid people?? grin

The OP needs some fresh air..

They're all the same people...

It's just like saying the Ijebus and Egbas have put tribalism to shame in Lagos by voting for an Awori man.. undecided

Stupid thread!!!
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by faithin9ja: 6:10pm On Jul 15, 2012
shymmex: Are the people living in Edo not the same Edoid people?? grin

The OP needs some fresh air..

It's just like saying the Ijebus and Egbas have put tribalism to shame in Lagos by voting for an Awori man.. undecided

Stupid thread!!!

Mr Shymex stop showing your ignorance, Edo state is comprised of many ethnic groups - Egba & Ijebu as far as I am aware are Yoruba, Auchi & Bini are totally different ethnic groups, different language, different culture. In Edo state you have Afemai, Owan, Ishan (Esan), Bini (Edo) before you add a few Ijaws and even Itsekeri, this is not a full list.

The indigenous people of Benin City are the Bini's also called Edo. Oshiomole as far as I am aware is an Afemai, from Auchi yet he has won an election in Benin City where he comprehensively defeated the son of the soil, Charles Airhiavbere who is a Bini man.

this victory is similar to an Egba man in Abeokuta being defeated by somebody from Edo state
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by ektbear: 3:34am On Jul 16, 2012
lol
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by PhysicsQED(m): 3:53am On Jul 16, 2012
faithin9ja: They have voted again for a man who is not Bini against their own son.

If the Bini PDP candidate had actually been a formidable political opponent, with past achievements behind him like Oshiomhole's and a popular name, then this election would actually be a good example of a group opting for accomplished people from other groups over your own. But since Oshiomhole's opponent was who he was, I don't think it's really relevant as an anti-tribalism example.
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by bokohalal(m): 4:38am On Jul 16, 2012
I understand what the OP is saying. @ PhysicsQED,the last presidential election destroys your argument.And,erm,oshiomole is an Edoman in whom the Binis are more than well pleased.
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by PhysicsQED(m): 4:46am On Jul 16, 2012
Well, all I'm saying is that it's not like Oshiomhole's opponent was really very popular prior to the election. That's my opinion, though I see how others might see it differently and agree with the OP.
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by Beaf: 7:54am On Jul 16, 2012
Congrats to Edo states, congrats to Oshiomole!

So far in Nigeria, the only states where minorities have won elections are in the SS. It says a lot. cool
There are 5 minority states in the SS, of the 5, 3 are run by governors from ethnic minorities:

1. Akwa Ibom (Akpabio)
2. Delta (Uduaghan)
3. Edo (Oshiomole)

The rest of Nigeria has a lot to learn from the sophistication and maturity of the SS.
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by faithin9ja: 8:21am On Jul 16, 2012
PhysicsQED:

If the Bini PDP candidate had actually been a formidable political opponent, with past achievements behind him like Oshiomhole's and a popular name, then this election would actually be a good example of a group opting for accomplished people from other groups over your own. But since Oshiomhole's opponent was who he was, I don't think it's really relevant as an anti-tribalism example.

My friend this is a classic case where tribalism did not matter, if the Bini people were full of tribal sentiment they would have voted a 'goat' as long as he was a 'son of the soil' and never let an outsider near government house. But the Bini people were wise and savvy enough to vote for the better candidate regardless of where he is from.

Most people answering this thread have no idea of differences in tribes or ethnic groups outside their own states (imagine somebody using the term 'Edoid') smh
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by ektbear: 8:39am On Jul 16, 2012
Eh.

It would be moronic for Bini people to be tribalistic in this matter. They are not an absolute majority in Edo State.

if you do that, then people will likely unite against you.

I don't know why you are celebrating this. They behaved rationally, not in some especially altruistic manner.
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by ektbear: 8:40am On Jul 16, 2012
And Edoid is a legitimate linguistic term....
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by faithin9ja: 8:50am On Jul 16, 2012
ekt_bear: Eh.

It would be moronic for Bini people to be tribalistic in this matter. They are not an absolute majority in Edo State.

if you do that, then people will likely unite against you.

I don't know why you are celebrating this. They behaved rationally, not in some especially altruistic manner.

Of course they behaved rationally, hence I am praising them, unlike the tribalistic elements on this forum and other parts of Nigeria. Being tribalistic is by its nature an irrational way to take many decisions. Just to presume that because somebody is from your village he or she is going to be a good leader is irrational.

the term 'Edoid' is used wrongly, it presumes an Auchi man, Bini man and Ofosu man are the same because they come from the same state. That's like saying Ijaw and Isoko are the same because they are from Delta state.
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by Beaf: 8:53am On Jul 16, 2012
^
Many people do not understand much outside much outside their little spheres of existence. The term "Edoid" is being grossly abused on this thread.
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by ektbear: 8:56am On Jul 16, 2012
Behaving tribally is not always irrational. It depends on the context.

Moreover, how on earth can you praise someone for being rational?

Should someone praise you for not sticking your hand into a fire? grin grin grin

"Well done bros, good job, you did not burn off your hand today"
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by ektbear: 9:00am On Jul 16, 2012
Who said they are the same? How does using the term "Edoid" assume that they are the same?

Lol. You'd even have a better argument if someone had simply said Edo. But by using that word specifically, one is only saying that there is some degree of similarity.

Which is 100% accurate..
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by faithin9ja: 9:07am On Jul 16, 2012
ekt_bear: Behaving tribally is not always irrational. It depends on the context.

Moreover, how on earth can you praise someone for being rational?

Should someone praise you for not sticking your hand into a fire? grin grin grin

"Well done bros, good job, you did not burn off your hand today"

Te reason I am 'praising' Bini people ( I am not Bini, for the record, is that in the normal course of events in societies like Nigeria, the default is to be tribalisitic in matters such as this. Especially by the chattering classees on forums such as this.

To use your analogy Nigerians have for the past 50 years been putting their hands in fire because the tribal and ethnic issues.
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by ektbear: 9:07am On Jul 16, 2012
I will congratulate myself tomorrow for not cutting off my leg.

Can someone please make a thread celebrating me tomorrow for this worthy accomplishment? grin
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by ektbear: 9:09am On Jul 16, 2012
Meh

I don't care whether you are Bini or not.

I just object to simplistic, useless analysis like this.

OK. So you seem to believe that:

1) much of Nigeria's problems are due to tribalism
2) This tribalism is irrational, and has been irrational every single time it was done? I.e., the tribalistic group did not benefit in any way, shape or form from their actions, yes?
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by faithin9ja: 9:10am On Jul 16, 2012
ekt_bear: Who said they are the same? How does using the term "Edoid" assume that they are the same?

Lol. You'd even have a better argument if someone had simply said Edo. But by using that word specifically, one is only saying that there is some degree of similarity.

Which is 100% accurate..

People on this thread were using the term Edoid to suggest that voting in Benin City for an Auchi man was to be expected as they were all the same 'Edoid' people, which anyone who understands Bini culture will realize this is a total fallacy
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by ektbear: 9:14am On Jul 16, 2012
Actually, upon rereading the first post mentioning of the word:

shymmex:

OK, he went too far, definitely. And I certainly don't endorse the bolded text.
Re: Bini People Have Put Nairaland Tribalists To Shame by faithin9ja: 9:27am On Jul 16, 2012
@Ekt Bear, I am glad you see my point and the context in which I phrased the topic.

Of course sometimes it's necessary to give your 'brother' a lift up or put your 'brother' in charge of your affairs.
Also the perception of Bini people (rightly or wrongly) is one of being wicked and very xenophobic (hence one of the reasons for the need for a Delta State.
Perceived wisdom would be that the Oba's Palace would lend it's support for a full blood Bini man before anyone from even Esan let alone Afemai.

But the political landscape in Benin City (and as such Edo State) has changed remarkably over the last few years, their own son of the soil, Lucky Igbinedion, let them down badly hence a massive shift to ACN from PDP.

I know I have simplified the reasons, but the result is the average Bini market woman, Bini Chief, Bini transporter decided to vote for an Auchi man rather than retired Bini general

(1) (Reply)

Premium Times, Dishonest Times / Chief Dr. Ifeanyi Ubah, Governor, Anambra 2014. / Archbishop Okogie To Jonathan - "Do Not Run For Presidency In 2015"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.