Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,815 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:53 PM

Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? (3046 Views)

Why Engineering Is Different From Other Professions / 8 Professions That Makes It Hard For Ladies To Get Husband / Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by babybee1(f): 3:01pm On Apr 05, 2006
Who Said Engineering Is Not A Ladies Line?

hey y'all,
am an engineering student to be precise, am studying electronics engineering,,,
and i have been hearing a lot about engineering not been a ladies line, men only, which i don't buy.
so far i have been enjoying the course, though its not easy, "notin good comes easy", and if it were to be an easy pissy thing, u wuld find every cat and dog on the street going for it,

want to know what u think, [color=#770077][/color]
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by Zahymaka(m): 4:08pm On Apr 05, 2006
That's one thing I love seeing -- ladies making it in "men-only" circles. I always wonder why women don't get more active in the IT industry. Probably because they're scared of writing code. Keep it up lady.
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by gigitte(f): 8:44am On Apr 06, 2006
im going to be a chemical engineer

ladies stand up and represent!!!!!!!!!!

babes, i feel you, the thing dey hard, but we will prevail, as for those people, ignore them and strike them off your list of eligible bachelors
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by otokx(m): 11:46am On Apr 06, 2006
not me; i have come across some female engineers in my line of business and i must say i pity them. Why? because it aint easy; the other day one came to work on our site and i had to climb the telecoms mast so save her ass; she was content to read the signal level of the equipment. The other guys were just cursing - "i asked for an engineer and they sent me a chick, do they think I am still single and searching?"
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by shaddy(f): 4:48pm On Apr 06, 2006
i agree with baby bee.We also need to inform ladies to study engineering.Some think is only for men but some ladies are very good in Engineering aspect.i am doing Chemical Engineering and am enjoying it as well.
Is there any ladies in the house studying Engineering?
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by gigitte(f): 5:49pm On Apr 06, 2006
@otokx i feel you, which is why male engineers must not be allowed to die out lol
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by glamour(f): 6:53pm On Apr 06, 2006
Is there any ladies in the house studying Engineering?

am studying petroleum engineering, i like it but its not easy
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by somebody(f): 7:57pm On Apr 06, 2006
I am an electronic engineering graduate. Was the only girl in my class. Only two people made a 2.1(no firsts) and i was one of them. What can I say, girls rule!!!
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by Ka: 8:15pm On Apr 06, 2006
I'd like to believe that the reason women weren't more involved in engineering and science disciplines was purely down to sociological reasons, but I don't think biological factors can be completely ruled out. I mean, how is it that in most human societies, men and women tend to gravitate to the same sorts of role - men doing the more physical and mechanical stuff and women doing the more social and human stuff?
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by glamour(f): 8:56pm On Apr 06, 2006
I am an electronic engineering graduate. Was the only girl in my class. Only two people made a 2.1(no firsts) and i was one of them. What can I say, girls rule!!!

SOMEBODY, THATS REALLY GREAT. KEEP IT UP
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 9:26pm On Apr 06, 2006
I like to c female mechanics. It just turns me on grin grin grin
a women who knows how to use tools
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by Idekeson(m): 9:37pm On Apr 06, 2006
A woman in a greasy pair of overalls is a sure turn-on.
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by Zahymaka(m): 11:45pm On Apr 06, 2006
You got that right Idekeson -- as well as a woman with bulging well-muscled arms.
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by mikun(f): 8:36am On Apr 07, 2006
I started with Mechanical Engineering in Nigeria, then came over to UK for a first degree in Computer Aided Engineering , currently a Network Infrastructure Engr.
I have not had any problems, except if I have to lift servers, rack stuffs etc, then I have to call the guys and I hate doing that.
Also whenever I am pregnant I am confined to desk duties.
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by Nobody: 8:03pm On Apr 07, 2006
this one the things i am most proud of my first degree was in elec/elec eng. and my masters now in petroleum eng. it's a struggle but i love what i am doing
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by IAH(f): 3:33pm On Apr 08, 2006
I'm also studying Chemical Engineering, it's cool you know. Another thing is that you have more hmmmmmm toasters wink. In a class where the ratio of boys to girls is like 15:1, what do you expect? cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 7:54pm On Apr 08, 2006
my brother wants to study chemical engineering, how is de course like IAH?
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by kimba(m): 10:59pm On Apr 08, 2006
for the ladies,

i think/heard there is some group about lady engineers in Nigeria, i don't know if theyve got a website or something, if i find out info, ill post. Ghana has a large and active group and they hold yearly conferences etc, and many Nigerians are part too, its West Africa wide,

@josboy4Lif
I like to c female mechanics. It just turns me on   
a women who knows how to use tools
Youre not alone in that department

@ladies

The truth first and formost: -the reason why females don't go into engineering/perhaps they are not many in Africa and Nigeria most especially is because generally, females are seen as the weaker sex, but worse, they see themselves as weak which now makes things worse. I think you ladies should try change that image.

Second: such a bad-perspective as i described above will change when Africa, or lets start with Nigeria attracts foriegn investors to come into the country and assemble real-time electronic components. I'm not talking about the ones they do at Ikeja, or all these computer companies that assemble PCs. But honestly, Why shoudnt a lady be employed to be repairing computers?

[b]an example:[/b]I'm from China. In Asia, go to tech-companies like Motorola, Mitsubishi, Fujitsu etc, where electronic components are assembled, designed and manufactured, you'll be surprised, its all women on the assembly line, as test engineers, supervisors, component/device engineers etc, so there a whole lot of women are encouraged to go into engineering because the opportunities are available. Unlike in Nigeria where you might find a handful females in engineering, a whole lot of my classmates in school were girls. Now, still maintaining contacts with them, let me say if im keeping contacts with 100 of them 90 are still in the industry, married with kids and in active-engineering positions. I'm not talking of sitting in the office receiving calls, im talking of field engineering. Besides, in Nija here, all we do like scratching the surface of eggs, we dont really dig-deep-into the nitty-gritty core-engineering, so even the male engineers fare no better.

anyway, keep it up girls.
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by shaddy(f): 8:13am On Apr 09, 2006
dats a nice one kimba and if you find out about the websites of ladies inEngineering in Nigeria.kindly post it.
We ladies dat are doing engineering should try and encourage others.Some ladies think is not good for them but some gurls
do have potentials to study Engineering but they never think is for ladies.i am trying to go 2 colleges and inform ladies about Engineering, the job prospect of it and since am part of a society here in Uk thats wat am trying to do and and to the ladies in the Engineering Department .keep it up Gurls.
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by Ratio: 10:06pm On Apr 09, 2006
For a lady to be an engineer is a pride for the family and even for the society.I also am an engineer, I study electrical electonics in
school. I just want to say we lady we should keep it up.
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by Hotstepper(f): 3:39am On Apr 10, 2006
to bad am not the science type tongue but da rest of da family are engineers including our one and only first daugther that opened the door for others and challenged that notion of engineering being for guys only tongue
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by dominobaby(f): 11:17pm On Apr 19, 2006
*where has this thread been?*
female engineer here! Am actually studying Elect/Elect n i am loving everybit of it. It is quite challenging n u get a lot of comments like 'u r a strong woman o', 'u r hot', cos u dont find many females there. In my class, we r just 6 females, n thats even much cos in civil they've only got 2 females n in mech, NONE, at my level. If i were to count the females in the 7 eng. depts of my fac., from 100-500 level, we r nt up to 60!
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by babybee1(f): 3:01pm On Apr 20, 2006
hey every one, so happy to hear from you guys,  woz suprise to come online and see lots of responce to my topic
lots of love,  thanks very much for your messages, many were encouraging,  and i believe there are lots of strong women out there doin this,
hoping to hear from y'all soon smiley
love u.
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by uzygirl(f): 1:03pm On May 01, 2006
I studied Environmental Engineering Technology, and not only topped the class, but won awards for best female graduand in my school. I still feel good beating all those guys in my department.
I'm exicted when i see girls who make it in a man's world. I'm not of the opinion that "what men can do womwen can do better", i would say that what a man can do, we ladies do with more style".
More grease to your elbows girls cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by pfowighz(m): 5:11pm On May 30, 2006
*Nice Formum*

First, I think that females themselves dont take themselves "worthy" to be engineers; they kinda have the wrong perception of Engineering as an "un-sexy" career path. This is aggravated by their parents.

Second, most (and I hate to admit it) females are not particularly good in MATH and science (frankly) which are a sine qua non for Engineering/IT studies.

BUT in my sec schl for instance, a girl lead the class in the WASSCE (and I've sworn never to let that happen again, lol wink). Also, those females that have the required qualities tend to perform over-excellently well.

AND it really bites me to see that in my dept Elect/Elect (which usually has the highest f/m ratio) we just have, what, 2-3 females!!! We in Engineering are really suffering.

SO I say, if u are good in sci and math and are interested in a stimulating, challenging, and highly rewarding career in industry or business with great income possibility (and u are a female!), then, PLEASE dont go for medicine, law, etc (they dont even pay up to half of what entry-level engineers get, anyways) try out the one and only ENGINEERING.

Thanks for listening (watching!?).
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by dominobaby(f): 5:22pm On May 31, 2006
@ pfowighz U r welcome, *for reading*
n how in da world do u pronounce ur username? Neways welcum to nairaland!!!
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by pfowighz(m): 4:36pm On Jun 01, 2006
Well, for the name, just takes a lil bit o creativity,

And, THANKS!, hope its worth my while! smiley
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by dominobaby(f): 10:42pm On Jun 02, 2006
@pfo, it sure is gonna b worth ur while. enjoy!
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by Badman888(m): 5:06am On Jun 03, 2006
engineering not for women that crazy my sis is an engineer and many of her friends are, the world we live in today has changed.
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by shaddy(f): 12:17pm On Jun 03, 2006
@ Badman888
Nobody said Engineering is not for ladies but people thinks anything called Engineering is for male alone which we ladies want to prove that is not for guys alone but for ladies as well and thanks to the baby bee  that start this forum.
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by DivineOke(f): 10:07pm On Jun 07, 2006
As they say, wotever a man can do a woman can do better.I read electrical/electronics engineering n am proceedin 2 do my masters in telecoms. When i was serving another lady joined me.we used to work with power lines n were a source of commosion on d streets.
tis just dat nigerians rnt used to that kind of thin as most men, even as some of the most educated believe dat a womans place is in the kitchen n if she has to work at all, it should not be a stressful job @ tall.

Well, the world is changing n i bellieve people r becomin mo' enlightened
Re: Who Said Engineering Is Not For Ladies? by Zahymaka(m): 1:09am On Jun 08, 2006
DivineOke:

When i was serving another lady joined me.we used to work with power lines n were a source of commosion on d streets.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with a naughty mind here grin grin. I hope the comotion was not caused because you wore a skirt while up there wink cheesy cheesy.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do You Convince The Upcoming Generation / Remote Jobs Availability / Ten Enemies To Your Visions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.