Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,605 members, 7,820,162 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:45 AM

Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic (12966 Views)

* / PPPRA Issues 42 Fuel Import Permits To Marketers / What Can I Import From USA? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by Nobody: 11:42am On Jul 16, 2012
Fuel marketers in Katsina have begun importing refined petroleum products from the newly-built refinery in neighbouring Niger Republic, investigations by Daily Trust show.

Niger-refined diesel is already available in many filling stations in Katsina State, and marketers say plans are on to begin importing petrol from the Soraz refinery.

The refinery was opened in November in Zinder, just 80 kilometres north of the border with Nigeria, with enough capacity to satisfy domestic requirements and a huge surplus for export.

Until the recent development, Nigeria imports refined products only from far away countries including India, Brazil and Netherlands.

Daily Trust investigations show that a company belonging to business mogul Dahiru Mangal started importing diesel from the Soraz refinery in April to outlets in Katsina State.

“We have been importing diesel from Niger for almost four months now. We have so far made three trips of 30 trucks each,” an official at D.B. Mangal Petroleum, Alhaji Lawal Dahiru Mangal, told Daily Trust in Katsina.

Checks at some of the filling stations selling the Niger-refined diesel show that a litre sells at N160, compared with the N170 price of diesel brought up North from the ports in Lagos.

The Mangal company sells the imported commodity to end users at its own filling stations and to other retailers in the state.

Alhaji Lawal said the company has obtained import license from the Federal Government and “also met all requirements put in place by the government for importation of the commodity.”

Asked if they will consider bringing in petrol, he said, “For now we are not importing petrol from Niger but arrangements are on for its importation. We are studying the situation for now and if we are okay with the gains we will start.”

He added that the price of the commodity varies even at their own D.B. Mangal filling stations depending on the distance of the retail outlet.

“The price of the commodity within Katsina metropolis is different from the price at D.B. Mangal’s outlets outside Katsina,” he said, adding “We have permanent customers from within and outside Katsina State that are buying the commodity from us.”

Some of the drivers of D.B. Mangal Petroleum confirmed to Daily Trust that they do bring in diesel from Niger.

“We are importing 30 trucks of diesel per trip from Niger. So far we have made three trips in four months. Right now, we have about eight trucks of diesel that are not offloaded,” one of the drivers said.

A fuel attendant at the I.M. Petroleum in Katsina also told Daily Trust that they “have bought diesel from Mangal twice” so far.

He said the commodity is cheaper at Mangal’s company when compared with the price of diesel imported to Nigeria through the seaports. “Availability at Mangal company also matters; you can always get the commodity from Mangal,” he said.

No official of the Department of Petroleum Resources in Abuja was available for comments yesterday. Spokeswoman for DPR, Mrs Belema Osibodu, did not answer her calls and did not respond to a text message sent to her.

But a source at the department said there were some discussions about diesel import permits applied by some companies who want to import from Niger Republic.

The source said since diesel is a deregulated product, marketers may import the commodity when they satisfy regulatory requirements.

The Niger refinery, located some 900 km east of the capital Niamey, is a 20,000 barrel-per-day capacity and will be fed entirely by oil from the newly-launched Agadem oilfield, a further 700 km east.

It will initially draw crude from three Agadem wells with reserves totalling 480 million barrels. Local consumption of refined products accounts for 7,000 barrels a day with plans to export the rest.

The refinery is 60 percent-owned by Chinese state oil company CNPC and 40 percent by Niger. It follows a $5 billion deal signed between the two in 2008 to concurrently build the plant and develop crude oil from Agadem.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php/other-sections/lead-stories/171835-nigeria-begins-fuel-import-from-niger
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by NigeriaKwenu(m): 5:21pm On Jul 16, 2012
HmmI wonder if one Nigerian will make heaven sef. Because i don't think God wants 1diots in heaven. Na waoo...fuel from Niger?

Afam4eva(God save NJigeria)

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by miteolu(m): 5:22pm On Jul 16, 2012
FIRST CLASS SHAME.

DO NOT BE DECEIVED, IT IS OWNED BY NIGERIAN BIG MEN

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by Standing5(m): 5:26pm On Jul 16, 2012
HMMMMM
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by speeder(m): 5:29pm On Jul 16, 2012
i weep for my nation.
Great men investing in another mans land and by so doing impoverishing citizens at home.
Why is Nigerian's rifinery not functioning?
We have abt three of them, with one recently built in Anambra state, yet no development.
This foolishly fucking politicians are just foolishly mindless of this foolishly fucking development of a foolishly fuckuing coutry at a fucking time in history.
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jul 16, 2012
This topic got me het up! Why is Nigeria importing of all commodities,petroleum products? What den do we av 2 offer 2 d world.jst importing,borrowing,asking or begging 4 one thin or d other.*so angry*
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by ogbonoeba: 5:30pm On Jul 16, 2012
abubello: Fuel marketers in Katsina have begun importing refined petroleum products from the newly-built refinery in neighbouring Niger Republic, investigations by Daily Trust show.

Niger-refined diesel is already available in many filling stations in Katsina State, and marketers say plans are on to begin importing petrol from the Soraz refinery.

The refinery was opened in November in Zinder, just 80 kilometres north of the border with Nigeria, with enough capacity to satisfy domestic requirements and a huge surplus for export.

Until the recent development, Nigeria imports refined products only from far away countries including India, Brazil and Netherlands.

Daily Trust investigations show that a company belonging to business mogul Dahiru Mangal started importing diesel from the Soraz refinery in April to outlets in Katsina State.

“We have been importing diesel from Niger for almost four months now. We have so far made three trips of 30 trucks each,” an official at D.B. Mangal Petroleum, Alhaji Lawal Dahiru Mangal, told Daily Trust in Katsina.

Checks at some of the filling stations selling the Niger-refined diesel show that a litre sells at N160, compared with the N170 price of diesel brought up North from the ports in Lagos.

The Mangal company sells the imported commodity to end users at its own filling stations and to other retailers in the state.

Alhaji Lawal said the company has obtained import license from the Federal Government and “also met all requirements put in place by the government for importation of the commodity.”

Asked if they will consider bringing in petrol, he said, “For now we are not importing petrol from Niger but arrangements are on for its importation. We are studying the situation for now and if we are okay with the gains we will start.”

He added that the price of the commodity varies even at their own D.B. Mangal filling stations depending on the distance of the retail outlet.

“The price of the commodity within Katsina metropolis is different from the price at D.B. Mangal’s outlets outside Katsina,” he said, adding “We have permanent customers from within and outside Katsina State that are buying the commodity from us.”

Some of the drivers of D.B. Mangal Petroleum confirmed to Daily Trust that they do bring in diesel from Niger.

“We are importing 30 trucks of diesel per trip from Niger. So far we have made three trips in four months. Right now, we have about eight trucks of diesel that are not offloaded,” one of the drivers said.

A fuel attendant at the I.M. Petroleum in Katsina also told Daily Trust that they “have bought diesel from Mangal twice” so far.

He said the commodity is cheaper at Mangal’s company when compared with the price of diesel imported to Nigeria through the seaports. “Availability at Mangal company also matters; you can always get the commodity from Mangal,” he said.

No official of the Department of Petroleum Resources in Abuja was available for comments yesterday. Spokeswoman for DPR, Mrs Belema Osibodu, did not answer her calls and did not respond to a text message sent to her.

But a source at the department said there were some discussions about diesel import permits applied by some companies who want to import from Niger Republic.

The source said since diesel is a deregulated product, marketers may import the commodity when they satisfy regulatory requirements.

The Niger refinery, located some 900 km east of the capital Niamey, is a 20,000 barrel-per-day capacity and will be fed entirely by oil from the newly-launched Agadem oilfield, a further 700 km east.

It will initially draw crude from three Agadem wells with reserves totalling 480 million barrels. Local consumption of refined products accounts for 7,000 barrels a day with plans to export the rest.

The refinery is 60 percent-owned by Chinese state oil company CNPC and 40 percent by Niger. It follows a $5 billion deal signed between the two in 2008 to concurrently build the plant and develop crude oil from Agadem.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php/other-sections/lead-stories/171835-nigeria-begins-fuel-import-from-niger

We are now importing fuel from other african countries...One more insult for Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by ebamma(m): 5:31pm On Jul 16, 2012
niger republic?, what a shame,thank u mr olusegun obasanjo for this embarrasment.
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by Yvvette(f): 5:32pm On Jul 16, 2012
What a shame!SMH.
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by mkmyers45(m): 5:32pm On Jul 16, 2012
If we don't buy from them who will they sell too?
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jul 16, 2012
Meeen, this is good business. All i need to do is to load 33,000litres truck of crude oil from PH and straight down to Niger.. This is the latest biz in town. Crudeoil meant for Kaduna refinery will be diverted there.. Our useless officials will create hoarding. Well na their wahala be dat. Omo, make i Chinedu make we go vandalise crude pipelines jare. Atleast 33,000litres of crude oil could fetch me close to 25m.. Meen, this is business grin
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jul 16, 2012
Hall of Shame!! sad
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by lacasa: 5:34pm On Jul 16, 2012
The dwellings of a failed nation wink
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by tarfaadam(m): 5:34pm On Jul 16, 2012
Wr iz shame, sheet, disgracz & nonse coming from?
While, we hav Ministry for Niger Delta, Commtt on fuel subsidy, NnPc.
And aslo we are goin to start parasiting Electricity from nebouring Country
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by Caracta(f): 5:36pm On Jul 16, 2012
Oh no! *crying*
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by Goldmind1(m): 5:37pm On Jul 16, 2012
ONE NIGERIA! ONE DESTINY! FOOLS DECEIVING THEMSELVES.
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by Piyke: 5:38pm On Jul 16, 2012
most unfortunate. The worlds 8th largest oil producer in the world and largest producer in Africa importing from on of the poorest nations on the planet.

Why can't we just have our own refineries

Yet we are thinking of nuclear energy...this is akin to a baby running before learning to crawl
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by richardoz(m): 5:38pm On Jul 16, 2012
I wonder when Nigeria will develop and those people will be boasting of economical growth whereas we ar just crawling and i can't predict hw we will b among top 20 countries in 2020.
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by stolenstone: 5:40pm On Jul 16, 2012
e no funny at all!!! Mods make una move dis thread to frontpage make ohaneze see d mess ups wey our leaders don reduce this country to! Can you imagine Niger of all places? They'll take our money build refineries in strange lands, take d crude frm here to such lands refine it, and bring it back, sell at exorbitant prices and still chop subsidy money on top oooo!!! Oh my jingles pringles! This we country don kpaaafuka finish

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by alahamad(m): 5:41pm On Jul 16, 2012
And they say they created jobs.....why won't there be insecurity.....

Let's be frank,the president and all politicians are the problem of Nigeria....but the people are blindfolded by poverty and too stupid to realize that by the time they wake up from their drunk slumber, hell will be home to many...

How can this happen and all the people do is kill themselves under the pretense of religion nd ethnitsm....

Haaaaaa.....God Help!!!!!
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by Judeoxide(m): 5:41pm On Jul 16, 2012
somtyms i wonder how some ppl think.are u God..and what made u think u knw Gods mind..business men build refinary in niger who said it is niger government??some tym i c some posts here and its lyk.. oh my God..is dis realy human or is it a program just speakn ??importing from niger to me is even beter dan long distance..or is it becouse its niger.??de lowest of west africa??i think we are d main problem of d nation..our stupid pride is killin us..if u dont have something get it from dose dat have it..ohh because we are nigeria we cant import 4rum a poor country..we bring pains were dia is no pian and find fult were dia is non..to me its no big deal

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by sunkoye: 5:43pm On Jul 16, 2012
bad liers.....na one nigerian thief go get am.
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by beylinko(m): 5:44pm On Jul 16, 2012
I tot d capsion was misleadin not until wen i read it.wat happend 2 our refineries. Dis is just shameful
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by Adaa2(m): 5:45pm On Jul 16, 2012
If a refinery can be built in Niger that has export capacity it should not be beyond Nigeria to build more than one refinery with capacity to meet local need.
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by dayokanu(m): 5:45pm On Jul 16, 2012
And we have a clueless President called retardeen grinning somewhere now and eating 1billion Cassava bread

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by ifihearam: 5:46pm On Jul 16, 2012
This is a collective shame
Tot they said our fuel was diverted there which caused artificial scarcity??
How come we now import from sane country we supply fuel?
I don't believe this
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by beylinko(m): 5:46pm On Jul 16, 2012
I tot dis capsion was misleadin not until wen i read it.wat happend 2 our refineries. Dis is just 2 shameful.
Dont be suprise wen we start takin our crudeoil down der 2 refine.
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by nikejoy: 5:46pm On Jul 16, 2012
Shame to our Leader.Niger n Nigeria....share the same boundary,and it is very easy frm whr i was posted to in Sokoto,gudu local gov,bachaka.dat was 2011.UP NIGER
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jul 16, 2012
Thanks for the update. Who owns that Refinery in Niger. The more you look, the less you see.
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by ifihearam: 5:49pm On Jul 16, 2012
@dayokanu
I have exercised enoff patience to ignore ur foolish and dumb post but not anymore
How does this concern GEJ,is there no PPPRA,NNPC,minister of petroluem??should the president personally monitor these activities?pls grow up and be reasonable
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jul 16, 2012
Soon nigeria will start importing anoda thing from somalia
Re: Nigeria Begins Fuel Import From Niger Republic by faithin9ja: 5:53pm On Jul 16, 2012
Judeoxide: somtyms i wonder how some ppl think.are u God..and what made u think u knw Gods mind..business men build refinary in niger who said it is niger government??some tym i c some posts here and its lyk.. oh my God..is dis realy human or is it a program just speakn ??importing from niger to me is even beter dan long distance..or is it becouse its niger.??de lowest of west africa??i think we are d main problem of d nation..our stupid pride is killin us..if u dont have something get it from dose dat have it..ohh because we are nigeria we cant import 4rum a poor country..we bring pains were dia is no pian and find fult were dia is non..to me its no big deal

This text speak is appalling but you make a brilliant point. What is bad in Nigeria buying fuel from Niger? must Niger remain poverty stricken forever? this is good news for Nigeria, at least if ordinary Nigerians can go across the border and buy petrol this will end the 'fallacy that is subsidy' and the real price of petrol will be achieved.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Think Ive Been Scammed! / Is This Right Or Wrong About Most Nigeria Banks? / Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.