Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,746 members, 7,809,843 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:55 PM

Is Rain Water Safe To Drink? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is Rain Water Safe To Drink? (1337 Views)

Before You Continue To Drink The Rumoured Salt & Water Ebola Cure - READ This.. / Any Dangers In Drinking Rain Water / EU Approves Medication That Quenches Urge To Drink Alcohol (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Rain Water Safe To Drink? by Rexyl(m): 3:54pm On Jul 16, 2012
I would like responses from those who know the answer to this question. I had drunk rain water for years before moving on to packaged water and bore hole water. I changed my mind a little bit to go for rain water again when I discovered that my new location is upland which is a few meters above valley or swampy area where water collected from such locations might be prone to contaminants. I raised a platform to collect the cleanest water for drinking. I got the cleanest water of my liking, no traces of dirt from my sightly observation. However I was surprised that two visible objects were noted swimming in the water, they were a medium sized worm and the smaller other.If this is possible, I wonder how many tiny and unseen organisms(harmful and harmless) one would have swallowed drinking rain water. With this observation can one still believe that rain water is safe for drinking?
Re: Is Rain Water Safe To Drink? by Akpunwa(f): 9:24pm On Jul 17, 2012
Most rain water is not good for drinking unless proven wrong by physicochemical & bacteriological analysis.
This is because as rain makes its descent to the ground, it mixes with gases in the atmosphere as well as suspended particles (dust, smoke, living matter etc). That explains for the clear visibility you notice after a downpour. Also, there is acid rain in places where oxides of sulphur for example are released into the atmosphere by exploration or production activities. The dissolved gas is what causes the acidity
pardon my long grammar...
Re: Is Rain Water Safe To Drink? by doublekay: 3:44pm On Jul 18, 2012
Akpunwa: Most rain water is not good for drinking unless proven wrong by physicochemical & bacteriological analysis.
This is because as rain makes its descent to the ground, it mixes with gases in the atmosphere as well as suspended particles (dust, smoke, living matter etc). That explains for the clear visibility you notice after a downpour. Also, there is acid rain in places where oxides of sulphur for example are released into the atmosphere by exploration or production activities. The dissolved gas is what causes the acidity
pardon my long grammar...
just the way it is,
if you can lay your hands on spring water its better off
Re: Is Rain Water Safe To Drink? by itstpia1: 9:53pm On Aug 27, 2014
In nigeria, it generally is, if the downpour was heavy enough.
Re: Is Rain Water Safe To Drink? by itstpia1: 10:49pm On Aug 27, 2014
doublekay:
just the way it is,

Also good.
Re: Is Rain Water Safe To Drink? by Rexyl(m): 6:23am On Aug 28, 2014
doublekay:
just the way it is,

but the fear of ebola ... hmmm. Bush animals also share spring water with human. And monkeys are so closer to doing so.

(1) (Reply)

One Month Old Baby Girl Found Pregnant In Saudi Arabia. / Tissue Paper Or Water, Which Do You Think Is More Hygienic For Cleaning Bum-bum / Amazing Benefits And Uses For Hydrogen Peroxide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.