Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,618 members, 7,809,266 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:02 AM

Software For Playing Videos - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Software For Playing Videos (2675 Views)

Laptop Now Laggs When Playing Videos / New 2011 Free Dstv Software For Phone And Pc (download Now) / Playing Videos On The Internet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Software For Playing Videos by Seun(m): 6:34pm On Dec 05, 2007
Which software video player do you use? I use the popular VLC media player and Media Player Classic. You?
Re: Software For Playing Videos by niteduff(m): 7:38pm On Dec 05, 2007
VLC is cool but i preffer Windows Media Player 11,
I love the design.
Re: Software For Playing Videos by folahann(m): 9:19pm On Dec 05, 2007
Yeah the design of the media palyer is very cool and it give you more service especially if you are connected to the net but the picture quality of the media player classic is the best
Re: Software For Playing Videos by niteduff(m): 9:50pm On Dec 05, 2007
The reason why I like VLC player is just that it doesnt consume too much computer memory while running and it also plays some files rejected by windows media player
Re: Software For Playing Videos by anusule(m): 11:07pm On Dec 05, 2007
niteduff:

The reason why I like VLC player is just that it doesnt consume too much computer memory while running and it also plays some files rejected by windows media player

thats why VLC is better than windows media 11, low memory consumption and faster time to come up. but I still have issues running it on vista.

I use RealPlayer version11. you can download videos from any site with it.
Re: Software For Playing Videos by anusule(m): 11:09pm On Dec 05, 2007
i also have 'essential codecs pack' that has an flv codec inclusive.
Re: Software For Playing Videos by sawyerrken(m): 8:38am On Dec 06, 2007
k_lite codec pack contains just about everything
Re: Software For Playing Videos by niteduff(m): 9:00am On Dec 06, 2007
Have you tried Total Video Player a tiny apps that could play almost any video without requesting you to download any video codecs.
Re: Software For Playing Videos by zPixel(m): 2:17pm On Dec 06, 2007
Combination of VLC player and Media Player Classic is the best bet. VLC plays some weird formats that classic can't like .mkv and the quality is slightly better than classic media player. But the overall best from the tests i've performed is Media Player Classic, it consumes less memory you can confirm by checking your taskbar, its seeks better, it hardly crashes, it has a better playlist feature compare to VLC and some other cool stuff.

Have you tried Total Video Player a tiny apps that could play almost any video without requesting you to download any video codecs.
In my opinion, Total Video Player is a complete mess.
Re: Software For Playing Videos by inze(m): 4:42pm On Dec 06, 2007
i use media player classic and its been da bomb.

I n z e
Re: Software For Playing Videos by dtwsola(m): 4:52pm On Dec 06, 2007
VLC is superior to all others, runs very light,  and is multi-platform. Media Player Classic is not to bad either, and actually does a better job for seeking *.wmv files, but it has not recieved any updates in ages, while VLC is continuosly improving. The problem with MPC is that you have to download codecs, and it uses much more system resources.  One thing for certain is I don't use any Windows Media Player Trash on my computer.
Re: Software For Playing Videos by nkc(m): 4:54pm On Dec 06, 2007
i use nero ultimate 8. not sure, but it plays all i ever need, mp4s down to anything and i can convert for mobile devics easily
Re: Software For Playing Videos by TerrySoft(m): 5:58pm On Dec 06, 2007
@Poster

I have used so many but found not to be as good as Gom Player. It's light, it plays virtually anything and has so many functions. conserves memory and allows you to take snap shots from video with a button. In fact, it's the best i've come across - check out www.gomplayer.com and download a copy. ITS FREE
Re: Software For Playing Videos by zPixel(m): 6:18pm On Dec 06, 2007
conserves memory and allows you to take snap shots from video with a button
If you use VLC, you can also take snapshots by navigating to video>snapshot. I think there's a bug with the snapshot function for media classic player File>Save image, it doesn't work for me.
Re: Software For Playing Videos by auwal(m): 6:24pm On Dec 06, 2007
I use realplayer 11 beta, its jst 2 good ,,,,,u can use it 2 download videos 4rm youtube also.
Re: Software For Playing Videos by dtwsola(m): 6:43pm On Dec 06, 2007
I don't know why anyone would be reccomending Real or Windows media player. The OP asked for software, not bloatware.
Re: Software For Playing Videos by inze(m): 6:49pm On Dec 06, 2007
dtw_sola:

I don't know why anyone would be reccomending Real or Windows media player. The OP asked for software, not bloatware.

lmao
Re: Software For Playing Videos by SugaLips(f): 7:00pm On Dec 06, 2007
I think Cyberlink PowerDVD is awesome. I recommend it to everyone.
Re: Software For Playing Videos by dinozzo(m): 8:05pm On Dec 06, 2007
I use either VLC or WM11. With K-lite codec pack I have no problem opening any file using WM11.
Re: Software For Playing Videos by Seun(m): 8:37pm On Dec 06, 2007
Do you think the average computer user in Nigeria has access to VLC Player and the like?
Re: Software For Playing Videos by showbobo(m): 9:09pm On Dec 06, 2007
Quicktime player but i prefer Windows Media Player.
Re: Software For Playing Videos by zPixel(m): 10:17pm On Dec 06, 2007
I think Cyberlink PowerDVD is awesome. I recommend it to everyone

i think we should only be talking about freeware apps instead of softwares that you have to pay hundreds of dollars for and can't still even perform half of what the free apps can do.

Do you think the average computer user in Nigeria has access to VLC Player and the like?
Why not, its just 9 mb in size.
Re: Software For Playing Videos by segundash(m): 4:04pm On Dec 10, 2007
I use K-Lite Codec Pack. It is updated regularly (almost monthly), the current version is K-Lite Codec Pack 3.5.7 (Full). It can play every audio or video i've come across. You can get this and all codecs from http://www.free-codecs.com/.
Re: Software For Playing Videos by LongOne1(m): 1:53pm On Dec 11, 2007
I guess i still prefer VLC media player cause it doesn't use as much memory as media player classic and it plays more formats.
Re: Software For Playing Videos by folahann(m): 4:02pm On Dec 11, 2007
Why don't you stick to the software that came with your system
Re: Software For Playing Videos by Seun(m): 5:33pm On Dec 11, 2007
Which one?
Re: Software For Playing Videos by uspry1(f): 9:04pm On Dec 11, 2007
Stick with the following software: Windows Media player and other OEM media player that come with computer system you purchase either on CD installation or pre-installed software on computer.

It is found on your Windows XP/Vista under "Start" button, click "All Program", select "Accessories", then select "Entertainment", you will see which player already installed there----FREE.

Those are not come with CD installation/pre-installed, you need to get free most recent version downloaded player such as:

Flash player
Shockwave player
QuickTime player
Media Classic player
K-Lite Codec Pack

For example if you buy Adobe Flash professional, it will automatically install include Flash player and QuickTime player inside the application CD installation you do not need download from the internet. It does upgrade player newer version as it detect immediately after the completion of application CD installation.(of course it prompts an upgrade alert window dialog pop-up, request for your permission to accept or reject it).

I use all downloaded players for my web development purpose to test them ensuring it function properly before upload finalized file to the web site.
Re: Software For Playing Videos by blogtech(m): 5:40pm On Dec 13, 2007
VLC media player is the BEST, it's play any shit provided its is "V"
Re: Software For Playing Videos by kq(m): 8:44am On Dec 14, 2007
sad

hey guys please help me out i just got a new laptop and it came with windows vista(business) and windows media player11
unfortunately each time i try to play DVDs using it an error message appears saying "Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust your Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings."

i ave tried adjusting screen resolution and color settings to no avail it still doesnt play, Please can anybody help me out.
Re: Software For Playing Videos by niceuzor: 11:47am On Dec 19, 2007
Download Free VLC media player on your laptop!
Re: Software For Playing Videos by Seun(m): 7:51pm On Dec 19, 2007
Re: Software For Playing Videos by Ivvie: 7:41pm On Dec 21, 2007
Windows Media 11 is the worst ever. Very unstable and renders files unusable. I use Intervideo DVD, Neromedia player/Showtime or Winamp.

(1) (Reply)

Korg Tr-61 Main Board Module / Help To Reset BIOS/CMOS Password On Laptop / Aed Downloader

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.