Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,467 members, 7,954,829 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:23 AM

Colonial Era Pictures Of Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Colonial Era Pictures Of Lagos (1007 Views)

Woman Turns Her Fridge Into A Wardrobe In This Era Of Change (pix) / Checkout A Village Court In Uyo In 1949 Where Colonial Officers Preside(pic) / Some Of African Colonial Era Nation Flags (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Colonial Era Pictures Of Lagos by davidif: 3:33am On Dec 06, 2007
Lagos looks pretty much the same way if not worse

http://eryptick.net/unisold/amj/nigeria-1951/nigeria-diary.html
Re: Colonial Era Pictures Of Lagos by Kobojunkie: 3:42am On Dec 06, 2007
No. Lagos looked way way better back then than it does today. My dad saved up lots of pictures from back then that I happen to have seen and believe you me, it was not even half bad for that time.
Re: Colonial Era Pictures Of Lagos by chiegemba(f): 4:01am On Dec 06, 2007
I remember my mum tellin me dat Lagos used 2 be very beautiful and Nigeria wealthy not until "FESTAC 77" was hosted in Nigeria b4 everythin started goin downhill.
Re: Colonial Era Pictures Of Lagos by naijaway(m): 5:59am On Dec 06, 2007
very nice to see those pictures.

1 Like

Re: Colonial Era Pictures Of Lagos by yimiton(f): 7:59am On Dec 06, 2007
Very beautiful write up. Nicely written diary with vivid and beautiful description.
Reading it nearly brought the tears to my eyes.
Re: Colonial Era Pictures Of Lagos by babasin(m): 8:06am On Dec 06, 2007
Nicely written diary with vivid and beautiful description.

exactly.
Re: Colonial Era Pictures Of Lagos by Orikinla(m): 12:36pm On Dec 06, 2007
There are more photographs of old Lagos at the National Museum in Lagos.

The house on Cameron in Ikoyi in the picture is still there before I left Lagos.

The boat club is still there.

Some of the old houses on the Broad Street are still there.

I would have loved to find out the whereabouts of those little children in Lagos if they are still alive and well to recollect the scenes in the photographs.

Lagos was still fine and safer until that satanic coup of the late Brigadier-General Murtala Muhammad. That man and his successor retired General Olusegun Obasanjo pushed Nigeria down the hill.
Murtala Muhammad destoyed the civil service.
Re: Colonial Era Pictures Of Lagos by davidif: 1:41am On Mar 23, 2017
Orikinla:
There are more photographs of old Lagos at the National Museum in Lagos.

The house on Cameron in Ikoyi in the picture is still there before I left Lagos.

The boat club is still there.

Some of the old houses on the Broad Street are still there.

I would have loved to find out the whereabouts of those little children in Lagos if they are still alive and well to recollect the scenes in the photographs.

Lagos was still fine and safer until that satanic coup of the late Brigadier-General Murtala Muhammad. That man and his successor retired General Olusegun Obasanjo pushed Nigeria down the hill.
Murtala Muhammad destoyed the civil service.

I thought it was Aguiyi Ironsi that started the whole thing.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Creates New Ministry For Niger Delta / This Is Ridiculous: We Allowed Naira To Fall - Cbn Gov / Black Holocaust!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.