Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,445 members, 7,823,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

$620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info (10709 Views)

Buhari Dissolves AMCON, Appoints Ahmed Lawan Kuru as MD / ‘Lai Mohammed Detained For Abusing Jonathan’ / Man Detained For Allegedly Criticising Bayelsa Governor On Facebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

$620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by Ptimes: 11:00am On Jul 18, 2012

Mr. Tyem is accused of fraternising with staff familiar with the investigation

Charges him For Conspiracy & devulging of Official Secret

The Special Task Force Unit of the Nigeria Police investigating the case of alleged bribery involving members of the House of Representatives ad hoc Committee on fuel subsidy Tuesday detained a crime reporter of Abuja-based Peoples Daily newspaper over allegations he knew and was revealing too much about the investigation.

Lambert Tyem was held for six hours after he was invited to the police headquarters to explain how he was obtaining confidential information he was publishing, the journalist's colleagues told PREMIUM TIMES.

Mr. Tyem honoured the invitation only for the police to accuse him of hacking into their operational system to obtain information on the Farouk Lawan bribery investigation.

He arrived the police headquarters at 11.30 a.m. and was only released on bail at about 5.30 p.m.

He was asked to report back for questioning by 10 a.m. on Monday, July 23.

My Tyem's colleagues, briefed on the matter, said the police threatened to charge the reporter to court over "a criminal case of conspiracy and divulging of official secret".

During Tuesday's interrogation of Mr. Tyem, officers reportedly expressed worry that the journalist was getting detailed information on every step of the investigation.

Contacted, Force spokesperson, Frank Mba, said he was not aware of the matter but would check with the task force and revert to our reporter Wednesday.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/6109-police_detains_journalists_for_having_info.html
Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by lifestyle1(m): 3:03pm On Jul 18, 2012
undecided
Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by bubadaniel13: 3:05pm On Jul 18, 2012
This is absurd,maybe the information is faulty.
Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by amosy007: 3:08pm On Jul 18, 2012
Its a normal thing world over to be invited for questioning if u expose classified informations. Lets not get too emotional

anyway its all fresh air grin

1 Like

Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by mrman2(m): 3:08pm On Jul 18, 2012
If i had a penny for every time the Nigerian police force and the Nigerian government in particular has disappointed me, i will be a billionaire.

5 Likes

Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by executinal(m): 3:09pm On Jul 18, 2012
Hope they are not looking for scapegoat grin grin
Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by Super1759: 3:18pm On Jul 18, 2012
Pikin weh dem send go do wrk.if en tire,na to pursue grasshopper beta pass the wrk.

2 Likes

Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by aare07(m): 3:20pm On Jul 18, 2012
but, FOI BILL HAS BEEN PASSED INTO LAW BY THE SENATE.
THE INFORMATION IS REAL.
IT IS A MEANS OF PUTTING THE CASES OF UNDER THE CARPET.

1 Like

Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jul 18, 2012

Mr. Tyem honoured the invitation only for the police to accuse him of hacking into their operational system to obtain information on the Farouk Lawan bribery investigation.

My Tyem's colleagues, briefed on the matter, said the police threatened to charge the reporter to court over "a criminal case of conspiracy and divulging of official secret"

fresh air

if yankee were like nigeria the watergate scandal would have been buried

1 Like

Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by ugosly(m): 3:25pm On Jul 18, 2012
amosy007: Its a normal thing world over to be invited for questioning if u expose classified informations. Lets not get too emotional

I beg to ask what is classified about a clear case of corruption involving a PUBLIC OFFICER and an ORDINARY BUSINESS MAN,both Nigerian citizensz??
Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jul 18, 2012
i thought the otedola/farouk case have been closed and swept under the carpet as usual! abi dem wan continue with the film?

1 Like

Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by legendprac(m): 3:28pm On Jul 18, 2012
Wots d essence of FOI bill then?
Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by talktrue1(m): 3:28pm On Jul 18, 2012
the police threatened to charge the reporter to court

Nigeria Police. They have not taking the people that committed offense to court na innocent journalist they wan carry go court

1 Like

Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jul 18, 2012
Is the journalist being mistaken for Facrook? In my Opinion it is only one person that should be in detention here; Facrook!

I reiterate our POLICE force is STRONG against the WEAK and WEAK against the STRONG. Go after a powerful Facrook and leave an innocent Journalist alone.

Naija and hypocrisy.

6 Likes

Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jul 18, 2012
enter thr 40 laptops to tell us that a criminal investigation is a matter of national security
Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by pembisco(m): 3:30pm On Jul 18, 2012
Classified infomatn my foot,dt means their investigatns ar porous nd nt reliable since a jona can hv access 2 it
Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by Sanguine77(m): 3:31pm On Jul 18, 2012
What then does the FoI stand for? Every Nigerian is interested about this subsidy probe and the bribe scandal which they want to bury. We cannot be hoodwinked and fooled all the time. Let all the information whether classified or not be published ASAP.
Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by pembisco(m): 3:34pm On Jul 18, 2012
amosy007: Its a normal thing world over to be invited for questioning if u expose classified informations. Lets not get too emotional

i wuld hv liked ur comment if it wer in oyibo land,bt here in naija? U ar talkn rubbish,no offence pls
Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by slick1(m): 3:35pm On Jul 18, 2012
Person wen recieve bribe no go jail. . .na person wen feel say naijarians nid 2 knw d truth na him dey face questioning . .
NIGERIAN POLICE FROgs . .habaaa. . .na wa oh
Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by pembisco(m): 3:36pm On Jul 18, 2012
Hw cn i post a topic here pls? Nìd help
Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by slick1(m): 3:37pm On Jul 18, 2012

classified ma knash . . .dem want sweep am unda d usual way
Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by ebamma(m): 3:47pm On Jul 18, 2012
police have collected their own bribe,soon the case will be closed.
Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jul 18, 2012
Freedom of Information is a right and not liberty, Freedom has limitation !
Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by manny4life(m): 3:53pm On Jul 18, 2012
Billyonaire: Freedom of Information is a right and not liberty, Freedom has limitation !

Come on man, I have to disagree with you on this one. Aren't civil liberties "Right and Freedoms"? Right to freedom of speech, expression and information is a civil liberty, at least, "God given rights" and per our democratic constitution. In as long as your speech, obviously, doesn't intend to cause harm or caused harm, then it has no limitation.

@Topic,

Who's fault is it that the police cannot identify where the leak is from and prosecute it from there? angry angry angry Who fault is it they don't have sound systems to prevent hackers? angry angry angry Besides, how is this case "CLASSIFIED"? shocked shocked shocked Confidential? Maybe,, Classified, FVCK NO. Btw, I thought hacking was legal unless if it was for the sole purpose to destroy? embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jul 18, 2012
Nigerian Police
Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by ochukoccna: 3:59pm On Jul 18, 2012
Informal confirmation say dem dem wan die the case lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by amosy007: 4:03pm On Jul 18, 2012
ugosly: I beg to ask what is classified about a clear case of corruption involving a PUBLIC OFFICER and an ORDINARY BUSINESS MAN,both Nigerian citizensz??
i beg u to check the meaning of "classified information"
Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jul 18, 2012
manny4life:

Come on man, I have to disagree with you on this one. Aren't civil liberties "Right and Freedoms"? Right to freedom of speech, expression and information is a civil liberty, at least, "God given rights" and per our democratic constitution. In as long as your speech, obviously, doesn't intend to cause harm or caused harm, then it has no limitation.
I respect your opinion, my assertion was a general notion, if the information he divulged will jeopardize investigation then its worrisome how he has access to such privy information. The police is our friend, at least they are supposed to be.
Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by amosy007: 4:05pm On Jul 18, 2012
pembisco: i wuld hv liked ur comment if it wer in oyibo land,bt here in naija? U ar talkn rubbish,no offence pls
so anybody should go about exposing every move made by security agencies to d world.. Becoz its naija abi? Why u dey talk like dis na?
Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by amosy007: 4:09pm On Jul 18, 2012
slick1:
classified ma knash . . .dem want sweep am unda d usual way
either they invite d man or not... Can that stop them from sweeping it under the carpet... Can anyone stop them if they want too?
Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by Demdem(m): 4:18pm On Jul 18, 2012
so much for free press. i wonder what would have happened to online publications based outside the country if they are located in here. useless and deceitful government.
Re: $620k Lawan Probe: Journalist Detained For Obtaining Classified Info by ugosly(m): 4:23pm On Jul 18, 2012
amosy007:
i beg u to check the meaning of "classified information"
well the last time I checked, a 'classified document or information' is simply one dealing with information concerning National security....so could you please explain how or what investigating a thieving politician and a businessman has to do with National security,are you sure you even know what a classified document or information is??

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Northern CAN - GEJ Has Failed Us, He Should Resign / Where Is Ordinary Ahmed Isah? / Thisday Bomber Jailed For Life.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.