Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,495 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

BMW Owners' Forum - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / BMW Owners' Forum (230553 Views)

Honda CRV Owners Forum / Nissan Xterra Owners Forum / Kia Owners Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (93) (Reply) (Go Down)

BMW Owners' Forum by sexylogan(m): 4:25pm On Jul 18, 2012
Hello, fellow Nairalanders.
I created this thread so that BMW owners, enthusiasts, etc. could have a thread to chat and discuss
anything about the Ultimate Driving Machine. Feel free to ask questions abt any model and those with
technical or owner-based knowlege can contribute. I looked for a BMW thread in this section but i didnt
find any. Also feel free to chip in tips on where owners can get reliable service, parts and general
mainenance of BMWs where u live. Thanx.

7 Likes

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by olu4: 9:23am On Jul 19, 2012
Thanks my brother, this is thoughtful of you, I am a beema myself.

I am in a dilemma on what to do, most of our roads are bad and most bmw are just too low to cruise on these roads without having problems of repairing exhausts and other damages daily, but I can't do without using these machines and I can't relocate, at least for now.

What are the solutions available for people like me? I know raising the vehicle higher is not a good option either?

I need advice.

2 Likes

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by KayT1: 12:51pm On Jul 30, 2012
I drive a BMW 3 series E90 (2007). It's low, when compared to other cars but that's because its designed to function as a sports car. I have the occassional scratching of the underbody with the ground but I'm usually careful about where I go with the car. For me, and just like you, I really cant drive anything else because of the power and control that comes with driving a BMW, you'd hardly find that in anyother car in its class (or lower). Treat a BMW right, and it'll take care of you, that's my motto.

Before the 2007, i used a 3 series coupe 93. It was the most beautiful car in the world to me, till I got the 2007 and I've kept the right maintainance culture/attitude up until now and so I really have no worries. One key thing is to identify an Auto Mechanic who has the right experience and technical skills on BMWs. I can recommend an auto service center, if you don't mind, and I'll encourage you to call them. Exclusive Autos and Parts, they are located in Lagos Isalnd. You can call me on 08055096969 for more information or call Seyi on 08136749727 to schedule an appointment. They have a diagnostic tool used for fault finding and their prices (for services) are very affordable.

7 Likes

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 4:41pm On Jul 30, 2012
hi bimmer fans, i use an e36 94 320i. Since August 2011, I've not had major issues apart from things like ball joints, tie rod, shocks...power steering pump and fuel pump...changed two tyres and what else...ok nothing. Contrary to what i read or hear about poor reliability, the car is the best in reliability as far as i'm concerned. I hope to buy a 2004 or '03 e46 330i next year. I'm currently making contacts for a 1998 M3 sedan,which i hope to pick up if a good deal pulls through. As stated above,the car has a low ground clearance, my street is being worked on so I park in an adjoining street pending when on going work is completed. I changed my gear oil and filter yesterday, used the normal abro fluid...super visco 2000 (20w50...too heavy I guess, but I'll use 5w40 next time) No issues thus far.

2 Likes

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Emperoh(m): 5:49pm On Jul 30, 2012
I intend owning an e46 325i or 320i
But i am not yet so sure how much i know of BMWs but i sure an admirer of the German specimens.
I used to trip for the Audi A4 until i did a Lagos to Abuja ride on the wheels in a 3 series.

Will be following this thread closely
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by KayT1: 6:06pm On Jul 30, 2012
Emperoh: I intend owning an e46 325i or 320i
But i am not yet so sure how much i know of BMWs but i sure an admirer of the German specimens.
I used to trip for the Audi A4 until i did a Lagos to Abuja ride on the wheels in a 3 series.

You should take the step and get the car. BMWs are for drivers with a performance oriented driving style. You don't just want to get from point A to point B. You want to enjoy every second of the ride. That's what a BMW does for you.

7 Likes

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 7:34am On Jul 31, 2012
Emperoh: I intend owning an e46 325i or 320i

The e46 is a fine ride, more luxurious than the e36...though some who have used both say the e36 is more rugged, but i think the e46 is more refined. the 330i wins my heart.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 7:50am On Jul 31, 2012
some nice pictures of e36..

2 Likes

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 7:50am On Jul 31, 2012
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 7:53am On Jul 31, 2012
soon to be owned...

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 7:54am On Jul 31, 2012
you just have to love them...i love the paint...i hope i get any of these colours

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Ngutor(m): 9:51am On Jul 31, 2012
Nice thread I must say. My wife has been aching me for a 3 series. Don't know much about them so would like someone to give me a lead on which will be better, because am seeing things like E36, E46 320i/325i/330i. Wetin all these one mean na? I would prefer a model from 2000 to 2003
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 10:58am On Jul 31, 2012
Ngutor: Nice thread I must say. My wife has been aching me for a 3 series. Don't know much about them so would like someone to give me a lead on which will be better, because am seeing things like E36, E46 320i/325i/330i. Wetin all these one mean na? I would prefer a model from 2000 to 2003
the e36 production was from 1991-'98. E46 kicked off from 1999 to 2004/5(not sure), then you have the e90 from 2006...then the e92.
The codes 318,320...etc represent the car and engine designation. E.g., 3series,1.8l=318, 3series 2.0l=320...some have 'd'or 'i' meaning diesel or injector. E.g 320d and 320i...they'r nice cars. Give them proper care then you'l be fine

6 Likes

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Ngutor(m): 1:16pm On Jul 31, 2012
Thank you yungboss am clear now. Have you used a bmw? If you have which engine variant of the E46 would you recommend? What is the major drawback of the 3series?

1 Like

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jul 31, 2012
Am a fan of BMW, although I havent owned one. I drive only SUVs and I havent seen any of the BMW SUVs that tickles my fancy, the X6 is a cross-over and I am kind of thinking its great for the feminine folks. I hope they come up with something nice for me. For now, I remain a great fan of their engine technologies.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Wallie(m): 1:36pm On Jul 31, 2012
Ngutor: Thank you yungboss am clear now. Have you used a bmw? If you have which engine variant of the E46 would you recommend? What is the major drawback of the 3series?

You can pretty much get any 323, 325, 328, or 330. Keep in mind that for E46s, the 323 became 325, and the 328 became 330. I would say that you'd be better off getting an E46 that's not the first model year because manufacturers work out bugs in cars as the year progresses.

1 Like

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Wallie(m): 1:38pm On Jul 31, 2012
Billyonaire: Am a fan of BMW, although I havent owned one. I drive only SUVs and I havent seen any of the BMW SUVs that tickles my fancy, the X6 is a cross-over and I am kind of thinking its great for the feminine folks. I hope they come up with something nice for me. For now, I remain a great fan of their engine technologies.

Which SUV tickles your fancy? Hopefully, you won't say Ranger Rover Sport because BMW's X5 is a better clone of the RR.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Wallie(m): 1:43pm On Jul 31, 2012
yungboss: soon to be owned...above and herewith:

Just make sure that the M3 is thoroughly checked for cracks in the sub-frame area because I can see from the pictures above that it's being tracked. Also, check for compression in the cylinders, vanos problems, etc
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by isarumah(m): 1:44pm On Jul 31, 2012
Pls what is the percentage difference in fuel consumption between a BMW and Japanese a car?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jul 31, 2012
Wallie:

Which SUV tickles your fancy? Hopefully, you won't say Ranger Rover Sport because BMW's X5 is a better clone of the RR.
Well, I do have a RRS but I didnt know X5 is better clone, I dont just like the look of X5. Its my personal opinion anyway.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Wallie(m): 2:38pm On Jul 31, 2012
Billyonaire: Well, I do have a RRS but I didnt know X5 is better clone, I dont just like the look of X5. Its my personal opinion anyway.

When BMW bought Land Rover, they pretty much dissected the RR HSE and improved on it for the first version of the X5. That's why the X5 was a hit right out the gate.

I also like the RRS and looking forward to the new one (2013?) that’s rumored to be about 800 lbs lighter.

1 Like

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by SisiKill1: 2:47pm On Jul 31, 2012
Why are you guys being Carcist? angry angry

Why can't I discuss my 1988 Camaro here?

What does your BMW have that my car doesn't? It has engine, it has key that opens the door, it has tires and a boot too and when the panel beater finishes with it (hopefully by the end of the week) it will have a sunroof.

And the rewire guy told me by the time he is done, nobody will be able to see the wire connecting the speakers to the CD player in the boot.

We are also working on the keyless starting feature. . .As soon as the wires stop sparking and shocking people every time they touch. . .I will be good to go.

As for the car backup camera, my brother's friend's girlfriend works for Cannon and she is going to get me a deal on a Cannon T50. As soon as we can figure out a way to mount on top of the car and have it connected to the small TV we already installed in the dashboard. . .y'all can't say I don't have that.

So please tell me why I can't join the your group?? undecided

3 Likes

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by xcolanto(m): 2:50pm On Jul 31, 2012
Greetings to all the beema fans in the house. Was actually looking to start this thread after I owned my first 3 series, guess someone beat me to it..lol. Am looking to get the 2006 330ci zhp series a rear german machine to come across its a coupe and comes with factory crsytal lights front and back, better looking than the "coja" and much more upgraded on the suspension and the engine . Any one knows a good workshop where I can have it serviced or checked in ph?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by staffingx: 3:21pm On Jul 31, 2012
Back then, i drove a bmw E30 for 4 years. And they were some of the best driving moments for me.

Coming from owing a Honda prevously, the difference was out of this world.
Piece of advice though from a 5 year BMW veteran/owner.

1. Never allow a non beemer mechanic touch your car, particularly the engine.

2. If you can afford it, avoid buying a Nigerian used

3. Be wary of your cars water hoses. Faiulty/ leaking hoses will damage your engine.

4. Never MANAGE your car. Park it till you can afford its repair.

5. Finally, if you can afford it, dont buy a BMW OLDER THAN 5 years.

My 5 cents.

8 Likes

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Yinkay: 3:26pm On Jul 31, 2012
Also a fan from way back, have used 2 beemers currently on the 3rd, an E36, want to crossover frm saloon to SUVs, any opinion or experience on X3?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Ngutor(m): 3:31pm On Jul 31, 2012
Thanks Wallie you put it down real tight. Thats why nairaland remains the bomb. Always a wiiling body to help a needing body
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nightshift(m): 3:40pm On Jul 31, 2012
Driving a BMW is something special to me. Especially on curves, engine sound, and more importantly on German Autobahns. I bought my first 320 (1990) model in 1997,why on my way to the shipping company i made sure no other car passed me. I was doing constantly 220km/h for over 150km of my journey of 200km. I bought the car from a Croatian sister of a friend. The engine was superb, only had 90.000km run. I later gave it to my brother. In 2009 i bought my second BMW, it is a 530, 2005 model, 3.0ltr engine, 170kw, 231hp. I shipped it to Nigeria, where it's easier to maintain. Tax plus expensive fuel (€1.60 a ltr) makes it impossible for me driving such a car in Germany. BMW is a great automobile,but it's not cheap to maintain.I source my spare parts here, thereby eliminating cases of fake or sub-standard parts. I also get 20% discount on parts from my supplier due to relationship i developed with the company while working for their bigger client previously. The German lovers of BMW call it Münchner, its romantic name. Their x5 is reputed to be the most sporty of all the SUVs, according to experts.BMW x6 set a standard other manufacturers try to copy. 90% of X6 driven in Europe by mostly rich European businessmen. X6M is the most powerful of the series with over 400hp. I would advice folks interested in pre-used BMW to buy ones imported from Germany, due to special care in maintenance BMW is accorded by their German owners. The designing team at BMW has been changed, lets see what the new team will bring to the table. If you own a Münchner in Nigeria, make sure you use the recommended type of oil, spark plugs, filters, change those when due; you will enjoy your ride. Happy BMW driving!!

6 Likes

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by TheShopKeeper(m): 4:02pm On Jul 31, 2012
BMW 525i Auto diesel is one of the best drive around.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Ngutor(m): 4:34pm On Jul 31, 2012
Nightshift sir can you advice on the right spark plugs, engine oil et al that is suitable for these beaus
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nightshift(m): 4:59pm On Jul 31, 2012
Ngutor: Nightshift sir can you advice on the right spark plugs, engine oil et al that is suitable for these beaus
I use Total 7000, 30w-50 oil in Nigeria. In Europe it's a different grade due to weather. I bought for the car a NGK spark plug, but I don't remember the no. now. I will find that for you, when I visit the shop tomorrow. If you text me your phone no. on 0049 152 1053 9004, I can get you any BMW spare part you want. Ate brake pads, Continental belts, NGK, Bosch and Beru spark plugs, Knecht filters and battery that can last you 7-8yrs. All made in Germany products. I hope to be in Lagos in October this year. German auto parts are expensive, but lasts very long.

1 Like

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by jude33084(m): 5:07pm On Jul 31, 2012
♍♈ old lady is still ∂ virgin [size=15pt] BMW for real [/size]
grin grin grin

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jul 31, 2012

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (93) (Reply)

Club-Lexus / Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.