Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,875 members, 7,817,576 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria (13076 Views)

Sending Executable Files Through Gmail / Google Launches A Crazy 1000Mbps Fibre Internet Connection! / Send Sms From Your Gmail Account To Any Cell Phone Anywhere! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jul 18, 2012
threnody: THEY DERE DEY ASK FOR SOURCE TO BACK UP A FACT. DEM GO JUST FIRE U DRONE !
] cry
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by hammedkola(m): 11:12pm On Jul 18, 2012
But why is google doing so much in our country..First was free website hosting, now free gmail >> Sms...Hope there is no hidden agenda behind this or just all in d name of marketing?
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:17pm On Jul 18, 2012
Billyonaire: Beware of Google and its allied products. Its CIA infested. Dont say I didnt tell you.
sebi major internet sites sef get dr CIAs. (FB, Twitter NL etc). D no 1 tin s dt u shld b a crime free man.

& 2 d topic; gd dev.
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by chucky234(m): 11:19pm On Jul 18, 2012
Billyonaire: The question should be, each time you tell your girlfriend I love you on phone, does anyone else hear you apart from you and your girl ? Dont know Beaf though, I love his explanatory notes on N'land.
Beaf explanatory notes on N'land. Am I missing something here?
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by ODB1: 11:25pm On Jul 18, 2012
Billyonaire: Beware of Google and its allied products. Its CIA infested. Dont say I didnt tell you.
so is facebook and also slowly but surely NL.

GenBuhari, Musiwa and Alh-Harem beware. Big Brother is watching you!
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jul 18, 2012
But it isn't free. You still have to pay (at network rates) when replying your mails. Nice innovation, really. My advice, don't take the CIA/Spy stunt for granted. Those guys can do anything... Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by pcicero(m): 11:32pm On Jul 18, 2012
It's not really an innovative product. Globacom had SMS2Email as far back as 2004.
But I think Google's marketing strength would make this tick.

1 Like

Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by neeyeeo(m): 11:48pm On Jul 18, 2012
binger: CIA infested? Pls elucidate

I think its true, Google won a major US govt contract this year;there's no more privacy on the internet, even people with gmail acounts need to edit their privacy settings to prevent from showing some email conversations in search results. please read this: http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/01/google-wins-35-million-u-s-government-contract-over-microsoft/
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by s3nn2x(m): 11:51pm On Jul 18, 2012
Seriously speaking, people talking about CIA/FBI conspiracy this innovation are really paranoid. For goodness sake, this innovation is obviously not for the rich and powerful, it is for those that don't have accessible internet access. I wonder what an ordinary Nigerian have to give to the C.I.A, I would not subscribe to it for security reason because my mails will be accessed by anybody that comes in contact with my fones. I think facebook or twitter has something like this, I suscribed by I had to stop it because of the unneccesary notifications I was getting on my phones. Gmail really makes sense, it is more secured than Yahoo, I have a gmail account and I have never received a spam mail, Yahoo on the other hands gets double spam mails than my normals. Although, CIA/FBI espoinage is really, but I doubt if a tout or market seller has anything to loose. Now, the only way the CIA argument stands, is if you are thinking of running for a public position in the future or you are a relative of a popular person, then what you subscribe might affect you. I see a lot of people careers going down the drain in future because of all they put of on all these social network. GOOGLE SMS IS NOT FOR EVERYBODY!
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by EzePromoe: 11:55pm On Jul 18, 2012
shakomende:

http://www.cp-africa.com/2012/07/18/now-you-can-send-and-receive-your-e-mails-via-smswithout-an-internet-connection-google-launches-gmail-sms-in-nigeria-kenya-and-ghana/
There's no big deal there so far you're going to spend money again. And you'll still need a mobile phone or a PC to open or access your account, i better use my PC cause it will cost me less.
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:05am On Jul 19, 2012
neeyeeo:

I think its true, Google won a major US govt contract this year;there's no more privacy on the internet, even people with gmail acounts need to edit their privacy settings to prevent from showing some email conversations in search results. please read this: http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/01/google-wins-35-million-u-s-government-contract-over-microsoft/
cry

1 Like

Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by reportnaija(m): 12:20am On Jul 19, 2012
Hjj
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by agiboma(f): 12:24am On Jul 19, 2012
well i just signed up and tbh i was gonna buy a data plan, but now this is gonna save me money, im so excited OMG. CIA i could care less i aint hiding anything wink wink wink
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by linearity: 12:39am On Jul 19, 2012
Billyonaire: Am serious, their applets have gprs that tracks you based on googlemaps. No time to go into this bro, seriously, be careful. NOTHING FREE FROM GOOGLE, TWITTER AND FACEBOOK....They have eyes on board the international space center last I checked. Thank me later!

Chances are, your phone is already been tracked...google 'carrier IQ tracking'.

Please enjoy these simple enhancements to our way of life, because if your goal for denying yourself of all these enhancements is ability not to be tracked, you are a dollar and a day short.

If you seriously do not want to be tracked, shut your phone, destroy it and throw it away and start using pay phones on the street corner and also unplug yourself from the internet.

1 Like

Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by PeterKbaba: 12:46am On Jul 19, 2012
FACEBOOK IS BEEN USED BY THE CIA! BE WARNED AND BE WISE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sThcwmx3rs&feature=related
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by eedriyz(m): 1:10am On Jul 19, 2012
U are talking to the 419ners bah?
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by PeterKbaba: 1:16am On Jul 19, 2012
eedriyz:
No be dem blog platform u dey take blog so?

You see my pix for the site
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by KINGwax(m): 1:29am On Jul 19, 2012
Billyonaire: Am serious, their applets have gprs that tracks you based on googlemaps. No time to go into this bro, seriously, be careful. NOTHING FREE FROM GOOGLE, TWITTER AND FACEBOOK....They have eyes on board the international space center last I checked. Thank me later!
so you're what now? A thief? No? Oh, i knw, a fraudster! Cos i dnt knw how it affects me if it works directly wit FBI!
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by SisiKill1: 1:34am On Jul 19, 2012
The fear of GOOGLE is the beginning of WISDOM!!
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by donclemo(m): 3:08am On Jul 19, 2012
Bros na GPS you dey call GPRS and besides who told you cia can't track you now if they want to track you besides you are not a terrorist that they should waste their time on. If you don't want to be tracked the best thing to do is take that your blackberry phone remove the battery and burry the phone under the ground and stay off the internet maybe go to one village in the North i bet you nobody would be able to track you. Lastly close you bank account or begin to use cash or maybe trade by batter would be fine.

1 Like

Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by iKoksi(m): 4:12am On Jul 19, 2012
why shd we be afraid of d cia?
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Pacemaker: 4:34am On Jul 19, 2012
Billyonaire: The question should be, each time you tell your girlfriend I love you on phone, does anyone else hear you apart from you and your girl ? Dont know Beaf though, I love his explanatory notes on N'land.

You have spoken like a typical Nigerian,why do you people like exagerating or love blowing rumours out of proportion? Do you think American government will spend their resource to monitor your activity online?I hope you know that most modern cars require diagnosis before undergoing repair?In other for you to see the result the data has to be transmitted,that means that same car where about can be tracked from the US. Do you think the cars you guys drive in Nigeria are not bugged ? Do you know that your cell phone,TV, laptop and other device with wifi or 3g capability you guys use in Nigeria are bugged? I did my university internship in General Dynamics in California,You have to be an American citizen to work there and I can tell you that from what I saw, nothing under the sky is secret.In clussion, your MTN scracth card has chips that can give you away in less than ten seconds and what ever tabloid wikileak guy released is a public secret and there ain't nothing sensitive in it.

1 Like

Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:37am On Jul 19, 2012
You guys need to read on PIPA and SOPA!!!
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Pacemaker: 4:41am On Jul 19, 2012
Billyonaire: Am smarter than Al Awlaki.
The ATM mastercard you guys use,the photo copy machine you use to make copies,your video camera and your international passport can be used to monitor anyone that is considered a national threat. You can't say you want to go baack to ice age because your privacy has been breached
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Nicklee(m): 4:58am On Jul 19, 2012
This service is not exactly as free as y'all think. Initially, you're granted a credit of fifty messages. Every time you send a message, your credit decreases by one. Every time you receive an SMS message in Chat (for example when a phone user replies to one of your messages) your credit increases by five, up to a maximum of 50. If your SMS credit goes down to zero at any point, it will increase back up to one 24 hours later. So, you won't ever be locked out of the system.
"Buying" additional messages: Keep in mind that if you'd like a higher message credit, you can always send an SMS to your own phone, and then reply to that message multiple times. Every time you send a reply message, your SMS credit is increased by five. Effectively, you're buying more messages by paying your phone company for these outgoing messages.

So, if you send 50 messages without getting a reply, you are effectively down to 1 SMS per 24 hrs unless you buy more credit by SMS'ing yourself from your own phone. However, you pay your local service provider for this. Anyways, this is probably where MTN, Glo etc hope to make their money from the relationship with google

1 Like

Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Chanchit: 5:53am On Jul 19, 2012
As it stands, whatsapp is still better, buh i would be needing it, when the internet is down sha...
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by richkids1(m): 6:12am On Jul 19, 2012
I have started using it now...great
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by ajaniade1: 6:13am On Jul 19, 2012
SAY GOODBYE TO BLACKBERRY PIN CHAT....FINALLY THE CRAZE FOR BB GO END....YA''L MOVE US BLACK NAIJA A### TO ANDRIOD O JARE
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Ivynwa(f): 6:29am On Jul 19, 2012
@Shakomende
Thanks for enlightening us brother.

While we are getting excited about it, let us not forget that nothing is hidden in the internet. All these stuffs we do in the net are open to smart alecs out there so we must be careful about the extent of usage and the info we throw out in the open. I am sure that when the internet came into existence and everybody got on the bandwagon of the internet that while people like the yahoo yahoo boys were happily saying "Thank God for the internet" that the innovators especially the US smart alecs(internet wizard and internet security experts) were happily smilng and saying "Now we've got the world in our pocket pc".grin

Google wan make us hide our faces in shame in bringing down all these techs to our country and making sweet money out of us. They sure know that "Ain't no market like the Nigerian market". I mean they realized our financial potential and are cashing in on us. Where is Oga Seun and his fellow programmers/computer gurus make una follow teach me programming and coding/website designing etc, wetin! I overheard una talking about females and coding/programming the other day & quietly waka my way. I keep postponing putting good interest in them things and starting some and not going to great lengths with it----how google go dey shame us like this? Jeez!

1 Like

Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by deor03(m): 6:33am On Jul 19, 2012
Well, it not really new. I have been using it for some months.
Easy to you. Yoh are alloted free 50 sms, and a reply fetches you a refill of 5 sms

The drawback is that you need to introduce yourself to the recipient of the sms.
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by emsquare(m): 6:33am On Jul 19, 2012
HQ: Hmmm, Anyone confirm if this will work with Google Chat?

Nope!
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by emsquare(m): 6:34am On Jul 19, 2012
ZUBY77: I am heading back to my village. This is getting out of hand.

LOL!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

VSAT in Nigeria / How To Fix Window 7 Error “TFGHT Is Missing” / What's Your Budget? Let's Help You Get A PC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.