Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,921 members, 7,817,697 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:32 PM

Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria (13077 Views)

Sending Executable Files Through Gmail / Google Launches A Crazy 1000Mbps Fibre Internet Connection! / Send Sms From Your Gmail Account To Any Cell Phone Anywhere! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by yommy2sure(m): 6:35am On Jul 19, 2012
Will I still be able to access my attachments and download them wen I get the sms? If No....no need for me shha...but its a +
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:52am On Jul 19, 2012
Waiting for yahoo to do the same
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Ignatio(m): 7:05am On Jul 19, 2012
This has been existing for over two months now. I tried using it then but didn't cos of the price (N150).
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by JideTheBlogger(m): 7:11am On Jul 19, 2012
Nice one there, though it is less secure and less reliable.

1 Like

Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Euroclydon(m): 7:14am On Jul 19, 2012
Globalization in expansion...I see sinister intentions budding.
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by jude33084(m): 7:16am On Jul 19, 2012
yommy2sure: Will I still be able to access my attachments and download them wen I get the sms? If No....no need for me shha...but its a +

ƍöôϑ question ♍♈ brother cool

άț is email if O̶̲̥̅̊nE̶̲̥̅̊ can't attach ∂ file to it wink
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 7:17am On Jul 19, 2012
Euroclydon: Globalization in expansion...I see sinister intentions budding.
What sinister intentions?

@topic
This is a good development.
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Bawss1(m): 7:18am On Jul 19, 2012
See how conspiracy theorists on this thread are spreading FUD as though there was some prize to be won.

Anyone who does not like Google's innovation should not use is. Simple. Enough of this CIA, FBI and Space Center rubbish!
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:24am On Jul 19, 2012
Kudos to you Google. You are the best. Keep reigning. Keep innovating.
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by hotwax: 8:31am On Jul 19, 2012
Hmmm, Anyone confirm if this will work with Google Chat?

I have been using this for the past 4 months. I dont know why this is news again.
And it made front page

1 Like

Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by adewasco2k(m): 8:34am On Jul 19, 2012
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by adewasco2k(m): 8:37am On Jul 19, 2012
hotwax:

I have been using this for the past 4 months. I dont know why this is news again.
And it made front page

i have been sending free sms via Gmail to for like 4months, but this seems to be different...here you will receive your emails on your phone like a text message.
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by luluosas(m): 9:12am On Jul 19, 2012
HQ: Hmmm, Anyone confirm if this will work with Google Chat?
Yes, I have used the Google chat sms before on my Glo line. I am sure this will not stop the Google chat sms.
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by mrperfect(m): 9:21am On Jul 19, 2012
Ok, let see how it goes.
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by omodapson(m): 9:31am On Jul 19, 2012
I would not advise anyone to subscribe to the feature. My 2 cents.
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by docjuli(m): 10:12am On Jul 19, 2012
echibuzor: i tried and i got bounced around.. any person done it? pls enlighten pls....

Have been using here in 9ja for some months now. It works very well.
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Pukkah: 10:33am On Jul 19, 2012
omodapson: I would not advise anyone to subscribe to the feature. My 2 cents.

What are your reasons?
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by rareman(m): 10:36am On Jul 19, 2012
make google no try this thing, they wan kill d bulk sms biz, Shey na everything dey wan do?
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by MisterMan(m): 11:27am On Jul 19, 2012
I just coudn't go through some of the useless things people post. It is so absurd. From scanning through some of the things some people write, it shows they have used it before or they have read something about it and they understand it.
Nicklee: This service is not exactly as free as y'all think. Initially, you're granted a credit of fifty messages. Every time you send a message, your credit decreases by one. Every time you receive an SMS message in Chat (for example when a phone user replies to one of your messages) your credit increases by five, up to a maximum of 50. If your SMS credit goes down to zero at any point, it will increase back up to one 24 hours later. So, you won't ever be locked out of the system.
"Buying" additional messages: Keep in mind that if you'd like a higher message credit, you can always send an SMS to your own phone, and then reply to that message multiple times. Every time you send a reply message, your SMS credit is increased by five. Effectively, you're buying more messages by paying your phone company for these outgoing messages.

So, if you send 50 messages without getting a reply, you are effectively down to 1 SMS per 24 hrs unless you buy more credit by SMS'ing yourself from your own phone. However, you pay your local service provider for this. Anyways, this is probably where MTN, Glo etc hope to make their money from the relationship with google
Honestly, I don't think this should make the front page. I tried it and it worked flawlessly, and this was about 2 MONTHS ago. It is not as if it was RECENTLY released. For any message you send, the recipient receives 2 messages, the first one is about the message you sent. The second message is automatically sent by Google, explaining how you can reply. All these CIA and FBIs stuffs just don't get it. It is from immature and uninformed minds.

By the way, I used to have high opinion of Nairaland (Really I still do) but most commentaries these days do come from immature toddlers

rareman: make google no try this thing, they wan kill d bulk sms biz, Shey na everything dey wan do?
I still feel bulk SMS has its place. There is a service that I will soon be launching. Google SMS will not do. In this case, I need to write a code that will do this messaging. There was a time I was considering sending mass mail to all those people that registered applicants for the last JAMB exam. That is a perfect example of where Google SMS would have been ideal.

adewasco2k:

i have been sending free sms via Gmail to for like 4months, but this seems to be different..
Thank you. I have even written my take on it before I saw your post. This is OLD NEWS
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by surveycash(m): 11:57am On Jul 19, 2012
Hmmm, I know Google is thinking Google SMSense. They can now send you paid advertisement to your phones. Hmmmn, good thinking, good product
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by WebsiteDesigner: 12:33pm On Jul 19, 2012
Great app
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by oladayo042: 1:41pm On Jul 19, 2012
Nice one
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Sammyfemy: 4:11pm On Jul 19, 2012
babarazy: Interesting.
why won't it be interesting when it is cheap. 9ja I hail thee
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Walexz02(m): 5:36pm On Jul 19, 2012
Ds google sha!cheesy
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Ivynwa(f): 7:17pm On Jul 19, 2012
MisterMan: I just coudn't go through some of the useless things people post. It is so absurd. From scanning through some of the things some people write, it shows they have used it before or they have read something about it and they understand it.

Honestly, I don't think this should make the front page. I tried it and it worked flawlessly, and this was about 2 MONTHS ago. It is not as if it was RECENTLY released. For any message you send, the recipient receives 2 messages, the first one is about the message you sent. The second message is automatically sent by Google, explaining how you can reply. All these CIA and FBIs stuffs just don't get it. It is from immature and uninformed minds.

By the way, I used to have high opinion of Nairaland (Really I still do) but most commentaries these days do come from immature toddlers

I still feel bulk SMS has its place. There is a service that I will soon be launching. Google SMS will not do. In this case, I need to write a code that will do this messaging. There was a time I was considering sending mass mail to all those people that registered applicants for the last JAMB exam. That is a perfect example of where Google SMS would have been ideal.

Thank you. I have even written my take on it before I saw your post. This is OLD NEWS

Mister what are you on about and acting up about. You know to write codes and programming and how come you don't know that info in the internet is not as hidden as many people think.If people are saying CIA,FBI blah blah blah they are not totally wrong because we all know the extent these orgs go to get their info so they are not wrong, not that one should not use these techs because of fear of that just for one to be careful what one throws out there.

Did you say that you are going to write us a code that can be doing this messaging? Hurry up and get on with it, your kind are people we need to save our face from the shame of companies like google cashing in on us while we sit and look.

Did you say that this is old news? You don't have to hang your shoulder up on it sweetie, why didn't you inform others like the poster is doing. Some of us get busy with the hustle of life and do not know when beautiful techs are around the corner so be a gent and chill and let others inform all about it. You don't have to act up and swag up like-----Whew, this is old news, you guys are so 20-behind". Now smile for me and be a good boy grin grin. I await that great code of yours that you are writing for us. Go Mister!
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by deb(m): 7:45am On Jul 20, 2012
All these internet and social media companies just want to have every detail of our lives in their database. "Throw something 'free' at them, then we get their details. That is the plan"
Fork google *hisses
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by mrjenkins: 11:14am On Jul 20, 2012
Would it not be nice if we can specify who we would like to receive email text messages from? I certainly do not want all mails sent to my phone! That will be a bit distracting. I have set it up. Let me see how it works grin
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Milliondollar: 6:07pm On Aug 09, 2012
Abeg fellow nairalist make wuna no join most of dx services. If u join 'ur privacy will be a stake pls. I dey beg wuna fellow nigerians. Dx pple are enemies of progress
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by onyfrank: 6:34pm On Aug 09, 2012
What of junk mails, will they appear 2? Junk mails 2 dy ful ma box

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

VSAT in Nigeria / How To Fix Window 7 Error “TFGHT Is Missing” / What's Your Budget? Let's Help You Get A PC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.