Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,475 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:34 PM

Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died (1920 Views)

PMB Embarrasses Nigerians Again / NO LIGHT NO FUEL: A Payback To 2015 Election Loss / Nigerians Again: NYC Temp Accused Of Stealing Identities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jul 20, 2012
Port Harcourt - Residents of a Nigerian state raced to scoop fuel from damaged oil tankers on Friday, a week after more than 100 people in the area were burnt to death while doing the same thing.

After a tanker overturned last week in the southern Rivers state, hundreds rushed to the scene to collect the spilling fuel. At least 104 died when the crash site caught fire.

On Friday, five petrol tankers were involved in an accident in Rivers state's Eneka area and residents again "rushed to the scene to scoop fuel, but were forcefully stopped" by the military, said Yushau Shuaib, spokesperson for the National Emergency Management Agency.

The head of the agency's operations in the area, Emenike Umesi, said the repeat behaviour a week after a major catastrophe was extremely worrying.

"Especially because of the fact that I have been on air every day of the week talking about how dangerous this is," Umesi told AFP.

He rejected the notion that poverty in a country where most people live on less than $2 a day led residents to take such risks.

"Some of the people who died in the last incident owned shops. Some had cows.... If you are the kind of person who can own a shop and take care of himself there is no reason for you to engage in this behaviour," he said.

"It's not poverty. The problem is attitude. People like to take what does not belong to them."

Dozens were also injured in the fire last week, which Rivers Governor Chibuike Amaechi called "an avoidable tragedy".

http://www.news24.com/Africa/News/Tanker-crash-Nigerians-again-rush-for-fuel-20120720
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jul 20, 2012
we no dey ever learn! embarassed embarassed
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jul 20, 2012
If I ever hear that ''less than $2 dollar'' a day LIE again I will curse the family of whoever makes that claim.
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jul 20, 2012
The army should have left them to steal that fuel so it explodes again in their faces. Dumb, thieving idiots. Greed will be our undoing in this country.
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jul 20, 2012

"Some of the people who died in the last incident owned shops. Some had cows.... If you are the kind of person who can own a shop and take care of himself there is no reason for you to engage in this behaviour," he said.

there is just one reason - GREED!

"It's not poverty. The problem is attitude. People like to take what does not belong to them."

Its not attitude my bruv - its still the same disease that our politicians are suffering - GREED!

Thats why the thieves at national assembly never get tired of stealing more money!

that is why our dearest DAME with the current portfolio of first lady, still accepts perm sec position!

That is why people like OBJ own lands that is as big as city!

2 Likes

Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by jmaine: 7:25pm On Jul 20, 2012
ROSSIKE: If I ever hear that ''less than $2 dollar'' a day LIE again I will curse the family of whoever makes that claim.

You dey mind them . . . .
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jul 20, 2012
This is a proof that our problem in this country is not strictly a leadership or followership problem, but the problem is us.

Any one that sincerely wants to change our country will always encounter opposition from the people who are also the leaders.
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Dsage1: 8:59pm On Jul 20, 2012
virtuoso01: This is a proof that our problem in this country is not strictly a leadership or followership problem, but the problem is us.

Any one that sincerely wants to change our country will always encounter opposition from the people who are also the leaders.

What do you expect from poverty stricken citizens like ours? These people shouldn't be solely blamed because if everything were put in place by our silly government,they might not have rushed to what could took their life.
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by manny4life(m): 11:03pm On Jul 20, 2012
Nigerians NEVER learn...
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Digriz(m): 11:15pm On Jul 20, 2012
Greed is our problem even in d midst of plenty it wl stil be living wt us.
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Mandelaguy(m): 11:26pm On Jul 20, 2012
Digriz: Greed is our problem even in d midst of plenty it wl stil be living wt us.
Greed,chai,genetic greed....that is our problem,grabbing everything,even when we have fair more than what we are grabbing.
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by savcy(m): 12:44am On Jul 21, 2012
virtuoso01: This is a proof that our problem in this country is not strictly a leadership or followership problem, but the problem is us.

Who then is the problem?? The sun and moon?

Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by savcy(m): 12:52am On Jul 21, 2012
Digriz: Greed is our problem even in d midst of plenty it wl stil be living wt us.

angry Hav u eva slept wit notin in d stomach and hopeles of 2moro? Hav u tried getting medical attention and u were told
to deposit 30,000 wen u barely hav 1000? If u hav,then u'll undastand why inspite of recent happening pple wil always run 2a fallen tanker 2 scoop. And that the evryday Nigerian living is a huge risk in itself. Aside tanker inferno ,gues how many pple die each day in Nigeria due to avoidable circumstances. Leave dat cozy loft of urs and go into d ruins called villages nd see what pple are going thru. Crass govt!
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Nobody: 7:16am On Jul 21, 2012
a discorvery has just been made! The problem of Nigeria is GREED!

1 Like

Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Kobojunkie: 7:35am On Jul 21, 2012
^^ More like lack of information. I think what we have here is clear evidence that the people are not informed on what is happening and what has happened in recent times. There is no way anyone can convince me that these people here heard of what happened last week but still made the decision to go scoop fuel. I would dare say it is impossible that anyone who heard of last weeks disaster was involved in this. With no electricity, and next to no access to news of what is going on, it is possible that those who died in this accident did not know of last weeks incident.
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Enoquin(f): 7:59am On Jul 21, 2012
Kobojunkie: ^^ More like lack of information. I think what we have here is clear evidence that the people are not informed on what is happening and what has happened in recent times. There is no way anyone can convince me that these people here heard of what happened last week but still made the decision to go scoop fuel. I would dare say it is impossible that anyone who heard of last weeks disaster was involved in this. With no electricity, and next to no access to news of what is going on, it is possible that those who died in this accident did not know of last weeks incident.

I beg to disagree! Information is not only disseminated through the media only, it is also by word of mouth moreso bad news which spreads faster.
Last week's incidence happened in Rivers. Traders and fellow commuters are usually the set of people that spread news even most times distorting the news to spice it up the more. So, I disagree that they didn't have the information...it is more of attitude and greed.
What an average person will likely say after hearing of that kind of disaster is 'hmm...na only God dey protect person' with a conscious self-pity not 'that is totally wrong' or anything about correcting that attitude, so when something similar happens again, all thoughts of God and previous examples are thrown out the window, the prevailing thought is 'how much I go make for any fuel wey I see scoop?'
This is the fuel that they might still adulterate before selling it to black market.

1 Like

Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Kobojunkie: 8:36am On Jul 21, 2012
Enoquin:

I beg to disagree! Information is not only disseminated through the media only, it is also by word of mouth moreso bad news which spreads faster.
Last week's incidence happened in Rivers. Traders and fellow commuters are usually the set of people that spread news even most times distorting the news to spice it up the more. So, I disagree that they didn't have the information...it is more of attitude and greed.
What an average person will likely say after hearing of that kind of disaster is 'hmm...na only God dey protect person' with a conscious self-pity not 'that is totally wrong' or anything about correcting that attitude, so when something similar happens again, all thoughts of God and previous examples are thrown out the window, the prevailing thought is 'how much I go make for any fuel wey I see scoop?'
This is the fuel that they might still adulterate before selling it to black market.

It is quite easy to sit in front of your computer, with your radio going off in a corner and your tv playing in the background, and think that definitely there are no people out there who do not have access to at least 1/3rd of what you have access to.
You say news must have been spread by traders and commuters, but you fail to consider that news disseminated in that manner takes time to reach the people that need it, and this could mean days, even weeks.
I do believe those who probably rushed out today were among those who the news has yet to spread to. I don't see how a mother could send her child or even self into this after hearing that less than a week ago almost 100 people were burnt to crisp in a similar accident.
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Enoquin(f): 10:48am On Jul 21, 2012
Kobojunkie:

It is quite easy to sit in front of your computer, with your radio going off in a corner and your tv playing in the background, and think that definitely there are no people out there who do not have access to at least 1/3rd of what you have access to.
You say news must have been spread by traders and commuters, but you fail to consider that news disseminated in that manner takes time to reach the people that need it, and this could mean days, even weeks.
I do believe those who probably rushed out today were among those who the news has yet to spread to. I don't see how a mother could send her child or even self into this after hearing that less than a week ago almost 100 people were burnt to crisp in a similar accident.

When I begged to disagree, I did that considering all factors. You claim I write from not actually knowing or seeing...you are entitled to your opinion but I have heard all sorts of news from the market...especially from male traders, sometimes I know what's happening in Uyo when I board a public transport so I am not just sitting behind my computer (in this case - phone) to type...I know what I am saying.
Again information is dispersed mostly through word of mouth...you don't even need electricity to listen to radios in the rural parts, you need batteries...just one person is needed to even own a radio in let's say a small village but all the villagers will know about any tragic news on...how? The radio owner will want to pass the information on not because he cares but because he wants to be the first to pass the info and so it starts with whoever comes to visit him. That person goes along the way and sees someone else, after greeting each other and asking about each other's families...they proceed to say what they have just heard...that is the rural life...
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by misterh(m): 10:49am On Jul 21, 2012
No other word fits but GREED! I'm sure most of them criticise the govt on corruption but the next minute, they were rushing to scoop something that doesn't belong to them. Leadership emerges from the followership.
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Nobody: 10:55am On Jul 21, 2012
How I wish that petrol had caught fire and burn these greedy people to ashes.people just dont learn at all.
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by redsun(m): 11:05am On Jul 21, 2012
Di.ckheads.Suffer truly dabaru sense.

It is the duty of the rogue emergency service to keep the goats from crash scene,but even the plolice and fire brigade personnels may be among those scavenging for the fuel.
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Nobody: 11:15am On Jul 21, 2012
Kobojunkie: ^^ More like lack of information. I think what we have here is clear evidence that the people are not informed on what is happening and what has happened in recent times. There is no way anyone can convince me that these people here heard of what happened last week but still made the decision to go scoop fuel. I would dare say it is impossible that anyone who heard of last weeks disaster was involved in this. With no electricity, and next to no access to news of what is going on, it is possible that those who died in this accident did not know of last weeks incident.
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Nobody: 11:28am On Jul 21, 2012

Lack of information my foot. More like lack of education.

Radios, newspapers, word of mouth . . . These medium of communication is the most common among the poor masses today. If they didn't get the news from the radio or papers, they'll surely recieve it from someone who listened to radio or read the papers. It is impossible that these idiòts are totally ignorant of the fact that a similar accident occured recently in the same state and lives were lost.
This is nothing but petty greed, stupìdity and lack of proper education.

1 Like

Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jul 21, 2012
Kobojunkie:

my frend, are u n dis country @all? every dammned person nthis country s greedy! house-wifes, farmers, traders, school-boy and girl. everybdy wants t live like a king when they are actualy nt working like a king!
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Kobojunkie: 3:04pm On Jul 21, 2012
Enoquin:

When I begged to disagree, I did that considering all factors. You claim I write from not actually knowing or seeing...you are entitled to your opinion but I have heard all sorts of news from the market...especially from male traders, sometimes I know what's happening in Uyo when I board a public transport so I am not just sitting behind my computer (in this case - phone) to type...I know what I am saying.
Again information is dispersed mostly through word of mouth...you don't even need electricity to listen to radios in the rural parts, you need batteries...just one person is needed to even own a radio in let's say a small village but all the villagers will know about any tragic news on...how? The radio owner will want to pass the information on not because he cares but because he wants to be the first to pass the info and so it starts with whoever comes to visit him. That person goes along the way and sees someone else, after greeting each other and asking about each other's families...they proceed to say what they have just heard...that is the rural life...

Like I said . . .
Kobojunkie:

This is not the first time I have considered the matter of information dissemination in Nigeria. I don't believe word of mouth is as effective as you make it out to be, and I certainly do not believe everyone who has a radio has it turned on out there. For pete's sake I used to live in that same Nigeria. The same Nigeria where even Fela himself, with all his word of mouth, could not get people to see the truth of what he was saying. Not until some of us actually got access to all the information where we able to realize what the man had been saying all the while.
Back when I stayed full-time in Nigeria, we never really used our battery-powered radio much because we just never did. And word of mouth for source of information? I can't even remember getting any reliable news from anyone back then.
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jul 21, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Like I said . . .

This is not the first time I have considered the matter of information dissemination in Nigeria. I don't believe word of mouth is as effective as you make it out to be, and I certainly do not believe everyone who has a radio has it turned on out there. For pete's sake I used to live in that same Nigeria. The same Nigeria where even Fela himself, with all his word of mouth, could not get people to see the truth of what he was saying. Not until some of us actually got access to all the information where we able to realize what the man had been saying all the while.
Back when I stayed full-time in Nigeria, we never really used our battery-powered radio much because we just never did. And word of mouth for source of information? I can't even remember getting any reliable news from anyone back then.
. Madam, I get your drift. But what you are overlooking is the motivating power of strong Greed. When it operates in a person, all forms of common sense is lost and logical reasoning disappears. This Greeds blinds people to reason. That's why Armed Robbers won't desist even though their peers were caught Last week and most of the gang died during a shoot out with the police. That's why Farouk Lawan would proceed to Otedola's House even though Otedola initiated the bribe and Lawan should have been calling the shots.I could go on and on. My point is that's why many nonsensical attitudes and behaviours are exhibited by people who in their right senses would never contemplate such things. It is what it is. GREED.
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Kobojunkie: 4:38pm On Jul 21, 2012
Donxavier: . Madam, I get your drift. But what you are overlooking is the motivating power of strong Greed. When it operates in a person, all forms of common sense is lost and logical reasoning disappears. This Greeds blinds people to reason. That's why Armed Robbers won't desist even though their peers were caught Last week and most of the gang died during a shoot out with the police. That's why Farouk Lawan would proceed to Otedola's House even though Otedola initiated the bribe and Lawan should have been calling the shots.I could go on and on. My point is that's why many nonsensical attitudes and behaviours are exhibited by people who in their right senses would never contemplate such things. It is what it is. GREED.

I am not overlooking what you consider the motivating factor. Every human being has it -- some more than others. However, every human also understands that greed at the end of the day depends on people living beyond the experience to eat of the results.

Majority of those who died where poor people, not your lawans and otedolas, who don't even have to risk their lives in anyway to satisfy their individual greed which probably outweighs those of the dead here all put together. Let's not now try to belittle the situation by claiming it all has to do with greed.
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jul 21, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I am not overlooking what you consider the motivating factor. Every human being has it -- some more than others. However, every human also understands that greed at the end of the day depends on people living beyond the experience to eat of the results.

Majority of those who died where poor people, not your lawans and otedolas, who don't even have to risk their lives in anyway to satisfy their individual greed which probably outweighs those of the dead here all put together. Let's not now try to belittle the situation by claiming it all has to do with greed.
. Ok. So are you saying some who attempted to scoop the fuel didn't hear about Last week's incident?
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Kobojunkie: 5:10pm On Jul 21, 2012
Donxavier: . Ok. So are you saying some who attempted to scoop the fuel didn't hear about Last week's incident?

There is more to simply hearing a story of a fire some miles away where almost 100 people were burnt to death. For all we know, some of these probably heard that story but with a different twist to it. Someone may have added a bit to the story to explain away the reason for the fire.

Last weeks accident was not the first fuel tanker accident in over 6 years in Nigeria. The unique side of what happened last week was that those who went to get the fuel got burnt to death . . why? Well, anyone could easily add a side story (fake or not) of an akara fire, not too far from the accident, being the cause of the blaze. And this is what typically happens with word-of-mouth form of communication, to story that gets to the other end is generally not the original story.
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jul 21, 2012
Its called "get rich or die trying" cool
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jul 21, 2012
greateros:

there is just one reason - GREED!

Its not attitude my bruv - its still the same disease that our politicians are suffering - GREED!

Thats why the thieves at national assembly never get tired of stealing more money!

that is why our dearest DAME with the current portfolio of first lady, still accepts perm sec position!

That is why people like OBJ own lands that is as big as city!

Yes Bro, greed is a huge factor but I also believe stupidity plays a crucial part here.
Will you jump into the ocean simply because you saw a school of tuna?
Re: Tanker Crash: Nigerians Again Rush For Fuel A Week After More Than 100 Died by Enoquin(f): 8:36pm On Jul 21, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Like I said . . .

'Used to' is the operational word I believe. I am sure you stayed in Lagos or Abuja. I have lived in Lagos almost all my life and I used to think that the people living in the south south and others were living in the stone age...I have been proven wrong.
I am no more in Lagos (at least for now), I can only talk on what I see...and all I have said is what I have seen and observed. I have been to the village too and I have seen that although they may live different lives, they are not cut off from the world as we might like to believe...
BTW I don't even own a radio...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Disgusting Quote I Read Today / EFCC Arrest Nigerian Man For Duping 75 Year Old Dutch Woman Of €200k / Analysing The Gej Movie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.