Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,028 members, 7,956,819 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 07:54 PM

Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? (2068 Views)

Righteousness Of The Laws Of Moses Vs Righteousness Of Grace Of Christ By Faith / Understanding The "Grace Of God" And The "Gospel Of Grace" / Pre-Marital Sex Is Not Fornication (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by jmoore(m): 1:56pm On Jul 21, 2012
Does it really takes the grace of God for one not to indulge in premarital sex(fornication)/adultery?

Whenever I raise this topic of "no sex before marriage" you hear some folks especially those who are into premarital sex or have done it in the past saying "it takes the grace of God not to fall into it". I think they are trying to console themselves and indirectly blaming God.

The grace of God is meant for forgiveness of sins.

If it takes the grace of God for us not to commit fornication/adultery, then that should apply to other sins like murder,lying, stealing etc

Some folks make silly decisions and try to blame God for it by using "It takes the grace of God for one to abstain"
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by cyrexx: 7:02pm On Jul 21, 2012
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by truthislight: 7:23pm On Jul 21, 2012
jmoore: Does it really takes the grace of God for one not to indulge in premarital sex(fornication)/adultery?

Whenever I raise this topic of "no sex before marriage" you hear some folks especially those who are into premarital sex or have done it in the past saying "it takes the grace of God not to fall into it". I think they are trying to console themselves and indirectly blaming God.

If it takes the grace of God for us not to commit fornication/adultery, then that should apply to other sins like murder,lying, stealing etc

Some folks make silly decisions and try to blame God for it by using "It takes the grace of God for one to abstain"
Hmmm!
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by Delafruita(m): 7:51pm On Jul 21, 2012
first,its called s.ex.
religion gave it adjectives.
therez a misconcepttion that only religious people can be morally upright.it doesnt take the grace of god,it takes having the right reasons not to do such.the right reason is simple "what goes around comes around".
P.S. my analogy is based on "adultery"
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by tpia5: 4:53am On Jul 22, 2012
yes, it does.

@ topic
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by Gloriagee(f): 12:30pm On Jul 22, 2012
Agree

tpia@:
yes, it does.

@ topic

Yes, it's purely by grace...somewhere in Romans (I think tongue), Paul says the good I'd like to do, I find myself not doing n vice versa. N there's this other verse - for by grace r we saved not by works lest anyman shd boast. Rememba, in Hebrews there's smthg called besetting sins, so if fornication is a besetting sin, it might take the grace of God to overcome but it can be overcome.
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by tpia5: 2:52pm On Jul 22, 2012
well said.

its not eaay- whoever said it is, has no idea or is deliberately being misleading.

but for the grace of God.
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by truthislight: 3:31pm On Jul 22, 2012
tpia@:
well said.

its not eaay- whoever said it is, has no idea or is deliberately being misleading.

but for the grace of God.
Wow!
U are a randy guy.
Lol.
Anyway. Any one that works for u, good, its a dangerous endeavour.
God cant help u if u are not convince that it is bad.
Will he force u?
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by jmoore(m): 6:31pm On Jul 22, 2012
Gloriagee: Agree

Yes, it's purely by grace...somewhere in Romans (I think tongue), Paul says the good I'd like to do, I find myself not doing n vice versa. N there's this other verse - for by grace r we saved not by works lest anyman shd boast. Rememba, in Hebrews there's smthg called besetting sins, so if fornication is a besetting sin, it might take the grace of God to overcome but it can be overcome.

How some people use another quote to explain another!!! This is not about salvation
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by Gloriagee(f): 6:58pm On Jul 22, 2012
@ jmoore - Not sure, what ur point is, kindly clarify

It takes d grace of God for one to be saved from sin - murder, fornication etc. I get ur point that some peeps make excuses, true. Howeva, I still believe that it takes the grace of God for one not to commit sin (pre/post marital sex affairs, lying etc). My point is that every1 has a weakness - Moses' was anger, Solomon's was women. It would take the special grace of God for Solomon not to have been adulterous. I'm talking about christians who really want to b in God's gd books n not those lip - servicing.
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by EvilBrain1(m): 11:01pm On Jul 22, 2012
You don't need god to do anything. There are plenty of married atheists, muslims, buddhists, mormons, pagans, wiccans and devil worshippers who are able to remain faithful to their spouses without any divine assistance. OP seems to be suffering from the "my religion is right and everyone who doesn't follow it must be a sinner" delusion.

Having said that, as an atheist, I don't believe that "fornication" aka sex before marriage is wrong as long as you do it responsibly. If you practice safe sex (condoms every single time), treat your partners with respect, don't screw around on them, don't lie to them just to get them into bed, and you handle your business if your girlfriend gets pregnant, then you're okay from a moral point of view. On the other hand, if you're telling a girl that she's the only one for you and that you're going to marry her while simultaneously banging someone else on the side then you're as bad as any adulterer.

The idea that two mature, consenting adults can't have sex just because they don't have a local government kpali sounds ridiculous to me. So does the notion that I need a pastor or imam (or the invisible, undetectable being they claim to represent) to validate the a relationship based on love and respect between me and my babe.
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jul 22, 2012
Evil Brain: You don't need god to do anything. There are plenty of married atheists, muslims, buddhists, mormons, pagans, wiccans and devil worshippers who are able to remain faithful to their spouses without any divine assistance. OP seems to be suffering from the "my religion is right and everyone who doesn't follow it must be a sinner" delusion.

Having said that, as an atheist, I don't believe that "fornication" aka sex before marriage is wrong as long as you do it responsibly. If you practice safe sex (condoms every single time), treat your partners with respect, don't screw around on them, don't lie to them just to get them into bed, and you handle your business if your girlfriend gets pregnant, then you're okay from a moral point of view. On the other hand, if you're telling a girl that she's the only one for you and that you're going to marry her while simultaneously banging someone else on the side then you're as bad as any adulterer.

The idea that two mature, consenting adults can't have sex just because they don't have a local government kpali sounds ridiculous to me. So does the notion that I need a pastor or imam (or the invisible, undetectable being they claim to represent) to validate the a relationship based on love and respect between me and my babe.

Well said.
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by tpia5: 1:15am On Jul 23, 2012
Gloriagee: @ jmoore - Not sure, what ur point is, kindly clarify

It takes d grace of God for one to be saved from sin - murder, fornication etc. I get ur point that some peeps make excuses, true. Howeva, I still believe that it takes the grace of God for one not to commit sin (pre/post marital sex affairs, lying etc). My point is that every1 has a weakness - Moses' was anger, Solomon's was women. It would take the special grace of God for Solomon not to have been adulterous. I'm talking about christians who really want to b in God's gd books n not those lip - servicing.

i have very little to add to this. You've said it all.
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by tpia5: 1:18am On Jul 23, 2012
@ topic

2 cor 12

for my strength is made perfect in weakness

knowing you have a weakness which you need God's strength to overcome, is essential when it comes to such things.
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by Wasbayd: 2:45am On Jul 23, 2012
tpia@:
@ topic

2 cor 12

knowing you have a weakness which you need God's strength to overcome, is essential when it comes to such things.

Grace! Grace!! God's Grace!!! Grace that will pardon and cleanse within.... Grace that is greater than all our sin.
As for me I live because of the mercy I receive and his grace upon my life, not because I know how to keep myself from commiting sins. Grace is the umbrella that covers me. Lord I thank you for making me one of those in Romans 9:15.
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by Wasbayd: 2:50am On Jul 23, 2012
We do away from commiting fornication, adultery or any other form of sin in order to make the already existing grace in our lives to abound. As that verse says "We cant live in sin and say grace should abound".
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by tpia5: 3:05am On Jul 23, 2012
As for me I live because of the mercy I receive and his grace upon my life, not because I know how to keep myself from commiting sins

thank you.

nice to see intelligent posts on nl once in a while.
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by truthislight: 9:40am On Jul 23, 2012
Wasbayd:

Grace! Grace!! God's Grace!!! Grace that will pardon and cleanse within.... Grace that is greater than all our sin.
As for me I live because of the mercy I receive and his grace upon my life, not because I know how to keep myself from commiting sins. Grace is the umbrella that covers me. Lord I thank you for making me one of those in Romans 9:15.

Using grace the way u are doing = error.

That is why the apostle paul ask.
Does the fact that we are living in "Grace" mean that we should continue in sin so that grace may abound?

God forbid he answered.
And added: Never may the undeserve kindness of God be taken as an excuse for loose conduct.

guy watch ur self, sit up.
It is very possible not to engage in fornication.
Develope the right reason that will help u see the danger inherent in it, that will help u understand the reason for the law and know that Gods laws dont have side effects and cannot disappoint you.

I hear people saying that what can give you bacterial infection and Hiv com AIDS is enjoyment.
Then get married.
Baby talk.
Peace
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by oiseworld: 4:54pm On Jul 23, 2012
Evil Brain: You don't need god to do anything. There are plenty of married atheists, muslims, buddhists, mormons, pagans, wiccans and devil worshippers who are able to remain faithful to their spouses without any divine assistance. OP seems to be suffering from the "my religion is right and everyone who doesn't follow it must be a sinner" delusion.

you veryyyyyy wrong.
Sex before marraige is wrong and not moral. Nomatter the amount of love that exists between you two.
If after series of sex you end up not marring her so What happens ?if she gets pregnant and you just have to abort, what happens? You can't be perfect in life and can't control everything.
What if you're new wife has had somuch sex with her bad boyfriend only to complain that your sex is bad? You know exactly what would happen when they meet again.

Spiritually, sex draws you backward. What should have been working in your success would now be drawing you backward.

Lastly, God does not approve sex before marriage.
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by EvilBrain1(m): 11:15pm On Jul 23, 2012
oiseworld:

you veryyyyyy wrong.
Sex before marraige is wrong and not moral. Nomatter the amount of love that exists between you two.
If after series of sex you end up not marring her so What happens ?
We part amicably and move on with our lives.
if she gets pregnant and you just have to abort, what happens? You can't be perfect in life and can't control everything.
I think I mentioned condoms and safe sex in my post. Plus, I wouldn't ask a girl to have an abortion. Facing up to your responsibility is part of being a man. If she decides to have one herself it's a different story, but I'll always be willing to handle my business and take care of my child.

What if you're new wife has had somuch sex with her bad boyfriend only to complain that your sex is bad? You know exactly what would happen when they meet again.
If I can't trust a girl to remain faithful, then there's no way I'm going to marry her. Besides, thanks to all the premarital sex, I'm now pretty good in bed. My future wife will have no reason to complain.

Spiritually, sex draws you backward. What should have been working in your success would now be drawing you backward.
Do you have any evidence to back this up? It's very easy to make this kind of claim but I think you'll find that reality disagrees with you.

Lastly, God does not approve sex before marriage.
I think I mentioned that I'm an atheist. That statement means nothing to me.
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by oiseworld: 1:28pm On Jul 24, 2012
Evil Brain:
I think I mentioned condoms and safe sex in my post. Plus, I wouldn't ask a girl to have an abortion. Facing up to your responsibility is part of being a man. If she decides to have one herself it's a different story, but I'll always be willing to handle my business and take care of my child.

If I can't trust a girl to remain faithful, then there's no way I'm going to marry her. Besides, thanks to all the premarital sex, I'm now pretty good in bed. My future wife will have no reason to complain.

Do you have any evidence to back this up? It's very easy to make this kind of claim but I think you'll find that reality disagrees with you.

you atheist are very self centered, it has to be the way you want it. You've had soo much sex that youre now good at it. While someome somewhere is also having very good sex with your future wife and she's now also very good at it. What do you care? She Probably had had one or two abortions, not your problem.

You'll never force a girl to have an abortion, but you'll take care of the child just incase,you didn't say you'll marry her. You allow the child to grow wit both of u seperate.

I don't have an evidence to backup the spiritual part, you're an etheist, you'll never umderstand.
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by oiseworld: 1:32pm On Jul 24, 2012
Evil Brain:

Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by truthislight: 2:27pm On Jul 24, 2012
oiseworld:

you atheist are very self centered, it has to be the way you want it. You've had soo much sex that youre now good at it. While someome somewhere is also having very good sex with your future wife and she's now also very good at it. What do you care? She Probably had had one or two abortions, not your problem.

You'll never force a girl to have an abortion, but you'll take care of the child just incase,you didn't say you'll marry her. You allow the child to grow wit both of u seperate.

I don't have an evidence to backup the spiritual part, you're an etheist, you'll never umderstand.

@ evil brain
That is what happens when someone that cant see all sides of an issue start talking.

He did not say what he will do if the atheist girl he is going to marry that dont care about God has committed an abortion that shifted her womb and child bearing becomes a problem.

I think, since he does not have the care for a God he will simply abandon her or worst yet kill her in secret afterall God wont see him.

Or, will he be happy that the girl was just like him? No.

So, how wise is what EVILBRAIN has said?
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by truthislight: 2:40pm On Jul 24, 2012
oiseworld:

Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by tpia5: 9:17pm On Jul 24, 2012
the thread isnt really meant for people who are committed to fornication and adultery, or what am I missing here?

if the topic disturbs you then dont post since nobody expressly called your name?

the op is addressing people who have a struggle keeping from the above mentioned issues.
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by EvilBrain1(m): 10:15pm On Jul 24, 2012
oiseworld:

Obviously I'm not going to marry a girl just because she got pregnant. I'm not going to give chicks incentive to start poking holes in my condoms. In any case, I know plenty of couples who got married because of pregnancy and every single one of them is either miserable or divorced. The worst possible environment to raise a child is a home where both parents are full of resentment and there is no peace.

Call me self-centered if you want, but I've been sexually active for over 12 years now and I've never gotten a single girl pregnant, not to talk of demanding an abortion and I've never gotten or given anyone an STD (hooray for condoms!!!). I've never cheated and I do my best to treat women with respect which is more than I can say for many religious people I know.

And since I don't consider women to be property, I don't think my future wife's value will be in any way diminished just because she slept with her ex-boyfriend before she met me. There are more important things in life than who your woman did or didn't fvuck years ago.
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by Ptolomeus(m): 10:19pm On Jul 24, 2012
jmoore: Does it really takes the grace of God for one not to indulge in premarital sex(fornication)/adultery?

No, no ... do not need the grace of God.
In fact, God did not punish Abraham, David, Noah, Solomon ...
All of them (and many others) were great adulterers, and even they had sex with their families.
No need for grace from God to do things like that, except that the grace of God is used to maintain sexual vigor necessary to have several wives at once.
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by jmoore(m): 12:55pm On Jul 25, 2012
Evil Brain: . OP seems to be suffering from the "my religion is right and everyone who doesn't follow it must be a sinner" delusion.

If your brain could comprehend well, you should have noted that I clearly said "Grace of God" is not what stops people from fornicating. Learn to read carefully before you post
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by plaetton: 1:11pm On Jul 25, 2012
If fornication is a sin and if there is such a place as hell, then basically all of humanity(at least 98%) are destined for hell on the basis of fornication.

Its really that simple.
Therfore ,if we are destined for hell due to the callings of our god-given hormones, what is the point of religion?

Why bother with rest of the religious crap? And if god is going to eventually forgive us, then , again, why worry?
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by DeepSight(m): 1:55pm On Jul 25, 2012
Well, of course it does, so long as terrible temptations like this still exist in this world -

Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jul 25, 2012
tpia@:
the thread isnt really meant for people who are committed to fornication and adultery, or what am I missing here?

if the topic disturbs you then dont post since nobody expressly called your name?

the op is addressing people who have a struggle keeping from the above mentioned issues.
Pls shut up and go find someone to 'you know'...
Re: Does It Takes The Grace Of God For One Not To Indulge In Fornication/adultery? by tpia5: 4:31am On Jul 26, 2012
anyway, being frigid means the topic does not apply to me.

but its still by the mercy of God.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Differences Between Mohammed And Jesus / Happy Birthday To Pastor Chris Oyakhilome! / Am I Being Influenced?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.