Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? (5953 Views)

Simple Question For Christians And Creationists? / Why Do People Laugh At Creationists? [video Series] / The Destruction Of Creationists (olaadegbu, Brainpulse And Bigd4050) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by Nobody: 1:28am On Aug 05, 2012
Mr_Anony:
You have just described a damaged universe!

How else would you describe a damaged universe other than the way you have just described the universe here? i.e. some parts are in order while other parts are not functioning properly.

I didn't say anything about proper function or damaged universe. You asked about if I consider the universe ordered and you just misrepresented it....as usual.

If this is a "damaged" universe, why is do you consider it damaged? What would an undamaged universe look like?........................and you still avoid answering any questions, but try not to avoid these ones.
Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by MrAnony1(m): 1:36am On Aug 05, 2012
Martian:

I didn't say anything about proper function or damaged universe. You asked about if I consider the universe ordered and you are just misrepresented it.

If this is a "damaged" universe, why is do you consider it damaged? What would an undamaged universe look like?........................and you still avoid answering any questions, but try not to avoid these ones.
Dude, what more do you want me to say? If the universe is part orderly and part disorderly, then it is damaged. An undamaged universe should be perfectly orderly in every part.
If you have another definition for 'damaged', then please tell me.
Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by Nobody: 1:52am On Aug 05, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Dude, what more do you want me to say? If the universe is part orderly and part disorderly, then it is damaged. An undamaged universe should be perfectly orderly in every part.
If you have another definition for 'damaged', then please tell me.

Let me clarify my opinion on universal "order" and/or disorder. I think these physical laws and everything else in the universe interact and it's us who interpret those events as order or disorder.

What does "perfectly orderly" in every part mean?
What part do you consider damaged and how would it be different if it wasn't damaged. And why is the universe damaged anyway? What is an attribute of a perfect universe that is undamaged?
Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by MrAnony1(m): 2:06am On Aug 05, 2012
Martian:

Let me clarify my pinion on "order". I think these physical laws and everything else in the universe interact and it's us who interpret those events as order or disorder.

What is perfectly ordered in every part mean?
What part do you consider damaged and how would it be different if it wasn't damaged. And why is the universe damaged anyway? What is an attribute of a perfect universe that is undamaged?
First of all, we only have a human point of view available to us (perhaps you have another point of view that is not human I don't know)
Based on this human human outlook, we can say that the universe is damaged.
Perhaps it is not damaged at all but working perfectly (we can only know this for sure if we have a vantage point where we are able to observe the entire universe in detail i.e. God's point of view)

As for the second part of your question, I would like to quote what you said earlier:
Martian:
I think that parts of the universe can be termed orderly according to human standards, and some of it can be termed disorderly according to the same standards.
Now let me turn your questions back on you:
What part do you consider disorderly and how would it be different if it wasn't disorderly. And why is the universe partly disorderly anyway? What is an attribute of a universe that is completely orderly?
Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by Nobody: 3:00am On Aug 05, 2012
Mr_Anony:
First of all, we only have a human point of view available to us (perhaps you have another point of view that is not human I don't know)
Based on this human human outlook, we can say that the universe is damaged.
Perhaps it is not damaged at all but working perfectly (we can only know this for sure if we have a vantage point where we are able to observe the entire universe in detail i.e. God's point of view)

Yes we only have the human point of view but WE don't say that it is damaged. At least I don't think it's damaged because I don't have any other universe to compare it to. Don't know about any god's point of view.

Mr_Anony:
Now let me turn your questions back on you:
What part do you consider disorderly and how would it be different if it wasn't disorderly. And why is the universe partly disorderly anyway? What is an attribute of a universe that is completely orderly?

I clarified above that we make opinions about order and disorder based on our interpretations of what we know about the universe. As far as I know, the universe is neither ordered nor disordered because I don't have a basis of comparison. I can only say that events happen in the universe and one of the results of those events is life on this planet.
Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by MrAnony1(m): 6:45am On Aug 05, 2012
Martian:

Yes we only have the human point of view but WE don't say that it is damaged. At least I don't think it's damaged because I don't have any other universe to compare it to. Don't know about any god's point of view.

I clarified above that we make opinions about order and disorder based on our interpretations of what we know about the universe. As far as I know, the universe is neither ordered nor disordered because I don't have a basis of comparison. I can only say that events happen in the universe and one of the results of those events is life on this planet.
Interesting because I put up a similar argument to Plaetton earlier namely "how can the created know what a perfect creation is?"

Ok Martian, so because of our human point of view and human interpretations, we can only observe events in the universe but we cannot recognize if the events are ordered or disordered because we really have no true contrasts for comparison.
One interesting thing to note is that your argument itself implies that human interpretation is limited in that it doesn't have enough information to truly say whether or not the universe is damaged. The question will now arise "limited in contrast to what?"

I put to you that in the same vein, with human interpretation we cannot even know if the universe exists or not or if we are indeed observing anything at all or if we even exist to start with since we don't have a "non-existent" to compare with therefore the universe (including us) neither exists nor doesn't exist.
..........we now have dived into the realm of the absurd and meaningless.

1 Like

Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by Nobody: 7:18am On Aug 05, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Interesting because I put up a similar argument to Plaetton earlier namely "how can the created know what a perfect creation is?"

Ok Martian, so because of our human point of view and human interpretations, we can only observe events in the universe but we cannot recognize if the events are ordered or disordered because we really have no true contrasts for comparison.
One interesting thing to note is that your argument itself implies that human interpretation is limited in that it doesn't have enough information to truly say whether or not the universe is damaged. The question will now arise "limited in contrast to what?"

I put to you that in the same vein, with human interpretation we cannot even know if the universe exists or not or if we are indeed observing anything at all or if we even exist to start with since we don't have a "non-existent" to compare with therefore the universe (including us) neither exists or doesn't exist.

Perfect response grin
Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by DeepSight(m): 7:44am On Aug 05, 2012
Mr_Anony:

I put to you that in the same vein, with human interpretation we cannot even know if the universe exists or not or if we are indeed observing anything at all or if we even exist to start with since we don't have a "non-existent" to compare with therefore the universe (including us) neither exists or doesn't exist.

Superb. And the bold last line encapsulates all that the foolish, unintelligent and shallow-thinking atheistic view-point actually represents.
Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by wiegraf: 8:36am On Aug 05, 2012
^^^
Confusing. Nothing deserving of a circlejerk was said yet you give yourselves one?

I don't get most of that post (maybe it could do with some punctuation, so should many of mine actually), but I'm assuming he thinks there has to be a purpose for evolution. There isn't one.
Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by DeepSight(m): 8:58am On Aug 05, 2012
wiegraf: ^^^
Confusing. Nothing deserving of a circlejerk was said yet you give yourselves one?

I don't get most of that post (maybe it could do with some punctuation, so should many of mine actually), but I'm assuming he thinks there has to be a purpose for evolution. There isn't one.

The bold is foolishness. Sorry to say that. Its the truth.

Deep, profound, and firmly-grounded foolishness.

Oh, and might I add: if you cannot see the profound philosophical issues Anony raised, and the counter-questions he used to illustrate the point, you are yet to start in this life. No arrogance, please. Just the hard truth.
Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by wiegraf: 9:46am On Aug 05, 2012
Deep Sight:

The bold is foolishness. Sorry to say that. Its the truth.

Deep, profound, and firmly-grounded foolishness.

Oh, and might I add: if you cannot see the profound philosophical issues Anony raised, and the counter-questions he used to illustrate the point, you are yet to start in this life. No arrogance, please. Just the hard truth.

My dictionary has 'truth' as:
A fact that has been verified
Confirmity to reality or actuality
A true statement
The quality of being near to the true

I'm sorry good sir but I think you don't know how to use the word. And I like the colors. Don't worry about offending me, I don't take most of I read from you seriously.

There is no purpose to evolution, it just is. Intelligent life? Then after millions of years and millions of species only 1 species we know of attained this? We are just lucky our ancestors won the genetic lottery and began to think abstractly. Now we can rationalize, have emotions/experiences and lord over the rest of life on this planet. If you want to dream up something to make yourself feel even more special, that's fine. I hope you don't abuse the word 'truth' there as I'm a pendant of sorts, and that irks me.

As for the bit about not beginning life, that's your opinion. I find the 'profound philosophical issues' he raises irrelevant. Again, knock yourself out if it gives you some sense of purpose (hopefully not misguided). This is a science thread though, no?
Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by Nobody: 11:01am On Aug 05, 2012
Mr_Anony:

You assume that it was created, hence your question about "perfect creation". I don't subscrive to your idea of a designer, so this question is meaningless.

Mr_Anony:

Human knowledge is limited and people with expertise in various fields try to increase the that knowledge through various means. This link is an eample about how little we still know about our universe. Human knowledge limited but it has been increasing as we all progress.

http://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-areas/what-is-dark-energy/
More is unknown than is known. We know how much dark energy there is because we know how it affects the Universe's expansion. Other than that, it is a complete mystery. But it is an important mystery. It turns out that roughly 70% of the Universe is dark energy. Dark matter makes up about 25%. The rest - everything on Earth, everything ever observed with all of our instruments, all normal matter - adds up to less than 5% of the Universe. Come to think of it, maybe it shouldn't be called "normal" matter at all, since it is such a small fraction of the Universe.

Mr_Anony:
I put to you that in the same vein, with human interpretation we cannot even know if the universe exists or not or if we are indeed observing anything at all or if we even exist to start with since we don't have a "non-existent" to compare with therefore the universe (including us) neither exists nor doesn't exist.

This is just gross misrepresentation of my point that human knowledge is limited.It's because our knowledge has been increasing that we know about the universe (or what we call the universe). We know we exist because we are alive and doing the observing and learning.
If you want a comparison for existence and non existence, look at yourself. Prior to your conception, gestation and birth, you didn't exist.

Mr_Anony:

Yes, and some people deal with the absurdity and possible meaningless nature of our existence by believing in a god. And you've said before that God is what gives your life meaning and without it,your life doesn't make sense. By believing in the Judeo christian idea of god, you give yourself hope of having a better existence after you die, with a being that is even more powerful than the sum total of the universe we haven't fully comprehended. The creators of christianity's way of dealing with the absurd, was to create a supernatural utopia where your "soul" goes when you die. Some people create their own gods and claim they exist because they they have to believe in a god to give meaning to their lives. I am content with living on earth and eventual death, so I don't need to create a god or have any ideas about surviving my own death. Brain dies, I die.

3 Likes

Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by DeepSight(m): 11:12am On Aug 05, 2012
wiegraf:

A true statement

I'm sorry good sir but I think you don't know how to use the word. And I like the colors. Don't worry about offending me, I don't take most of I read from you seriously.

There is no purpose to evolution, it just is. Intelligent life? Then after millions of years and millions of species only 1 species we know of attained this? We are just lucky our ancestors won the genetic lottery and began to think abstractly. Now we can rationalize, have emotions/experiences and lord over the rest of life on this planet. If you want to dream up something to make yourself feel even more special, that's fine. I hope you don't abuse the word 'truth' there as I'm a pendant of sorts, and that irks me.

As for the bit about not beginning life, that's your opinion. I find the 'profound philosophical issues' he raises irrelevant. Again, knock yourself out if it gives you some sense of purpose (hopefully not misguided). This is a science thread though, no?

Nonsense.
Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by DeepSight(m): 11:13am On Aug 05, 2012
Martian:

You assume that it was created, hence your question about "perfect creation". I don't subscrive to your idea of a designer, so this question is meaningless.

Human knowledge is limited and people with expertise in various fields try to increase the that knowledge through various means. This link is an eample about how little we still know about our universe. Human knowledge limited but it has been increasing as we all progress.

More is unknown than is known. We know how much dark energy there is because we know how it affects the Universe's expansion. Other than that, it is a complete mystery. But it is an important mystery. It turns out that roughly 70% of the Universe is dark energy. Dark matter makes up about 25%. The rest - everything on Earth, everything ever observed with all of our instruments, all normal matter - adds up to less than 5% of the Universe. Come to think of it, maybe it shouldn't be called "normal" matter at all, since it is such a small fraction of the Universe.

This is just gross misrepresentation of my point that human knowledge is limited.It's because our knowledge has been increasing that we know about the universe (or what we call the universe). We know we exist because we are alive and doing the observing and learning.
If you want a comparison for existence and non existence, look at yourself. Prior to your conception, gestation and birth, you didn't exist.

Yes, and some people deal with the absurdity and possible meaningless nature of our existence by believing in a god. And you've said before that God is what gives your life meaning and without it,your life doesn't make sense. By believing in the Judeo christian idea of god, you give yourself hope of having a better existence after you die, with a being that is even more powerful than the sum total of the universe we haven't fully comprehended. The creators of christianity's way of dealing with the absurd, was to create a supernatural utopia where your "soul" goes when you die. Some people create their own gods and claim they exist because they they have to believe in a god to give meaning to their lives. I am content with living on earth and eventual death, so I don't need to create a god or have any ideas about surviving my own death. Brain dies, I die. Say hello to "non existence".

Silly irrational thoughtless gibberish.
Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by Nobody: 11:15am On Aug 05, 2012
Deep Sight:

Silly irrational thoughtless gibberish.

Your opinion.
Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by DeepSight(m): 11:27am On Aug 05, 2012
Martian:

Your opinion.

In the immortal words a friend of mine: "it is not my opinion, it is a fact".
Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by Nobody: 11:27am On Aug 05, 2012
Interpretation of perfect is subject to what we know, our sanity or insanity, evolving science,environment and beliefs. If there is no perfect universal understanding then theres no perfection or imperfection.pretty much nonsense right.
Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by Nobody: 11:29am On Aug 05, 2012
Deep Sight:
In the immortal words a friend of mine: "it is not my opinion, it is a fact".

Sure.
Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by DeepSight(m): 11:50am On Aug 05, 2012
Martian:

Sure.

What is wrong with you? ? ? Dont you realize I am an argument junkie? I need you to argue back, otherwise i might die. These excessively responsible and dismissive rejoinders are spoiling my day. O d.amn it. Go away joor.
Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Aug 05, 2012
Sometimes, I just have to doff my hat and say well done.. Most of the posters on this thread are the reason the religion section on NL has become a huge part of my life.. Thanks everyone. I learn a lot on here everyday..

Btw: Martian na badt guy.. Oga DeepSight relax o.. smiley
Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by plaetton: 12:43pm On Aug 05, 2012
Deep Sight:

Superb. And the bold last line encapsulates all that the foolish, unintelligent and shallow-thinking atheistic view-point actually represents.

Good day to all.

You are being less than objective.
Mr Anony has the habit of delving into the absurd and meaningless when he is confronted with questions that he cannot answer. In the process he always condradicts his own views. Rather than correct him, you keep egging him on.
I beleive all this is simply because of the unwillingness of these theists to admit that they dont know.
Ofcourse, it goes with the territory. You reach your conclusions first, and then you delve into all sorts of convoluted logic to try make the facts to fit your conclusions.

1 Like

Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by plaetton: 12:44pm On Aug 05, 2012
wiegraf:

A true statement

Superb. Common sense prevails. Hurray.
Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by cyrexx: 12:54pm On Aug 05, 2012
plaetton:

Good day to all.

Mr Anony has the habit of delving into the absurd and meaningless when he is confronted with questions that he cannot answer. In the process he always condradicts his own views. Rather than correct him, you keep egging him on.
I beleive all this is simply because of the unwillingness of these theists to admit that they dont know.
Ofcourse, it goes with the territory. You reach your conclusions first, and then you delve into all sorts of convoluted logic to try make the facts to fit your conclusions.

Superb. And the bold last line encapsulates all that the foolish, unintelligent and shallow-thinking religionist's view-point actually represents.

smiley smiley
cool cool
Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by cyrexx: 1:00pm On Aug 05, 2012
musKeeto: Sometimes, I just have to doff my hat and say well done.. Most of the posters on this thread are the reason the religion section on NL has become a huge part of my life.. Thanks everyone. I learn a lot on here everyday..

Btw: Martian na badt guy.. Oga DeepSight relax o.. smiley

Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by MrAnony1(m): 3:29pm On Aug 05, 2012
Martian:

Actually, that question was asked in response to the op of this thread. It was the op that first assumed creation when it asked "if a perfect designer, why an imperfect design?"

Lol, you miss the point again. You have implied that human knowledge is limited and is increasing. The question is How can you know this for sure?
You claim we cannot trust our human knowledge concerning order and disorder then you turn around and try to describe things we "know". Question is: How then do we know that we know?
Perhaps you possess some superhuman knowledge that we don't know about

Notice I am only asking you the same silly questions you have been asking me.

Yes, and some people deal with the absurdity and possible meaningless nature of our existence by believing in a god. And you've said before that God is what gives your life meaning and without it,your life doesn't make sense. By believing in the Judeo christian idea of god, you give yourself hope of having a better existence after you die, with a being that is even more powerful than the sum total of the universe we haven't fully comprehended. The creators of christianity's way of dealing with the absurd, was to create a supernatural utopia where your "soul" goes when you die. Some people create their own gods and claim they exist because they they have to believe in a god to give meaning to their lives. I am content with living on earth and eventual death, so I don't need to create a god or have any ideas about surviving my own death. Brain dies, I die.

bla bla bla..............How do you know that what you have just typed is intelligible if it is ultimately a product of a meaningless universe?

1 Like

Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by MrAnony1(m): 3:39pm On Aug 05, 2012
diluminati: Interpretation of perfect is subject to what we know, our sanity or insanity, evolving science,environment and beliefs. If there is no perfect universal understanding then theres no perfection or imperfection.pretty much nonsense right.
Yeah it's pretty much nonsense. I have never heard of subjective perfection before. Care to elaborate?
Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by MrAnony1(m): 3:49pm On Aug 05, 2012
plaetton:

Good day to all.

Of course, convoluted logic like the following....

If the order of the universe is imperfect, then there must be a perfectly ordered universe from which it deviates.
If this perfect order/design exists, then there must be a perfect designer, God.

If the perfect designer does not exist, then there is no possibility of a perfect design.
If there is no perfect design, then there cannot be an imperfect design or any design at all, Total Chaos and Disorder.

So which is it God or Absolute Chaos?

How is the above absurd and meaningless? How does it contradict my views? Why don't you just correct me or man up and admit that you are wrong. Stop being a religious bigot.

You complain that theists simply won't admit that they don't know. Perhaps the truth is that you hate it when theists actually do know and you wish they didn't know so that you won't have to look so silly.

....... So in the words of two genius philosophers of NL( a.k.a. logicboy and cyrexx): "Free yourself from mental slavery"

1 Like

Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by cyrexx: 3:57pm On Aug 05, 2012

Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by DeepSight(m): 3:59pm On Aug 05, 2012
plaetton:

Good day to all.

It still surprises me that you of all people have missed the pith of his brilliant posers.
Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by DeepSight(m): 4:08pm On Aug 05, 2012
cyrexx: .

As bad as religious fairy tales can be, atheistic delusions are far worse and really do sc.rew logic in its backside without con.doms.
Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by plaetton: 4:19pm On Aug 05, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Of course, convoluted logic like the following....

How is the above absurd and meaningless? How does it contradict my views? Why don't you just correct me or man up and admit that you are wrong. Stop being a religious bigot.

You complain that theists simply won't admit that they don't know. Perhaps the truth is that you hate it when theists actually do know and you wish they didn't know so that you won't have to look so silly.

....... So in the words of two genius philosophers of NL( a.k.a. logicboy and cyrexx): "Free yourself from mental slavery"

What am supposed to say that I dont know?
That since humans are imperfect in construction, only a perfect creator could have done so?, and therefore a perfect creator must exist.
what a twisted logic.

I really cant figure out why anyone would go to all this lenght to prove the unprovable when simple evolution, with its trial and error mechanism is the simpliest explanation for disease and biological flaws.
This is something that your chief cheer leader, Deepsight, easily agrees. This is not something that should be debated in this era of human development.

Ok , I dont know much, But I seek to learn using or by following those who use observation, experimentation and analysis to make sense of our reality.
Therefore I'm inclined to start from a position of unknowing.

You, on the other, assume a position of knowing by virtue of your book of spurious origin, a handbook of immorality and associated fairy tales written by annonyimous men who did not know about atoms and who believed that evil spirits and demons where the cause of illnesses.

You believe and have faith in god, good for you if it makes you a good citizen of the earth. But coming here to argue your subjective notions as infallible truths is just........, I dont know the right word to use.
Re: Creationists And Intelligent Design People, How Do You Explain Disease? by MacDaddy01: 4:28pm On Aug 05, 2012
Deep Sight:

As bad as religious fairy tales can be, atheistic delusions are far worse and really do sc.rew logic in its backside without con.doms.

Name the atheistic delusions

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Is Expected Of A Minister's (pastor) Wife / Child Marriage In The Bible? / I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.