Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,660 members, 7,823,874 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

Igbo Attire And Its Meaning - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Attire And Its Meaning (93881 Views)

Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. / Traditional Attire And People From Samuel Etoo's Country. / Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by OgeneDom(m): 5:27am On Jul 24, 2012
Ndi Igbo kwenu. Kwezuo nooo
I came with questions on the meaning of all Igwe's attaire starting from the red cap, àká -mgba onu na nke aka(bangle -white and red), mkpo -walking stick, akupe(hand fan) . Kedu uzo di iche iche oji na-agba, aha ya na ihe oputara.
Odi nma ka ana aka nzu na-ala ka obu ntucha.
Ndewo nu

1 Like

Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by AndreUweh(m): 9:57pm On Jul 25, 2012
@The poster above, most Igbo people who start threads here are not lazy and I do noexpect you to lazy. You don't just start a thread and allow others to be doing the job. As you are here to learn, others are also ready to learn from you.
I will post a little bit with hope to come back when I see your own contributions.
Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by AndreUweh(m): 10:02pm On Jul 25, 2012
Ugo (Eagle) feather on the their traditional cap shows that they are the cream of society because the Eagle in Igboland is seen as the most beautiful bird, therefore it is believed to be the cream of society.
Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by ChinenyeN(m): 10:22pm On Jul 25, 2012
Andre, I don't believe you're being particularly fair to the poster. His approach seems legitimate, and from his post it can be discerned that he is among those who do not know, but wish to learn from more knowledgeable people. It wouldn't be right to expect him to make contributions.
Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by ezeagu(m): 11:58pm On Jul 25, 2012
The red cap is from Nri ('the land of the ideal manifestation') and was given to the Ozo (meaning 'saviours') and Nze (apprentice Ozo) who were 'peace warriors' that went on spiritual missions (ifu ije or gbata ọsọ) across Igboland. The red symbolises fire and fire Agbala, which is the 'holy spirit'. The red cap signifies that the Ozo and Nze are agents of Agbala. The ozo sects also acts as a 'parliament' from which the Eze Nri is selected.

The red cap is sacred in Anambra and not just anyone can wear it on the road. Of course, in many other parts of Igboland it's devalued and is just a representation of a 'king' or 'chief'

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:30am On Jul 26, 2012
[quote author=ezeagu]The red cap is from Nri ('the land of the ideal manifestation') and was given to the Ozo (meaning 'saviours') and Nze (apprentice Ozo) who were 'peace warriors' that went on spiritual missions (ifu ije or gbata ọsọ) across Igboland. The red symbolises Agbala, the 'holy spirit' and signifies the Ozo and Nze as agents of Agbala. Ozo sect also acts as a 'parliament' from which the Eze Nri is selected.

The red cap is sacred in Anambra and not just anyone can wear it on the road. Of course, in many other parts of Igboland it's devalued and is just a representation of a 'king' or 'chief'[/quote

On point Ezeagu...I will add on the "mgbaka" later.
Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by ezeagu(m): 12:49am On Jul 26, 2012
The Igbo also wore long gowns like in many west African cultures, in the Onicha language, and among other Igbo language, the gowns are know as otogbo.

You can see it faintly in this early picture of a titled man or patriarch:

1 Like

Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by ezeagu(m): 7:00pm On Jul 26, 2012
Hidden re-post.
Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by AndreUweh(m): 7:48pm On Jul 26, 2012
The white regalia shows purity both in action, body, judgement and thought.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by ChinenyeN(m): 7:52pm On Jul 26, 2012
How come Ezeagu's posts are being hidden?
Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by AndreUweh(m): 7:59pm On Jul 26, 2012
ChinenyeN: How come Ezeagu's posts are being hidden?
I thought you were going to contribute something special to the thread.
You disappoint a lot.LOL
Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by ChinenyeN(m): 8:03pm On Jul 26, 2012
Andre Uweh: I thought you were going to contribute something special to the thread.
You disappoint a lot.LOL
Andre, be smarter than that for once. This thread is obviously centered on Nri culture. How can you expect me to contribute to what I don't know? Anyway, the reasoning behind my comment is simple. I wanted to know why Ezeagu's contributions were being hidden, because I am interested in viewing them. So, forgive me if I don't understand how it would warrant the kind of response you've given.
Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by ezeagu(m): 8:31pm On Jul 26, 2012
ChinenyeN: How come Ezeagu's posts are being hidden?

I keep getting suspended as well. Let me try again.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by ezeagu(m): 8:44pm On Jul 26, 2012
Hidden re-post.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by ezeagu(m): 3:30pm On Jul 27, 2012
Andre Uweh: The white regalia shows purity both in action, body, judgement and thought.

I believe that is 'akwa ocha', no?
Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by bright007(f): 3:52pm On Jul 27, 2012
@poster $ others:I would like to know d origin of kings (igwe,obi and d red-capped chiefs)in igboland.
From where did they descend from?
At what time did we started having kings in igboland?
Am asking this in å good way.
Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by ezeagu(m): 4:26pm On Jul 27, 2012

This hat comes from the Cross River region of West Africa. It is called okpu agu in Igbo. The hat is used in mens leopard societies, the patterns are abstract depictions of the leopards spots, its claws, and other powerful leopard-related imagery.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by ChinenyeN(m): 6:55pm On Jul 27, 2012
Alright. I see the post now.
You said the otogbo developed into the attire worn by Glover and Whitaker?
Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by Dede1(m): 4:22pm On Jul 28, 2012
bright007: @poster $ others:I would like to know d origin of kings (igwe,obi and d red-capped chiefs)in igboland.

You are definitely the most confused numbskull on earth. In one thread, you berated Ndigbo by calling them the “most confused set of people in d niger area” based on what you termed as wanting to “claim everything on their path”, in another thread you seemed to make your silly self inclusive of the most confused people in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by Dede1(m): 4:26pm On Jul 28, 2012
ezeagu:

This hat comes from the Cross River region of West Africa. It is called okpu agu in Igbo. The hat is used in mens leopard societies, the patterns are abstract depictions of the leopards spots, its claws, and other powerful leopard-related imagery.

This is unintentional act of disinformation.
Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by AndreUweh(m): 10:28pm On Jul 28, 2012
ezeagu:

I believe that is 'akwa ocha', no?
Yes.
Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by AndreUweh(m): 10:40pm On Jul 28, 2012
Nkpara (walking stick), on a coronation of an Eze/Obi/Igwe or titled men, the walking stick is offered-means the titled person is wished to stay long in this life and be old to the extent that the walking stick will support him/her to walk about.

Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by ezeagu(m): 10:45pm On Jul 28, 2012
Dede1:

This is unintentional act of disinformation.

How?
Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:51am On Jul 29, 2012
This titled man is holding an elephant tusk(Okike)which is used during "nze" na "ozo" ceremony; For one to have an "Okike" which is usually carried to the event by a young relative of an "onye ozo",he most have reached to the apex of the "nze na ozo" institution. As the man enters into the ceremony arena he most greet the celebrant, "ndi ichie" ,the ancestors and all titled men with the tusk by blowing to the gallery of the crowd and also do the "ufie" noble and graceful dance. Ana Nri nwelu ugwu!

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:56am On Jul 29, 2012
The Eze Nri himself wearing the "akwa ocha" which signifies purity and the red hat(okpu nmee) a characteristic of the "agbala"(spirits of the land). If you pay attention to his hat you will notice a white and black rope that goes around it. This represents the serpent "eke" which was also venerated by the ancient Nri. The neck and wrist beads he is wearing signifies nobility and wealth. Umu Nri di uso.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:12am On Jul 29, 2012
This is Ebube Igwulube Okodu,Eze Cyril Enweze. Ochendo Umuoji,Ochilozuo. The large hat that he is carrying is called the "ogidi" which has feathers,ijele and animal skin. The "ijele" makes a lot of sounds when he works thus signifies a movement of a great personality. The feathers are for the pride because they are eagles feathers. 90% of all the kings that originated from Nri carry the "ogidi". Example,Obi of Onicha,Ebube Okodu,Obosi,Enugu ukwu and more. Nri bu nkpologwu ndi Igbo..Deme nu.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by bright007(f): 7:38am On Jul 29, 2012
Dede1:

You are definitely the most confused numbskull on earth. In one thread, you berated Ndigbo by calling them the “most confused set of people in d niger area” based on what you termed as wanting to “claim everything on their path”,
bright007:
@poster $ others:I would like to know d origin of kings (igwe,obi and d red-capped chiefs)in igboland.
in another thread you seemed to make your silly self inclusive of the most confused people in Nigeria.
sorry if dat hurts.
But on å more serious note answer my question below
bright007: @poster $ others:I would like to know d origin of kings (igwe,obi and d red-capped chiefs)in igboland.
Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by odumchi: 8:16am On Jul 29, 2012
I've always wondered about the significance of the size of the red caps.
Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by ezeagu(m): 3:54pm On Jul 29, 2012
ChinenyeN: Alright. I see the post now.
You said the otogbo developed into the attire worn by Glover and Whitaker?

I think, I'm not sure. The ones they were wearing may just be Western formal shirts. The otogbo has arms as well.
Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by ezeagu(m): 3:58pm On Jul 29, 2012

Otheres should help me with the name of the fan and shirt, I'm not sure if that's ishiagu.

But the other items of clothing are the ukara wrapper, the okpu agu hat, and some corals. This man is definitely from Abia State, if not then Ebonyi.
Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by AndreUweh(m): 6:02pm On Jul 29, 2012
The man occupying the highest position in Igboland-Amb R. Chukwu. Uwechue in his traditional Akwa Ocha.

Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by AndreUweh(m): 6:04pm On Jul 29, 2012
@MODS, I posted a picture in the above post but it did not appear.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State / Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List / A Yoruba Poem- Ise Logun Ise (work Is The Antidote For Poverty)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.