Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:48 AM

Igbo Attire And Its Meaning - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Attire And Its Meaning (93665 Views)

Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. / Traditional Attire And People From Samuel Etoo's Country. / Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by odumchi: 8:16pm On Jul 29, 2012
Andre Uweh: @MODS, I posted a picture in the above post but it did not appear.

Could you try re-posting the images?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by odumchi: 8:26pm On Jul 29, 2012
ezeagu:

Otheres should help me with the name of the fan and shirt, I'm not sure if that's ishiagu.

But the other items of clothing are the ukara wrapper, the okpu agu hat, and some corals. This man is definitely from Abia State, if not then Ebonyi.

That man is most likely from the Edda-Arochukwu-Abam-Abiriba-Ohafia axis.

I don't know the name of the shirt. However, I'm positive that that is not Isiagu. Those three ornaments on the shirt are characteristic of Cross River Igbo attire.

The name of the fan is nkutiri because that is how we say 'hand fan' in the Cross River region.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by odumchi: 9:45pm On Jul 29, 2012

Although these particular men are from Arochukwu, this is the attire worn by ekpe members throughout the Cross River region.

The necktie the man to the extreme left is wearing is known as nkisi and it is very expensive. The colors on the nkisi vary depending on the wearer's age-grade.

The black and white hats are different from opku agu and are called okpu mboko (after ekpe's highest age-grade). It is worn only by ekpe members.

The white shirts are customary in the Cross River region.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:41am On Jul 30, 2012
Ebube Okodu carrying the "Ogidi".

1 Like

Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:53am On Jul 30, 2012
Andre,on that second picture you posted; Take a good look at the man who is standing second from the right. That man knows nothing about the red hat. He looks like a complete joke. Seriouslly,some southern Igbos like to wear the red hat and look all noble but they dont know what it signifies,its substance and even how to combine it with the regallia,hence has bastardized the attire.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by AndreUweh(m): 10:23am On Jul 30, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: Andre,on that second picture you posted; Take a good look at the man who is standing second from the right. That man knows nothing about the red hat. He looks like a complete joke. Seriouslly,some southern Igbos like to wear the red hat and look all noble but they dont know what it signifies,its substance and even how to combine it with the regallia,hence has bastardized the attire.
As for Ndigbo outsde Anambra and Anioma, there is a litle bit shift from what the red cap stands for.
Red cap worn by fathers, heads of home and titled men shows that through their suffering and shedding of their blood, their families, entire community and society grows and progresses.
Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:11pm On Jul 30, 2012
Andre Uweh:
As for Ndigbo outsde Anambra and Anioma, there is a litle bit shift from what the red cap stands for.
Red cap worn by fathers, heads of home and titled men shows that through their suffering and shedding of their blood, their families, entire community and society grows and progresses.

Enugu state also has a strong Nri presence and their "Nze" na "Ozo" is very authentic. However,the southern Igbos that wear the red hat do so because they have been given a title of achievement in their town hence they confuse the red hat which is strictly fo nze na ozo for a mere achievement title. Just because you have a title and was given a greeting name like ndi nze na ozo doesnt give you the right to wear the okpu nmee. The okpu nmee is not worn for "surffering","shedding of blood" . This is my first time of hearing this unless if its a modern invention in southern Igbo. My point is that if one should wear the okpu nmee they should wear it right and show its full grace and gallant. There are some colors and stule of clothes thst doesnt go well with the red hat. Look at the Anioma and Anambra groups the way they dress and you will see my point..Nwanne,deme.
Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by ChinenyeN(m): 2:30pm On Jul 30, 2012
Relax. What you're witnessing is simply the nature of cultural diffusion.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by AndreUweh(m): 2:44pm On Jul 30, 2012
@Odenigbo.
Nwanne Udo diri gi. I know the symbolism of the hed hat in Anioma, Anambra and to some extent Enugu, but it is a little bit different elsewhere in Igboland.
In Okigwe zone of Imo state and in Imo state probably minus Oguta, the red hat is for Ezes, titled men and head of families. This red means struggle which could be blood to save their families and communities, shield it when required and see the community progress.
But we must agree on one thing. The red cap is respected and worn with dignity all over Igboland despite some differences.
Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by ezeagu(m): 3:53pm On Jul 30, 2012
I believe the point is that the 'eze' and chiefs living below okigwe are a recent invention and the hats symbolism as 'struggle' is also new. Why I'm trying to clarify this is because people can get harassed in Anambra particularly for wearing these hats without an Nze or Ozo position, but the reverse is not the same. It's the same for people outside the Cross River wearing okpu agu or any other of the conical hats as well as the ukara.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by AndreUweh(m): 12:58am On Jul 31, 2012
Hand beads, usually worn or the right but lately on both hands. This shows that Igbo speaking south south or south east, one is respected to eat and drink with other title holders. Example, If Mazi Uweh is spotted with hand beads in Oguta, this permits me to dine with Mazi Abagworo and other titled men in that town.
In another thread not related to this, someone said Ndigbo has the best culture in Africa and I agreed with him.

Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by odumchi: 1:07am On Jul 31, 2012
ezeagu: I believe the point is that the 'eze' and chiefs living below okigwe are a recent invention and the hats symbolism as 'struggle' is also new. Why I'm trying to clarify this is because people can get harassed in Anambra particularly for wearing these hats without an Nze or Ozo position, but the reverse is not the same. It's the same for people outside the Cross River wearing okpu agu or any other of the conical hats as well as the ukara.

This is true.

Andre Uweh: Hand beads, usually worn or the right but lately on both hands. This shows that Igbo speaking south south or south east, one is respected to eat and drink with other title holders. Example, If Mazi Uweh is spotted with hand beads in Oguta, this permits me to dine with Mazi Abagworo and other titled men in that town.
In another thread not related to this, someone said Ndigbo has the best culture in Africa and I agreed with him.

Could you explain the bolded part?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by AndreUweh(m): 9:25am On Jul 31, 2012
^^^
This titled men are suppose to be people who have made a mark in their respective communities. For achievers to dine with other achievers in another town is a mark of respect accorded to achievers.
It's a pity that nowaddays, some people have acquired this titles through bribery and other monetary endorsements. Surely, this has to stop in Igboland. I appeal to my people to stop it.
Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by OgeneDom(m): 11:24am On Sep 08, 2012
I have taken my time to digest all definitions and explanations. Thanks to those who can't be to always criticize, your criticism also contributed to more explanations. To those who made effort to help, you all made me to score high in the concluded quiz I attended.
From the above mind explanations, Nri happen to have a lot of Igbo history. I will like to visit that area to see thing with my eyes. Thanks all.
Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by Nobody: 4:11pm On Sep 08, 2012
^^^Ok, Can you show me the difference in how a man from Anambra, Abia, etc would dress?
Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by Ezinwa25(f): 6:57pm On Feb 07, 2018

1 Like

Re: Igbo Attire And Its Meaning by jbblues24(m): 9:31pm On Jun 01, 2019
This is killer work smiley kiss

(1) (2) (Reply)

Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State / Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List / Misuzulu KaZwelithini: New Zulu King Had To Kill This Lion To Become Monarch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.