Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest (9431 Views)

Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank / Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by cecegorz(m): 12:02pm On Jul 25, 2012
What manner of protest is this?
Tell these folks to storm their bank head office, and ground their operations, they will call them for a truce immediately.
Why waste energy at BRF's office that will not yield any result.
I still have the picture of UNION bank picketing by their staff on the same issue last year when I ran into them on Marina. Nobody told their Mgt to jaw-jaw ASAP.
That's the most effective thing to do!
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by Acidosis(m): 12:12pm On Jul 25, 2012
cecegorz: What manner of protest is this?
Tell these folks to storm their bank head office, and ground their operations, they will call them for a truce immediately.
Why waste energy at BRF's office that will not yield any result.
I still have the picture of UNION bank picketing by their staff on the same issue last year when I ran into them on Marina. Nobody told their Mgt to jaw-jaw ASAP.
That's the most effective thing to do!

riots and protests hardly yield results in Nigeria.

I hope the protest will bring them back
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by Okijajuju1(m): 12:25pm On Jul 25, 2012
on-code:

I CLEARLY SEE YOU DON'T CARE AND YOU KNOW WHY? BECAUSE IT HAS/DID NOT HAPPEN TO YOU. IF E HAPPEN TO YOU, YOU GO CARE!

.......BROS!!

I care, but understand that the case is really really helpless... Fashola has absolutely no control over the bank or any banks.. They would have stood a better chance with the CBN who is a regulator of the banking industry than the would with Fashola..

If a staff who has worked for a bank for 20 years is laid off with just one months pay... The reason is simply because he is a contract staff. I am a contract staff and I know that the cluses are very brutal. Its sad but thats just the way it is.. Wether I care or not doesnt negate the fact that he signed his own fate away. Go and ask the guys at MTN and other telecoms companies, same fate..

Fashola is not in control here.. Not even Jonathan can help them.. If they had a legal case against the bank they would be in court..

Keep sentiments aside and lets face facts here sir...

This is the business world not disneyland..

kpokute: You are asking the guy if he's mad, i think the question should be directed to you. The protesters are all Lagos based ex bankers, and Fashola is the governor of Lagos state. Again, they didn't tell you they are holding Fashola responsible, rather they are pleading with him to help them talk to the management of the bank, as well as pass their message accross to the President, it's done every where so stop firing the guy!

If you really think that their protest (without valid claims) would achieve anything, then I am sorry, its either you have never been formally employed before or you are letting sentiments becloud your better sense of judgement!!!

They have signed papers sir.. Even a lawyer would advice you that before you sign any papers that you dont fully understand the legal implications of, contact your lawyer..

Fashola was prolly chilling in his room and didnt want to be disturbed..

I sympatise with them, but they should either get a Lawyer and sue the Bank or channel that energy into getting a new job..
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by Garb: 12:40pm On Jul 25, 2012
Why are you blaming these people, whatever affect eyes also has impact on nostril, It is collection of individuals that form the society and any negative factors on individual will also influence the society either negatively or positively. Therefore, it is imperative for the Governor to intervene on behalf of the workers since they pay their tax to the Lagos state's Government.
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by otokx(m): 12:50pm On Jul 25, 2012
Tomorrow they will say these people are educated and are qualified graduates.
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by jpphilips(m): 1:10pm On Jul 25, 2012
Finland:
use your head! He could use his good office to intervene before it turns to something worse.

how exactly? Your head is a smoke head, explain how 'good offices' reinstate sacked workers?
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by tommykiwi(m): 2:10pm On Jul 25, 2012
Na Fashola na him approved them sack letter na
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jul 25, 2012
I'm aware of the existence of a body that fights for the rights of employees.This is the body that can address this problem and not Fash. However,fashola can use his influnce to make things happen. Dont forget that every big banks have big customers. In addition now that they have signed their letters,i doubt if they have a case in court. My advice is for them to start a business with whatever amount they have if not in lagos,but in another state. Start a business asap else the cash wil dry up faster than u can think of
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by mrperfect(m): 5:11pm On Jul 25, 2012
This is really sad.
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by pastorflow: 5:19pm On Jul 25, 2012
Avenues to Wealth is good plan B. If want to join for free contact me or drop your email.
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by Sabotage4700(m): 9:22pm On Jul 25, 2012
Useless Woman.... thats why women leadership does not make sense at all, imagine after working for 20years then you decide to pay your workers that king of small amount money.. i swear God will judge you #SOBING#
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by Sabotage4700(m): 9:38pm On Jul 25, 2012
Acidosis: Is Fashola the C.E.O of Afribank or am I missing something?

Fashola might not be the C.E.O of Afri... or Main.... whatever most of the people in this mess are lagosians which have been cheated along with their colleagues and friends.
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by stupor(m): 11:33pm On Jul 25, 2012
When you get hit unexpectedly with sudden life short-comings,you never can tell where it may most hit you.

I got affected two years ago in a banking down-size also,but amazingly a lot of us affected took and smile knowing fully well the management's decisions were totally unjust,unfair and lawless.

I learnt a very big lesson and I wish every other person working for someone would take a heed from it,never be too comfortable working for someone even when it requires putting in your qualities,claim every little money including allowances you are entitled to while working like your life depended on it,cos your life actually would be dependant on it when the chips are down.

Take all awards,hypes,recommendations from your bosses,but endear only the ones with a monetary value with so much concern cos others are nothing but cheap lip service and valueless plaques when the chips are down.

When you work especially in banks,trust no one,even the ones that pat you when you act exceptionally,they could just be the same set who will recommend or call you a weak-link when the chips are down,never go to sleep if you are uncomfortable with any hurtful words your boss says to you,say to him or her that such should not repeat itself and send a memo on it to hour,otherwise you might just go with your hurtful feelings when heads start rolling !

When ever you get laid off,don't start unnecessary protests when you all know it will lead to nothing.

Try applying with a good heart and faith to other establishments even when the pay is not right,just ensure you prove on your qualities and I can assure you better opportunities may arise or you could also miraculously rediscover yourself.

@ the poster,I just hope you may understand,but I pray that the laid off staff would gather more strength to move on,because Nigerian banking system doesn't work and mostly a pitiful and fake human capital models.

If you are still in doubt,I'll put a test to surmount your doubts now,and I hope I just get people to respond or my MOD's would a raise a topic in support of my point.

Watch how many respond you'll get.

If you've been a laid-off banker within the past four years either with or
Without a job presently just like my comments.

Surprisingly you'll see that we all had protested,formed fora and most times we had to move on.

Best of luck dude.God bless.
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by jelikay: 8:36am On Jul 26, 2012
Are you mad?!
So what do they expect Fashola to do?! Is Lagos State Government the regulatory body for banks?!! Or is Fashola the majority shareholder in Mainstreet bank?!!
Make them destroy na!! Infact, make dem shut make too much noise make JTF use the vexation wey dem get for Boko Haram handle them.. How do you sign a sack letter under duress?!! Them point you gun abi them hold their famililes hostage?!! Most of these people are most likely contract staff judging by the fact that they were sacked with just one month pay as is the standard in most contract staff jobs.. Wetin the man sef been dey do working as contract staff for 20years?!! Like are you mad?!!
Even sef, complaining about the fact that na Afribank people them sack pass is silly.. If Afribank had such a brillliant work force, maybe they would not have gone under..

I pity them sha as I too am about to suffer the same fate, but I have read my contract and know what I signed up for..

LIFE IS A BIITCH

okija or what do you call yourself, i prayd u never experience what dis people are experiencing rigth now contract staff or not the treatment they are giving them is bad.
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by Okijajuju1(m): 9:40am On Jul 26, 2012
jelikay:
okija or what do you call yourself, i prayd u never experience what dis people are experiencing rigth now contract staff or not the treatment they are giving them is bad.

[size=14pt][b]AGAIN!! Most of you here sound like you have no idea what the job market in Nigeria is...

I can never be like that man who worked for 20years as a contract staff.. He was a f'ool..

Like I said, I am also a contract staff with an Oil & Gas company in Nigeria.. Imagine my case where I was 'virtually' the person who drafted and prepared my contract between the company and my contractor and knew exactly how much I was being paid from the company and yet my contractor had the balls to fleece 55% of my salary, yet wasnt providing medicals, insurance, pension nor paying my taxes.. I never could quite understand why the parent company with whom I work didnt just contract directly with me and cut off the middle man who was fleecing us .. I learnt it was the way it was done.. I have a colleague whose contractor takes 65% of his actual rate as overhead!! Point is, LIFE IS A BITCH..

Beyond the evils of contractors to contract staff, I also read the contract that brought me into the job..

"I could be fired at the discretion of the company with just 48hrs notice.."

"I shall be given 1 months pay as severance benefit.."

Instead of fighting the banks and crying to Fashola to get them their jobs back, they should go to the senate to look into the new menace of contract staffing that most companies now are employing to reduce employer liability.. This is why almost all the workforce in the Telecomms, Banking and Oil & Gas sectors are contract staff..

Now.. Thats how contract staff jobs work, it may not be fair, but if you know you didnt like it, you should never have signed on to do the job.. It dont matter if you have worked for the company since you were 5yrs old.. Contract staff have no unions, cant hold the parent company responsible for almost nothing and are just labourers that are highly paid..

What happened to them was not out of the norm, just one of the harzards of the working industry..

[/b]
[/size]

NIGERIANS, Before you sign on to do any work, please read the TERMS & CONDITIONS properly.. COntact a lawyer if necessary to explain it better if you cant understand it...
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by vemmawealth(f): 9:55am On Jul 26, 2012
If you are one of d 800, don't despair. Click on my signature below for an opportunity of a lifetime
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by vitality22(m): 2:33pm On Jul 26, 2012
Okija_juju:

...Are you mad?!
So what do they expect Fashola to do?! Is Lagos State Government the regulatory body for banks?!! Or is Fashola the majority shareholder in Mainstreet bank?!!
Make them destroy na!! Infact, make dem shut make too much noise make JTF use the vexation wey dem get for Boko Haram handle them.. How do you sign a sack letter under duress?!! Them point you gun abi them hold their famililes hostage?!! Most of these people are most likely contract staff judging by the fact that they were sacked with just one month pay as is the standard in most contract staff jobs.. Wetin the man sef been dey do working as contract staff for 20years?!! Like are you mad?!!
Even sef, complaining about the fact that na Afribank people them sack pass is stupid.. If Afribank had such a brillliant work force, maybe they would not have gone under..

I pity them sha as I too am about to suffer the same fate, but I have read my contract and know what I signed up for..

LIFE IS A BIITCH

Bros, you are tooooo harsh abeg. Could you just take it easy with this guys pls. Put yourself in their shoes.
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by frog12: 2:17pm On Aug 27, 2012
We should discuss intelligently.
What ought to be done are simple:

-CBN banking exercises of 2009 was just a mess; it should not have resulted in people losing their jobs!
-for that, sorry to say, Sanusi should be sacked.
-Mainstreet Bank, Afribank will not exist anymore; it's only a matter of time. It's been destroyed.
-so also the others, hmm... keystone bank, etc.

How can you sack 800 people from the Banking Sector in a developing economy?? That's disaster!!!
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by AjanleKoko: 2:30pm On Aug 27, 2012
frog12: We should discuss intelligently.
What ought to be done are simple:

-CBN banking exercises of 2009 was just a mess; it should not have resulted in people losing their jobs!
-for that, sorry to say, Sanusi should be sacked.
-Mainstreet Bank, Afribank will not exist anymore; it's only a matter of time. It's been destroyed.
-so also the others, hmm... keystone bank, etc.

How can you sack 800 people from the Banking Sector in a developing economy?? That's disaster!!!

In a country of 160 million people, it means very little for 800 people to lose their jobs.
Problem is if the 800 people are earning significantly, and a lot of people depend on them for their livelihood. That's also hardly likely. Unless you fired 800 CEOs or something, it makes little difference.

Banks in Nigeria are glorified ponzi schemes anyway. They need to be reformed and resized appropriately. There are so many opportunities for growth in Nigeria, crying out for financing. That is what we need to create jobs.
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by mikkybrick: 4:08pm On Aug 27, 2012
lol@ ponzi scheme, but it's the sad truth! shocked shocked
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by frog12: 7:19pm On Aug 27, 2012
How do you reform the banking system, by sacking all employees every month? Is this what
Sanusi expected when his banking reform started?
Re: 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest by AjanleKoko: 9:42am On Aug 28, 2012
frog12: How do you reform the banking system, by sacking all employees every month? Is this what
Sanusi expected when his banking reform started?

It's not really Sanusi's fault that the banks had to let people go.
What about the shareholders of the bank, or the customers like you and me? Billions have been lost to profligiacy and fraud. Hardly any real banking was going on. Most of the staff hired were not in tandem with the actual growth of the bank, and I am sure the staff must have seen that as well.

It's unfortunate, but it's reality we all need to face. If the banks were actually trading with the massive deposts they were sitting on, they would have been generating real income. After all the 25 billion capitalizations and the numerous IPOs, the banks should have been well positioned to finance real sector growth. Instead, they focused on ponzi-style mobilization of deposits, and money laundering via forex round-tripping, real estate scams, the stock market, and other bubble schemes. A few bank directors made billions into their personal pockets, while the share value of many of those banks went south.

Imagine the defunct Oceanic bank with a deficit of over 400 billion naira in their balance sheet. What happened to that money, shareholders and depositors' funds? About 191 billion naira in cash and properties were recovered from the CEO!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Would You Compromise Your Character In Order To Be Rich? / Kogi To Pay Workers Four Months Salary Arrears Next Week / Policemen Protest Salary Deductions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.