Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,276 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:24 AM

Of What Use Is Maize Cob After Removing The Grains. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Of What Use Is Maize Cob After Removing The Grains. (9259 Views)

HELP - Dollar Exchange Rate. Is GTB Illegally Removing My Money? / 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming / Haording Processed Spices And Grains (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Of What Use Is Maize Cob After Removing The Grains. by saniby: 2:03pm On Jul 25, 2012
Just wondering why is there alot of wastages associated with farming Corn in Nigeria. I just got back from farm after transporting home some of my produce.
as you can see below:

I am really happy with the harvest and wish to thank the Almighty for his fovor.
However, after removing heap of corn cob cover which I had to painfully dispose before removing the grains from the cob, I am now left with another substancila mass of empty cobs. I thus have this naggiging question bugging my mind. The question is simply wheather there is any commercial value a farmer can get from the empty cobs after removing the grains considering the cost of transportation from farm to home and labor involved.

By chance if yo've known any research done in this area that can be applied to our Nigerian environment kindly share it with us.
Any usefull suggestion is highly welcome please.
thank you.

Re: Of What Use Is Maize Cob After Removing The Grains. by femu(m): 4:06pm On Jul 25, 2012
Definitely it has a lot of value! Why don't u crush it. It wud make a good animal feed supplement
Re: Of What Use Is Maize Cob After Removing The Grains. by saniby: 7:51pm On Jul 25, 2012
@femu
Ahh. I never thought of this. But can animals really eat the empty cob? By the way which animals in particular?
thank u for ur advice.
Re: Of What Use Is Maize Cob After Removing The Grains. by femu(m): 8:37am On Jul 26, 2012
Certainly crush it into particles, its useful as a feed substitute for different animal rations.
Re: Of What Use Is Maize Cob After Removing The Grains. by saniby: 8:42am On Jul 26, 2012
I observed animals not eating the cob as is. At least sheep doesnt. Pls which animal have you tested this formula on.
Re: Of What Use Is Maize Cob After Removing The Grains. by stagger: 1:32pm On Jul 26, 2012
saniby: I observed animals not eating the cob as is. At least sheep doesnt. Pls which animal have you tested this formula on.

I have seen goats eating the stuff. I also believe it has some fuel generating properties; at least when you leave it overnight in a stuffy hot room, you can perceive the odour of fermentation.

The problem is getting money to do research into this area. What is the Ministry of Agriculture doing in this regard apart from telling us that even GEJ eats cassava bread and talking about banning rice importation?
Re: Of What Use Is Maize Cob After Removing The Grains. by saniby: 1:53pm On Jul 26, 2012
@stagger
Exactly my thought. I mean as a nation, we should invest in such research. Because we produce this empty cobs in hundreds of tons every year. And all we do with these large tonnage is to litter our socoeity?
But who do we talk to?
Abi you sabi GEJ to advice him. This need urgent attention just like the cassava bread.
grin grin grin
Re: Of What Use Is Maize Cob After Removing The Grains. by zidaneobi: 1:57pm On Jul 26, 2012
I think it can be used as feed ingredient especially for pigs but I have not carried out any research on this. Pigs feed on varieties of feeds than virtually any animal. However, do you produce maize in large quantity or have links to other farmers? Our organization is very much in need of buying dried, old maize of about 16 Metric Tonnes every month for the feeding of farm birds. Please reply me through jibolasulaimon4real@yahoo.com
Re: Of What Use Is Maize Cob After Removing The Grains. by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jul 26, 2012
I dont think maize cobs are nutritrious enough to feed your animals with.

Why not dry it and burn it as fuel(firewood)?
Re: Of What Use Is Maize Cob After Removing The Grains. by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jul 26, 2012
I dont think maize cobs are nutritrious enough to feed your animals with..

Why not dry it and burn it as fuel(firewood)?
Re: Of What Use Is Maize Cob After Removing The Grains. by stagger: 2:21pm On Jul 26, 2012
saniby: @stagger
Exactly my thought. I mean as a nation, we should invest in such research. Because we produce this empty cobs in hundreds of tons every year. And all we do with these large tonnage is to litter our socoeity?
But who do we talk to?
Abi you sabi GEJ to advice him. This need urgent attention just like the cassava bread.
grin grin grin
Unfortunately the only time I ever met GEJ one on one was in 2006 at a cocktail party to welcome him as new Governor of Bayelsa. I no longer have that access and I am not an agric expert, so I may not be able to help with that. However, the best bet is to search for agencies that award foreign grants. I am currently searching for one to sponsor my proposed biodiesel production plant.
Re: Of What Use Is Maize Cob After Removing The Grains. by saniby: 2:38pm On Jul 26, 2012
@mbatuku2
thanks for ur advice. But I think that should be the last resort.
ie if everything has failed to yield money.
Re: Of What Use Is Maize Cob After Removing The Grains. by SIFA(m): 6:00pm On Jul 26, 2012
I think the item you displayed is called maize ofal. When crushed, it can used be used in the formulation of poultry and fish feeds.

Get in touch with any feed manufacturer and you will be happy you did
Re: Of What Use Is Maize Cob After Removing The Grains. by dwizy(m): 7:04pm On Jul 26, 2012
Very good trend. Lots like this will help improve the situation of the country. If its with a very good price, then I ll joyfully add it to my list of biz. Atleast, its an easily resourced material.

Visit http://www.learnthecashway.
Re: Of What Use Is Maize Cob After Removing The Grains. by femu(m): 8:57pm On Jul 26, 2012
It contains little protein and digestible energy. So its still useful in Pig, fish and some poultry rations. It has to be crushed into fine or small particles and included with other supplements. You don't need govt for this just crush it and market it.. We animal farmers are ready to buy!
Re: Of What Use Is Maize Cob After Removing The Grains. by mosrex: 10:35pm On Jul 26, 2012
With more research, the cob can be as partial replacement for coarse aggregate for light concrete.
Re: Of What Use Is Maize Cob After Removing The Grains. by komodapson(m): 12:13am On Jul 27, 2012
heard it is being used in foam/mattress making industry...but it has 2 go through a lot of processing
Re: Of What Use Is Maize Cob After Removing The Grains. by saniby: 6:34pm On Jul 27, 2012
@all
Has any body heard something about using the empty cob in making ceiling? I heard somebody talking of using G/nut shell for the same purpose. But how true are these ascertions? or rather how practicable r they in Nigeria is the multi million Naira question.

(1) (Reply)

Audu Ogbeh Distributes Seeds To Farmers / Difference Between Starter, Grower And Finisher Feed You Give Your Poultry Birds / FG Targets 800,000 Jobs Through Mechanized Farming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.