Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,231 members, 7,829,416 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? (41652 Views)

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Nigerians In Nigeria Versus Nigerians In Diaspora! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Aug 07, 2012
I can't believe people are using cars to judge success lol..

I'm in my mid-20s, and I've owned more than 20 super nice cars since I started driving (not driving for now because I'm serving a ban) and I still have a nice BMW in my drive way - but that doesn't I'm the richest bloke out there lol... I've actually met Nigerians who work normal jobs in Nigeria but came here on holz, that I felt a little inferior to because of their achievements in Nigeria.

Some people are ridiculously stupid smh! shocked

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Aug 07, 2012
ronkebp:

The NAME OF THE GIRL THAT LIVED Behind his uncle's house.grin grin grin

grin grin grin
If I kick you dia cheesy
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by drzed: 8:14pm On Aug 07, 2012
NovusHomo: Hope this leads to the end of Western Union transactions, IJN.

LOL. If na joke stop am!

O boi..if abroad people stop sending lifelines through Western Union, even the company sef go nearly collapse grin
Western Union fit start promo for Nigerians in diaspora: Send-one, Get-another-one-free! bicos no be small pay people dey remit go back home o. I think after India and one two other countries, Nigerians are the highest remitters of money back home.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Aug 07, 2012
manny4life:

That's why I pay premium for my rent, I live about 12mins walk to the metro station, on the highway I live at, I have two Walmart, one target, home depot, Sears, Costco (coming soon), and the clothing stores and eateries are just so much. Therefore, the WMATA bus runs like OFTEN, although I don't use it though but in all, most of them are walkable distances. Transportation in the part of VA where I live is really reliable and efficient.

I can imagine how FL is because when I was in FL back in 06 for my exchange course, took aeronautics/flying course, I stayed in Daytona, it was hell but I can understand anyhow.Well since you work on campus, you should ride for free na, don't you?

That makes sense. I wouldn't buy a car if I lived so close na.

I don't pay for the bus, it's free (expenses added to my tuition), but the bus is not frequent. comes every 15 mins during the fall/spring semester. I could miss a class, ya know.

Anywaz, I plan on moving to Texas in less than a year, so fcukk Florida tongue I hope the transportation system is sound over there.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by chucky234(m): 8:17pm On Aug 07, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:
Actually i plan to build my own medical practice in nigeria, I know i might sound like a mad woman to you now but i know it is going to happen by God's grace. Once i finish my residency and get enough money i am coming back home, tired of this americans treating me like i am a slave and i'm inferior, when quite frankly they are the ones that need to check themselves. If you know what I have went through in this country, you will understand why i say im coming back home. I know nigeria is hard, but what country is easy??
My sister don't waste a second in America after your med and residency ooo,those illiterate Yanks treat one like a slave in a modern time. You can live a fulfilled live in Naija
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 8:18pm On Aug 07, 2012
On your average day, my commute is quicker by bike than public transportation. What with the many stops they make and the traffic lights. . . . grin grin grin grin grin

Anyways, my point is you do not measure success by how many cars a person has or if the person has a house credit free or not.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by KayDee4: 8:18pm On Aug 07, 2012
Kobojunkie:
In Houston there are over 300 miles of bikeway. I am sure other towns/cities have em too.
[size=13pt] Biking in Houston won't get you too far, unless by bike, u mean "power bike" . If you don't have a car in Houston, u're quarter to being f***kd [/size]
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by chucky234(m): 8:20pm On Aug 07, 2012
shymmex: I can't believe people are using cars to judge success lol..

I'm in my mid-20s, and I've owned more than 20 super nice cars since I started driving (not driving for now because I'm serving a ban) and I still have a nice BMW in my drive way - but that doesn't I'm the richest bloke out there lol... I've actually met Nigerians who work normal jobs in Nigeria but came here on holz, that I felt a little inferior to because of their achievements in Nigeria.

Mid 20s,hmmm
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by coogar: 8:21pm On Aug 07, 2012

did you just drop on this planet? nigeria use phones to judge success.
a fucking mobile phone!!!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 8:22pm On Aug 07, 2012
Kay-Dee:

[size=13pt] Biking in Houston won't get you too far, unless by bike, u mean "power bike" . If you don't have a car in Houston, u're quarter to being f***kd [/size]
um . . . but there is a bike biking community out there in Houston. I mean they do live there, hundreds of them, already!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ronkebp(f): 8:24pm On Aug 07, 2012
coogar:

lol...grin grin grin BB-porsche, tightest babe (soyoyo) with Brazillian wweave, BMW, mercedes and Range Rover (even if they borrowed it)...you will hear "bobo yen jeshu gan!!!!!" " alaye baba!!!! kasa!!!" mo beri fun e egbon mi.....grin grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by manny4life(m): 8:24pm On Aug 07, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

That makes sense. I wouldn't buy a car if I lived so close na.

I don't pay for the bus, it's free (expenses added to my tuition), but the bus is not frequent. comes every 15 mins during the fall/spring semester. I could miss a class, ya know.

Anywaz, I plan on moving to Texas in less than a year, so fcukk Florida tongue I hope the transportation system is sound over there.

Well, I still need a car to drive around na, buses/trains have their advantage and disadvantage. Advantage for going to work and relaxing/sleeping on your way home, disadvantage, can be a lil nasty. With more than 300,000 who travel to DC every morning on trains alone, and returning back home at evening, in the summer heat and pack up like sardines, go figure... embarassed embarassed embarassed

Why is everyone moving to TX? grin grin grin Me sef, I'm planning on moving to Houston come next year if these fuc/kerz increase my rent one more time...Although I moving because I want to explore the business part/interaction of TX.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Aug 07, 2012
coogar:

Bwahahahahahha

Using a liability to judge success has to be the dumbest thing ever - people need new brain cells.. grin grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dayokanu(m): 8:26pm On Aug 07, 2012
A-town:

Try riding your bike in Texas and see if you wont get KNOCKED THE FEeCK off by the "Big in Texas" TRUCKS.
Heck, if i see you or one of those oyinbo people preaching "work out/saving the planet crap" while riding your bike, i will personally clear you off the road. Work out ko work out ni. What is LA fitness there for. I got one barely 1.5miles away and i DRIVE there...PROUDLY TOO. tongue

I cancelled my LA Fitness, Most apartments now have gyms in the complex
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 8:26pm On Aug 07, 2012

Ok so i will believe any other thing, but that bolded statement i won't believe. 20 cars in your mid twenties, Is your father a car maker?? Even obama gan hasn't had that much cars in his lifetime.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ronkebp(f): 8:26pm On Aug 07, 2012
manny4life:

Well, I still need a car to drive around na, buses/trains have their advantage and disadvantage. Advantage for going to work and relaxing/sleeping on your way home, disadvantage, can be a lil nasty. With more than 300,000 who travel to DC every morning on trains alone, and returning back home at evening, in the summer heat and pack up like sardines, go figure... embarassed embarassed embarassed

Why is everyone moving to TX? grin grin grin Me sef, I'm planning on moving to Houston come next year if these fuc/kerz increase my rent one more time...Although I moving because I want to explore the business part/interaction of TX.

i want to move, because of the fun, i hear they always have. Philly is boring....
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Aug 07, 2012
chucky234: Mid 20s,hmmm

Old soul and old mentality, brother...

40 years old mentality - I was raised by OGs from a young age, and I learned the game from early.. cool
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by KayDee4: 8:27pm On Aug 07, 2012
Kobojunkie:
um . . . but there is a bike biking community out there in Houston. I mean they do live there, hundreds of them, already!
[size=13pt] people bike for fun within their immediate vicinities but biking wont get you to any meaningful place you need to go to. you almost have to hit 1 or more highways to get somewhere. Some roads don't even have walkways for pedestrians. cheesy cheesy

The Texas monster trucks and 18-wheelers even scare motorists off the road not to mention bike, bicycle, abi keke napep. cheesy cheesy grin
[/size]
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dayokanu(m): 8:28pm On Aug 07, 2012
Kay-Dee:

true for the whole of texas

nothing sucks like waiting for the metro bus in 100 degree sun
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Aug 07, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:
Ok so i will believe any other thing, but that bolded statement i won't believe. 20 cars in your mid twenties, Is your father a car maker?? Even obama gan hasn't had that much cars in his lifetime.

Started driving when I was 16, and it isn't that difficult out here especially if you know about how to get cars for cheap - and how to get rid of them quick, and make profits off the sale...

UK heads should know how that works..
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Aug 07, 2012
Kobojunkie:

In Houston there are over 300 miles of bikeway. I am sure other towns/cities have em too.

If you think you can get away with hitting a cyclist, you better do some research. Some of the hardest sentences have been handed over to people with your mindset in the last couple of years, and Bicycle Activist groups are all over the place making sure that people who think they own the road are aware that they do not.

P.S You do know we all pay the same when it comes to taxes to fix those roads and highways?

Dear Brethren,
Why so uptight. If you really think i would intentionally hit a biker, then you need to stop smoking whatever you smoke. That said. Please narrate all your taxes and fines or whatever to people who don't actually live here. I live here so no need for the education. i know whether there are bike routes or not.
Please tell me how your bicycle will help you if you need to access i10,beltway 8, 610, 59 and some of the mega highways that connect most work places in houston. Ill stop here in order not to derail the thread. You use your bike because it is suited to your environment. The only people who bike in houston are those living by the medical center, downtown or people at the park. For everyday life, forget it. Even the wind blowing from OUR BIG ASS TRUCKS will blow you away..shocked
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dayokanu(m): 8:30pm On Aug 07, 2012
coogar:

You are going too far, Phone, Cars.

What of people who use fake foreign accent to judge success. cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ocelot2006(m): 8:30pm On Aug 07, 2012
dayokanu:

And what happens to them after residency?

I am sure pdude would give you first hand experience.

I have a friend who is a doctor, the guy was telling me maybe he would go on the street and start hustling cos the thing doesnt pay at all in Nigeria.

I know several Doctors who are now bankers due to poor conditions of living

After residency, they write a number of exams to become consultants. Anyway, it's true you won't see a lot of billionaire doctors. You definitely won't see doctors earn as high as N10M or more like other professionals in Telecoms, finance, or oil and gas. Maybe xcept those working with the UN or other foreign NGOs (Public Health). But with their current pay, and other earnings from private practice/locum, they do live comfortably.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by manny4life(m): 8:30pm On Aug 07, 2012
dayokanu:

true for the whole of texas

nothing sucks like waiting for the metro bus in 100 degree sun

LOL... Now you see why I hate summer, I don't even wait, I just walk and sweat it out... grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Aug 07, 2012
manny4life:

Me sef I'm considering moving there too. Heard there are good opportunities there.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 8:31pm On Aug 07, 2012
Kay-Dee:

[size=13pt] people bike for fun within their immediate vicinities but biking wont get you to any meaningful place you need to go to. you almost have to hit 1 or more highways to get somewhere. Some roads don't even have walkways for pedestrians. cheesy cheesy [/size]

No, I was not talking of hobby cyclists. I was talking of people who bike on a regular basis. Cyclists don't take all roads. I don't get on the highway here, or some of the drives.

Think about it for a minute. Why would a city invest in 300 miles of bicycle way for hobby cyclists? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Aug 07, 2012
Kobojunkie: On your average day, my commute is quicker by bike than public transportation. What with the many stops they make and the traffic lights. . . . grin grin grin grin grin

Anyways, my point is you do not measure success by how many cars a person has or if the person has a house credit free or not.

That's the most annoying thing. I wonder why ppl can't just walk from the last bus stop to their own, which is just the next one. It's like a 10 ft walk.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by manny4life(m): 8:32pm On Aug 07, 2012
ronkebp:

i want to move, because of the fun, i hear they always have. Philly is boring....

pDude:

Me sef I'm considering moving there too. Heard there are good opportunities there.

Nna men, how many people want go TX? grin grin grin

I'm doing my own move next year, hopefully after Spring... Tryna see how many Naija people get money so we can start a company together grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Aug 07, 2012
manny4life:

LOL ewwww. Esp those ppl who like putting their armpit over your head.

I'm moving because One particular school has the best rating for my program. And something about Texas just calls to me; same climate as over here, and not too expensive (FL is a retirement state, quite expensive).
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by tpia5: 8:35pm On Aug 07, 2012
manny4life:

That's why I pay premium for my rent, I live about 12mins walk to the metro station, on the highway I live at, I have two Walmart, one target, home depot, Sears, Costco (coming soon), and the clothing stores and eateries are just so much. Therefore, the WMATA bus runs like OFTEN, although I don't use it though but in all, most of them are walkable distances. Transportation in the part of VA where I live is really reliable and efficient.

the dc metro area is one of the best places to live, commuter wise.

not as crowded as new york (that might be changing though) and a bus stop/metro station on every corner.

unless someone moves to the suburbs, transportation is no problem.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Aug 07, 2012
manny4life:

Nna men, how many people want go TX? grin grin grin

I'm doing my own move next year, hopefully after Spring... Tryna see how many Naija people get money so we can start a company together grin grin grin grin

Nooooo too much NIgerians. Una go kill me. . . . grin grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dayokanu(m): 8:35pm On Aug 07, 2012
manny4life:

LOL... Now you see why I hate summer, I don't even wait, I just walk and sweat it out... grin grin grin

You dare not walk in Houston or Dallas.

Those places as soo far away.

Walking on Beltway 8, or 59 in Houston, 635, George Bush turnpike, Loop 12 (In Dallas) Can land you anywhere from the morgue to to orthopaedic)

Drivers in Texas as also some of the craziest.
When I just got to Houston, I missed my bus the last of the day. And I trekked almost 3hours to get home, What you can do 15-20 drive

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (23) (Reply)

Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. / UK Set To Ban Nigerian Students, Others From Bringing Their Families Over / Man Wanted To Pay For His Transport Fare With Bank Transfer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.