Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,513 members, 7,812,599 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:55 PM

Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? (41448 Views)

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Nigerians In Nigeria Versus Nigerians In Diaspora! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 7:35pm On Aug 07, 2012
tpia@:

well, that's what they do.

I don't see where they can get that much money except through illegal means.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ronkebp(f): 7:35pm On Aug 07, 2012
deshclones:

Chic YOU DON'T know shit abt naija...stop yarning dust...for you to ask of good schs,24hr light nd water means u r bereft of the millions of alternatives here or outrightly dumb..I personally chose d latter...

I would have loved to engage the uk based nigerians...but they are no where to be found ..guess they all went to do menial olympic jobs..hv never been to d u.s so can't argue well..but all ma previous assertion stands.

Boy!!!! give me the list and figures to back it up....do you peresently have 24 hrs light presently?which area is that and is it 24hr generator? some of the people i know have the solar installed,(how much is that hmmmm>?) i know how much my father (personally) paid for a bore hole to be erected. So give me figures, break it down and let us know how one can conveniently spend to get good amenities and 'safety".

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Aug 07, 2012
werepeLeri:

Says who? So those who hustle in Nigeria dont make it? Nigeria must indeed be hell. Who are those who drive those cars I see on the streets and build those houses I see around town? People from abroad?

Dude, what percentage of those people who "build those houses" compare to the total Nigerian population? I assume that you live in an urban centre like Lagos, Abuja or Port Harcourt. Have you ever visited any real rural area in South West, North and South East? If you see the standard of living there, you will shed tears. Don't forget that a greater percentage of Nigerians live in Rural communities.

So don't use the number of cars and skyscrapers in Lagos or Abuja to grade the standard of living in Nigeria. Go to the rural communities in Oyo state and see how Nigerians suffer.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by tpia5: 7:35pm On Aug 07, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:
I don't see where they can get that much money except through illegal means.

who knows.

could be legal or otherwise.

i assume its legal.

paying cash for purchases is actually the better option.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Aug 07, 2012
dayokanu:

The fact is that nothing is for free anywhere in the world

You have to pay one way or the other

For you to live at the standard you are used to in US you have to live in a service flat. Cost of service flats can be up to $70,000 per year.

now tell me where in the US you would pay $70,000 for accomodation in somewhere is 1004 stadards. 1004 opposite Civic center in Ozumba Mbadiwe?

https://www.nairaland.com/478419/6-units-3bdr-service-flats

Guy calm down juh. When i transferred bk to naija, i lived in VGC and did not even pay up to 3million naira per year for a very nice house. 70000 is like 11.2 million na. Make una dey "tey slow slow na".
No be this same naija ni. Yeah life on the island is expensive but stop making it seem unnecessarily outrageous. People are living the good life in naija.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 7:36pm On Aug 07, 2012
I know thousands of people who havent stepped outside Nigeria but are comfortable - live in their own houses, no credit card debt, kids school in top schools, no mortgages on their neck, yet, you think they are third class because they have never been to the diaspora. Shuo!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by kushe: 7:36pm On Aug 07, 2012
Started coming back to naija often in 2010 and was positioning for a return to the pre 2007 boom.nawaa ooo,dis una country sef.Me I don switch to the GOD mode cos if naa education,I get am,experience,loads of it but then kicking off stuff is no walk in the park.My London life is cool but things no be like before ooo,Olympics go come,goooo, carnival go come, goo and then that chilling reality of our financial winter will set in and people will go back to being depressed.I have never seen the world like this and I am forced to conclude that this is the hand of the Almighty.My only consolation is that this won't last forever but then how much longer would the crisis continue ?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by coogar: 7:37pm On Aug 07, 2012
werepeLeri: Looks like there is this belief that you can never make it in Nigeria. So, those estates that spring up daily, those nice bungalows around town, those gaily dressed men and women I see every day in Nigeria, those fancy cars in town are all owned by people who came in from the diaspora?

Laughable. Maybe you will then say they are government apologists or armed robbers or what?

they are all acquired via high interest mortgages, cars on hire-purchase and what-nots. nigerians spend 60% of their income on "looking good".
it's the only country in the world where the phone one carries is immediately used to determine one's status. many people drive those cars and stay in those bungalows and wallow in debt.....it's what they call "packaging"!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 7:37pm On Aug 07, 2012
pDude:

Dude, what percentage of those people who "build those houses" compare to the total Nigerian population? I assume that you live in an urban centre like Lagos, Abuja or Port Harcourt. Have you ever visited any real rural area in South West, North and South East? If you see the standard of living there, you will shed tears. Don't forget that a greater percentage of Nigerians live in Rural communities.

So don't use the number of cars and skyscrapers in Lagos or Abuja to grade the standard of living in Nigeria. Go to the rural communities in Oyo state and see how Nigerians suffer.

What percentage of people who travel abroad can boast of 10 dollar savings? Abeg.

LOL. Noone suffers in the diaspora? Noone lives under the bridges? Noone begs for bread?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 7:38pm On Aug 07, 2012
coogar:

they are all acquired via high interest mortgages, cars on hire-purchase and what-nots. nigerians spend 60% of their income on "looking good".
it's the only country in the world where the phone one carries is immediately used to determine one's status. many people drive those cars and stay in those bungalows and wallow in debt.....it's what they call "packaging"!

LOL. Who do you mix with while in Nigeria?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by tpia5: 7:38pm On Aug 07, 2012
coogar:

and overseas they dont?

and in nigeria, people are actually more likely to be debt-free while having real estate and other assets, than if they were overseas.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 7:38pm On Aug 07, 2012
'Making it' has nothing to do with fancy cars or living in a house you built. You can live in a house you even inherited and have cars in your garage but and still have low standard of living. Also factors such as security, access to basic amenities etc also play in determining how well someone has made it. But at the base, it has to do with individual choice. Apparently these people here prefer living with "debt", and all over living in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 7:39pm On Aug 07, 2012
tpia@:

who knows.

could be legal or otherwise.

i assume its legal.

paying cash for purchases is actually the better option.

But with a minimum wage job?? not really.Don't forget that they have to pay tons of bills.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by tpia5: 7:40pm On Aug 07, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

But with a minimum wage job?? not really.

they might simply have other ways of money management ie saving money.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by drzed: 7:40pm On Aug 07, 2012
werepeLeri: One question I always want to ask. Why do Nigerians travel to the diaspora and begin to work round the clock - doing three to four jobs. Is that something to be envious about?

Haba bros calm down. Ask yourself: Why do Nigerians leave their villages to come and do conductor work in molues plying third mainland bridge?

It is a matter of opportunities and freedom of choice, and MANY of us both in UK and US have loads of 'opporchos' and made the right choices. Let me give you a little perspective: An average, well-paid Nigerian banker needs two pre-tax salaries per month to make what I'm paid here each month (after my own tax and monthly bills). And over here...(this is the part where you pay serious attention)...I dont have Armed Robbers, NEPA, Pot holes, Boko Haram, unmotivated-strike-hungry-doctors, Farouk Lawan, GEJ or the infamous PDP to worry about on daily basis.

Stop all this wishful thinking that being abroad is all about hustling and doing three menial jobs at the same time. LOL.
Many of us are chillaxing in diaspora. We are legit, professional, well-educated ...and of course, well-paid.

Take it or leave it.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 7:41pm On Aug 07, 2012
tpia@:

and overseas they dont?

and in nigeria, people are actually more likely to be debt-free while having real estate and other assets, than if they were overseas.

That is not true! There are no numbers to back this up so let us not now claim it is the case.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ronkebp(f): 7:41pm On Aug 07, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:
I absolutely understand, but their is no way in hell you can get the biggest overtime in the world( and that is also impossible, because they are not the only one's at the job) working a minimum wage job and bring out $100 bills "cha cha cha". Unless they are working 18 of those jobs everyday. It is impossible.
P.S- A minimum wage job is $8 per hour, and some people that are illegals and are working under the table get paid less than that.

Tolani go and sit down.....just so you, upon my arrival to the States, i worked in a big store and that was like 8 years ago, and was the customer service rep...so i have had enough experience for me to draw out my conclusions on how they spend. they pay cash for whatever buy, and it is usually 100 dollar notes. if it is the 'cha-cha" you are worried about, no, they did not mint the notes.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by manny4life(m): 7:41pm On Aug 07, 2012
werepeLeri:

What percentage of people who travel abroad can boast of 10 dollar savings? Abeg.

LOL. Noone suffers in the diaspora? Noone lives under the bridges? Noone begs for bread?

Come on now, haba, you too you know that most people can boast of that now grin grin grin grin

Nigerians I've come in contact with hustle really hard. Me I don't know their saving or net worth, but they're doing good.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 7:42pm On Aug 07, 2012
I have a few British friends who went back to look for work because the benefits they were getting from the government had been cut off- to them, things are no more rosy.

I have a few British friends who graduated from Uni and has no jobs. To them, things are not rosy.

I know Nigerian guys who used to earn 1500 pounds a week from IT contracts( I used to earn that in London), but now, they cant even get one contract - to them, things are no more rosy.

The British for example agree things are dull, down and not as before, but my Naija guy wants you to believe, no, the British guys are wrong, things are still as rosy as before, in fact, better.

But my people here will say, I am lieing.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 7:42pm On Aug 07, 2012
tpia@:

they might simply have other ways of money management ie saving money.
is there a way to save money after paying utility bills, rent/mortgage, Tv bills, e.t.c
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by 2sexy(m): 7:43pm On Aug 07, 2012
All this one wey ppl dey talk say things hard 4abroad, yet dem no wan com home.

Most people contaminate others mind just because they couldn't make it. I have come to realise that life is like school. Some pass and some fail. You are either on the other side, never both.

My school in Naija for instance, people would go out and say it is so hard to cope with academic activities. Imagine the effect that would cause if someone listen to them. Such a person wouldn't even know that the person telling him or her such is among the group who are scared, lack confidence or faith, lazy and not willing to work or read.

Such is life.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 7:43pm On Aug 07, 2012
** to gloat a little**

I don't own a car . . . I gave it up last year for a surburban bike. Now, I am in the market for a new bike and this beauty is what I have my eye on next.

Here is all the showing off I need to do because it is not about how many things you have but the life you are able to live and freely too.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by deshclones(m): 7:43pm On Aug 07, 2012
coogar:

i am a uk based nigerian....please engage me....
if i don't put you down within 15 mins, i owe you a sack of yams!

Dude since when??you uk based?abegi am serious here..I want to engage dumboos like sagamite nd shymmexx..you have done me no harm bro.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dayokanu(m): 7:43pm On Aug 07, 2012
A-town:

Guy calm down juh. When i transferred bk to naija, i lived in VGC and did not even pay up to 3million naira per year for a very nice house. 70000 is like 11.2 million na. Make una dey "tey slow slow na".
No be this same naija ni. Yeah life on the island is expensive but stop making it seem unnecessarily outrageous. People are living the good life in naija.

Check that link I posted.

Service flats in Nigeria way back 2007 was around $50k per annum and Its only reasonable for it to be $70k this year

On this same nairaland, Go to property section and search for service flats and see the prices.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by tpia5: 7:44pm On Aug 07, 2012
Dude since when??you uk based?

huh?

are you saying coogar has been typing from outside the uk, like say mushin or okokomaiko?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Aug 07, 2012
werepeLeri:

Hmmmmm, now lemme tell you a lil' something. If you want to work and earn good money, come to US. But if you want to enjoy that money and do minimal work, move to Nigeria.

The thing is that the system here is one that wants to continually siphon money from ur pocket through debts and taxes. But in Nigeria, your money is yours to keep.

The best way to live is to have plans to eventually relocate back to Nigeria and invest the money you worked for in a business. Nigeria is a good place to do business if you have the capital. Setting up a business abroad is very difficult and if you make any mistake, you can be sued out of all your investments.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by tpia5: 7:45pm On Aug 07, 2012
dayokanu:

On this same nairaland, Go to property section and search for service flats and see the prices.

do you believe everything you read on nl?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Aug 07, 2012
Kobojunkie: ** to gloat a little**

I don't own a car . . . I gave it up last year for a surburban bike. Now, I am in the market for a new bike and this beauty is what I have my eye on next.

What?

I also have a bike, but God forbid if I live another month without a car.

How do you go shopping, go to appointments, research, etc?

You guys must have a great bus service over there.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dayokanu(m): 7:46pm On Aug 07, 2012
werepeLeri:

If they cant boast of $10 saving how do they now get the billions they send through western union yearly

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 7:47pm On Aug 07, 2012
pDude:

Hmmmmm, now lemme tell you a lil' something. If you want to work and earn good money, come to US. But if you want to enjoy that money and do minimal work, move to Nigeria.

The thing is that the system here is one that wants to continually siphon money from ur pocket through debts and taxes. But in Nigeria, your money is yours to keep.

The best way to live is to have plans to eventually relocate back to Nigeria and invest the money you worked for in a business. Nigeria is a good place to do business if you have the capital. Setting up a business abroad is very difficult and if you make any mistake, you can be sued out of all your investments.

You are telling this story to someone who has lived all over the place?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 7:47pm On Aug 07, 2012
werepeLeri:

For a Nigerian to ask this question, you know that people are really suffering in Nigeria.

Haba!! $10.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 7:47pm On Aug 07, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

What?

I also have a bike, but God forbid if I live another month without a car.

How do you go shopping, go to appointments, research, etc?

You guys must have a great bus service over there.

I don't take the bus, or the train( I limit that to special occasions-- I still ride my bike to the busstop). I have a basket on the back of my bike and I only try to buy what fits in it. grin grin grin grin

I am getting a new bike so I can ride to church in more style every sunday. grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (23) (Reply)

Ghanaian Man Grinds Pepper Inside An Airplane (photos) / Accident On Calabar Itu Highway (Graphic Photos) / Which Nice Country Can I Relocate To Legally With ₦8m?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.