Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,296 members, 7,829,681 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:28 AM

Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? (41656 Views)

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Nigerians In Nigeria Versus Nigerians In Diaspora! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 7:47pm On Aug 07, 2012
dayokanu:

If they cant boast of $10 saving how do they now get the billions they send through western union yearly

You dont know the meaning of savings?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 7:47pm On Aug 07, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

What?

I also have a bike, but God forbid if I live another month without a car.

How do you go shopping, go to appointments, research, etc?

You guys must have a great bus service over there.

^^ grin grin. Thats oyinbo lifestyle for you. I had this professor who rode a bike to school, all in the name of saving the planet. grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 7:48pm On Aug 07, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

For a Nigerian to ask this question, you know that people are really suffering in Nigeria.

Haba!! $10.

Story. Go and find out. Dont believe what your mind tells you.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by manny4life(m): 7:49pm On Aug 07, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

What?

I also have a bike, but God forbid if I live another month without a car.

How do you go shopping, go to appointments, research, etc?

You guys must have a great bus service over there.

Sister, car isn't everything. Let me agree with Kobo on this one. In DC, I often rely on the train rather than drive and with Capital Bikeshare, EASY. Although I wouldn't trade in my car, nevertheless, I won't run miles on it either. I have other greener commuting options grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by drzed: 7:49pm On Aug 07, 2012
2sexy: All this one wey ppl dey talk say things hard 4abroad, yet dem no wan com home.

Most people contaminate others mind just because they couldn't make it. I have come to realise that life is like school. Some pass and some fail. You are either on the other side, never both.

My school in Naija for instance, people would go out and say it is so hard to cope with academic activities. Imagine the effect that would cause if someone listen to them. Such a person wouldn't even know that the person telling him or her such is among the group who are scared, lack confidence or faith, lazy and not willing to work or read.

Such is life.

I love your analogy about life being a school and no sitting on the fence.

But as for your first statement, it is usually people based IN Nigeria who tend to claim/wish/portray/hope/lie/pray/think/argue/contend or insinuate that things are hard for everyone that is based abroad.

I wonder why.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by coogar: 7:49pm On Aug 07, 2012
tpia@:

huh?

are you saying coogar has been typing from outside the uk, like say mushin or okokomaiko?

you grew up in these areas so you'd know them.....typical village woman...

werepeLeri:

LOL. Who do you mix with while in Nigeria?

people like you, i suppose....
people who talk big and dream big but with no substance.....
nigeria is good, nigeria is lovely and this happened.............https://www.nairaland.com/767203/fred-olawale-makanjuola-crystal-services#9208574

7000 educated people scammed by one ordinary man because of a canadian visa.
canada of all places.....
i laugh in patience goodluck!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 7:49pm On Aug 07, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

^^ grin grin. Thats oyinbo lifestyle for you. I had this professor who rode a bike to school, all in the name of saving the planet. grin

OH! I am not in it to save the planet. I ride it because it is cool, easier to get around with, and great way to keep in shape, eat anything I want, save money on car insurance, loans, etc. And find the best people to hang out with. Many of the professionals here do it.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ronkebp(f): 7:51pm On Aug 07, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

For a Nigerian to ask this question, you know that people are really suffering in Nigeria.

Haba!! $10.

Am telling you!!! a guy came here last year with his wife, so my neighbour made pepper soup....if you see how the guy was running his mouth saying...OMG!!!! this IS enjoyment oooo, that he has never drank peppersoup while he was in Nigeria, except during parties or christmas. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 7:51pm On Aug 07, 2012
coogar:

you grew up in these areas so you'd know them.....typical village woman...

people like you, i suppose....
people who talk big and dream big but with no substance.....
nigeria is good, nigeria is lovely and this happened.............https://www.nairaland.com/767203/fred-olawale-makanjuola-crystal-services#9208574

7000 educated people scammed by one ordinary man because of a canadian visa.
canada of all places.....
i laugh in patience goodluck!

You better zip it and dont go personal because you dont know me. Zip it out.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 7:51pm On Aug 07, 2012
Kobojunkie:

OH! I am not in it to save the planet. I ride it because it is cool, easier to get around with, and great way to keep in shape, eat anything I want, save money on car insurance, loans, etc. And find the best people to hang out with. Many of the professionals here do it.
grin grin Doesn't it get weird after a while.?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Aug 07, 2012
werepeLeri:

You are telling this story to someone who has lived all over the place?

No, I am just telling the ideal thing to do. Nigeria is a very nice place to be if you have money. In Nigeria you are surrounded by your family and friends. Abroad you have to swallow a lot of shyt from people because you are an immigrant.

Even though your passport is blue, Nigeria is still home and it is where you can feel free and not take shyt from anyone
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 7:52pm On Aug 07, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:
grin grin Doesn't it get weird after a while.?
hm. . weird in what sense? undecided
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by coogar: 7:52pm On Aug 07, 2012
werepeLeri:
You better zip it and dont go personal because you dont know me. Zip it out.

i don't need to know you to know what you epitomize.....
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dayokanu(m): 7:53pm On Aug 07, 2012
werepeLeri:

You dont know the meaning of savings?

is it not from their savings they send money home? or do you think its their rent they send to nigeria?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 7:53pm On Aug 07, 2012
pDude:

No, I am just telling the ideal thing to do. Nigeria is a very nice place to be if you have money. In Nigeria you are surrounded by your family and friends. Abroad you have to swallow a lot of shyt from people because you are an immigrant.

Even though your passport is blue, Nigeria is still home and it is where you can feel free and not take shyt from anyone

I aint joining issues with you- i am not arguing whether naija is better than America. Question is, are things still rosy or not. Please.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 7:54pm On Aug 07, 2012
dayokanu:

is it not from their savings they send money home? or do you think its their rent they send to nigeria?

You mean from their pay cheque? I see you dont know what savings is.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Aug 07, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Don't mind them. They just can't understand. They think US streets are like the streets of Mushin and Oshodi.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by tpia5: 7:54pm On Aug 07, 2012
Kobojunkie:

That is not true! There are no numbers to back this up so let us not now claim it is the case.

you're not very familiar with nigeria, so no need to argue.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 7:54pm On Aug 07, 2012
coogar:

i don't need to know you to know what you epitomize.....

I see its paining you - why not leave the thread?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 7:55pm On Aug 07, 2012
Kobojunkie:
In the sense that, you are likely to get stared at most of the time (since almost everyone has a car) Won't you get embarrassed while you have to ride a bike to visit your parents/family members(Or maybe they don't stay where you are staying). You are late for an appointment because you didnt get there on time e.t.c
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Aug 07, 2012
werepeLeri:

I aint joining issues with you- i am not arguing whether naija is better than America. Question is, are things still rosy or not. Please.

Ok. In all honesty I will answer you but define what you mean by rosy.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 7:55pm On Aug 07, 2012
tpia@:

you're not very familiar with nigeria, so no need to argue.

See this silly one. Is that really how you want to get away with this LIE ?? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by manny4life(m): 7:55pm On Aug 07, 2012
pDude:

LOL, @ though you passport is blue, but that blue passport opens way na, or don't it? grin grin grin Without that blue passport, you can't work most jobs in FG let alone hold security clearance. Anyway I get you, the blue passport helps but the Green one smells home grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by tpia5: 7:55pm On Aug 07, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:
is there a way to save money after paying utility bills, rent/mortgage, Tv bills, e.t.c

yes.

depends on how much you spend on other things.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Aug 07, 2012
dayokanu:

Check that link I posted.

Service flats in Nigeria way back 2007 was around $50k per annum and Its only reasonable for it to be $70k this year

On this same nairaland, Go to property section and search for service flats and see the prices.

You missed my point. I noted that i lived in VGC during my short transfer to indicate that those prices are not the same everywhere. Heck there is like a billion naira land up for sale in ikoyi(by banana island or something). It doesn't mean its the average thing. You can get beautiful duplexes for 3million - 3.5 in lekki and ajah.
There are 1million dollar homes in the US and at the same time you have beautiful 120000 dollar homes.
It's not as expensive as you put it. You don't have to pay all that much to live the life you live in yankee. How much be diesel, borehole, internet and security guard if you have a good job in naija...
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by tpia5: 7:56pm On Aug 07, 2012
Kobojunkie:

See this silly one. Is that really how you want to get away with this LIE ?? undecided undecided undecided

knock yourself out dear.

i have nothing to prove to you.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by kokoye(m): 7:56pm On Aug 07, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

But with a minimum wage job?? not really.Don't forget that they have to pay tons of bills.

I dont know where you live but come to Texas when you have time. I will show you loads of illegal mexicans working hard and making good cash. Yea, maybe the things you wouldnt do. Building, road maintenance, handy work, food items, etc.

These guys are not looking for the kind of jobs you have - they prefer to work hard with their hands and get the cash. Hard work and long hours I agree. But I'll choose that over taking bribes and going to beg uncles or aunties for handout.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 7:56pm On Aug 07, 2012
I have a few British friends who went back to look for work because the benefits they were getting from the government had been cut off- to them, things are no more rosy.

I have a few British friends who graduated from Uni and has no jobs. To them, things are not rosy.

I know Nigerian guys who used to earn 1500 pounds a week from IT contracts( I used to earn that in London), but now, they cant even get one contract - to them, things are no more rosy.

The British for example agree things are dull, down and not as before, but my Naija guy wants you to believe, no, the British guys are wrong, things are still as rosy as before, in fact, better.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by coogar: 7:57pm On Aug 07, 2012
werepeLeri:

I see its paining you - why not leave the thread?

it's not paining me....just putting it down that you are clueless comparing life abroad to the life in naija.
little did you know that the nigerians in diaspora pumped a total of $9 billion alone to naija economy on money transfers alone last year.....
that excludes the money given to aunty tpia going to naija or aunty kobojunkie going to abuja -
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 07, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:
In the sense that, you are likely to get stared at most of the time (since almost everyone has a car) Won't you get embarrassed while you have to ride a bike to visit your parents/family member(Or maybe they don't stay where you are staying.

Let me answer your question.

Sometimes, you might just be opportuned to see a famous celebrity like Brad Pitt riding a bike or the CEO of a multibillion dollar corporation riding a bike to work in the morning. Here it is a common practice to ride bikes.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by kokoye(m): 7:58pm On Aug 07, 2012
werepeLeri: I have a few British friends who went back to look for work because the benefits they were getting from the government had been cut off- to them, things are no more rosy.

I have a few British friends who graduated from Uni and has no jobs. To them, things are not rosy.

I know Nigerian guys who used to earn 1500 pounds a week from IT contracts( I used to earn that in London), but now, they cant even get one contract - to them, things are no more rosy.

The British for example agree things are dull, down and not as before, but my Naija guy wants you to believe, no, the British guys are wrong, things are still as rosy as before, in fact, better.

Exactly. And that's why I said it depends on which side you are looking from.

Life is not rosy ANYWHERE. We have to try, work hard and pray for favor.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 7:58pm On Aug 07, 2012
coogar:

it's not paining me....just putting it down that you are clueless comparing life abroad to the life in naija.
little did you know that the nigerians in diaspora pumped a total of $9 billion alone to naija economy on money transfers alone.....
that excludes the money given to aunty tpia going to naija or aunty kobojunkie going to abuja -

You lack the ability to think. Who is making a comparison? Abeg- walk past.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (23) (Reply)

Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. / UK Set To Ban Nigerian Students, Others From Bringing Their Families Over / Man Wanted To Pay For His Transport Fare With Bank Transfer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.