Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,433 members, 7,830,181 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? (41662 Views)

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Nigerians In Nigeria Versus Nigerians In Diaspora! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by tpia5: 7:58pm On Aug 07, 2012
werepeLeri: I have a few British friends who went back to look for work because the benefits they were getting from the government had been cut off- to them, things are no more rosy.

I have a few British friends who graduated from Uni and has no jobs. To them, things are not rosy.

I know Nigerian guys who used to earn 1500 pounds a week from IT contracts( I used to earn that in London), but now, they cant even get one contract - to them, things are no more rosy.

The British for example agree things are dull, down and not as before, but my Naija guy wants you to believe, no, the British guys are wrong, things are still as rosy as before, in fact, better.

they still have to hang in there if they're allowed to do so because once you leave nigeria, its not so easy to go back.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Aug 07, 2012
manny4life:

LOL, @ though you passport is blue, but that blue passport opens way na, or don't it? grin grin grin Without that blue passport, you can't work most jobs in FG let alone hold security clearance. Anyway I get you, the blue passport helps but the Green one smells home grin grin grin

That's right bruv. grin

Ain't nothing better than a dual citizenship.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by manny4life(m): 7:59pm On Aug 07, 2012
werepeLeri:

You mean from their pay cheque? I see you dont know what savings is.

$10, YES a lot of olks have $10 savings, $10,000 and that's a different ball game altogether. Nevertheless, you we have to know what kind of savings you speak of. Most people might not have physical cash (current assets) savings in the bank, but a lot of them have them tied up in short/long term investment such as retirement savings account, etc
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 8:00pm On Aug 07, 2012
pDude:

Let me answer your question.

Sometimes, you might just be opportuned to see a famous celebrity like Brad Pitt riding a bike or the CEO of a multibillion dollar corporation riding a bike to work in the morning. Here it is a common practice to ride bikes.
oh ok, because where i live. There isn't a lot of people riding bikes. matter of fact rarely would you see people riding bikes.(except in the summer, when the weather is good). everyone here has a car/motorcycle or they just ride on the bus. undecided
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 8:00pm On Aug 07, 2012
manny4life:

$10, YES a lot of olks have $10 savings, $10,000 and that's a different ball game altogether. Nevertheless, you we have to know what kind of savings you speak of. Most people might not have physical cash (current assets) savings in the bank, but a lot of them have them tied up in short/long term investment such as retirement savings account, etc

Are those the type of people you assume I am talking about?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by coogar: 8:00pm On Aug 07, 2012
werepeLeri:

You lack the ability to think. Who is making a comparison? Abeg- walk past.

you are a simpleton...people like yourself have been bigging up nigeria....
did you not say you wanted to engage uk-based nigerians in your idiotic diatribe? faced with facts now, you are no longer interested in comparing?
stiffen your index finger and sit on it...
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 8:01pm On Aug 07, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:
In the sense that, you are likely to get stared at most of the time (since almost everyone has a car) Won't you get embarrassed while you have to ride a bike to visit your parents/family member(Or maybe they don't stay where you are staying.

I see it more as me doing something that I believe works best for me, and others should embrace.

I mean yes, I understand that the typical African mind out there, even here in the US, still associate bikes with poverty but I believe by showing that it should not be that way, I can get people to rethink these things. So many in the African community here are overweight, unhealthy and over-stressed. Many of them live about 10 minutes from where they work yet they feel that they need to live that life that OTHER PEOPLE want them to live, rather than the life that they ought to live for themselves.

My Family members support me. I had to rely on my mum for money to change my tire and to update my wheels back last fall when I was in school fulltime. They feel no shame for me and I feel no shame riding cause it is fun and I do it daily with well over 10,000 people across Chicago each day.

The roads are great here, we even have bike lanes. I just got up one morning and realized that what I needed was a way to get from A to B, not have to spend 1 hour in traffic, and still get something essential which is exercise and stress relief. I got a bike one weekend and that was it. I never looked back. I ride about 10 miles each day, I look better than before. My Stress levels are down, I am healthy and cheerier. Saves a lot of time, and all because I decided to make a choice that everyone makes everyday, COMMUTE, but in a different way.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Aug 07, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:
oh ok, because where i live. There isn't a lot of people riding bikes. matter of fact rarely would you see people riding bikes.(except in the summer, when the weather is good). everyone here has a car/motorcycle or they just ride on the bus. undecided

I assume you live in California.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by GudluckIBB(m): 8:01pm On Aug 07, 2012
#%&@:
oma easy vbe germany.. grin

Ovbiedo kpataki.
Aitamagbe vbe agha rie italy!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 8:01pm On Aug 07, 2012
coogar:

you are a simpleton...people like yourself have been bigging up nigeria....
did you not say you wanted to engage uk-based nigerians in your idiotic diatribe? faced with facts now, you are no longer interested in comparing?
stiffen your index finger and sit on it...

Ride on. People like you who resort to abuse to make a point are not worth my time. I wonder where I said I want to engage UK based Nigerians. Someone must have peed in his trouser. U suck big time.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Aug 07, 2012
manny4life:

Sister, car isn't everything. Let me agree with Kobo on this one. In DC, I often rely on the train rather than drive and with Capital Bikeshare, EASY. Although I wouldn't trade in my car, nevertheless, I won't run miles on it either. I have other greener commuting options grin grin grin

I think it depends on where you live o.
My state has a very bad transportation system (which they're currently rectifying), no train or that sort.
Maybe it's easier for you "grown" folks, but for moi, it's hell.
Shopping centers aren't that close by, I have research that requires traveling long distances, Events I'll have to go to. My saving grace is that my job is on my campus.
Currently shopping for a car, hopefully I'll find one before school is back in session.
My bike can only carry so much and go so far.

Kobojunkie:

I don't take the bus, or the train( I limit that to special occasions-- I still ride my bike to the busstop). I have a basket on the back of my bike and I only try to buy what fits in it. grin grin grin grin

I am getting a new bike so I can ride to church in more style every sunday. grin grin grin grin

LOL you're special Kobo.

I can't do it. cheesy
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 8:02pm On Aug 07, 2012
pDude:

nope.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by manny4life(m): 8:04pm On Aug 07, 2012
werepeLeri:

Are those the type of people you assume I am talking about?

Oh ok o, I thought you were making a general statement of how many people who travel to U.S. have $10 savings? Ok bro, I got you...

pDude:

That's right bruv. grin

Ain't nothing better than a dual citizenship.

Nothing wrong at dual... I endorse it grin grin grin

If I could have another citizenship through great works like most of these celebrities are honored with, shoot, I'll love it. grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 8:04pm On Aug 07, 2012
pDude:

You don't need to wait for others though. You can set the trend yourself. I remember when I started there were hardly any other black people on the road and even at the school with me. Not the same story this year. More and more black females are coming out and blinging it!! Black guys too but many of those I am not too sure of.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by coogar: 8:04pm On Aug 07, 2012
werepeLeri:

Ride on. People like you who resort to abuse to make a point are not worth my time. I wonder where I said I want to engage UK based Nigerians. Someone must have peed in his trouser.

you'd know...you ejaculate whenever you sniff tpia around...you obnoxious sex deviant!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by kushe: 8:05pm On Aug 07, 2012
Who read today's front page article of the guardian? It reads Nigerians bemoan rate of unemployment,seek action. I fall into the category of comfortable semi returnees but then make we no lie,what is the size of nigeria's privileged class. I once told someone to add all the plum jobs in the IOCs,telecomms,banking and allied financial services,Fast moving consumer goods sectors,the breweries and maybe international charities like the DFIDs and USAIDs of this world.Are those jobs,two million ? I seriously doubt it,yet 3.2 million people have been unleashed on the labour Market in 2010/2011.

Let me break it down for you,Nigeria's revenue is declining,foolishness and corruption is on the increase,our population is ballooning, infrastructure is decaying. Graduates cannot find work,hence the multiplier effect of their engagement is non existent meaning existing businesses will suffer the impact of lower anticipated revenues and to stay afloat,more jobs will have to be slashed and hence further shrinking of the economy.Brace up Nigeria, with these fools in government,Nigeria is simply to hell what a shower is before a dip in the pool.

Nowhere is immune to the meltdown but Nigeria's response is a classic calamity.Wonder why ritual killings and kidnappings are on the rise and for all my people,sitting pretty in 1004, Lekki , Ikoyi and all the posh estates scattered around the metropolis,how do you intend to enjoy your privileged status with so many hungry mouths around. We can live in gated communities, but we have house helps,nannies, cooks ,drivers,dispatch riders and cleaners at work. We can run,but we cant hide from this monster we have allowed the Nigerian government to create.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by tpia5: 8:05pm On Aug 07, 2012
@ coogar

are you hallucinating?

or is this a lame attempt to cover for your co-partner (you know who he is).
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 8:06pm On Aug 07, 2012
coogar:

you'd know...you ejaculate whenever you sniff tpia around...you obnoxious sex deviant!

Ride on. Do you have more abuse to rant on cyber space?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Aug 07, 2012
Life isn't rosy anywhere, it's just left for the individual to make the best out of wherever he/she is - either in Nigeria, or in 'diaspora'.... I don't know why people pick out isolated cases to justify either side of the aisle... I've met Nigerians who live in Nigeria and work a normal job, who're better off than most people who're employed in the UK - and I've seen poverty in Nigeria on TV (lol).

Basically, if you lead a normal life in Nigeria, there's no point leaving that - for the unknown... And if you earn enough to feed yourself, family, pay your bills, and lead a comfortable life in 'diaspora' - there's also no point leaving that for the unknown in Nigeria...

Think before you make a leap - and don't always believe the hype... Those who would hype both places to you, are the same people who would leave you for dead when you make that leap to the other side... I've met a lot of Nigerians who were kicked out on cold winter nights by their families, and friends - and left for dead in UK... And I've helped a lot of people as well with shelter... I can't really say much about what newbies in Nigeria go through....
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Aug 07, 2012
@werepeLeri stop bickering and answer my question pls. What do you mean by "Rosy"
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by NovusHomo(m): 8:07pm On Aug 07, 2012
Hope this leads to the end of Western Union transactions, IJN.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by coogar: 8:08pm On Aug 07, 2012
kushe: Who read today's front page article of the guardian? It reads Nigerians bemoan rate of unemployment,seek action. I fall into the category of comfortable semi returnees but then make we no lie,what is the size of nigeria's privileged class. I once told someone to add all the plum jobs in the IOCs,telecomms,banking and allied financial services,Fast moving consumer goods sectors,the breweries and maybe international charities like the DFIDs and USAIDs of this world.Are those jobs,two million ? I seriously doubt it,yet 3.2 million people have been unleashed on the labour Market in 2010/2011.

Let me break it down for you,Nigeria's revenue is declining,foolishness and corruption is on the increase,our population is ballooning, infrastructure is decaying. Graduates cannot find work,hence the multiplier effect of their engagement is non existent meaning existing businesses will suffer the impact of lower anticipated revenues and to stay afloat,more jobs will have to be slashed and hence further shrinking of the economy.Brace up Nigeria, with these fools in government,Nigeria is simply to hell what a shower is before a dip in the pool.

Nowhere is immune to the meltdown but Nigeria's response is a classic calamity.Wonder why ritual killings and kidnappings are on the rise and for all my people,sitting pretty in 1004, Lekki , Ikoyi and all the posh estates scattered around the metropolis,how do you intend to enjoy your privileged status with so many hungry mouths around. We can live in gated communities, but we have house helps,nannies, cooks ,drivers,dispatch riders and cleaners at work. We can run,but we cant hide from this monster we have allowed the Nigerian government to create.

you deserve a nobel prize for this piece...
well done, sir....

tpia@:
ok, who is werepeleri?

what was his other id?

and what concerns me with all this?

your knight in a shiny armour...your part-time lover....your bedfellow to be. grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ronkebp(f): 8:08pm On Aug 07, 2012
pDude: @werepeLeri stop bickering and answer my question pls. What do you mean by "Rosy"

The NAME OF THE GIRL THAT LIVED Behind his uncle's house.grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ocelot2006(m): 8:08pm On Aug 07, 2012
ronkebp:

per year or monthly?

Monthly.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ronkebp(f): 8:09pm On Aug 07, 2012
ocelot2006:

Monthly.

N500k part, monthly is nice.....
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 8:09pm On Aug 07, 2012
kushe: Who read today's front page article of the guardian? It reads Nigerians bemoan rate of unemployment,seek action. I fall into the category of comfortable semi returnees but then make we no lie,what is the size of nigeria's privileged class. I once told someone to add all the plum jobs in the IOCs,telecomms,banking and allied financial services,Fast moving consumer goods sectors,the breweries and maybe international charities like the DFIDs and USAIDs of this world.Are those jobs,two million ? I seriously doubt it,yet 3.2 million people have been unleashed on the labour Market in 2010/2011.

Are you sure you are in Nigeria? Because according to stories on Nairaland, Nigeria is improving -- forget the numbers they say.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Aug 07, 2012
Kobojunkie:

You don't need to wait for others though. You can set the trend yourself. I remember when I started there were hardly any other black people on the road and even at the school with me. Not the same story this year. More and more black females are coming out and blinging it!! Black guys too but many of those I am not too sure of.

Try riding your bike in Texas and see if you wont get KNOCKED THE FEeCK off by the "Big in Texas" TRUCKS.
Heck, if i see you or one of those oyinbo people preaching "work out/saving the planet crap" while riding your bike, i will personally clear you off the road. Work out ko work out ni. What is LA fitness there for. I got one barely 1.5miles away and i DRIVE there...PROUDLY TOO. tongue
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by manny4life(m): 8:10pm On Aug 07, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

I think it depends on where you live o.
My state has a very bad transportation system (which they're currently rectifying), no train or that sort.
Maybe it's easier for you "grown" folks, but for moi, it's hell.
Shopping centers aren't that close by, I have research that requires traveling long distances, Events I'll have to go to. My saving grace is that my job is on my campus.
Currently shopping for a car, hopefully I'll find one before school is back in session.
My bike can only carry so much and go so far.

LOL you're special Kobo.

I can't do it. cheesy

That's why I pay premium for my rent, I live about 12mins walk to the metro station, on the highway I live at, I have two Walmart, one target, home depot, Sears, Costco (coming soon), and the clothing stores and eateries are just so much. Therefore, the WMATA bus runs like OFTEN, although I don't use it though but in all, most of them are walkable distances. Transportation in the part of VA where I live is really reliable and efficient.

I can imagine how FL is because when I was in FL back in 06 for my exchange course, took aeronautics/flying course, I stayed in Daytona, it was hell but I can understand anyhow.Well since you work on campus, you should ride for free na, don't you?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Zechy09: 8:10pm On Aug 07, 2012
It depends on how you look at things. It is not that bad in the UK. I keep getting calls from recruitment agencies asking me to quit my job and move to a new company so i would tell you for a fact that there are jobs everywhere cool. It just depends on your sector and favor. All my friends here have gotten professional jobs so i see no reason to feel that people in UK are suffering. It may not be compared to some naija jobs but it is better than the average naija job and conditions are very ok here.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by coogar: 8:11pm On Aug 07, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Are you sure you are in Nigeria? Because according to stories on Nairaland, Nigeria is improving -- forget the numbers they say.

don't mind the charlatans.....which naija is improving?
it's declining everyday. it has gotten so bad that bank employees now get sacked via text messages!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Aug 07, 2012

You are like a drink of cold beer on a hot summer's day. Wise comment.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 8:11pm On Aug 07, 2012
A-town:

Try riding your bike in Texas and see if you wont get KNOCKED THE FEeCK off by the "Big in Texas" TRUCKS.
Heck, if i see you or one of those oyinbo people preaching "work out/saving the planet crap" while riding your bike, i will personally clear you off the road. Work out ko work out ni. What is LA fitness there for. I got one barely 1.5miles away and i DRIVE there...PROUDLY TOO. tongue

In Houston there are over 300 miles of bikeway. I am sure other towns/cities have em too.

If you think you can get away with hitting a cyclist, you better do some research. Some of the hardest sentences have been handed over to people with your mindset in the last couple of years, and Bicycle Activist groups are all over the place making sure that people who think they own the road are aware that they do not.

P.S You do know we all pay the same when it comes to taxes to fix those roads and highways?

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (23) (Reply)

Idanre Town - A Scenic Treasure In The Mountains. / UK Set To Ban Nigerian Students, Others From Bringing Their Families Over / Man Wanted To Pay For His Transport Fare With Bank Transfer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.