Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,562 members, 7,850,930 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:59 AM

Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? - Travel (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? (41929 Views)

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Nigerians In Nigeria Versus Nigerians In Diaspora! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Aug 07, 2012
Kay-Dee:

[size=13pt] Biking in Houston won't get you too far, unless by bike, u mean "power bike" . If you don't have a car in Houston, u're quarter to being f***kd [/size]

No mind am. Make e come houston enter I10 begin dey ride bicycle na.

dayokanu:

I cancelled my LA Fitness, Most apartments now have gyms in the complex
We all have different reasons why we leave our homes to go to the gym. tongue

pDude:

Me sef I'm considering moving there too. Heard there are good opportunities there.

Abegoo make una stay where una dey. Leave Texas alone before una carry bad bell unemployment enter our side..LWKMD
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by kokoye(m): 8:37pm On Aug 07, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

LOL ewwww. Esp those ppl who like putting their armpit over your head.

I'm moving because One particular school has the best rating for my program. And something about Texas just calls to me; same climate as over here, and not too expensive (FL is a retirement state, quite expensive).

Let me know when and / or if you decide to move to Houston.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by manny4life(m): 8:37pm On Aug 07, 2012
tpia@:

the dc metro area is one of the best places to live, commuter wise.

not as crowded as new york (that might be changing though) and a bus stop/metro station on every corner.

unless someone moves to the suburbs, transportation is no problem.

The DC metro area is actually GOOD, I love it don't get me wrong, that's what I tell Ileke, transport isn't a problem, in fact DC is ranked 2nd in transportation but how about the cost? It ain't cheap, you know how much my rent is?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by KayDee4: 8:38pm On Aug 07, 2012
pDude:
Me sef I'm considering moving there too. Heard there are good opportunities there.
ronkebp: i want to move, because of the fun, i hear they always have. Philly is boring....

[size=13pt] @Ronke Texas ain't no fun , well not as lively as it is up north.
@pDude, as per opportunities, u're damn right, its the place to be but still not 'a bed of roses'.
[/size]
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by tpia5: 8:38pm On Aug 07, 2012
dayokanu:

nothing sucks like waiting for the metro bus in 100 degree sun

how about waiting in the snow.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by kushe: 8:39pm On Aug 07, 2012
If you don't send,you can live your entire life in London without owning one car. In London,if u wanna form say ground don dey level,u do it not necessarily with wheels but with your postcode. where does the postman send ur letters.Destination, 1 Hyde Park IJN like they say in naija. Lol.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ronkebp(f): 8:39pm On Aug 07, 2012
tpia@:

Now, i will take the summer heat over the snow...any effing day.....i hate the cold with a passion.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dayokanu(m): 8:39pm On Aug 07, 2012
kokoye:

She is going to Austin . She is going to UT
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 8:39pm On Aug 07, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

Ok so i will believe any other thing, but that bolded statement i won't believe. 20 cars in your mid twenties, Is your father a car maker?? Even obama gan hasn't had that much cars in his lifetime.

LOL. Thank you. Some people think everyone on the internet is dumb.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 8:40pm On Aug 07, 2012
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by tpia5: 8:40pm On Aug 07, 2012
shymmex:

I'm in my mid-20s, and I've owned more than 20 super nice cars since I started driving

that figure is rather high, and not very favourable to you, imo.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by manny4life(m): 8:41pm On Aug 07, 2012
dayokanu:

You dare not walk in Houston or Dallas.

Those places as soo far away.

Walking on Beltway 8, or 59 in Houston, 635, George Bush turnpike, Loop 12 (In Dallas) Can land you anywhere from the morgue to to orthopaedic)

Drivers in Texas as also some of the craziest.
When I just got to Houston, I missed my bus the last of the day. And I trekked almost 3hours to get home, What you can do 15-20 drive

I won't even try it, if there's no car or at least the train, forget walking, not me...

Ileke-IdI:

Nooooo too much NIgerians. Una go kill me. . . . grin grin

Look at you, calling me Nigerians, grin grin grin please, I heard that opportunities are there, but I'm going for other reasons, explore different ideas.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by tpia5: 8:42pm On Aug 07, 2012
ronkebp:

Now, i will take the summer heat over the snow...any effing day.....i hate the cold with a passion.

na obodo oyinbo oh.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 8:42pm On Aug 07, 2012
Houston even had it's own Naked Bike ride
http://www.houstonpress.com/slideshow/world-naked-bike-ride-2012-snsfw-37010601/

And I bet those of you who think it is IMPOSSIBLE to cycle in Houston never saw them but it happened right there in HOuston. And I bet they have their Critical mass rides every last friday too.4

http://houstoncriticalmass.com/
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by manny4life(m): 8:42pm On Aug 07, 2012
tpia@:

I'll rather wait in snow than in heat... FACT.

With snow, I can cover up very well, besides, my body repels heat and loves cold, so I can do snow better than heat.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by tpia5: 8:43pm On Aug 07, 2012
^you must be from jos or its environs.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ronkebp(f): 8:44pm On Aug 07, 2012
dayokanu:

You dare not walk in Houston or Dallas.

Those places as soo far away.

Walking on Beltway 8, or 59 in Houston, 635, George Bush turnpike, Loop 12 (In Dallas) Can land you anywhere from the morgue to to orthopaedic)

Drivers in Texas as also some of the craziest.
When I just got to Houston, I missed my bus the last of the day. And I trekked almost 3hours to get home, What you can do 15-20 drive

Must have burnt alot of calories, 3 hr walk is the way to go!!!!!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Afam4eva(m): 8:44pm On Aug 07, 2012
It seems everyone is moving to Texas. Me sef dey go Texas Texaco bus/stop, Orile.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 8:45pm On Aug 07, 2012
afam4eva: It seems everyone is moving to Texas. Me sef dey go Texas Texaco bus/stop, Orile.

LOL.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dayokanu(m): 8:45pm On Aug 07, 2012
Kay-Dee:

[size=13pt] @Ronke Texas ain't no fun , well not as lively as it is up north.
@pDude, as per opportunities, u're damn right, its the place to be but still not 'a bed of roses'.
[/size]

Actually Texas is good for Nigerians because the weather is similar to nigeria though can be very hot in Summer.

Texas is business friendl all the major corporations are moving to texas cos of the favourable tax regimes

Dallas and Austin are becoming a huge IT hub. Companies like Dell, IBM, Oracle, are already there or moving there

Many banks are also moving their operations to Texas. JPMorgan was the first to open followed by Citi and I heard BoA is moving too.

Texas. Houston Specifically is the Oil capital of the whole world. All Oil Companies have huge offices in Houston.

If you are a Naija Owambe person, then there is no reason you shouldnt move to Houston you would party like you are in oshodi

Most of the Naija Politicians and businessmen also frequent the area and have one or two houses/businesses there.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Aug 07, 2012
tpia@:

that figure is rather high, and not very favourable to you, imo.

That's the problem with you pagans, you always think everyone is lying..

If you live in the UK, you would know people who have owned more than 30 cars in 6 -7 years...

Buy a slightly damaged car for cheap, fix it up, use it for 3 - 4 months - and sell it off for almost twice the price you got it for...

Some people do that for a living smh... And why should I lie
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by manny4life(m): 8:46pm On Aug 07, 2012
ronkebp:

Must have burnt alot of calories, 3 hr walk is the way to go!!!!!

Burnt a lot of calories? lol... grin grin grin grin Add to it, his shoe soles suffered from the walking, walking is not easy o...let alone 3hrs, kudos to you.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by megachuks(m): 8:46pm On Aug 07, 2012
LFJ:

I believe at the right time your luck too will smile. When you have opportunity for interview, let us remember that, that is just a step, many people will be invited and mostly one luckiest person will be selected. What I noticed from most of our brothers and sisters is that we prefer short cut. If you rely on your Nigeria certificate to gain a professional job in US, it may not be easy because most of the recruiters or employers of labor don't trust our certificate. There is no doubt that the initial stage is always tough, but if you can try and forget who you are back home and face the reality in your new home the sky is the limit.
that's true
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Aug 07, 2012
kokoye:

Kk, would be nice to holla at my Ekiti brother.

Long time smiley

manny4life:
Look at you, calling me Nigerians, grin grin grin please, I heard that opportunities are there, but I'm going for other reasons, explore different ideas.

lol once in a while. Don't get used to it. grin

Everyone has a reason. Goodluck with yours. smiley
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ronkebp(f): 8:47pm On Aug 07, 2012
tpia@:

na obodo oyinbo oh.

i know faa!! do i have a choice wink
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by manny4life(m): 8:48pm On Aug 07, 2012
dayokanu:

Actually Texas is good for Nigerians because the weather is similar to nigeria though can be very hot in Summer.

Texas is business friendl all the major corporations are moving to texas cos of the favourable tax regimes

Dallas and Austin are becoming a huge IT hub. Companies like Dell, IBM, Oracle, are already there or moving there

Many banks are also moving their operations to Texas. JPMorgan was the first to open followed by Citi and I heard BoA is moving too.

Texas. Houston Specifically is the Oil capital of the whole world. All Oil Companies have huge offices in Houston.

If you are a Naija Owambe person, then there is no reason you shouldnt move to Houston you would party like you are in oshodi

Most of the Naija Politicians and businessmen also frequent the area and have one or two houses/businesses there.

You see, that's what I'm talking about... Let's get the party started smiley smiley smiley
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Aug 07, 2012
Kobojunkie: Houston even had it's own Naked Bike ride
http://www.houstonpress.com/slideshow/world-naked-bike-ride-2012-snsfw-37010601/

And I bet those of you who think it is IMPOSSIBLE to cycle in Houston never saw them but it happened right there in HOuston. And I bet they have their Critical mass rides every last friday too.4

http://houstoncriticalmass.com/
shocked shocked shocked shocked

I'm in!! cool

Kobojunkie: Here is a meetup for cyclists in Houston

http://www.meetup.com/HoustonCyclingClub/

http://www.bikehouston.org/

http://www.bayoucityoutdoors.com/clubportal/clubstatic.cfm?clubID=3&pubmenuoptID=9081

http://www.houstonbicycleclub.org/Pages/HomePage.aspx

These people are riding on roads in Houston.Not on water.

This sounds lovely.

Good exercise and groups makes it more "competitive" and fun.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ronkebp(f): 8:48pm On Aug 07, 2012
afam4eva: It seems everyone is moving to Texas. Me sef dey go Texas Texaco bus/stop, Orile.

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ronkebp(f): 8:49pm On Aug 07, 2012
manny4life:

You see, that's what I'm talking about... Let's get the party started smiley smiley smiley

gBAMM!!! JUST tell me the colour of gele, so i can match-up with my shoes and bag.wink wink
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 8:49pm On Aug 07, 2012
shymmex:

That's the problem with you pagans, you always think everyone is lying..

If you live in the UK, you would know people who have owned more than 30 cars in 6 -7 years...

Buy a slightly damaged car for cheap, fix it up, use it for 3 - 4 months - and sell it off for almost twice the price you got it for...

Some people do that for a living smh... And why should I lie

hmmmm - I can see. You need to go join the Texas folks.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by manny4life(m): 8:50pm On Aug 07, 2012
tpia@:
^you must be from jos or its environs.

LOL... I just can't stand heat, I just can't. That's why I did not like FL when I was there.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by KayDee4: 8:50pm On Aug 07, 2012
Kobojunkie: Here is a meetup for cyclists in Houston

http://www.meetup.com/HoustonCyclingClub/

http://www.bikehouston.org/

http://www.bayoucityoutdoors.com/clubportal/clubstatic.cfm?clubID=3&pubmenuoptID=9081

http://www.houstonbicycleclub.org/Pages/HomePage.aspx

These people are riding on roads in Houston.Not on water.

[size=13pt] Biking to where kwanu ? They may be biking for fitness or for pleasure and know best to keep off the highways, u dare not, i repeat, dare not ride your bike onto the highway. Sometimes you can't drive to a destination 5 miles away without having to get on the highway, your best bet as a cyclist wld be the 'park and ride' (that's if you have one close to your house); however, the metro bus system is pretty screwed up.
[/size]

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (23) (Reply)

Herbert Macaulay Road, Yaba Has The Highest Number Of Pedestrian Bridges / Mikel Obi & Babymama Olga Loved Up In New Photo With Their Twin Babies / US Now Seeking Social Media Details From All Visa Applicants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.