Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,519 members, 7,812,612 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:13 PM

Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? (41449 Views)

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Nigerians In Nigeria Versus Nigerians In Diaspora! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ronkebp(f): 7:14pm On Aug 07, 2012
deshclones:

gibberish...hire mopol??as what?? chic get real...who knows you?. obafemi martins that stays a few blocks to ma place doesn't even use one not to talk of you....moreover must you stay in lekki?there are so many decent and secured estate on the island and mainland..do you know when last i heard about an armed robbery attack in my area??all you hear around here is some greedy domestic servants stealing stuffs off their masters...should i list good school for you?? comeoo...where do you even know in lagos or ph?or even calabar??do you even know nigeria atall or you base your facts on what you hear on NL..i have 24hrs water..who doesn't?how much does it cost to sink a borehole??..gen and inverter...and yes..alot of folks drive Mercedes,bentleys,rolls and what have you....you are just prejudiced by what you hear..i bet you've never set foot on nigeria...let eko ile catch you..you go hear am..spewing rubbish based on hearsay...

You lucky say, i dey here, i for come there come twist that yah mouth for you wink you want to tell me about my country again....omo no even try am...in as much as i love my Naija (everly, one love) the truth has to be told. especially if it is coming from people that have been opportuned to experience both places/ countries.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 7:16pm On Aug 07, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:
Please don't talk about something you don't know. Most of the kokoye's dont have good jobs. Because some of them are illegals they do under the table jobs. So where would kokoye's get $100 bills that they would be bringing out "cha-cha" unless they are getting those money through illegal activities.

There is nothing wrong with working those menial jobs though. As long as one works hard, one can still make good money. I talked to a woman who earned about $35,000 a year once and she talked of how she lacked in nothing as she believed making common sense financial choices was essential.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Aug 07, 2012
dayokanu:

And what happens to them after residency?

I am sure pdude would give you first hand experience.

I have a friend who is a doctor, the guy was telling me maybe he would go on the street and start hustling cos the thing doesnt pay at all in Nigeria.

I know several Doctors who are now bankers due to poor conditions of living

Oh boy if you see the lean 100 and something bar wey dem dey pay doctors, you go mess. After spending 7 long hard years in skol, one banking and finance or economics graduate who was flexing while you read, is earning almost 3 times what you earn. Oh boy, vex go enter your body o. Doctors are paid a pittance.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ronkebp(f): 7:17pm On Aug 07, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Oh Lord have mercy, since when did the mexicans become known as Kokoyes? I would not say the Mexicans work harder. I lean more towards the Indians.

Well upon my arrival to the US, that is what i heard the Nigerians call them....kokoye.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dayokanu(m): 7:17pm On Aug 07, 2012
manny4life: Dayo, let me ask you, so you're suggesting that U.S. is way better than Nigeria in cost of living? However, I have tens of cousins who have returned and are doing excellently well, and they don't even complain about it, so, what gives?

The fact is that nothing is for free anywhere in the world

You have to pay one way or the other

For you to live at the standard you are used to in US you have to live in a service flat. Cost of service flats can be up to $70,000 per year.

now tell me where in the US you would pay $70,000 for accomodation in somewhere is 1004 stadards. 1004 opposite Civic center in Ozumba Mbadiwe?

https://www.nairaland.com/478419/6-units-3bdr-service-flats
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 7:18pm On Aug 07, 2012
dayokanu:

And what happens to them after residency?

I am sure pdude would give you first hand experience.

I have a friend who is a doctor, the guy was telling me maybe he would go on the street and start hustling cos the thing doesnt pay at all in Nigeria.

I know several Doctors who are now bankers due to poor conditions of living

Big lie and you yourself know you are lieing..
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Aug 07, 2012
werepeLeri:

Guy no be lie o.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dayokanu(m): 7:20pm On Aug 07, 2012
werepeLeri:

What is the big lie? Ask pdude, he would tell you
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 7:21pm On Aug 07, 2012
pDude:

Guy no be lie o.

You know he is lieing. Tell him.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by ronkebp(f): 7:21pm On Aug 07, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:
Please don't talk about something you don't know. Most of the kokoye's dont have good paying jobs. Because some of them are illegals they do under the table jobs. So where would kokoye's get $100 bills that they would be bringing out "cha-cha"?? unless they are getting those money through illegal activities. If you were talking about the asains now i might believe you.

Excuse me!!!!! what do you know yourself? all those menial jobs they do, how much do you think they are being paid? do you think they work regular 8 hrs/40 hrs a week like others do? do you know how many over-time jobs they do? do you know how many diiferent jobs they do in a day to survive and make enough money to travel back with?.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Aug 07, 2012
werepeLeri:

You know he is lieing. Tell him.

Fortunately and unfortunately, he is telling the truth.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 7:23pm On Aug 07, 2012
One question I always want to ask. Why do Nigerians travel to the diaspora and begin to work round the clock - doing three to four jobs. Is that something to be envious about?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Aug 07, 2012
werepeLeri: One question I always want to ask. Why do Nigerians travel to the diaspora and begin to work round the clock - doing three to four jobs. Is that something to be envious about?

Because in the long run, your hustle will pay. In Nigeria you will hustle all your life with nothing to show for it on your deathbed.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Aug 07, 2012
manny4life:

Madam Ileke, you don't wanna live in Nigeria? cheesy cheesy cheesy

What are you afraid of... Don't you love your country anymore?

I love my country, especially my state.

I just don't love how undeveloped my country is right now.

I think it's better to live in Amerikka for a while, build up yourself, start business in Nigeria, then move back to Naija when you're financially successful. You cant live in Nigeria as a broke man. Broke = no rights.

Who hears when a broke man cries in the forest?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by deshclones(m): 7:25pm On Aug 07, 2012
ronkebp:

You lucky say, i dey here, i for come there come twist that yah mouth for you wink you want to tell me about my country again....omo no even try am...in as much as i love my Naija (everly, one love) the truth has to be told. especially if it is coming from people that have been opportuned to experience both places/ countries.

Chic YOU DON'T know shit abt naija...stop yarning dust...for you to ask of good schs,24hr light nd water means u r bereft of the millions of alternatives here or outrightly dumb..I personally chose d latter...

I would have loved to engage the uk based nigerians...but they are no where to be found ..guess they all went to do menial olympic jobs..hv never been to d u.s so can't argue well..but all ma previous assertion stands.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by manny4life(m): 7:25pm On Aug 07, 2012
dayokanu:

The fact is that nothing is for free anywhere in the world

You have to pay one way or the other

For you to live at the standard you are used to in US you have to live in a service flat. Cost of service flats can be up to $70,000 per year.

now tell me where in the US you would pay $70,000 for accomodation in somewhere is 1004 stadards. 1004 opposite Civic center?

WTH? $70,000? Tbh, looks like I'm out of touch from Nigerian reality embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

$70,000? I really have to make 20x that amount to pay such amount on rent, besides, that one won't be rent, that will simply be mortgage if Nigeria has one grin grin grin

Even my own rent here is already expensive as it is, my body dey pain me o for any increase or fees, when the fuc/kers added $70 to my rent as monthly increase in Dec last year, I lashed out on them, I told if they tried it again this year, they will see the other side of me. Then it's $70,000, they should wait o, Manny is on his way. grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by tpia5: 7:25pm On Aug 07, 2012
One question I always want to ask. Why do Nigerians travel to the diaspora and begin to work round the clock

not a good thing at all.

people do it to make more money and also because of the hours.

but its very stressful and also not necessarily the best option.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 7:27pm On Aug 07, 2012
ronkebp:

Excuse me!!!!! what do you know yourself? all those menial jobs they do, how much do you think they are being paid? do you think they work regular 8 hrs/40 hrs a week like others do? do you know how many over-time jobs they do? do you know how many diiferent jobs they do in a day to survive and make enough money to travel back with?.
I absolutely understand, but their is no way in hell you can get the biggest overtime in the world( and that is also impossible, because they are not the only one's at the job) working a minimum wage job and bring out $100 bills "cha cha cha". Unless they are working 18 of those jobs everyday. It is impossible.
P.S- A minimum wage job is $8 per hour, and some people that are illegals and are working under the table get paid less than that.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 7:27pm On Aug 07, 2012
Many of those Nigerians are living two lives, one in Nigeria and the other here in the US. They typically have families in Nigeria who they feel obligated to provide for and so you have the guy/girl who works two jobs so he can build that dream house in the village in 2 years or by that mercedes benz and paint or furnish that house back in Nigeria.

Not every Nigerian abroad works two or more jobs. And it is usually those in non-professional sectors that work the multiple jobs. And there is always the reason for why they choose that rather than going the one job/one paycheck way of getting what they need over time.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 07, 2012
ocelot2006:

Residents earn about N200k in Federal Govt. owned hospitals. Consultants earn much more (about N500k or so). That isn't so bad. That said doctors in the USA earn a lot more.

Yeah, those are the lucky ones that secure employment with government hospitals. Majority of doctors working in private hospitals in Nigeria are low income earners.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 7:28pm On Aug 07, 2012
pDude:

Because in the long run, your hustle will pay. In Nigeria you will hustle all your life with nothing to show for it on your deathbed.

Says who? So those who hustle in Nigeria dont make it? Nigeria must indeed be hell. Who are those who drive those cars I see on the streets and build those houses I see around town? People from abroad?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by tpia5: 7:29pm On Aug 07, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:
So where would kokoye's get $100 bills that they would be bringing out "cha-cha"?? .

actually, she's right.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 07, 2012
ronkebp:

Well upon my arrival to the US, that is what i heard the Nigerians call them....kokoye.

Why did you bother responding to the guy sef. If you don't know that nigerians call them kokoyes then akata should be strange to you too. Something wey don dey on ground since before them born George Bush sef. shio
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by tpia5: 7:31pm On Aug 07, 2012
I absolutely understand, but their is no way in hell you can get the biggest overtime in the world working a minimum wage job and bring out $100 bills "cha cha cha". Unless they are working 18 of those jobs everyday. It is impossible.

no, its not impossible.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 7:32pm On Aug 07, 2012
Looks like there is this belief that you can never make it in Nigeria. So, those estates that spring up daily, those nice bungalows around town, those gaily dressed men and women I see every day in Nigeria, those fancy cars in town are all owned by people who came in from the diaspora?

Laughable. Maybe you will then say they are government apologists or armed robbers or what?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 7:32pm On Aug 07, 2012
tpia@:

no, its not impossible.
It is, considering that they are not the only ones at the job .
Mind you a minimum wage job is $8 per hour and some people get paid less than that. So spending $100 here and there, is that possible.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by tpia5: 7:33pm On Aug 07, 2012
A-town:

Why did you bother responding to the guy sef. If you don't know that nigerians call them kokoyes then akata should be strange to you too. Something wey don dey on ground since before them born George Bush sef. shio

some of these things are caused by immigration.

you dont just open ya mouth wide and start blabbing people's ethnicities and names all over the place unless you're ready to land yourself back in naija asap.

especially in the absence of iwe.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by coogar: 7:33pm On Aug 07, 2012
deshclones:

Chic YOU DON'T know shit abt naija...stop yarning dust...for you to ask of good schs,24hr light nd water means u r bereft of the millions of alternatives here or outrightly dumb..I personally chose d latter...

I would have loved to engage the uk based nigerians...but they are no where to be found ..guess they all went to do menial olympic jobs..hv never been to d u.s so can't argue well..but all ma previous assertion stands.

i am a uk based nigerian....please engage me....
if i don't put you down within 15 mins, i owe you a sack of yams!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dayokanu(m): 7:33pm On Aug 07, 2012
werepeLeri:

Says who? So those who hustle in Nigeria dont make it? Nigeria must indeed be hell. Who are those who drive those cars I see on the streets and build those houses I see around town? People from abroad?

Who are those you see in the Embassy trying every possible way to jet out of Nigeria?

WHo are those you see filling visa lottery form every yr hoping one day they would be lucky

I guess they are Aliens

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by tpia5: 7:33pm On Aug 07, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:
It is, considering that they are not the only ones at the job.
Mind you a minimum wage job is $8 per hour and some people get paid less than that. So spending $100 here and there, is that possible.

well, that's what they do.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Kobojunkie: 7:33pm On Aug 07, 2012
Making it is not about owning fancy cars.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 7:34pm On Aug 07, 2012
dayokanu:

Who are those you see in the Embassy trying every possible way to jet out of Nigeria?

WHo are those you see filling visa lottery form every yr hoping one day they would be lucky

I guess they are Aliens

LOL. Nigeria is hell to you indeed.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (23) (Reply)

Ghanaian Man Grinds Pepper Inside An Airplane (photos) / Accident On Calabar Itu Highway (Graphic Photos) / Which Nice Country Can I Relocate To Legally With ₦8m?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.