Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,903 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:06 PM

Can Religion Be Logical? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Religion Be Logical? (7414 Views)

We Can All Be Spiritual And Still Be Logical. / If U Can Only Be Logical And Reasonable, Let's Discuss Islam / Only A Christian Can Be Logical (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by mollie12: 8:21am On Aug 08, 2012
mkmyers45: The universe shares so many characters of defined gods so we can say that the complexity of the universe makes it a god...You can't just dismiss the possibility..the Cosmos is an all encompassing unity. If you still disagree then i want you to describe your god and how he manifested.

Well what can I say? You seem to have finally carved out a new religion for yourself, with a new god - the universe. Don't understand this train of LOGIC of yours at all.

If you make the universe a god based on complexity and encompassing unity you can also make me - or any other human around you - a god based on the same qualities. Heck, you could do the same to the ocean, the mountains, and practically any other entity. In other words, even you will have to admit this is a descent into foolishness.

As humans, we ascribe glory - and godhood - to what is ultimately, indisputably, unshakably higher than ourselves. And Yahweh fulfils those qualifications - and more. I can't ascribe godhood to the universe - which man can and is finding even more and more ways to control.
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Nobody: 8:22am On Aug 08, 2012
philip0906:
ur running faster than urself. . .kindly show me where in my post I said, its not a natural law or that it is Bible specific? Now answer. . .Is the law of sowing and reaping found in the Bible? yes or no?
Good definition of Faith, but it is only a part and not the Whole of Christianity? True or false? cool

Can a house stand without its foundation? Without faith, would there be christianity?
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Nobody: 8:24am On Aug 08, 2012
philip0906:
Good point. . .
Now,do these points I raised now make science illogical? So therefore, picking out some things from the Bible which we feel "defies" logic, is not enough to term Christianity and the Bible illogical. There are loads of "Logical" concepts in the Bible and on which the Christian belief is founded on e.g The law of "sowing and reaping" which is a part and parcel of the christian belief is a very logical concept.
Was my understanding faulty? Even Buddhists believe understand this concept (in my opinion, much better than Christians..
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by mollie12: 8:24am On Aug 08, 2012
wiegraf:

*louder deep sigh*
Science does not have a problem with that, you do. Even if it did, science wouldn't turn to unverifiable claims, else anything goes. If that gives you some existential issues, turn to philosophy, religion, spirituality etc like you've indicated you do. Science is only corncerned with the objective.

You think the historicity of the Bible is accurate? You think the world was created 6,000 years ago?

It was helpful as far as getting into the mind or a religionist is, thank you. Well, not really. Most atheists already know what's there due to indoctrination as kids, but I appreciate the effort. Don't let 'grandiose intellectualism' fault your style also, and try it out sometime.

If you have an issue with anything I believe you could use verifiable facts rather than endless questioning to make the air clear.
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by wiegraf: 8:33am On Aug 08, 2012
mollie12:

If you have an issue with anything I believe you could use verifiable facts rather than endless questioning to make the air clear.

Two questions = endless questions?
Not to mention you're the one making the claim
Oops, I'll be on my way then
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by mollie12: 8:36am On Aug 08, 2012
plaetton:

Flavious jesephus was not a contemporary of Jesus. In his book, Josephus made a rather brief mention of a set of people called christians who were said to be followers of a man named Jesus. That was all he said. He never mentioned jesus birth, teachings, trail, crucifiction and resurrection(things that would have been a great deal and worhty of mention at such a time).

It is believed by many historians that the brief mention of jesus in the book of Josephus may have been fraudulently inserted in subsequent centuries to give jesus a the badly needed historicity.

Secondly, if we have to scramble and struggle just to define what god is, then I my point is already proven that god is just an abstract notion, an idea, a mental creation.

Do we struggle to define gravity or gravitational constants? no.
Even the elusive higgs-Bosson had a concensu definition and theoretically defined qualities before we started searching for it.

If we cannot even define god, then god exists as an idea,perhaps a good and cosy idea, but nevertheless, an idea.

Ahhh. The 'old-texts-have-been-corrupted' cop-out. I knew someone would get round to using it.

If old-world texts can be corrupted anyhow as you put it, what is then your assurance that ALL the other old-world texts have not been corrupted? The stories on Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Plato's Republic (which forms the foundational basis for our present-day government and philosophy), Homer's Iliad, Nero's chronicles and the rest? Now, these other texts, you let them go easily. But a text mentioning the controversial Jesus - no, no, no - it must have been corrupted! Reeks of double standards to me.

And note that I said YOU have to define God, not me. I have all the definition of God I need - right here in my bible. I don't have any questions in that area. You are the one that wants to go on the wild goose chase - good luck with that.

Try to get round to watching that video I referenced, and search for the truth with no bias in your heart. You will find it.
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by mollie12: 8:41am On Aug 08, 2012
wiegraf:

Two questions = endless questions?
Not to mention you're the one making the claim
Oops, I'll be on my way then

Ok, so I slipped by referring to two as 'endless'.

But what assertions/insinuations are you trying to make exactly? You are not making anything clear by the vague statements you are writing.
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by adeblow(m): 8:42am On Aug 08, 2012
Concerning what are they disputing? Concerning the Great news;
About which they cannot agree.
Verily, they shall come to know...
Verily, Verily, they shall come to know....
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by mkmyers45(m): 11:04am On Aug 08, 2012
philip0906:
Were u there? Did you see it? How did it happen? Is there any video evidence to that effect?Kindly provide visible proofs,no big grammars and theories. . .
Moreover, there's a monkey in my grandma's compound, yet 2 change to a human. . .so i'll also love to know-with visible proofs- how u changed 4rm a monkey to human.
Thank you

You asked for Evidence of the big bang not evolution so i will save you the embarrassment as now where did i mention belief in evolution although its a sequential process that cannot be discounted...

Observational evidence

The earliest and most direct kinds of observational evidence are the Hubble-type expansion seen in the redshifts of galaxies, the detailed measurements of the cosmic microwave background, the relative abundances of light elements produced by Big Bang nucleosynthesis, and today also the large scale distribution and apparent evolution of galaxies[54] predicted to occur due to gravitational growth of structure in the standard theory. These are sometimes called "the four pillars of the Big Bang theory".

Hubble's law and the expansion of space

Observations of distant galaxies and quasars show that these objects are redshifted—the light emitted from them has been shifted to longer wavelengths. This can be seen by taking a frequency spectrum of an object and matching the spectroscopic pattern of emission lines or absorption lines corresponding to atoms of the chemical elements interacting with the light. These redshifts are uniformly isotropic, distributed evenly among the observed objects in all directions. If the redshift is interpreted as a Doppler shift, the recessional velocity of the object can be calculated. For some galaxies, it is possible to estimate distances via the cosmic distance ladder. When the recessional velocities are plotted against these distances, a linear relationship known as Hubble's law is observed:
v = H0D,
where
v is the recessional velocity of the galaxy or other distant object,
D is the comoving distance to the object, and
H0 is Hubble's constant, measured to be 70.4 +1.3
−1.4 km/s/Mpc by the WMAP probe.
Hubble's law has two possible explanations. Either we are at the center of an explosion of galaxies—which is untenable given the Copernican principle—or the Universe is uniformly expanding everywhere. This universal expansion was predicted from general relativity by Alexander Friedmann in 1922 and Georges Lemaître in 1927, well before Hubble made his 1929 analysis and observations, and it remains the cornerstone of the Big Bang theory as developed by Friedmann, Lemaître, Robertson and Walker.
The theory requires the relation v = HD to hold at all times, where D is the comoving distance, v is the recessional velocity, and v, H, and D vary as the Universe expands (hence we write H0 to denote the present-day Hubble "constant"wink. For distances much smaller than the size of the observable Universe, the Hubble redshift can be thought of as the Doppler shift corresponding to the recession velocity v. However, the redshift is not a true Doppler shift, but rather the result of the expansion of the Universe between the time the light was emitted and the time that it was detected.That space is undergoing metric expansion is shown by direct observational evidence of the Cosmological principle and the Copernican principle, which together with Hubble's law have no other explanation. Astronomical redshifts are extremely isotropic and homogenous, supporting the Cosmological principle that the Universe looks the same in all directions, along with much other evidence. If the redshifts were the result of an explosion from a center distant from us, they would not be so similar in different directions.
Measurements of the effects of the cosmic microwave background radiation on the dynamics of distant astrophysical systems in 2000 proved the Copernican principle, that, on a cosmological scale, the Earth is not in a central position.[57] Radiation from the Big Bang was demonstrably warmer at earlier times throughout the Universe. Uniform cooling of the cosmic microwave background over billions of years is explainable only if the Universe is experiencing a metric expansion, and excludes the possibility that we are near the unique center of an explosion.

Cosmic microwave background radiation

WMAP image of the cosmic microwave background radiation. The radiation is isotropic to roughly one part in 100,000.[58]
In 1964 Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson serendipitously discovered the cosmic background radiation, an omnidirectional signal in the microwave band.Their discovery provided substantial confirmation of the general CMB predictions: the radiation was found to be consistent with an almost perfect black body spectrum in all directions; this spectrum has been redshifted by the expansion of the universe, and today corresponds to approximately 2.725 K. This tipped the balance of evidence in favor of the Big Bang model, and Penzias and Wilson were awarded a Nobel Prize in 1978.
The surface of last scattering corresponding to emission of the CMB occurs shortly after recombination, the epoch when neutral hydrogen becomes stable. Prior to this, the universe comprised a hot dense photon-baryon plasma sea where photons were quickly scattered from free charged particles. Peaking at around 372±14 ka,[22] the mean free path for a photon becomes long enough to reach the present day and the universe becomes transparent.

The cosmic microwave background spectrum measured by the FIRAS instrument on the COBE satellite is the most-precisely measured black body spectrum in nature.The data points and error bars on this graph are obscured by the theoretical curve.
In 1989 NASA launched the Cosmic Background Explorer satellite (COBE). Its findings were consistent with predictions regarding the CMB, finding a residual temperature of 2.726 K (more recent measurements have revised this figure down slightly to 2.725 K) and providing the first evidence for fluctuations (anisotropies) in the CMB, at a level of about one part in 105.John C. Mather and George Smoot were awarded the Nobel Prize for their leadership in this work. During the following decade, CMB anisotropies were further investigated by a large number of ground-based and balloon experiments. In 2000–2001 several experiments, most notably BOOMERanG, found the shape of the Universe to be spatially almost flat by measuring the typical angular size (the size on the sky) of the anisotropies.
In early 2003 the first results of the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) were released, yielding what were at the time the most accurate values for some of the cosmological parameters. The results disproved several specific cosmic inflation models, but are consistent with the inflation theory in general. The Planck space probe was launched in May 2009. Other ground and balloon based cosmic microwave background experiments are ongoing.

Abundance of primordial elements

Using the Big Bang model it is possible to calculate the concentration of helium-4, helium-3, deuterium and lithium-7 in the Universe as ratios to the amount of ordinary hydrogen. The relative abundances depend on a single parameter, the ratio of photons to baryons. This value can be calculated independently from the detailed structure of CMB fluctuations. The ratios predicted (by mass, not by number) are about 0.25 for 4He/H, about 10−3 for 2H/H, about 10−4 for 3He/H and about 10−9 for 7Li/H.
The measured abundances all agree at least roughly with those predicted from a single value of the baryon-to-photon ratio. The agreement is excellent for deuterium, close but formally discrepant for 4He, and off by a factor of two 7Li; in the latter two cases there are substantial systematic uncertainties. Nonetheless, the general consistency with abundances predicted by Big Bang nucleosynthesis is strong evidence for the Big Bang, as the theory is the only known explanation for the relative abundances of light elements, and it is virtually impossible to "tune" the Big Bang to produce much more or less than 20–30% helium. Indeed there is no obvious reason outside of the Big Bang that, for example, the young Universe (i.e., before star formation, as determined by studying matter supposedly free of stellar nucleosynthesis products) should have more helium than deuterium or more deuterium than 3He, and in constant ratios, too.

Galactic evolution and distribution

This panoramic view of the entire near-infrared sky reveals the distribution of galaxies beyond the Milky Way. The galaxies are color coded by redshift.
Detailed observations of the morphology and distribution of galaxies and quasars provide strong evidence for the Big Bang. A combination of observations and theory suggest that the first quasars and galaxies formed about a billion years after the Big Bang, and since then larger structures have been forming, such as galaxy clusters and superclusters. Populations of stars have been aging and evolving, so that distant galaxies (which are observed as they were in the early Universe) appear very different from nearby galaxies (observed in a more recent state). Moreover, galaxies that formed relatively recently appear markedly different from galaxies formed at similar distances but shortly after the Big Bang. These observations are strong arguments against the steady-state model. Observations of star formation, galaxy and quasar distributions and larger structures agree well with Big Bang simulations of the formation of structure in the Universe and are helping to complete details of the theory.
Primordial gas cloud.
In 2011 astronomers have found pristine clouds of the primordial gas that formed in the first few minutes after the Big Bang. The composition of the gas matches theoretical predictions, providing direct evidence in support of the modern cosmological explanation for the origins of elements in the universe. The researchers discovered the two clouds of pristine gas by analyzing the light from distant quasars, using the HIRES spectrometer on the Keck I Telescope at the W. M. Keck Observatory in Hawaii. They saw absorption lines in the spectrum where the light was absorbed by the gas, and that allows them to measure the composition of the gas.

Other lines of evidence

The age of Universe as estimated from the Hubble expansion and the CMB is now in good agreement with other estimates using the ages of the oldest stars, both as measured by applying the theory of stellar evolution to globular clusters and through radiometric dating of individual Population II stars.
The prediction that the CMB temperature was higher in the past has been experimentally supported by observations of very low temperature absorption lines in gas clouds at high redshift.This prediction also implies that the amplitude of the Sunyaev–Zel'dovich effect in clusters of galaxies does not depend directly on redshift. Observations have found this to be roughly true, but this effect depends on cluster properties that do change with cosmic time, making precise measurements difficult.
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by mkmyers45(m): 11:06am On Aug 08, 2012
philip0906:
Good point. . .
Now,do these points I raised now make science illogical? So therefore, picking out some things from the Bible which we feel "defies" logic, is not enough to term Christianity and the Bible illogical. There are loads of "Logical" concepts in the Bible and on which the Christian belief is founded on e.g The law of "sowing and reaping" which is a part and parcel of the christian belief is a very logical concept.

Not all who sow bad reap suffering in the material world....
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by mkmyers45(m): 11:11am On Aug 08, 2012
mollie12:

Well what can I say? You seem to have finally carved out a new religion for yourself, with a new god - the universe. Don't understand this train of LOGIC of yours at all.

If you make the universe a god based on complexity and encompassing unity you can also make me - or any other human around you - a god based on the same qualities. Heck, you could do the same to the ocean, the mountains, and practically any other entity. In other words, even you will have to admit this is a descent into foolishness.

As humans, we ascribe glory - and godhood - to what is ultimately, indisputably, unshakably higher than ourselves. And Yahweh fulfils those qualifications - and more. I can't ascribe godhood to the universe - which man can and is finding even more and more ways to control.

Ok, miss dont go faster than your shadow ok?

@First Bolded: I didn't carve anything out but we are logically looking at a complexity which fits the term 'god' as defined by many.

@Second Bolded: Please how is a human an encompassing unity? Is he in isolation or part of a universe?

@Third Bolded: Please can you fully list out the properties?

@Fourth Bolded: lol at man controlling the universe...sorry miss but can you elaborate your point of control because that seems far-fetched
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by mkmyers45(m): 11:19am On Aug 08, 2012
Ubenedictus: simply put d soul is d fundamental principle of life. Materialism has fail to explain man, d complexities his thought, feeling, desires conciousness and rationality. A material man will be a computer program but man has shown that greater than a computer, man is a living and learning being who excercise a reasoning ability so complex that he believes himself to be d pinacle of his immediate world. Man hardly seems to be a puppet and science has failed to explain the 'substance' of life.

that is because im not a computer, there is an immaterial subconcious in man. And each man precieve thing in different ways. To believe in a soul as a principle of life and reason is necessary for me because there is no material or scientific explaination of the 'substance' of life. Just try and give me a scientific definition of life.

when i say transcends i mean faith extend reason it widens and broaden its scope i dont mean it is oppose to or fight with or triumphing over it.

who said spiritual matters can never be understood? You need d broadener called faith to understand religious matters. It can be understood but some religious matter cant be fully grasped by d intellect.
ur arguement suggest it but you can inform me otherwise. I hope to hear from u soon.
Peace.

@First Bolded:Please define 'soul' and 'substance of life'

@Second Bolded: Please answer bolded one first...

@Third Bolded: Ok, you have your own definition of transcend? hmm...the dictionary thinks otherwise

@Fourth Bolded: Are you insinuating that indeed religion is faith and not logic?
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by plaetton: 11:53am On Aug 08, 2012
philip0906:
oh dear Mr cyrexx. . .those links are full of 2 much grammars, theories and no proofs(tangible/visible facts).It doesn't prove anything. AS simple as that. cool
I could bring my graandma's monkey over and those theories and the likes exerted on it, I could be proven otherwise,else. . .

Eeew!
This is a greatly embarrassing display of ignorance. Why mock something you simply dont understand?.
You have to first educate yourself about the subject before you come out to embarrass yourself.Were you dozing in class during your biology lessons in secondary school?
When someone displays this kind of ignorance, it is just pointless going further trying to engage in any debate.

1 Like

Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Aug 08, 2012
plaetton:

Eeew!
This is a greatly embarrassing display of ignorance. Why mock something you simply dont understand?.
You have to first educate yourself about the subject before you come out to embarrass yourself.Were you dozing in class during your biology lessons in secondary school?
When someone displays this kind of ignorance, it is just pointless going further trying to engage in any debate.
Hopeless. They'd prefer it if the information was divided into chapters and verses...
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by wiegraf: 12:15pm On Aug 08, 2012
musKeeto:
Hopeless. They'd prefer it if the information was divided into chapters and verses...

No really. It's not like I know them, or them me. I don't even like them (nothing personal, just their views etc), but the level of ignorance displayed in this thread actually makes me miss mr anony, deep sight et al. That's truly worrying.

1 Like

Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:49pm On Aug 08, 2012
O.D.B.:

no. I believe I am to infinitesimal in his presence
you believe d created u yet u do not think he knows u? Wow! Sit and rethink.
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:55pm On Aug 08, 2012
Proactive-corp:

The pope was a man of faith, so we cannot trust him to be completely objective about issues of faith and reason
and u are an atheist i cant trust u wil be completely objective.
But when did pope john paul become a christian! i thought he was a catholic! Is christianity and catholicism the same!
hahahaha, d pope has alway identified himself as a xtian and catholics have alway done same.
Many many christians distance themslves from catholicism.
and many, many xtian are catholics,

The fact the catholic faith is at variance with evangelical faith speaks volumes about the inconsistency, the fluidity and the non-reliability of faith, compared to the universality of reason.
who said reason is universal? How often does science change? And there was a time when d catholic faith was d only xtian faith.
I also noticed that u didnt have an opinion neither did u refute any of john pauls' point
Ubenedictus
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Ubenedictus(m): 2:15pm On Aug 08, 2012
mkmyers45:

@First Bolded:Please define 'soul' and 'substance of life'
it is d concept scientist cant explain, what is life, what makes man and other living thing alive? Biology has studied living and non living ting but can tell u what life is.

@Second Bolded: Please answer bolded one first...

@Third Bolded: Ok, you have your own definition of transcend? hmm...the dictionary thinks otherwise
the were over 3 definition of transcend in d dictionary u provided i simply adopted the definition that says "extend, goes beyond" it was in ur dictionary.

@Fourth Bolded: Are you insinuating that indeed religion is faith and not logic?
im saying that there are set logic as regards religion and reason is used even in matters of faith.
Peace
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by mkmyers45(m): 2:19pm On Aug 08, 2012
Ubenedictus: it is d concept scientist cant explain, what is life, what makes man and other living thing alive? Biology has studied living and non living ting but can tell u what life is.

the were over 3 definition of transcend in d dictionary u provided i simply adopted the definition that says "extend, goes beyond" it was in ur dictionary.

im saying that there are set logic as regards religion and reason is used even in matters of faith.
Peace

I will attempt to oversee the fact that you clearly avoided my question....Please how do you define soul and substance of life?

Let's take it from there sir
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Ubenedictus(m): 2:58pm On Aug 08, 2012
mkmyers45:

I will attempt to oversee the fact that you clearly avoided my question....Please how do you define soul and substance of life?

Let's take it from there sir
it said earlier, d soul is d fundamental principle of life. Substance of life is a colloqual term i use to describe the soul, by substance of life i mean 'that with gives living things live'. I also noticed that you had no comment to d views presented by john paul.
Peace.
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by mkmyers45(m): 3:06pm On Aug 08, 2012
Ubenedictus: it said earlier, d soul is d fundamental principle of life. Substance of life is a colloqual term i use to describe the soul, by substance of life i mean 'that with gives living things live'. I also noticed that you had no comment to d views presented by john paul.
Peace.

Fundamental principal of all life is a soul? Plants have souls?
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Aug 08, 2012
Ignorant religionists. They keep contradicting themselves every now-and-then. It surprises me to see somebody with a religious undertone trying to put it in the light of logic. To be logical is not necessarily factual but a premise based on reasoning conduct and it could be wrong in the sense of reality or experience.

With reference to morality, as somebody asserted in his or her comment, there is nothing pointing to any idea that it is associated with religion rather it is [b]human ability [/b]to know what is wrong from right. This is among the things which distinguish humans from animals in a larger perspective. On the other hand it doesn't prove that animals can not exercise moral conduct of any kind(for reason nobody accepts it to some degree) but to a lesser degree by instincts or trained to perform particular actions(the animal choice would be based on instincts). There are many things which are responsible for that from the large human brain to articulate and assimilate. Therefore, as that part of the brain aged we begin to see how old people start to act or behave like animal because they are gradually losing the ability to reasons. So, there is nothing actually morally encompassing in religion, as human learn through time to have understanding of his environment.

The basic reason many religionists and theists alike act the way they do is based on ignorance and others based on sentiment. Their inability to address things they don't know relating them with facts is always full of excuses their experiences they talk cannot be understood as long as you are not one of them.

On the final not there is nothing logical about religion, not morale code or laws prohibiting people from one act to another. This is a proof of human reason and lack of appropriate competence to address it beyond the shallow mind of a primitive man, which is, almost equal to that of other animal in the forest. The environment and time can not be blame this time around, after know much about how many things in our environment operate and the origin of religion, to be the cause why some still take religion beyond myth and traditions.

I think time is coming when religion would be a thing of tradition and moral observance only without the religion of believing in supernatural entity who subjects its creations, human as well as its environment to all manners of incompleteness and failures. Such an entity is only limited and less likely to be supernatural in any form to a reasonable mind as against logical mind.
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Ubenedictus(m): 3:39pm On Aug 08, 2012
mkmyers45:

Fundamental principal of all life is a soul? Plants have souls?
this is a slimer definition by aristotle "the soul is that fundamental principle of our life, of movement, of nutrition, of sensation, of understand and of willing" the last phase cut plants out of d picture.
Peace
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by mkmyers45(m): 3:47pm On Aug 08, 2012
Ubenedictus: this is a slimer definition by aristotle "the soul is that fundamental principle of our life, of movement, of nutrition, of sensation, of understand and of willing" the last phase cut plants out of d picture.
Peace

Unto what logical premise is this definition based or is it because its Aristotle?
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Aug 08, 2012
Ubenedictus: this is a slimer definition by aristotle "the soul is that fundamental principle of our life, of movement, of nutrition, of sensation, of understand and of willing" the last phase cut plants out of d picture.
Peace
Jeez! Plant doesn't posses soul for the simple reason it doesn't have sense of identity. You guys keep looking at Aristotle forgetting the time when they exist limit their reasoning. Please, let us not be irrational about soul because it is immaterial and characterized by the state of the mind.
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Aug 08, 2012
mkmyers45:

Unto what logical premise is this definition based or is it because its Aristotle?
I was about saying the same thing and you typed it before me, bro!
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Ubenedictus(m): 4:17pm On Aug 08, 2012
mkmyers45:

not necessary because it is aristotle, but it is worth looking into since science cant answer d question 'what is life?'. Where one standard fail another is used..
Peace
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by mkmyers45(m): 4:19pm On Aug 08, 2012
Ubenedictus: not necessary because it is aristotle, but it is worth looking into since science cant answer d question 'what is life?'. Where one standard fail another is used..
Peace

and in the case that the two are wrong?
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by mollie12: 4:21pm On Aug 08, 2012
mkmyers45:

@First Bolded: I didn't carve anything out but we are logically looking at a complexity which fits the term 'god' as defined by many.

@Second Bolded: Please how is a human an encompassing unity? Is he in isolation or part of a universe?

@Fourth Bolded: lol at man controlling the universe...sorry miss but can you elaborate your point of control because that seems far-fetched

Apparently, your ideas of 'complexity' and 'encompassing unity' are subjective because they very much apply to man, yes they do.

Controlling the universe? You mean you really need examples from me about how man has conquered nature through technology?

I've actually been wondering what this your post is actually about, and your answer to philip @ 11.04am pretty sums it up. If this is about discrediting God through some scientific mish-mash of high-sounding babbles and the like, well - its a free world. (Because let's face it, even you can not explain the gist of what you posted). But if you are really willing to follow a rational, logic train of thought, and not just bash a thing because you are not willing to agree with it or don't understand it, you'll realise the truth is, God is.

I'm out.
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by mollie12: 4:22pm On Aug 08, 2012
mkmyers45:

Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Aug 08, 2012
Ubenedictus: not necessary because it is aristotle, but it is worth looking into since science cant answer d question 'what is life?'. Where one standard fail another is used..
Peace
You said science can't answer the question of 'what is life'? That I think is your assertion and doesn't necessarily reflects reality. Science can define life but life beyond reality is speculative and that is religion destination which it doesn't agree with. Life by simple definition is about living things, their properties and nature encompassing activities. Yes, if you mean origin of life, science is there to speculate and religion is not exempted from the flaws as well.I would rather accept science speculations as close to the truth than the primitive myths coming from religion.
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Aug 08, 2012
mollie12:

Apparently, your ideas of 'complexity' and 'encompassing unity' are subjective because they very much apply to man, yes they do.

Controlling the universe? You mean you really need examples from me about how man has conquered nature through technology?

I've actually been wondering what this your post is actually about, and your answer to philip @ 11.04am pretty sums it up. If this is about discrediting God through some scientific mish-mash of high-sounding babbles and the like, well - its a free world. (Because let's face it, even you can not explain the gist of what you posted). But if you are really willing to follow a rational, logic train of thought, and not just bash a thing because you are not willing to agree with it or don't understand it, you'll realise the truth is, God is.

I'm out.
God is, is made up by humans!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Yes, I Worship Esu, But I’m Not Satanic / The Earliest Images Of Jesus Show Him To Be A Black Man - Pics / Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.