Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,114 members, 7,811,134 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:50 AM

Can Religion Be Logical? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Religion Be Logical? (7416 Views)

We Can All Be Spiritual And Still Be Logical. / If U Can Only Be Logical And Reasonable, Let's Discuss Islam / Only A Christian Can Be Logical (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by mkmyers45(m): 5:24pm On Aug 07, 2012
Ubenedictus: It seems u are trying to bait me, that is not a good way to make meaningful discussion my mind is open, it seem u have shut urs to d posibility that a soul or spirit exists.

And what evidence have you given to that effect? Logic?

i will discribe it using these two words: satisfaction, fulfilment.

A satisfaction that you believe things a logical thinker can't?

i think u need to see a dictionary.

Definition of TRANSCEND

: to triumph over the negative or restrictive aspects of
: overcome : to be prior to, beyond, and above
: to outstrip or outdo in some attribute, quality, or power

su·pe·ri·or (s-pîr-r)
adj.
1. Higher than another in rank, station, or authority.
2. Situated above or directed upward.
3. Situated nearer the top of the head.

no it is also intellectual.
Ok, then wherein does never understanding spiritual matters come in?

dear im very sure i didnt ridicule be for a discussion to begin we need a common ground, you are clearly against anything spiritual and faith is both intellectual and spiritual. It is almost imposible to discus spiritual thing with one who doesnt believe in d spiritual.
I noticed you had no comment about the link i gave.

How are you certain i don't believe in the meta-physical? I will read through later and give my thoughts...
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Delafruita(m): 5:24pm On Aug 07, 2012
mkmyers45: Normally religion is only a matter of faith and the logic of science doesn't apply. Other than the concept of Designed Humanism, are there other religions that can combine God with a belief in logic?
first,what is religion?it will be a misconception to assume that all religion is basedon faith.there are over 15,000religions in the world and not all of them are illogical.buddhism existed for many years before christ and with the help of king Asoka,it became a state religion.that religion isnt just based on faith in the buddha.itsbased largely on practicing goodand eschewing evil.it has its own tenets which adherrents are expected to believe in without questioning just because the buddha said so but one fact is that the compilers of the tipitaka admit to been the compilers.
the aztecs have one of the weirdest judgement methods ever and according to them,judgement isnt based on if you're good or bad,its based on how you die.
egyptians believe in reincarnation based on how you are buried.
simply put,different religions have different tenets and not all of them are based on blind faith.some of then actually combine a lot of logic such as our traditional religion
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Delafruita(m): 5:24pm On Aug 07, 2012
mkmyers45: Normally religion is only a matter of faith and the logic of science doesn't apply. Other than the concept of Designed Humanism, are there other religions that can combine God with a belief in logic?
first,what is religion?it will be a misconception to assume that all religion is basedon faith.there are over 15,000religions in the world and not all of them are illogical.buddhism existed for many years before christ and with the help of king Asoka,it became a state religion.that religion isnt just based on faith in the buddha.itsbased largely on practicing goodand eschewing evil.it has its own tenets which adherrents are expected to believe in without questioning just because the buddha said so but one fact is that the compilers of the tipitaka admit to been the compilers.
the aztecs have one of the weirdest judgement methods ever and according to them,judgement isnt based on if you're good or bad,its based on how you die.
simply put,different religions have different tenets and not all of them are based on blind faith.some of then actually combine a lot of logic such as our traditional religion
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by emsquare(m): 5:25pm On Aug 07, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Impossible.

Belief in God is not logical, it is based on faith

Gbam!
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by mkmyers45(m): 5:28pm On Aug 07, 2012
Delafruita:

Yes, i am interested in also discussing all the possibilities that's why its a question...
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Delafruita(m): 5:29pm On Aug 07, 2012
deandavid: my religion christianity can be logical to some EXTENT or level, there are levels where you cannot logically/rationally or scientifically relate with religion,thats where FAITH comes in. I believe in christ, not because i'v seen him physically or because people believe in him, i didnt chose christianity, God chose me to be a christian, how can u logically explain that?
how does this even sound?god chose you to be a christian.so the same god who created the freaking universe decided to create you a christian and deliberately create others as muslims,pagans,atheists etc.what kind of reasonning is that?
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by gbadexy(m): 5:30pm On Aug 07, 2012
Sure you can. I am not an islamic scholar and I haven't personally read up to a third of the whole english Quran, but I came across an interesting verse in the Quran.
The Quran has many revelations that scientists
of today can relate to.Q 32.v 5
In a chapter titled prostration in the Quran,
God said the he directs all the activity of the
world from heaven and all the affairs of the
world come up to Him every day. He said that
one day that it takes for the affairs of the world
to reach him is a thousand years in man's
time!
Talking of speed of light! Imagine the number
of hours in a thousand years and see if any
spacecraft can ever travel it.
This concept wouldn't mean anything to a
novice, but to anyone or scientist that is
familiar with astronomy understands that due
to the vastness of space, distance is measured
in light years, imagine the speed a light travels
in a second! Scientists say we are looking at
the past anytime we look at the stars because
they are so far and some have been traveling
for over 400 years to reach us.
Our own sunlight reaches us in 8 minutes, and
yet the Quran states that all the affairs of the
world come up to him daily, that means in
8760 hours multiplied by a thousand and yet
its an instant for God over a huge space.
This shows a revelation that acknowledge the
existence of vast space and time travel, not
some fable or believe that heaven is in the sky
like we were meant to believe about people
building towers to reach heaven.
I'm sure NASA wasn't in existence in
Muhammad's time so he couldn't have thought
that up, and I know if any western scientist
have access or is persuaded to read this verse,
he definitely would look at islam in a new
perspective.
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Ubenedictus(m): 5:34pm On Aug 07, 2012
This is not true. GOD IS The ultimate truth all that is true flows from him. That is why an inquiry into truth: science/reason should help or contribute to the assent of truth.
claremont: Religion and science/logic are radically incompatible and have been proven to be so. There have been noble attempts in the past to harmonize both via a series of basic scientific evaluations of religious claims, the conclusions have unanimously been that these claims have been entirely false.

Science/logic works on the basis of proof, the existence of this proof validates or invalidates an initial hypothesis. In other words, the absence of evidence is clearly the evidence of absence. Religion on the other hand works on the basis of the faith of its adherents, it is a misnomer to have faith and still believe in the rigours of scientific evaluations. A clear example of this is the fact of human evolution, yet religion still upholds the archaic view that a deity created the world in 7 days, this is besides the plethora of evidence that prove the contrary.
it seems u are some centuries backward many scientific research were carried out by christians and theist, to claim that it is imposible to be a scientist and a theist is a lie, but even today we haven scientist who are theist. On the issue of evolution, it seem u havent hearth about theist evolution and besides scientific theory is hardly stagnant. Hey even d vatican has a body of scientist that work for her.

This is the reason why most scientists consider religious belief as a tell-tale sign of mental illness. People who choose to disbelieve clear scientific evidence, but believe tales inscribed in a 2000 year old book, are surely mental.
hahaha do u know that evolution was first propound around 5bc that also makes it about 2000yrs old. Age doesnt affect truth.
Peace
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by mkmyers45(m): 5:34pm On Aug 07, 2012
gbadexy: Sure you can. I am not an islamic scholar and I haven't personally read up to a third of the whole english Quran, but I came across an interesting verse in the Quran.
The Quran has many revelations that scientists
of today can relate to.Q 32.v 5
In a chapter titled prostration in the Quran,
God said the he directs all the activity of the
world from heaven and all the affairs of the
world come up to Him every day. He said that
one day that it takes for the affairs of the world
to reach him is a thousand years in man's
time!
Talking of speed of light! Imagine the number
of hours in a thousand years and see if any
spacecraft can ever travel it.
This concept wouldn't mean anything to a
novice, but to anyone or scientist that is
familiar with astronomy understands that due
to the vastness of space, distance is measured
in light years, imagine the speed a light travels
in a second! Scientists say we are looking at
the past anytime we look at the stars because
they are so far and some have been traveling
for over 400 years to reach us.
Our own sunlight reaches us in 8 minutes, and
yet the Quran states that all the affairs of the
world come up to him daily, that means in
8760 hours multiplied by a thousand and yet
its an instant for God over a huge space.
This shows a revelation that acknowledge the
existence of vast space and time travel, not
some fable or believe that heaven is in the sky
like we were meant to believe about people
building towers to reach heaven.
I'm sure NASA wasn't in existence in
Muhammad's time so he couldn't have thought
that up, and I know if any western scientist
have access or is persuaded to read this verse,
he definitely would look at islam in a new
perspective.

Sorry but same is also mentioned in the bible and relatively you cannot associate logic with it esp when looking at Man's origin.
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Bandy10: 5:35pm On Aug 07, 2012
Religion is based on dogma ie believing without evidence eg someone died and rose up the third day thsi story cannot be provedno proof.Whereas science is based on verifiable evidence.None of the stories in the bible can be verified.So there is no correlation between science and religion
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by infolekan(m): 5:41pm On Aug 07, 2012
okeyxyz:
But people of faith do have a reason for believing, don't they? The subject of their belief must meet a set of criteria/logic before they decide to believe. You cannot say it's without logic simply because it's a different system from yours. Hell!, Even a mad man has a reason for his thoughts & behaviours, though best known to him alone, Which is why psychiatrists study, analyse, categorize and treat them.
And that is why they are called madmen. Religion does not follow logic the same way science does not.
Logic is the science that governs reliable inference....meaning deducable endpoints. A man without a naira in his pocket who tells you he'z rich definitely does not follow logic cos he can't explain it.
Science doesn't explain logic cos all our education and studies are based on things we can't see....how else do you explain a round world and the fact that we're not falling off? Gravity right? Like you can actually touch it. angry . And we could all argue about space and matter and molecule but the imple explanation for a mobile phone & how it works still eludes us. God will Bless Us
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by mkmyers45(m): 5:47pm On Aug 07, 2012
infolekan:
And that is why they are called madmen. Religion does not follow logic the same way science does not.
Logic is the science that governs reliable inference....meaning deducable endpoints. A man without a naira in his pocket who tells you he'z rich definitely does not follow logic cos he can't explain it.
Science doesn't explain logic cos all our education and studies are based on things we can't see....how else do you explain a round world and the fact that we're not falling off? Gravity right? Like you can actually touch it. angry . And we could all argue about space and matter and molecule but the imple explanation for a mobile phone & how it works still eludes us. God will Bless Us

Please take time and read ok? How can you try to even suggest that mobile phone was invented by error? ever heard of waves? Your post is very depressing to say in the least...Gravity is a force mr that we can logically agree is present and it premises can be tested for all to see...
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by UyiIredia(m): 6:00pm On Aug 07, 2012
@ mkmyers45 Religion can in fact be logical. The deism espoused by Thomas Paine and atheism (if you agree atheism is a religion) are religions in which logic and critical thinking are upheld. I think Deism is the more logical of the two. Religions are logical in the sense that they are engaged in the search for truth and meaning and also for proper thinking, recall the Bible's urge for one to renew his mind. In a strict sense of course, religions are not logical because they don't engage in formal logic. But they do touch on some fringes of informal logic such as fallacious reasoning.
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by bright007(f): 6:14pm On Aug 07, 2012
think this is ťĥĕ reason why countries like nigeria seems to be backward.The most potent way of learning about nature is through logic.You cannot learn about nature by believing,u need to investigate,experiment and then draw deductions logically.Most of d developed countries in d world became successful through logical reasoning in science and not through faith.Simply put,when it comes to d physical world,logical reasoning wins it but when it comes to spiritual things,faith takes it all.

1 Like

Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Ubenedictus(m): 6:30pm On Aug 07, 2012
mkmyers45:

simply put d soul is d fundamental principle of life. Materialism has fail to explain man, d complexities his thought, feeling, desires conciousness and rationality. A material man will be a computer program but man has shown that greater than a computer, man is a living and learning being who excercise a reasoning ability so complex that he believes himself to be d pinacle of his immediate world. Man hardly seems to be a puppet and science has failed to explain the 'substance' of life.
that is because im not a computer, there is an immaterial subconcious in man. And each man precieve thing in different ways. To believe in a soul as a principle of life and reason is necessary for me because there is no material or scientific explaination of the 'substance' of life. Just try and give me a scientific definition of life.

Definition of TRANSCEND

su·pe·ri·or (s-pîr-r)
adj.
when i say transcends i mean faith extend reason it widens and broaden its scope i dont mean it is oppose to or fight with or triumphing over it.

who said spiritual matters can never be understood? You need d broadener called faith to understand religious matters. It can be understood but some religious matter cant be fully grasped by d intellect.
How are you certain i don't believe in the meta-physical? I will read through later and give my thoughts...
ur arguement suggest it but you can inform me otherwise. I hope to hear from u soon.
Peace.
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by philip0906(m): 6:31pm On Aug 07, 2012
Bandy10: Religion is based on dogma ie believing without evidence eg someone died and rose up the third day thsi story cannot be provedno proof.Whereas science is based on verifiable evidence.None of the stories in the bible can be verified.So there is no correlation between science and religion
[size=18pt]Balderdash. . . d'u have any evidence 2 d big bang theory apart 4rm d stories ur dear scientists tell u?[/size]
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by lakesider(m): 6:34pm On Aug 07, 2012
Faith and fact are two parallel line . They never meet
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Ubenedictus(m): 6:35pm On Aug 07, 2012
mkmyers45:

Definition of TRANSCEND

su·pe·ri·or (s-pîr-r)
adj.

Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by mkmyers45(m): 7:01pm On Aug 07, 2012
philip0906:
[size=18pt]Balderdash. . . d'u have any evidence 2 d big bang theory apart 4rm d stories ur dear scientists tell u?[/size]
Yes, we have evidence that are currently supporting the theory
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by mkmyers45(m): 7:03pm On Aug 07, 2012
@Ubenedictus im mobile nw but we will continue our discuss soon
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Valuee(m): 7:07pm On Aug 07, 2012
If what the ops meant was can the authenticity of religion be logical?
My reply would be YES!!! Only if one could attain a higher level of wisdom...
If a thorough exploration of the ecosystem, shows that the system itself is logical. And religion is a way of life that helps maintain the structure in place....then it can be deduced that religion is Logical.
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by mkmyers45(m): 7:11pm On Aug 07, 2012
Valueé: If what the ops meant was can the authenticity of religion be logical?
My reply would be YES!!! Only if one could attain a higher level of wisdom...
If a thorough exploration of the ecosystem, shows that the system itself is logical. And religion is a way of life that helps maintain the structure in place....then it can be deduced that religion is Logical.
maintain which structure? Ecosystem? I don't understand...
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by ODB1: 7:26pm On Aug 07, 2012
NO.

I believe in a creator, a grand architect because our universe conforms to laws and definitions but religion is b.s. It assumes a personnel description based on "faith" and as always will end up being superstitious.
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by nextpart(m): 7:30pm On Aug 07, 2012
Logic is defined as science or method of reasoning.

Logic is different from religion otherwise you would not have highly educated people in some religions like Islam despite the atrocities being perpetrated by muslims throughout the whole world.
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Aug 07, 2012
Delafruita:
first,what is religion?it will be a misconception to assume that all religion is basedon faith.there are over 15,000religions in the world and not all of them are illogical.buddhism existed for many years before christ and with the help of king Asoka,it became a state religion.that religion isnt just based on faith in the buddha.[b]itsbased largely on practicing goodand eschewing evil.[/b]it has its own tenets which adherrents are expected to believe in without questioning just because the buddha said so but one fact is that the compilers of the tipitaka admit to been the compilers.

Budhism is still illogical since it ties its worshipper down without option of FREEWILL. Who determines what is good and what is bad in budhism ? Isnt it Budha who is the supreme of the religion ? In as much as religion doesnt allow a state of freewill for its worshippers,then it is illogical to deduce that any religion is logical !
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by ololo12: 8:02pm On Aug 07, 2012
Interesting topic. I'll just watch from the sidelines!!
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Ubenedictus(m): 8:12pm On Aug 07, 2012
mkmyers45: @Ubenedictus im mobile nw but we will continue our discuss soon
no problem, thank for the charity thus far.
Peace and safe jorney.
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Krucifax(m): 8:26pm On Aug 07, 2012
I think you have inadvertently asked two questions,the first being if religion can be logical and the second being a question as to what religions would encompass logic. The second question is beyond the scope of anyone who isn't a student of world religions,however the first question is quite straight forwards.

Logic in practice involves reasoning based on Inductive and Deductive reasoning. So in play logic is about 1. Arguments 2 Inference.

In Inductive arguments the truth of the premises only makes it probable that the conclusion is true. In Deductive arguments the truth of the premises is supposed to guarantee the truth of the conclusion.

This all means anything that lends itself to logic must be constantly challenged for the verification of a truth. If history teaches us anything is that truth always changes as humanity's understanding of the subject evolves.

This ultimately means there can be no place for true logic in religion for these simple reasons;

1. Religion can not evolve.(If it did it would be paradoxical, meaning former truths were actually not truths thereby undermining current and future truths).
2. Religion can not be challenged.(If it were inexplicable gaps would challenge the moral authority of said religion.Example being Bible's "apparent" support of slavery in the old testament e.g Leviticus 25:48-53,Exodus 21:1-4).
3. Religion demands blind obedience.(This runs contrary to logic as any postulation is only as good as it is "proved" to be with logic).
4. Religion requires faith!!!!! (This is the killer as faith is normally the opposite of common sense.There can be no sharing of grounds with logic and faith).

In essence there can be no marrying of Religion and Logic because [b]Religion [/b]requires you to accept the truths as they are given while [b]Logic [/b]demands that you challenge truth!!

1 Like

Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Ubenedictus(m): 8:32pm On Aug 07, 2012
O.D.B.:
NO.

I believe in a creator, a grand architect because our universe conforms to laws and definitions but religion is b.s. It assumes a personnel description based on "faith" and as always will end up being superstitious.
do u consider dis creator to be a personal God?
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Aug 07, 2012
Bandy10: Religion is based on dogma ie believing without evidence eg someone died and rose up the third day thsi story cannot be provedno proof.Whereas science is based on verifiable evidence.None of the stories in the bible can be verified.So there is no correlation between science and religion
who ever told you the stories in the bible are unverifiable? please don't expose your ignorance for all to see....there are facts and landmarks still visible till today after many millennia to authenticate the stories in the bible. please take your atheism elsewhere
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by ODB1: 9:01pm On Aug 07, 2012
Ubenedictus: do u consider dis creator to be a personal God?
no. I believe I am to infinitesimal in his presence
Re: Can Religion Be Logical? by Proactivecorp: 9:50pm On Aug 07, 2012
Ubenedictus: dear friend i dont have a special word for what transcend reason, but i have an experience it. do u want to help me. I never mentioned superiority i talked about transcended. It is imposible to explain spiritual matter to someone who doesnt believe he has a spirit. We need a starting point.

better still i can give you a link to pope john paul documents on faith and reason. It is a christian perspective and to be specific a catholic perspective. http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_15101998_fides-et-ratio_en.html i would be happy to discuss with anyone on the points he raised.
Peace

The pope was a man of faith, so we cannot trust him to be completely objective about issues of faith and reason
But when did pope john paul become a christian! i thought he was a catholic! Is christianity and catholicism the same! Many many christians distance themslves from catholicism.

The fact the catholic faith is at variance with evangelical faith speaks volumes about the inconsistency, the fluidity and the non-reliability of faith, compared to the universality of reason.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? / How To Discover Your Purpose, Or Destiny? / The Earliest Images Of Jesus Show Him To Be A Black Man - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.