Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,149 members, 7,815,021 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:05 AM

Akatas On Nairaland - Culture (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Akatas On Nairaland (40289 Views)

Are Black Africans (Nigerians) And Africans In America (Akatas) Really Different / Why Akatas Treated Better Than Africans Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (Go Down)

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by MrsChima(f): 5:23am On Aug 15, 2012
TerryCarr: shows what you know
Use of the words soccer/football in the English-speaking world

Damn! I love it! grin grin grin grin grin

But no one knows more than Africans! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by Ybutterfly: 5:31am On Aug 15, 2012

3 Likes

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by fushia(m): 5:40am On Aug 15, 2012
^^Damn I love it.

No one knows more than Africans. grin grin
tongue
Re: Akatas On Nairaland by Ybutterfly: 5:40am On Aug 15, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^[size=20pt]THE ONLY COUNTRIES THAT CALL FOOTBALL SOCCER:[/size]^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

USA
PARTS OF CANADA
SOUTH AFRICA
AUSTRALIA
US VIRGIN ISLANDS
PARTS OF PUERTO RICO

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^[size=20pt]THE REST CALL IT FOOTBALL[/size]^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/In_what_countries_is_soccer_called_football
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_countries_call_football_soccer

3 Likes

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by fushia(m): 5:41am On Aug 15, 2012
fushia: ^^Damn I love it.

No one knows more than Africans. grin grin
tongue
Re: Akatas On Nairaland by Ybutterfly: 5:43am On Aug 15, 2012
[size=20pt]American football is always football in the United States[/size]. In francophone Quebec, where Canadian football is more popular, the Canadian code is known as football and association football is known as le soccer.[83] Of the 45 national FIFA affiliates in which English is an [size=15pt]official or primary language, most currently use Football in their organizations' official names[/size]. [size=20pt]The FIFA affiliates in Canada and the United States use Soccer in their names.[/size]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football#Use_of_the_word_.22football.22

3 Likes

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by Ybutterfly: 5:45am On Aug 15, 2012
[size=20pt]A few FIFA affiliates have recently "normalized" to using "Football", including[/size]:

[size=20pt]Australia's association football governing body changed its name in 2007 from using "soccer" to "football"[/size][84]
[size=20pt]New Zealand [/b]also changed in 2007, saying "the international game is called football."[/size][85]
[size=20pt][b]Samoa
changed from "Samoa Football (Soccer) Federation" to "Football Federation Samoa" in 2009[/size]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football#Use_of_the_word_.22football.22

3 Likes

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by Ybutterfly: 5:51am On Aug 15, 2012
[size=20pt]Countries that call it football[/size]

[size=15pt]Association football is known as "football" in the majority of countries where English is an official language, such as the United Kingdom, the Commonwealth Caribbean (including Trinidad and Tobago,[3] Jamaica and others), Malta, India, Nigeria, Cameroon, Pakistan, Liberia, Singapore, Hong Kong and others, stretching over many regions including parts of Europe, Asia, Africa, the Caribbean and Central America.[/size]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_for_association_football

2 Likes

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by Ybutterfly: 5:56am On Aug 15, 2012
[size=20pt]Non-English speaking countries[/size]

[size=15pt]French: football [25]
Spanish: fútbol [26]
Portuguese: futebol
Romanian: fotbal
Galician: fútbol
Turkish: futbol
Albanian: futboll
Catalan: futbol
Russian: футбол (futbol)
Bulgarian futbol (футбол)[27]
Ukrainian, Belarussian: футбол (futbol)[28]
Serbian: fudbal (фудбал)
Czech: fotbal
Slovak: futbal
Norwegian: fotball
Swedish: fotboll
Danish: fodbold[/size]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_for_association_football

2 Likes

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by anonymous6(f): 6:04am On Aug 15, 2012
Ybutterfly:

[img]http://4.bp..com/_DlJyFTh4bjU/S9c-tvmACgI/AAAAAAAAJX0/Zbiv5AY_biw/s1600/world_football_languages_100427.jpg[/img]

This is funny, any way from what I am seeing both of you are right, Soccer is not only a American term but the majority of the countries in the world use Footbal or Futbal and etc as the term at the sametime. So depending on the way you look at it both sides wins

2 Likes

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by anonymous6(f): 6:06am On Aug 15, 2012
@shollypopz

Hi, this thread is a circus, lol

3 Likes

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by TerryCarr(m): 6:20am On Aug 15, 2012
it does not change the fact that americans are not the only people who call in soccer as you said and the fact that soccer the word came from England makes it funny when people complain. the oldest soccer club in Britain "The Football Association" they shorten the name too "assoc" the the word would become soccer
The United States has its own football

Where he comes from, the sport he plays is called “football.” It’s also known by that name in most of the world.

But America has its own game called “football.” And it’s the most popular sport in the land
More on this topic

So where does the word “soccer” come from. And why would one sport have two names.

The English people, especially, get annoyed at their national sport being called something other than what they call it. They invented the game, after all.

Yet when one looks in the dictionary for the meaning of the word “soccer” it becomes apparent that Americans and other people have a perfect right to call the sport by that name.

Soccer is football. Association Football that is.

According to English language dictionaries, Soccer is a short or an acronym for association football. The word “soccer” was first used by the English.

Other countries have their own football

Here is the problem with soccer and football.

There is more than one game called by that name.

In England, the other game is Rugby football, or simply rugby,

In Ireland, there is Gaelic football, a very different game from rugby and soccer.

There is also Australian Rules Football, American Football and Canadian Football (similar to American football).

In those respective countries, the other football is soccer.

From Beckham’s viewpoint, he gave in to the word “soccer” because he is on a mission to popularize the sport on the North American continent.

http://suite101.com/article/one-mans-soccer-is-another-mans-football-a63409

1 Like

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by Ybutterfly: 7:05am On Aug 15, 2012
TerryCarr: it does not change the fact that americans are not the only people who call in soccer as you said and the fact that soccer the word came from England makes it funny when people complain. the oldest soccer club in Britain "The Football Association" they shorten the name too "assoc" the the word would become soccer

http://suite101.com/article/one-mans-soccer-is-another-mans-football-a63409

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THAT FIGHT OF WHO INVENTED SOCCER I COULD CARELESS ABOUT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THAT WAS NEVER MY ARGUMENT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^OR THE ARGUMENT OF WHAT COUNTRIES SAY SOCCER^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^BECAUSE I DON'T DISAGREEEE WITHHH YOUR MAP & ARTICLE^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^BUT I NEEDED TO ELABORATE ON THATTTTT SINCE YOU ARE DEFENDING YOURRR AKATAAA PEOPLEEE^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^SINCE YOUR MAP WASN'T AS ELABORATE WITH THE TREMENDOUS GREY^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^SO AMERICANS HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY SOCCER^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^BUT WHEN A FOOOOOOOOL COME IN A NAIJA TERRITORY AND MISTAKE WHAT WE CALL FOOTBALL FOR NFL^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I WILL LET HER KNOW THAT SHE IS A DUMMYYY^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^AND KEEP SAYING FOOTBALL IN HER FACEEE^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^YOUR ARGUMENT OF WHO EVER INVENTED SOCCER^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^AND IS USAGE IS CORRECT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^BUT NEVER MY ARGUMENT IN THE FIRST PLACE^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^YOURR FACTS DON'TTT CHANGE THAT FACTTT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^OF A DUMMMMY^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1 Like

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by TerryCarr(m): 7:16am On Aug 15, 2012
Ybutterfly:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THAT FIGHT OF WHO INVENTED SOCCER I COULD CARELESS ABOUT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THAT WAS NEVER MY ARGUMENT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^OR THE ARGUMENT OF WHAT COUNTRIES SAY SOCCER^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^BECAUSE I DON'T DISAGREEEE WITHHH YOUR MAP & ARTICLE^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^BUT I NEEDED TO ELABORATE ON THATTTTT SINCE YOU ARE DEFENDING YOURRR AKATAAA PEOPLEEE^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^SINCE YOUR MAP WASN'T AS ELABORATE WITH THE TREMENDOUS GREY^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^SO AMERICANS HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY SOCCER^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^BUT WHEN A FOOOOOOOOL COME IN A NAIJA TERRITORY AND MISTAKE WHAT WE CALL FOOTBALL FOR NFL^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I WILL LET HER KNOW THAT SHE IS A DUMMYYY^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^AND KEEP SAYING FOOTBALL IN HER FACEEE^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^YOUR ARGUMENT OF WHO EVER INVENTED SOCCER^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^AND IS USAGE IS CORRECT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^BUT NEVER MY ARGUMENT IN THE FIRST PLACE^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^YOURR FACTS DON'TTT CHANGE THAT FACTTT
stop trolling with your capital letters

1 Like

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by Nobody: 7:17am On Aug 15, 2012
TerryCarr: stop trolling with your capital letters

lol
Re: Akatas On Nairaland by Ybutterfly: 7:18am On Aug 15, 2012
TerryCarr: stop trolling with your capital letters

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^[size=15pt]NOOO THANKSS AKATA[/size]^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I LIKE IT LIKE THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^VERY FUN
kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by 2legit2qwt: 7:19am On Aug 15, 2012
**un-follow**
Re: Akatas On Nairaland by TerryCarr(m): 7:38am On Aug 15, 2012
Ybutterfly:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^[size=15pt]NOOO THANKSS AKATA[/size]^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I LIKE IT LIKE THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^VERY FUN
bet you live in America or Britain
Re: Akatas On Nairaland by Nobody: 7:40am On Aug 15, 2012
I am about to Unfollow this thread too....This is ridiculous lol

Page looks like Child Scribble.

2 Likes

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by TerryCarr(m): 7:59am On Aug 15, 2012
~Royal~:
I am about to Unfollow this thread too....This is ridiculous lol

Page looks like Child Scribble.

the name of the thread is a give away that it is gonna be crap

1 Like

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by sambos994(m): 8:22am On Aug 15, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

You can say my name....

Let me repeat this again and mofos need to comprehend and retain it well.

I said it is a shame that there are non-Africans that know more than Africans who do not know their OWN HISTORY of their OWN COUNTRY/CONTINENT. I also provided an example.....

It all started when you got hurt[b] niggas[/b] who can't comprehend and started wailing to only get their arses beat AGAIN.

I STILL STAND ON THAT...and NONE OF YOU MOFOS can do a damn thing about it but BIATCH AND MOAN.

This is a discussion...not a fight club.

1 Like

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by sambos994(m): 8:24am On Aug 15, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Yeah sure. You were posing as a "guest" on this thread. tongue tongue tongue

Sure...posing as guest for 2 hours. Pleeaase tell me you're joking. grin grin grin
Re: Akatas On Nairaland by Ybutterfly: 2:15pm On Aug 15, 2012
TerryCarr: bet you live in America or Britain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKSQmYUaIyE

1 Like

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by suyu: 2:27pm On Aug 15, 2012
crazy thread
Re: Akatas On Nairaland by naijarican(f): 4:54pm On Aug 15, 2012

LOL... who gets a face palm now! Good drop TC
Re: Akatas On Nairaland by naijarican(f): 4:59pm On Aug 15, 2012
TerryCarr: bet you live in America or Britain

Where ever she lives, she's nitwit none the less.

2 Likes

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by Ybutterfly: 5:11pm On Aug 15, 2012
naijarican:

Where ever she lives, she's nitwit none the less.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^[size=40pt]AKATA POWER[/size]^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^nitwit

kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by naijarican(f): 5:14pm On Aug 15, 2012
Ybutterfly:

nitwit

At least you know your name. LOL

1 Like

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by Ybutterfly: 5:15pm On Aug 15, 2012
naijarican:

[size=40pt]AKATA...yes I am[/size]LOL

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^[size=15pt]AT LEAST YOU KNOW YOUR NAME[/size]^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^LOL

1 Like

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by naijarican(f): 5:18pm On Aug 15, 2012
Ybutterfly:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^[size=15pt]AT LEAST YOU KNOW YOUR NAME[/size]^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^LOL

Akata is fine, nitwit... No so much.

1 Like

Re: Akatas On Nairaland by Ybutterfly: 5:18pm On Aug 15, 2012
naijarican:

[size=30pt]Akata & nitwit... IS FINE[/size].

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^[size=20pt]OK[/size]^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34)

Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites / Aminu Sanusi Lamido Resumes Duty As Police Officer Officially (Photo) / Do You Seriously Think Black People Are Equal To White People In Intelligence?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.