Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,081 members, 7,818,236 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:53 AM

Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria (59998 Views)

Fani-kayode Writes Open Letter To Buhari On The War Against Boko Haram / APC Has Won The Elections, Except PDP Rigs On The Other Side – Tinubu / My Take On Stella Oduah's Fake MBA Degree - Femi Fani-kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Rhino5dm: 3:23am On Aug 14, 2012
Never claimed Awo was perfect either.

Obiagu1:

Do you want me to admit twice that Zik fu<ked up while you have no remorse at the reason why Awolowo made a 360 degree turn?
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Obiagu1(m): 3:24am On Aug 14, 2012
PhysicsQED:

If this was directed at me, my point is that, no you haven't addressed anything. You haven't explained the scenario you keep imagining and you haven't even explained why a person from a group with huge influence in determining the course of events in a country would say something like "it was those people from the village of Sasaro. That village caused my group's downfall!" grin grin as if that wasn't a perspective completely divorced from reality and a display of weakness.

Well if you don't know why Fani Kayode replied the North nor why Middle belt youths are crying being used in the war nor why Asari Dokubo addressed the North, then you are not being sincere. It must not be a replica scenario that will enrage you to tell the North, "hey, hold it there!"

Again, like I told you, no group is inconsequential in a war especially when their position will open up a new front.
Anyway, leave the Midwest for now let me fully digest why Ojukwu said that "Awolowo was the best President Nigeria never had". cool
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by PhysicsQED(m): 3:35am On Aug 14, 2012
Obiagu1:

Well if you don't know why Fani Kayode replied the North nor why Middle belt youths are crying being used in the war nor why Asari Dokubo addressed the North, then you are not being sincere. It must not be a replica scenario that will enrage you to tell the North, hey, hold it there!

Where did I say I don't know why those people are saying what they're saying? I know certain parts of Nigeria played and play a big role in all the political drama that has consumed Nigeria for decades, after all.

Again, like I told you, no group is inconsequential in a war especially when their position will open up a new front.

It's not about any group being inconsequential in a war it's how deluded people are imagining nonsense and how pathetic the blame game is given the realities of the different groups in the 60s. It'd be more appropriate to see an Igbo "confession" before anything like that of the non-Igbo Midwest actually grin grin But I know delusion and a distorted perspective on reality from some people would prevent that from ever happening. . .
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by PhysicsQED(m): 3:50am On Aug 14, 2012
If one washed up, loudmouthed, "attack dog" (as Fani Kayode was described) non-Igbo controversial politician from the Midwest who served in some administration comes out and starts making claims about this or that or putting forward his perspective on history, I'm sure Obiagu will be ecstatic and do a backflip right there on the spot grin, as if that would be anything other than one man's opinion.
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Obiagu1(m): 3:57am On Aug 14, 2012
PhysicsQED: If one washed up, loudmouthed, "attack dog" (as Fani Kayode was described) non-Igbo controversial politician from the Midwest who served in some administration comes out and starts making claims about this or that or putting forward his perspective on history, I'm sure Obiagu will be ecstatic and do a backflip right there on the spot grin, as if that would be anything other than one man's opinion.

See how Physics wan kill me for here. I for no mention Midwest at all, in fact, I retract every mention of Midwest. cool

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Katsumoto: 4:05am On Aug 14, 2012
It is only on NL that you will see a motley crue of ignorant, disingenuous, and downright foolish personas who will feed on the words of a drug-user like Fani-Kayode to malign the person of the GREAT Obafemi Awolowo.

1. How relevant is the individual
Who precisely is Fani-Kayode? Who appointed him a spokesman of the Yoruba? The only relevance Fani-Kayode derives, are from his former godfather, the gorilla of Owu and his father who was expelled from AG and too irrelevant to be killed by the Jan 66 plotters. . Has Fani-Kayode won an election any where in Nigeria? Was Fani-Kayode not a junkie when he was returned to Nigeria?

2. Motive
Fani-Kayode’s father was expelled from Awo’s AG and would fall into obscurity after Jan 1966

3. Knowledge
Was Fani-Kayode present when Gowon promised Awo presidency? Would Fani-Kayode and the resident idiots on NL have us believe that Gowon and Murtala were foolish enough to believe that Awo would fall for that cheap bait or that Awo was daft enough to fall for the said bait?

In any case, Fani-Kayode showcases the gaps in his history by stating that the 3rd Marine Commando was 98% Yoruba. The 3MC was formed from the Lagos Garrison Office (LGO) and that didn’t even have a Yoruba majority.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by naijaking1: 4:13am On Aug 14, 2012
Thanks for the education Mr. Fani-Kayode. For a million years here on N/L, many people have argued, confused, and tried to amend pure history, and the truth which you have spoken about, namely:
1. Awolowo agreed to form Odudua republic
2. The SW had no real reason to attack their SE brethren, except for the pressure from the north.
3. Awolowo was promised, decieved, manipulated, and made to believe that the office of the presidency would be given to him if he could get 'people' to help fight against 'Igbos'
4. We know what happened in 1973 when Gowon "promised" to hand over power to Awo, and then again in 1976 when Gowon said he still had a lot to do for Nigeria, and that Nigeria was not ready for Awo.
Why does history always repeat itself?
From Afonja, to Gowon(who) assasinated his principal, to Awo who was so possesed by the idea of ruling Nigeria that he sold his soul, and abandoned the truth and the glorious future of Nigeria, to OBJ who really never had a clue.

BTW, Katsumoto, its good you're online, I like your imput here

2 Likes

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Katsumoto: 4:37am On Aug 14, 2012
Billyonaire: The Present day Yoruba man is more savvy than the Awos, they will never be used and dumped as Awo was by the North. Modern day Yoruba race must have learnt from Awo's betrayal and will never give the North Access to the Ocean anymore. The West has to root out people like Tinubu and Tunde Bakare from their political equation and Unite with the rest of the Southerners to get the haramic North from our progressive new found country of Southern Nigeria-A land of milk, honey,Oil and gas, but if they chose not to, America and Russia needs our Oil, and if we have Russia and America behind us, who can be against us?

This paid internet hack is making statements about being used. If you combine your brain with your lord and master's, GEJ, one will not get up to Awo's toenail. One wonders how people like you are selected for your online roles. What access to the ocean did Awo give the North? Don't northerners, as Nigerians, have access to the ocean? Only dullards revert all discussions to oil and gas. Mr Internet Billyonaire.
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by na2day(m): 4:38am On Aug 14, 2012
I must confess, this thread is particularly enlightening grin
To the coherent posters from both sides, good job!
While waiting for the round 2
Let me bring out my bowl of popcorn grin

3 Likes

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Obiagu1(m): 4:45am On Aug 14, 2012
Katsumoto: It is only on NL that you will see a motley crue of ignorant, disingenuous, and downright foolish personas who will feed on the words of a drug-user like Fani-Kayode to malign the person of the GREAT Obafemi Awolowo.

1. How relevant is the individual
Who precisely is Fani-Kayode? Who appointed him a spokesman of the Yoruba? The only relevance Fani-Kayode derives, are from his former godfather, the gorilla of Owu and his father who was expelled from AG and too irrelevant to be killed by the Jan 66 plotters. . Has Fani-Kayode won an election any where in Nigeria? Was Fani-Kayode not a junkie when he was returned to Nigeria?

2. Motive
Fani-Kayode’s father was expelled from Awo’s AG and would fall into obscurity after Jan 1966

3. Knowledge
Was Fani-Kayode present when Gowon promised Awo presidency? Would Fani-Kayode and the resident idiots on NL have us believe that Gowon and Murtala were foolish enough to believe that Awo would fall for that cheap bait or that Awo was daft enough to fall for the said bait?

In any case, Fani-Kayode showcases the gaps in his history by stating that the 3rd Marine Commando was 98% Yoruba. The 3MC was formed from the Lagos Garrison Office (LGO) and that didn’t even have a Yoruba majority.

There's no need to attack his person. His father was a key player then and he was privy to information you don't have or have continually denied. His response to Alhaji Usman Faruk was not intended as an attack on Awolowo, rather he was merely setting the record straight. Igbos have always maintained that there was a pact with Awolowo that he reneged on.
Unfortunately for Fani Kayode, he let out the "thou shall never mention" not knowing that it will anger historians like you.

You can deny all you want, attack him all you want but you can never twist the truth one bit!

3 Likes

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Katsumoto: 4:45am On Aug 14, 2012
Damn, English grammar is so difficult for many Biafrans. It appears that many don’t know about conditional clauses and its uses in sentence construction. A conditional clause is used to express that the action in the main clause will only occur IF a certain condition/action is actualized.

Let’s take a look at what Awo said’
If the Eastern Region is allowed by acts of omission or commission to secede from or opt out of Nigeria, then the Western Region and Lagos must also stay out of the Federation.

Simply put, IF Nigeria allows the East to secede, then the West would also opt out of Nigeria. Nothing in there suggests that Awo promised/threatened to pull out of Nigeria with Biafra. The main action in that statement is that the West WILL secede and the conditional clause is IF the East is allowed by acts of omission or commission to secede. As long as the East wasn’t successful in its bid to secede, the main action CANNOT occur.
If Awo wanted to promise that the West would secede with the East, he would have said, ‘the West WILL also declare secession if the East declares secession’. In Awo’s comment, he is STATING that the secession of the East is contingent upon action or inaction on the part of the rest of the Nigerian Federation.

I dare any of you to produce a text in which Awo stated that the Yoruba were going to secede with Biafra. What concerned the Yoruba with Biafra? Was Awo your leader? Bloddy failures who bit of more than they could chew and then resorted to blaming the man who warned them severally about the contraption called Nigeria and the dangers of seceding.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Katsumoto: 4:50am On Aug 14, 2012
Obiagu1:

There's no need to attack his person. His father was a key player then and he was privy to information you don't have or have continually denied. His response to Alhaji Usman Faruk was not intended as an attack on Awolowo but he was merely setting the record straight. Igbos have always maintained that there was a pact with Awolowo that he reneged on.
Unfortunately for Fani Kayode, he let out the "thou shall never mention" not knowing that it will anger historians like you.

You can deny all you want, attack him all you want but you can never twist the truth one bit!

Fani-Kayode was irrelevant from Jan 1966; he was not privy to any information of that sort. So we are supposed to take the words of a returnee junkie as gospel just because he has provided 'some truths', your words, which feeds into your predisposed but unproven views?

Can any of you shed light on this phantom agreement Awo had with Biafra?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Chyz2: 4:52am On Aug 14, 2012
I'm glad the truth is coming out from the horses mouth, a Yoruba. Next thing you will say he be Igbo just like you all tried to say Obasanjo's father is from Onitsha. Let the truth continue to reveal itself. All of you tribalist NL Swesterners should now eat your own throw-ups.

3 Likes

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Katsumoto: 4:54am On Aug 14, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^^It's the above quote from the Fani-Kayode that really saddens me....and makes me wonder how people can be so heartless and driven by material gain and power; How can Awo and Obasanjo (in the face of proven and apparent evil committed by the north) team up with these same people to sustain a lie.....not minding the fact that their ambitions were built on the blood of innocent women and children? Just b'cos they weren't from your ethnicity?

It's up there in black and white that the Biafran Army respected the sensibilities and territorial integrity of the Yorubas (contrary to what some of them would have you believe) by first seeking permission for safe passage to be able to take the fight to the enemy, but they were refused.

The whole sordid affair stinks!!!

May God judge them accordingly.....Amen.

Banjo who was leading the Biafran Expeditionary Force, was a Yoruba man. He knew the implications of invading Yoruba territory and that was why he sent message to Ibadan. Ojukwu also knew this when he appointed Banjo; afterall, Ojukwu did not afford the Mid-west, the same sensibilities when the same Biafran force invaded the mid-west.
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by 2mch(m): 4:54am On Aug 14, 2012
Fani kayode is not credible. But he is right in that Yoruba's ended the war. That mallam throwing infantile bullsh*it has just been schooled. Must be a typical NLer. All mouth, no brains. Awo did what was necessary for his people and he will always be loved and remembered for that. Igbo's had been trying to rule the west so they could not be trusted. Why match to SW when your enemies are in the north? You can declare victory from your village. SW cannot be ruled by a foreigner. We don't even give corrupt Oba's the luxury of peace not to talk of a different tribe.

7 Likes

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Chyz2: 4:59am On Aug 14, 2012
Katsumoto: Damn, English grammar is so difficult for many Biafrans. It appears that many don’t know about conditional clauses and its uses in sentence construction. A conditional clause is used to express that the action in the main clause will only occur IF a certain condition/action is actualized.

Let’s take a look at what Awo said’
If the Eastern Region is allowed by acts of omission or commission to secede from or opt out of Nigeria, then the Western Region and Lagos must also stay out of the Federation.

Simply put, IF Nigeria allows the East to secede, then the West would also opt out of Nigeria. Nothing in there suggests that Awo promised/threatened to pull out of Nigeria with Biafra. The main action in that statement is that the West WILL secede and the conditional clause is IF the East is allowed by acts of omission or commission to secede. As long as the East wasn’t successful in its bid to secede, the main action CANNOT occur.
If Awo wanted to promise that the West would secede with the East, he would have said, ‘the West WILL also declare secession if the East declares secession’. In Awo’s comment, he is STATING that the secession of the East is contingent upon action or inaction on the part of the rest of the Nigerian Federation.

I dare any of you to produce a text in which Awo stated that the Yoruba were going to secede with Biafra. What concerned the Yoruba with Biafra? Was Awo your leader? Bloddy failures who bit of more than they could chew and then resorted to blaming the man who warned them severally about the contraption called Nigeria and the dangers of seceding.

At bolded, that'w where the bretrayal and deceit started. When he said Nigeria, did Nigeria not mean his Western Region, the Mid-West, and the North? So in other words he is saying "We Westerners will prevent the Easterners from seceding and if Biafra wins the war we Yoruba can no longer remain a part of what's left of what is then known to be Nigeria". Very cunning indeed.

1 Like

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Katsumoto: 5:02am On Aug 14, 2012
The problem with some of you Biafrans is that you have selective memory. You are quick to point out the faults in others but fail to see your own faults because of your massive egos. Lets look at some facts which many of you ignore. Like they say, as you lay your bed, so shall you lie on it. If you refuse to move on and prefer to blame others, then we shall be here to provide additional context and facts. You made a power grab and lost; deal with it and stop whining like little biatches.

1. Appointments made by Ironsi after the Jan 66 coup

Chief of Staff (Supreme Headquarters) – Ogundipe (West)
Chief of Army (Staff) – Gowon (North)
Chief of Staff (NAF),Lt. Col.George Kurubo (East, non-Igbo)
Commanding Officer, 2 Bde, Lt. Col. H. Njoku (East, Igbo)
Commanding Officer, 2 Bn, Major H. Igboba (Midwest, Igbo)
Commanding Officer, Abeokuta Garrison, Major G. Okonweze (Midwest, Igbo)
Commanding Officer, 4 Bn, Major Nzefili (Midwest, Igbo) -Rejected by Northern troops and replaced by Joe Akahan
Commanding Officer, Federal Guards, Major Ochei (Midwest, Igbo)
Commanding Officer, 1 Bn, Major D. Ogunewe (East, Igbo)
Commanding Officer, 1 Bde, Lt. ColW. Bassey (East, non-Igbo)
Commanding Officer, 3 Bn, Major Okoro (East, Igbo)
Commanding Officer, Depot, Major F. Akagha (East, Igbo)
Commanding Officer, 5 Bn,Major M. Shuwa (North)

2. After the Police completed its interrogation, the January coup suspects were transported to different prisons in the South but mainly in the East

3. A court-martial panel was nominated, headed by Lt. Colonel Conrad Nwawo (Nzeogwu’s friend and the man responsible for negotiating Nzeogwu’s surrender). Yet every time this panel was to sit, directives came from Supreme headquarters to postpone

4. The deaths of the victims in January, apart from Balewa, were not announced until after Ironsi was overthrown, leaving room for rumours and innuendos.

5. Ironsi’s advisory team comprised Francis Nwokedi, Pius Okigbo, and Lt. Colonel Patrick Anwunah

6. Ironsi made Nwokedi the sole commissioner forthe establishment of an administrative machinery for a unified Nigeria

7. Ironsi abolished the compulsory Hausa test for civil service positions in the North, meaning that non-Hausa speaking people could take positions in the North.

8. Ironsi promulgated decree 34 which divided Nigeria into 35 provinces and made all civil servants part of a unified civil service despite being advised not to do so by Katsina, Gowon, Bassey, and Kam Salem. The day after the promulgation of decree 34, Lt. Col.Ojukwu publicly announced in Enugu that on the basis of seniority, Igbo civil servants would be transferred to other regions and Lagos.

9. The Drummermagazine June publication contained two provocative articles; “Why Nigeria Exploded” by Nelson Ottah which allegedly derided northern leaders,and “Sir Ahmadu rose in his shrouds and spoke from the dead” by Coz Idapo, which allegedly featured a cartoon in which the reverred late Premier was asking for forgiveness from Idapo. These articles were blamed for the May 1966 riot in some Northern cities which led to approximately 600 Igbo deaths

10. Offensive photographs showing Major Nzeogwu standing on the late Sardauna of Sokoto were said to be distributed in the open including market places.Some Igbos were even alleged to have worn stickers to that effect and were eager, in conversations with northerners, to point to Nzeogwu saying ‘Shi ne maganin ku”, meaning “he is the one who can knock sense into you”.Grammophone records with machine gun sounds were released, to remind Northerners, it is said, of the bullets that felled their leaders in January. If this wasn’t true, why did General Ironsi issue orders that anyone displaying provocative pictures or singing offensive songs would be arrested for incitement and would face 3 months imprisonment or 50 pounds fine or both (Decree 40)?

11. An Army company was deployed to Sokoto as a permanent garrison allegedly under an Igbo Major.

12. Shehu Shagari was detained and questioned for three days in Lagos about questions over NPC funds. The houses of other NPC chieftains were also searched.

13. Eleven (11) Majors were promoted substantive Lt. Cols while fourteen (14) Majors were made temporary Lt. Cols.Of these, 19 were Igbo or Igbo speaking easterners and midwesterners, 5 northerners (Katsina, Akahan, Shuwa, Muhammed, Haruna) and one Yoruba (Olutoye). These promotions happened even though there was a moratorium on promotions in the military.

14. In his biography titled“Power with Civility” by Oleka and Ofondu (Neskon 1998), Rear Admiral Ndubuisi Kanu, an Igbo easterner who later fought in the Biafran Navy, states:“That Igbos, including soldiers in the barracks, teased their Northern counterparts about what they regarded as swapping of fortune, served to fray tempers.It was not long before Northerners vented their spleen on their Igbo guests. An orgy of killing of Igbos throughout all nooks and crannies of the Northern Region kicked off.”In his book, “Revolution in Nigeria, Another View” late General Garba describes how his soldiers in the Federal Guard broke down in tears in Jankara market in Lagos when they heard the album “Machine Gun” .General Danjuma (rtd) says even the wives of Igbo soldiers were taunting the wives of Northern soldiers.

15. In an interview back in the early eighties with Radio Kaduna, then Brigadier (later Major General) Mamman Vatsa, now deceased, is quoted by Elaigwu as saying:
“The July coup was motivated by the actions in January 1966 whereby an illegal action was legitimized.If you do that, you expect a counter reaction. July 29, 1966 was a reaction to an inaction against an illegal action….Right from the beginning, the GOC, Nigerian Army regarded these people as ‘rebels’.If that was accepted, the immediate thing was to take the necessary action to get them disciplined legally. If this was not done, then the GOC was condoning indiscipline or treason.Rather than punish men from his army who were on mutiny, he was now asking the civilian government to hand over to him before he could maintain discipline in an organization of which he was in charge….In the first instance, he shouldn’t even have taken over the power……”

Sources
1. “General Ironsi’s trust in his friends leads Nigeria back to tribal strife” – Walter Schwarz

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Katsumoto: 5:05am On Aug 14, 2012
Chyz*:

At bolded, that'w where the bretrayal and deceit started. When he said Nigeria, did Nigeria not mean his Western Region, the Mid-West, and the North? So in other words he is saying "We Westerners will prevent the Easterners from seceding and if Biafra wins the war we Yoruba can no longer remain a part of what's left of what is then known to be Nigeria". Very cunning indeed.

Dude,

Please enrol for English Language classes.
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Katsumoto: 5:12am On Aug 14, 2012
Onlytruth:

We actually don't hate anybody (you may not believe it but it is true), especially the Yoruba, because honestly we think that you are no match to us in real brain work. Please no offense.
The way some of you react to your gap in that department is to lose your conscience: constantly betraying agreements and stabbing people in the back even if you will pay for it later.

There is a difference between intelligence and treachery. Some of you mistake the one for the other.

The "conquered territory" thingy is an open truth because the Hausa/Fulani constantly remind you of that.
The Igbo are only enjoying the reputation they acquired through their actions in the civil war. Nobody doubts what we Igbo can do as evidenced by facts from fairly recent history. We paid for our reputation in BLOOD.
Time to earn yours. wink

Let's look at the facts

The only war Ndigbo fought, it lost. Only losers with massive egos think they earned something other than defeat.

Lets look at the dictionary meaning of conquer.

1. to acquire by force of arms; win in war: to conquer a foreign land.
2. to overcome by force; subdue: to conquer an enemy.

Now can you tell us which Yoruba territory was conquered?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Obiagu1(m): 5:12am On Aug 14, 2012
Katsumoto:

Fani-Kayode was irrelevant from Jan 1966; he was not privy to any information of that sort. So we are supposed to take the words of a returnee junkie as gospel just because he has provided 'some truths', your words, which feeds into your predisposed but unproven views?

Can any of you shed light on this phantom agreement Awo had with Biafra?

Neither you nor I knew actually what went on behind closed doors. Awo's speech was how a speech should be, you don't give out everything; unfortunately, that's were you're solely anchoring your argument on. The conditional clause carries less weight, just a way to say, "hey, this could happen if" before he goes back to plan how to actualise his plan. He never said, you must fight Biafrans and call upon me when you are ready, did he?
North gave their warning, gave conditions like Usman Faruk stated and gave promises like Kayode stated and neither were made public to you and I.

I would have doubted Kayode if his intent was to attack Awolowo, but he was just bragging "we Yorubas did it for you" to the extent he claimed 95% of the 3rd Marine Commandos were of Yoruba descent to give himself a sense of pride.
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Katsumoto: 5:18am On Aug 14, 2012
Obiagu1:

Neither you nor I knew actually what went on behind closed doors. Awo's speech was how a speech should be, you don't give out everything; unfortunately, that's were you're solely anchoring your argument on. The conditional clause carries less weight, just a way to say, "hey, this could happen if" before he goes back to plan how to actualise his plan. He never said, you must fight Biafrans and call upon me when you are ready, did he?
North gave their warning, gave conditions like Usman Faruk stated and gave promises like Kayode stated and neither were made public to you and I.

I would have doubted Kayode if his intent was to attack Awolowo, but he was just bragging "we Yorubas did it for you" to the extent he claimed 95% of the 3rd Marine Commandos were of Yoruba descent to give himself a sense of pride.

Can you at least present something to support your position other than 'things that went on behind closed doors'?

Why should Awo have said 'you must fight Biafrans and call upon me when you are ready? Did Awo tell you in May 1967 he was taking sides? The man argued for peace, at least thats whats contained in his speeches and efforts. You guys need to leave all this 'bullshit assumptions' in your village squares. Stop trying to interprete Awo's mind, you are not mind readers. His language is very clear.

1 Like

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Katsumoto: 5:23am On Aug 14, 2012
Obiagu1: The truth shall set us free! I hope that the Yorubas will finally see reason with us rather than throw empty punches to cover the past.

Points to note:
-Biafran troops stopped at Ore and asked for free passage because their intention was not occupy Yoruba land as some NLers often talk about. Yorubas refused rather attacked Biafrans. Biafran intention was to get to Lagos, the seat of government.

-Awolowo really had a pact with Biafra but reneged when promised Presidency. He sold his conscience and killed innocent children with his policies.

Can you shed some light on the pact Awo had with Biafra?

In the time I have spent on NL, I am yet to meet a Biafran who has articulated this debate about Awo having a pact and backing that position with some facts.

When are you guys going to put up or shut up? Who was present at this pact? Where was it held? What day?

Awo and Ojukwu met and their conversation was recorded; there was no pact.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Obiagu1(m): 5:26am On Aug 14, 2012
Katsumoto:

Can you at least present something to support your position other than 'things that went on behind closed doors'?

Why should Awo have said 'you must fight Biafrans and call upon me when you are ready? Did Awo tell you in May 1967 he was taking sides? The man argued for peace, at least thats whats contained in his speeches and efforts. You guys need to leave all this 'bullshit assumptions' in your village squares. Stop trying to interprete Awo's mind, you are not mind readers. His language is very clear.

I'm not trying to interpret Awo's mind. I never heard of the One mile military corridor from Offar to Wharf until now and I doubt if you do either. Some things are hidden until there is a quarrel.
This is the problem with historians, you read what others wrote but won't accept any other thing said by anyone. What if Kayode publishes his own account of events, will you quote him?
The scenario in which he made this statement makes it even more believable because it is neither an attack on Awo nor an attempt to rewrite history to favour the Yorubas over the Igbos or vise versa. It's none of these.
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Chyz2: 5:30am On Aug 14, 2012
Katsumoto:

Dude,

Please enrol for English Language classes.

Typical. Everyone has to agree with Oga Katsumoto or else.... Lol
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by kettykin: 5:34am On Aug 14, 2012
Katsumoto:

Let's look at the facts

The only war Ndigbo fought, it lost. Only losers with massive egos think they earned something other than defeat.

Lets look at the dictionary meaning of conquer.

1. to acquire by force of arms; win in war: to conquer a foreign land.
2. to overcome by force; subdue: to conquer an enemy.

Now can you tell us which Yoruba territory was conquered?

Kwara is a conquered territory infact it is still under colonisation
That condition, according to him was the establishment of a One Mile Corridor. “From Offa which is in our region, from the rail line to the sea (wharf) we declare One Mile Military Corridor, meaning all of them who built houses within One Mile, we will crush down their houses. And nobody will stop our vehicles and vessels from accessing the sea, this we told our Yorubas in Ilorin to tell them. And from that time we never hear them. This is Military Corridor, we of the past hope our children will carry it,” warning that nobody could stop the people of the North, whom he said number 120 million, from accessing the sea.

Not even Britain or USA could make this kind of Boast against conquered territories in the all over the world, like Iraq, afghanistan. this has left me bewildered and not able to get my self together all day and night, is this for real
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Katsumoto: 5:35am On Aug 14, 2012
Obiagu1:

I'm not trying to interpret Awo's mind. I never heard of the One mile military corridor from Offar to Wharf until now and I doubt if you do either. Some things are hidden until there is a quarrel.
This is the problem with historians, you read what others wrote but won't accept any other thing said by anyone. What if Kayode publishes his own account of events, will you quote him?
The scenario in which he made this statement makes it even more believable because it is neither an attack on Awo nor to rewrite the history to favour the Yoruba over the Igbos or vise versa. It's none of these.

If you write a book, then you have to supply sources. Otherwise, everyone would write books and make all kinds of assertions. Until Fani-Kayode does that, he is just ranting like a rabid dog.

The only thing he gets right is that Yoruba commanders distinguished themselves in that war.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Obiagu1(m): 5:35am On Aug 14, 2012
Katsumoto:

Can you shed some light on the pact Awo had with Biafra?

In the time I have spent on NL, I am yet to meet a Biafran who has articulated this debate about Awo having a pact and backing that position with some facts.

When are you guys going to put up or shut up? Who was present at this pact? Where was it held? What day?

Awo and Ojukwu met and their conversation was recorded; there was no pact.

You've been on NL for long and Igbos have always said that Awo was to declare independence too but that didn't happen. Now, Kayode, a Yoruba, repeated the same thing.
We don't have proof to back it up because we don't have it if that's what you need to believe it, but we know there was one from what we've heard.

As for writing a book, I can write one and quote Kayode, after all, his statement was published on a newspaper. Isn't it acceptable as a reference, the same kind of reference used by some of these revisionists?

2 Likes

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Katsumoto: 5:39am On Aug 14, 2012
kettykin:

Kwara is a conquered territory infact it is still under colonisation

Are you going to enlighten us on how Ilorin was conquered?

For the second time, Northerners are Nigerians, and as such do not require special dispensation to access the ocean? Why is it so difficult for people to understand this? Have many Northerners not controlled the Nigerian ports? Don't Northerners serve in the Navy?

One mile corridor ko, mile 12 market ni. Anyone who states that there are 120 million Northerners is smoking a lot of chronic.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Katsumoto: 5:42am On Aug 14, 2012
Obiagu1:

You've been on NL for long and Igbos have always said that Awo was to declare independence too but that didn't happen. Now, Kayode, a Yoruba, repeated the same thing.
We don't have proof to back it up because we don't have it if that's what you need to believe it, but we know there was one from what we've heard.

As for writing a book, I can write one and quote Kayode, after all, his statement was published on a newspaper. Isn't it acceptable as a reference?

What you heard is irrelevant; otherwise, the courts would accept hearsay.

Are you writing a book for adults, kids, or martians? You want to write a credible book and quote a newspaper? You are free to do that but you can't hinge all of your argument on that alone.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Obiagu1(m): 5:45am On Aug 14, 2012
Katsumoto:

What you heard is irrelevant; otherwise, the courts would accept hearsay.

Are you writing a book for adults, kids, or martians? You want to write a credible book and quote a newspaper? You are free to do that but you can't hinge all of your argument on that alone.

I told you before, challenge Fani Kayode himself, maybe he will come out with more detail and remember to call him a lie.
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by sheyguy: 5:48am On Aug 14, 2012
Awolowo cannot be tagged 'selfish'. He fought to help keep the one group that needed and wanted the Nigerian Union so badly, so bad that they begged their darling 'West' to go with the Union Nigeria in 1957 when they could 've acheived independence. Ten years later, after a failed attempt on the rest of Nigeria they now expect help from what they couldn't conquer.
Like the saying "People hate what they can't conquer", the hate in the average Igbo-man towards anything Nigerian during the war (save for the LOOT region) is obvious.
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by IleIfe2(m): 5:55am On Aug 14, 2012
9ja_I_hail: When people kept blaming awo for been the problem the southern Nigeria had yoruban's will rise up for his defense,do anyone noticed through what a true yoruba son said on this article? Fifthly it was the lie that Gowon and the northern leaders fed to Awolowo that he would be made President of the country after the war and after being effectively being made de facto Prime Minister under Gowon during the war that got Awoloo to support them.

Awo shame to u even in grave just because of power, Northerners promised you a president of Nigeria then you decided to use the blood of innocent igbo children and women to buy ur way into the presidency of Nigeria.I love the Northerners for their smartness after the war they made you april fool.

Guy Biafra lost the war, you can blame the Yorubas from now to thy kingdom come,nothing will ever change that. Woe betide any Yoruba man that is trying to apologize to the igbos. there is another war happening right in our face. What are you doing about it?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply)

Yoruba and Northern Nigerians Beheaded In Saudi Arabia (2008 article)- refresher / 18 States That Will Benefit From $500m World Bank Projects / Nigerians On Twitter Angrily React To Buhari Building A Helipad In Daura

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.