Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,348 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:07 AM

Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria - Politics (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria (59940 Views)

Fani-kayode Writes Open Letter To Buhari On The War Against Boko Haram / APC Has Won The Elections, Except PDP Rigs On The Other Side – Tinubu / My Take On Stella Oduah's Fake MBA Degree - Femi Fani-kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by shuddyy: 4:13pm On Aug 19, 2012
^ bros while I thoroughly enjoy your write up and the points are mostly true,I don't think ilorin people see themselves as northern yorubas. Yes they are extremely proud of their islamic identity but they don't consider themselves as northern yorubas. They are culturally, linguistically and historically yorubas. I know this because they are my people. Should nig fail I can bet they will go along with their larger yoruba nation.
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Epalos: 6:39pm On Aug 19, 2012
Keep your voice down, the secret is already out that ibo men can't do jack in bed, reason wise ibo women run to the arms of yoruba men(the hunks) wink grin
ifechez:

This halfwit, you asked why people would like to me igbo? yet fear dey catch u anytime u hear or read BIAFRA. Yet u dey shout of igbo expansionism and dominance. We are more than capable. why a non-igbo babe will readilly fall for an igbo guy is simply becos of his igbo symbolism. From onicha to aba to ph to kano to sokoto to lagos to ghana to port novo to togo to china to jakarta to korea to mozambique to zimbawea and even to ur cave village our igboness rings a bell.

1 Like

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Malawian(m): 6:51pm On Aug 19, 2012
Epalos: Keep your voice down, the secret is already out that ibo men can't do jack in bed, reason wise ibo women run to the arms of yoruba men(the hunks) wink grin
LWKMD grin grin grin. ... And why do Yoruba women run after igbo men? Man i just roasted one few nights ago. All these yourobber and their mouths sef, so na mouth una dey use fukk igbo girls now? Sorrrriiiii.
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Epalos: 6:57pm On Aug 19, 2012
You are rubbing your delinquency on Yoruba again, Its a known fact the world over that the fastest moving merchandise on every ibo man's shop is his wife, if a customer brings in enough money to an ibo man's shop he will be convinced to abandon the light bulb He came to buy and take his wife home, that's how ibos roll
ifechez:

Paranoid!!! Have u visited ose ogba ijaw in onicha b4? I know u havent. Dat place is one of the numerous yoruba populated enclaves in onicha dats known for halotry and sex peddeling. During my short stay in sokoto, i came to notice dat most sex hawkers are either women of Yoruba origin or togo just as it is in alimosho lga. By the way apart from lagos which was developed with oil proceeds no oda Yoruba cave can be compared with igboland. my visits to places like ilesha,owo etc always make me wonder and ponder what was the essence of awolowo otapiapia ''free education''. Go home and help ur people

1 Like

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Epalos: 7:08pm On Aug 19, 2012
Are you saying that we should drive ibos away from SW? the people that are poverty stricken in yorubaland are the ibos, we are doing everything to make sure that you guys are not left behind,it is not easy to carry noisy, bi.tchy nasty and ungrateful people along for a good cause
Ngodigha1:
YOU ARE A FAT FOOL. Why not be more concerned about poverty in joruba households rather than displaying stupidity here all along. In Lagos alone, your woomen do not do any other thing apart from roasting plantain, maize and peeling of oranges. See what your poor joruba mother is doing here.
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Epalos: 7:26pm On Aug 19, 2012
How can Yoruba help you guys to stop eating yam and plantain that is as hard as rock
ifechez:

Nwanne u just elevated Yoruba women hygiene. I dont agree with u they keep neat as d pix depicts. Where they cook is usually dirty and unhygienically kept,smelly and dark with black smoke hoverin like hawk everywhere. Tufiakwa
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by kettykin: 7:30pm On Aug 19, 2012
PStylish:

Answers
1.Nigeria won the civil war. Yorubas were the major commanders of the Nigerian Army. Obasanjo quashed the Biafran army and ended the stalemate that had emerged before his appointment. Biafran commander surrendered to him.

2. There is a rule of law in any society which every member of that society must adhere to. Otherwise, the society fails to exist. Whether rightly or wrongly,Awolowo was tried and found guilty and sent to prison.
Yorubas follow the rule of law.

3. MKO Abiola held Nigeria hostage for 5 years until his death. He remained a stumbling block to Abacha's ambitions and Abacha dared not raise a finger against him. Abacha would eventually die before him.
It was MKO that gave rise to Obasanjo's emergence.

4. Which 17 generals? Its only 3 I know - Diya, Adisa and Olanrewaju.
Thankfully, all 3 made it out of the prison alive while their captor, Abacha died like a common mouse.

5. Yorubas and Hausas are about the only tribes that emasculates and swallows up any tribe that settles among them.
Ilorin is a Yoruba town. The emir is a Yoruba man. His Yoruba name is Kolapo. The Fulani in Ilorin have been swallowed up.Yoruba is the language of Ilorin people.No Fulani trace anymore.The modern fulani do not consider the Ilorin Fulani as one of them anymore and would rather term them as northern Yoruba.
You Igbos do not know the history of Ilorin. What will it cost you to do a research? Afonja chose to align with the Fulani against his kinsmen.I am 100% sure Ilorin Yorubas prefer to be seen as northerners and prefer to have an emir. So be it!!!

6. Even Joseph in the bible had to go to prison before he became the Egypt's Prime Minister.Its nothing new.

Are you okay now?
1. Did Biafra lose the War based on Obasanjo's or yorubas military prowess or the formidable forces of Britain which sent Miliatry arsenal enough to wipe out Nigeria 3 times against Biafra , or the Soviet Union which was the most powerful technology/military power as the time sending MIGs,Kalanishkovs and other harware or the Arab world led by Egypt . it would be right for you to know why Biafra lost and that Biafra did not looses against Yoruba whose higest military office ws second in command to ironsi
2. you talked about rule of Law and how yorubas follow rule of law to the letter , if that was so how come there was operation wetie in yourba land which contravenes every rule of law and this led to a break down of law and order and the declaration of a state of emergency in the western region. If Yorubas follow rule of Law then Abiola would not be coup sponsor for 1983 coup and rule of Law would not be when you are hold the short end of the stick.

3. MKO did not hold Nigeria Hostage , rather Nigeria held him hostage for 5 years until he died after Abacha.

4. 1. Northern General imprisoned Abiola (the field Marshall of yoruba land ),OBJ the Yoruba only Head of state ,Adisa,Diya vice president and Olanrewaju and other numerous Officers ( which i can provide if you want it ) .
If Goodluck Jonathan was a Yoruba man he would probaly be serving his 5th year imprisonment with Ogomudia ,Owoye Azazi and all Ijaw Generals for plannining a coup he does not know anything about . And that by every standard is not obeying rule of law. this has happened to 2 yoruba genrals (genrals in rank) Ogundipe and Diya , the same thing almost Happened to Obasanjo in 1976 after the Regime of Murtala Mohammed was overthrown but OBJ was Saved by T.Y Danjuma who insisted he be allowed to take over .

5.from my reading and Experience living and working all over Nigeria Emirship is a symbol of Fulani control and domain All the Emirs in the whole Nigeria (except Emir of Bauchi) are all Fulani and decendants to the founder of the Sokoto Caliphate "Usman Dan Fodio" that there is an Emir in Illorin means the Fulanis control the Rulership of Illorin .
when the British Produced the Governor General of Nigeria , it meant the considered Nigeria their Colony.
6. Joseph case does not arise here , Joseph went to prison as a slave and not as a general in country , Please show me any other tribe that has had all their generals sent to prison by a single General or anyother general shitting and pissing in his pants before a Major
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by kettykin: 7:31pm On Aug 19, 2012
PStylish:

Answers
1.Nigeria won the civil war. Yorubas were the major commanders of the Nigerian Army. Obasanjo quashed the Biafran army and ended the stalemate that had emerged before his appointment. Biafran commander surrendered to him.

2. There is a rule of law in any society which every member of that society must adhere to. Otherwise, the society fails to exist. Whether rightly or wrongly,Awolowo was tried and found guilty and sent to prison.

3. MKO Abiola held Nigeria hostage for 5 years until his death. He remained a stumbling block to Abacha's ambitions and Abacha dared not raise a finger against him. Abacha would eventually die before him.

Thankfully, all 3 made it out of the prison alive while their captor, Abacha died like a common mouse.

5. Yorubas and Hausas are about the only tribes that emasculates and swallows up any tribe that settles among them.
Ilorin is a Yoruba town. The emir is a Yoruba man. His Yoruba name is Kolapo. The Fulani in Ilorin have been swallowed up.Yoruba is the language of Ilorin people.No Fulani trace anymore.The modern fulani do not consider the Ilorin Fulani as one of them anymore and would rather term them as northern Yoruba.
You Igbos do not know the history of Ilorin. What will it cost you to do a research? Afonja chose to align with the Fulani against his kinsmen.I am 100% sure Ilorin Yorubas prefer to be seen as northerners and prefer to have an emir. So be it!!!

6. Even Joseph in the bible had to go to prison before he became the Egypt's Prime Minister.Its nothing new.

Are you okay now?
1. Did Biafra lose the War based on Obasanjo's or yorubas military prowess or the formidable forces of Britain which sent Miliatry arsenal enough to wipe out Nigeria 3 times against Biafra , or the Soviet Union which was the most powerful technology/military power as the time sending MIGs,Kalanishkovs and other harware or the Arab world led by Egypt . it would be right for you to know why Biafra lost and that Biafra did not looses against Yoruba whose higest military office ws second in command to ironsi

2. you talked about rule of Law and how yorubas follow rule of law to the letter , if that was so how come there was operation wetie in yourba land which contravenes every rule of law and this led to a break down of law and order and the declaration of a state of emergency in the western region. If Yorubas follow rule of Law then Abiola would not be coup sponsor for 1983 coup and rule of Law would not be when you are hold the short end of the stick.

3. MKO did not hold Nigeria Hostage , rather Nigeria held him hostage for 5 years until he died after Abacha.

4. 1. Northern General imprisoned Abiola (the field Marshall of yoruba land ),OBJ the Yoruba only Head of state ,Adisa,Diya vice president and Olanrewaju and other numerous Officers ( which i can provide if you want it ) .
If Goodluck Jonathan was a Yoruba man he would probaly be serving his 5th year imprisonment with Ogomudia ,Owoye Azazi and all Ijaw Generals for plannining a coup he does not know anything about . And that by every standard is not obeying rule of law. this has happened to 2 yoruba genrals (genrals in rank) Ogundipe and Diya , the same thing almost Happened to Obasanjo in 1976 after the Regime of Murtala Mohammed was overthrown but OBJ was Saved by T.Y Danjuma who insisted he be allowed to take over .

5.from my reading and Experience living and working all over Nigeria Emirship is a symbol of Fulani control and domain All the Emirs in the whole Nigeria (except Emir of Bauchi) are all Fulani and decendants to the founder of the Sokoto Caliphate "Usman Dan Fodio" that there is an Emir in Illorin means the Fulanis control the Rulership of Illorin .
when the British Produced the Governor General of Nigeria , it meant the considered Nigeria their Colony.

6. Joseph case does not arise here , Joseph went to prison as a slave and not as a general in country , Please show me any other tribe that has had all their generals sent to prison by a single General or anyother general shitting and pissing in his pants before a Major
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Epalos: 7:32pm On Aug 19, 2012
Good you know that is not yoruba, but next time try and tell the full truth, truth does not kill
Da infamous: Ngodigha this is not a yorobe woman,no,i don't accept that'i cant see any dirty half broom sticks coated with different colors from years of left over oil ewedu soups sad sad
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Epalos: 7:38pm On Aug 19, 2012
The world already know ibos make no sense, How can you sell everything you have(some of you even used your loved ones for money rituals) just to make it to poverty towns
Malawian: Wow, is this thread still alive? I skipped it when it was just 3 pages, now 38? I will certainly take time to read through all of it. Just to say, the day i visited badagry here in lagos was the day i realised that ajegunle was a mini new york. There was nothing and nobody there! You couls smell porverty and hopelessness in the air. How many igbos are in badagry? Yoruba, we and una no be mates! If na una dem give 20 pounds, by now only 10% of una go still dey alive. All these una noise, if una do too much shakara, we go waka go south south or cameroon or equitorial guinee. No be only Yoruba land get sea access. We no need una, na una need us. You guys though you had dealt a death kneel against us after the war abi? See Yoruba wey dey jaa go seme border at every gbege dey say dem win war. All those una "war" wey only 3 people from each side go enter bush shoot gun for up, when the other reply with gun for up, both sides go shout aaah, aaah run go back to their villa. No so dem dey fight war. Instead of beefing with igbos and our pride that our fathers stood tall to defend our dignity, why dont you focus on your fathers that shit their pants under mere threats?
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Epalos: 7:43pm On Aug 19, 2012
Well that oyo man is still in his back yard, so you should stay in your backyard too
Obi1kenobi: It's always funny hearing another of the myriad of insular Yoruba fellas telling us to go back to our 'erosion ravaged villages'. They've obviously spent too much time in Lagos and know nothing about what their real communities in other SW states look like. It's hard to join words with an Oyo man born and raised in Lagos who has never seen his remote village before.
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Epalos: 7:54pm On Aug 19, 2012
Yoruba nation is one. Not one single Awolowo achievement was located in Ikenne or in Ijebu cos he saw every Part of Yoruba land as his backyard
Obi1kenobi: It's always funny hearing another of the myriad of insular Yoruba fellas telling us to go back to our 'erosion ravaged villages'. They've obviously spent too much time in Lagos and know nothing about what their real communities in other SW states look like. It's hard to join words with an Oyo man born and raised in Lagos who has never seen his remote village before.
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by oilsuop: 7:55pm On Aug 19, 2012
what can we see in yorubaland apart from sabo sad sad
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by kettykin: 7:57pm On Aug 19, 2012
it piques me how people will go about spreading lies allover the internet about who won the civil war when it is evidently clear for reports , literature, declassified information about who really did what and when .

For fools going about deceiving themselves and other gullible people about who won the war please read the excerpts below

Ticking for the 1%July 1, 2012 Shell,BP and Nigeria’s war over Biafra, 1967-70

http://insomniacanonymous./2012/07/01/shellbp-and-nigerias-war-over-biafra-1967-70/
Enough wepons to wipe out the east

In the first half of the following year, 1968, Britain approved the export of 15 million rounds of ammunition, 21,000 mortar bombs, 42,500 Howtizer rounds, 12 Oerlikon guns, 3 Bofors guns, 500 submachine guns, 12 Saladins with guns and spare parts, 30 Saracens and spare parts, 800 bayonets, 4,000 rifles and two other helicopters. At the same time Wilson was constantly reassuring Gowon of British support for a united Nigeria, saying in April 1968 that ‘I think we can fairly claim that we have not wavered in this support throughout the civil war’.

Other supplies agreed in November following meetings with the Nigerians included six Saladins and 20,000 rounds of ammunition for them, and stepped up monthly supplies of ammunition, amounting to a total of 15 million rounds additional to those already agreed. It was recognised by the Defence Minister that ‘the scale of the UK supply of small arms ammunition to Nigeria in recent months has been and will continue to be on a vast scale’. The recent deal meant that Britain was supplying 36 million rounds of ammunition in the last few months alone. Britain’s ‘willingness to supply very large quantities of ammunition’, Lord Shepherd noted, ‘meant drawing on the British army’s own supplies’.

At the same time the Foreign Office was instructing its missions around the world to lie about the extent of this arms supply. It sent a ‘guidance’ memo to various diplomatic posts on 22 November saying that ‘we wish to discourage suggestions’ that the Nigerians, in their recent meetings with British officials, were seeking ‘to negotiate a massive arms deal’. Rather, ‘our policy of supplying in reasonable quantities arms of the kind traditionally supplied’ to Nigeria ‘will be maintained but no change in the recent pattern of supplies is to be expected’. So great is the culture of lying at the Foreign Office, it appears that policy is even to keep its own officials in the dark.

By the end of 1968 Britain had sold Nigeria £9 million worth of arms, £6 million of which was spent on small arms. A quarter of Nigeria’s supplies (by value) had come from the Soviet Union, also taking advantage of the war for its own benefit and trying no doubt to secure an opening into Nigeria provided by this opportunity. British officials consistently justified their arms supply by saying that if they stopped, the Russians would fill the gap. It was Britain’s oil interests, however, that was the dominating factor in Whitehall planners’ reasoning.

Nigerian aggression, British support

British interests are very clearly revealed in the declassified files. ‘Our direct interests are trade and investment, including an important stake by Shell/BP in the eastern Region. There are nearly 20,000 British nationals in Nigeria, for whose welfare we are of course specially [sic] concerned’, the Foreign Office noted a few days before the outbreak of the war. Shell/BP’s investments amounted to around £200 million, with other British investment in Nigeria accounting for a further £90 million. It was then partly owned by the British government, and the largest producer of oil which provided most of Nigeria’s export earnings. Most of this oil was in the eastern region.
Commonwealth Minister George Thomas wrote in August 1967 that: ‘The sole immediate British interest in Nigeria is that the Nigerian economy should be brought back to a condition in which our substantial trade and investment in the country can be further developed, and particularly so we can regain access to important oil installations’.

Thomas further outlined the primary reason why Britain was so keen to preserve Nigerian unity, noting that ‘our only direct interest in the maintenance of the federation is that Nigeria has been developed as an economic unit and any disruption of this would have adverse effects on trade and development’. If Nigeria were to break up, he added: ‘We cannot expect that economic cooperation between the component parts of what was Nigeria, particularly between the East and the West, will necessarily enable development and trade to proceed at the same level as they would have done in a unified Nigeria; nor can we now count on the Shell/BP oil concession being regained on the same terms as in the past if the East and the mid-West assume full control of their own economies’.

Ojukwu initially tried to get Shell/BP to pay royalties to the Biafran government rather than the FMG. The oil companies, after giving the Biafrans a small token payment, eventually refused and Ojuwku responded by sequestering Shell’s property and installations, forbidding Shell to do any further business and ordering all its staff out. They ‘have much to lose if the FMG do not achieve the expected victory’, George Thomas noted in August 1967. A key British aim throughout the war was to secure the lifting of the blockade which Gowon imposed on the east and which stopped oil exports.

In the run-up to Gowon’s declaration of war, Britain had made it clear to the FMG that it completely supported Nigerian unity. George Thomas had told the Nigerian High Commissioner in London at the end of April 1967, for example, that ‘the Federal government had our sympathy and our full support’ but said that he hoped the use of force against the east could be avoided. On 28 May Gowon, having just declared a state of emergency, explicitly told Britain’s Defence Attache that the FMG was likely to ‘mount an invasion from the north’. Gowon asked whether Britain would provide fighter cover for the attack and naval support to reinforce the blockade of Eastern ports; the Defence Attache replied that both were out of the question.
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Epalos: 7:59pm On Aug 19, 2012
ibos who do NOT wash their clothes are clean, ha! tell me what don't know, just confess that you have learnt to be human on Yoruba soil
Ngodigha1: The yorubas are becoming cleaner and neater today because of the Igbos. We are really helping the helpless. They are still dirty to a large extent. But for them to attract non-Yoruba customers, they have to be neat. The Yoruba customers do not care because it is in their boood to remain dirty.
But the main purpose of thie picture is to highlight the fact that Yorubas especially their women do only sale maize, plantain and peel oranges. Not only Igbo people, other Nigerians should help in elevating the poor state of the yoruba in Nigeria. What a cursed race.
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Epalos: 8:01pm On Aug 19, 2012
ibos!!! anything for money
van bonattel:

Igbos welcome alamesigha? Whoever said this is a murutum paffun!
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Epalos: 8:03pm On Aug 19, 2012
He does not need to be an ibo, ibos souls belong to the highest bidder
Ngodigha1:
Since when has Alams become Igbo. It's a pity that this stinking pig called Madawaki01 cannot differentiate between an Igbo and non Igbo. Your education is a waste, get it right piggy.
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Epalos: 8:13pm On Aug 19, 2012
ibos go with the money, period! when any country is ready to test their mobile chemical Labs, you will see them using ibos, cos all they need to through in there is few naira notes and you will see how these sub human dive in
Ngodigha1:
brain-dead monkey, shut up your smelly mouth. Alams, former governor of Bayelsa state is not Igbo. The problem with fools like you is your inability to know the difference between Igbo and others. I do not know why you people do not have brains at all. Bayelsa is an ijaw state.
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Epalos: 8:32pm On Aug 19, 2012
These are the stories of their lives
Awolowo went to jail for his people, so do world great leaders, we did not need to protect him, karma did
Abiola got what was coming to him, NPN karma, when you betray your land the land works against you
You can go on and on with how come the the sky is gray/blue and there are trees in the forest, my young nieces and nephews ask the same
kettykin: Did Yorubas actually win the civil war for Nigeria ?
How come they did not protect Awolowo from being sent to jail , which was the main reason behind the Nzeowgu coup of 1966
if the Yorubas won the Civil war how come the failed to protect their Super Hero and Field Marshall of yourba land the Oona kakanfo MKO Abiola.
How come the yourbas did not protect their 17 generals being sent to prision for a crime they did not commit .
How come the Yoruba land in illorin is still under colonisation by the Fulanis.
How come the only yourba to have ruled Nigeria was imprisoned by the northerners and was brought from prison to rule by northerners

1 Like

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Epalos: 8:41pm On Aug 19, 2012
You probably met your ibo sister who tried to make you feel that you have won jackpot, yoruba women go with real men not half men cos you just don't have what it takes
Malawian: LWKMD grin grin grin. ... And why do Yoruba women run after igbo men? Man i just roasted one few nights ago. All these yourobber and their mouths sef, so na mouth una dey use fukk igbo girls now? Sorrrriiiii.
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Epalos: 8:45pm On Aug 19, 2012
You see a lot that you don't see in iboland
oil suop: what can we see in yorubaland apart from sabo sad sad
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Epalos: 8:53pm On Aug 19, 2012
I did bother reading what you spewed below cos I know truth can never come out your ibotic mouth, so tke your sawdust filled brain somewhere else
I the people you claim starved you to surrender did not stop the war, who did
kettykin: it piques me how people will go about spreading lies allover the internet about who won the civil war when it is evidently clear for reports , literature, declassified information about who really did what and when .

For fools going about deceiving themselves and other gullible people about who won the war please read the excerpts below

http://insomniacanonymous./2012/07/01/shellbp-and-nigerias-war-over-biafra-1967-70/

In the first half of the following year, 1968, Britain approved the export of 15 million rounds of ammunition, 21,000 mortar bombs, 42,500 Howtizer rounds, 12 Oerlikon guns, 3 Bofors guns, 500 submachine guns, 12 Saladins with guns and spare parts, 30 Saracens and spare parts, 800 bayonets, 4,000 rifles and two other helicopters. At the same time Wilson was constantly reassuring Gowon of British support for a united Nigeria, saying in April 1968 that ‘I think we can fairly claim that we have not wavered in this support throughout the civil war’.

Other supplies agreed in November following meetings with the Nigerians included six Saladins and 20,000 rounds of ammunition for them, and stepped up monthly supplies of ammunition, amounting to a total of 15 million rounds additional to those already agreed. It was recognised by the Defence Minister that ‘the scale of the UK supply of small arms ammunition to Nigeria in recent months has been and will continue to be on a vast scale’. The recent deal meant that Britain was supplying 36 million rounds of ammunition in the last few months alone. Britain’s ‘willingness to supply very large quantities of ammunition’, Lord Shepherd noted, ‘meant drawing on the British army’s own supplies’.

At the same time the Foreign Office was instructing its missions around the world to lie about the extent of this arms supply. It sent a ‘guidance’ memo to various diplomatic posts on 22 November saying that ‘we wish to discourage suggestions’ that the Nigerians, in their recent meetings with British officials, were seeking ‘to negotiate a massive arms deal’. Rather, ‘our policy of supplying in reasonable quantities arms of the kind traditionally supplied’ to Nigeria ‘will be maintained but no change in the recent pattern of supplies is to be expected’. So great is the culture of lying at the Foreign Office, it appears that policy is even to keep its own officials in the dark.

By the end of 1968 Britain had sold Nigeria £9 million worth of arms, £6 million of which was spent on small arms. A quarter of Nigeria’s supplies (by value) had come from the Soviet Union, also taking advantage of the war for its own benefit and trying no doubt to secure an opening into Nigeria provided by this opportunity. British officials consistently justified their arms supply by saying that if they stopped, the Russians would fill the gap. It was Britain’s oil interests, however, that was the dominating factor in Whitehall planners’ reasoning.

Nigerian aggression, British support

British interests are very clearly revealed in the declassified files. ‘Our direct interests are trade and investment, including an important stake by Shell/BP in the eastern Region. There are nearly 20,000 British nationals in Nigeria, for whose welfare we are of course specially [sic] concerned’, the Foreign Office noted a few days before the outbreak of the war. Shell/BP’s investments amounted to around £200 million, with other British investment in Nigeria accounting for a further £90 million. It was then partly owned by the British government, and the largest producer of oil which provided most of Nigeria’s export earnings. Most of this oil was in the eastern region.
Commonwealth Minister George Thomas wrote in August 1967 that: ‘The sole immediate British interest in Nigeria is that the Nigerian economy should be brought back to a condition in which our substantial trade and investment in the country can be further developed, and particularly so we can regain access to important oil installations’.

Thomas further outlined the primary reason why Britain was so keen to preserve Nigerian unity, noting that ‘our only direct interest in the maintenance of the federation is that Nigeria has been developed as an economic unit and any disruption of this would have adverse effects on trade and development’. If Nigeria were to break up, he added: ‘We cannot expect that economic cooperation between the component parts of what was Nigeria, particularly between the East and the West, will necessarily enable development and trade to proceed at the same level as they would have done in a unified Nigeria; nor can we now count on the Shell/BP oil concession being regained on the same terms as in the past if the East and the mid-West assume full control of their own economies’.

Ojukwu initially tried to get Shell/BP to pay royalties to the Biafran government rather than the FMG. The oil companies, after giving the Biafrans a small token payment, eventually refused and Ojuwku responded by sequestering Shell’s property and installations, forbidding Shell to do any further business and ordering all its staff out. They ‘have much to lose if the FMG do not achieve the expected victory’, George Thomas noted in August 1967. A key British aim throughout the war was to secure the lifting of the blockade which Gowon imposed on the east and which stopped oil exports.

In the run-up to Gowon’s declaration of war, Britain had made it clear to the FMG that it completely supported Nigerian unity. George Thomas had told the Nigerian High Commissioner in London at the end of April 1967, for example, that ‘the Federal government had our sympathy and our full support’ but said that he hoped the use of force against the east could be avoided. On 28 May Gowon, having just declared a state of emergency, explicitly told Britain’s Defence Attache that the FMG was likely to ‘mount an invasion from the north’. Gowon asked whether Britain would provide fighter cover for the attack and naval support to reinforce the blockade of Eastern ports; the Defence Attache replied that both were out of the question.

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Epalos: 9:09pm On Aug 19, 2012
Did I say something that I would't say when I'm sober, I work hard and when Its girls night out, I take care of that too, maybe you should add a little fun to your life
odogwu-x:
winkMy friend respond to my posts when u are sober

1 Like

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Nobody: 9:56pm On Aug 19, 2012
oil suop: what can we see in yorubaland apart from sabo sad sad

You are so dense..you can't even write out your username properly.

No point wasting time with a junkie like you.
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by kettykin: 11:10pm On Aug 19, 2012
Epalos: I did bother reading what you spewed below cos I know truth can never come out your ibotic mouth, so tke your sawdust filled brain somewhere else
I the people you claim starved you to surrender did not stop the war, who did

If you read very well sir , you have seen that i psoted the sourceof the information which is a foreign press

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by odogwux(m): 9:10am On Aug 20, 2012
Its nice to see u didn't try and deny being drunk out of your mind when you spewed the pre-recorded gibberish above for the last couple of pages.

Epalos: Did I say something that I would't say when I'm sober, I work hard and when Its girls night out, I take care of that too, maybe you should add a little fun to your life
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:54am On Aug 20, 2012
CAN WE PUT A LID ON THIS THREAD NOW?

THANKYOU.
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Dede1(m): 1:20pm On Aug 20, 2012
PStylish:

Answers

Are you okay now?

The first statements of the above post showed the poster is pointlessly clueless. It is an avoidable display of ignorance if the poster had read the recorded events about Nigeria/Biafra civil war with rapt attention.

Obasanjo does not have what it takes to stop a village riot talk less of a war. The Biafran commander/s did not surround to Obasnajo. The fact that Obasnajo who stood for Nigerian armed forces during the so-called sorrunder has absolutely nothing to do with Obasanjo’s bravery as a commander of military unit. Nigeria, without the generosity of certain counties from Africa, Europe and Asia, can never defeat Biafra.

The cardinal reason Obasanjo stood in for Nigerian armed forces during the so-called Biafra’s surrender was mandated by the dictate of military parlance within the theater of war.
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by bigmo1(m): 3:53am On Aug 21, 2012
kettykin: it piques me how people will go about spreading lies allover the internet about who won the civil war when it is evidently clear for reports , literature, declassified information about who really did what and when .

That was the mistake Gowon made. He should have gone to the Americans to purchase Atomic bomb. The war would have finished in one day and these Igbo offsprings won't be here dragging this thread this long.
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by mikeapollo: 1:49pm On Aug 22, 2012
Cokeroo:

I beg to differ. let us objectively examine the evnts of 66-70.
(1) Massive corruption and looting by the Balewa government

(2) Nzeogwu, heavily influenced by a lot of revolutions going on at that time (especially the successful cuban revolution) coupled with the American civil rights movements became disillusioned with the state of affairs in Nigeria.

(3) He started the revolution, but it back-fired with many Ibo leaders not being killed unlike those of other tribes(i.e Balewa, Okotie-Eboh, Akintola, Bello etc).

(4) The north planned their revenge and got it. But it didn't end there. It snowballed into ethnic cleansing and genocide. Mind you, not one single Ibo was killed in the south-west.

(5) Based on the killings,the Ibos re-considered their membership of the union and decided to walk- which is by any standard logical.

(6) Awo, instead of either joining the secession or re-negotiating the terms of our union, decided to join Yakubu's bandwagon. ( By the way Yakubu's people are being slaughtered the way he connived in slaughtering Ibos in '66).
Even though Ojukwu was a spoilt brat who didn't listen to advice and was a tad bit selfish in his hasty decision to secede, I still think Awo should have done better. He would have saved us maitatsine, Jos crisis, zango-kataf, Boko-Haram and millions of lives that have been lost to the war that has been going on since 1966 (In case you didn't know, we are still at war).

Ironsi was in power when Awo was in prison. Ironsi failed or refused to release him. Gowon came and released Awo. Do you expect Awo to pay him back with war?

Col Banjo was a Yoruba man who fougth on the side of Biafra. He was killed by the Biafra soldiers. Then the Biafra soldiers decided to over-run Ore and the West to get to Lagos! Do you expect Yoruba people to look when their land was being attacked?

Ojukwu may have had some good points but he made very costly mistakes in the way the war was executed.
Secession is not the same as terrorial expansion! So if he had already declared Republic of Biafra, then what was the Biafran soldiers coming to do through Ore, to Ondo,Ibadan, Ijebu-Ode and Lagos? To destroy the West and Capture Lagos?
Biafra should just have declared Benin/Delta as their buffer zone and stayed away from launching any attack or coming further through Ore. That would have ensured that the east Seceeded, but coming to Lagos is pure territorial aggression

1 Like

Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by odogwux(m): 3:07pm On Aug 22, 2012
I was about to heap a hefty curse on you till it ocurred to me that you are doing a good job of it yourself. Keep it up

big mo:
That was the mistake Gowon made. He should have gone to the Americans to purchase Atomic bomb. The war would have finished in one day and these Igbo offsprings won't be here dragging this thread this long.
Re: Fani-Kayode: Yorubas Won The Civil War For Nigeria by Olaolufred(m): 3:08pm On Aug 22, 2012
mikeapollo:

Ironsi was in power when Awo was in prison. Ironsi failed or refused to release him. Gowon came and released Awo. Do you expect Awo to pay him back with war?

Col Banjo was a Yoruba man who fougth on the side of Biafra. He was killed by the Biafra soldiers. Then the Biafra soldiers decided to over-run Ore and the West to get to Lagos! Do you expect Yoruba people to look when their land was being attacked?

Ojukwu may have had some good points but he made very costly mistakes in the way the war was executed.
Secession is not the same as terrorial expansion! So if he had already declared Republic of Biafra, then what was the Biafran soldiers coming to do through Ore, to Ondo,Ibadan, Ijebu-Ode and Lagos? To destroy the West and Capture Lagos?
Biafra should just have declared Benin/Delta as their buffer zone and stayed away from launching any attack or coming further through Ore. That would have ensured that the east Seceeded, but coming to Lagos is pure territorial aggression

I agree with you.
Cokeroo called Ojukwu a spoilt brat.
I am not in position to know that.
But the fact is this:
(1)Biafra Failed
Why did it failed?
Either not well planned or poorly executed.
I read this history so well that one cannot put away selfishness or youthfull exuberances displayed by Ojukwu.
It showed on how Azikiwe backed out later.
It showed in how Ojukwu took some of rash decisions that will always backfire in the long run.
[b]READ THIS AS CAPTIONED BY ONUOHA UKEH
"Within Eastern Nigeria (Biafra), General Ojukwu’s tactics led to a quick alienation of many talented Ibos. From the very beginning, he set out to establish his authority with a heavy hand. Under his orders Dr. Michael Okpara, the popular former civilian Premier of Eastern Nigeria, was clamped in jail. So were a number of his ministers. The only notable exception was the former Attorney General, Mr. C. C. Mojekwu, Ojukwu’s kinsman, whom he retained and made Biafra’s Minister of Interior. Inspired insinuations went round accusing Dr. Azikiwe, Nigeria’s former President, of mismanaging the affairs of the University of Nsukka of which he was the founder-chancellor. These political figures were to remain out of favour and far from the corridors of power, except for their occasional utility as window dressing, such as posing for photographs with General Ojukwu or flanking him on ceremonial occasions. Their rich political experience was practically unused and they were called in to participate in the Biafran government in any effective way only when the first signs of collapse had appeared. This was late in September 1967, when Biafra experienced its first military reverses, which led rapidly to the fall of Enugu".
[/b]
In a nutshell, When you ask a WAEC student about his result.
He tells something like this:
"I had A1 in Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I had B2 in Agric science, Geography and Economics.
I had Credit in Biology, but they gave me F9 in English.
A true failure always see others as the one responsible for his failure.
While I always want to avoid anything tribal,
Some earsay comments from many about Biafra made me read thoroughly about it and kept some of those histories on my system-particularly those written by Non-Yorubas and hausas.

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (Reply)

Buhari, Tinubu, Amaechi Break Ramadan Fast This Evening (Photos) / South-East Governors Almost Mobilized Buses, Trucks To Evacuate Igbos From North / Twitter Reacts To FG’s Plan To Lift Suspension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.