Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,984 members, 7,810,742 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:20 PM

Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep (15449 Views)

Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% / Anambra Attracts $1.65bn Investments As Oduah Heads Anambra Airport Project / How Painful US Visa Denial Could Be.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Nobody: 10:53am On Aug 30, 2012
afam4eva:
Nwanna, you're spot on. It's only sectional if it favours the south-east. We've lost in almost everything in Nigeria.

Capital, we no get

Former capital nko, we no get

President, we never produce

Vice nko, who wan give you

Headquarter of anything, you're asking for too much

We get the smallest allocation

..the list goes on and on

The only thing that baffles me is that we have IGBO REPs in that seating yet nobody is bold enough to tell that Aboki to keep quiet and highlight all these points Aryzgreat mentioned above. Nobody can tell him to shut up, SMH
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by thelastPope(m): 10:53am On Aug 30, 2012
Onyocha: the question that must be asked is why didn't stella oduah send british airways,lufthansa,air france,delta,and KLM to Enugu? I sense the point the house of rep. is making is related to the religious identity of the 3 airlines sent to enugu.he may think oduah is making things unnecessarily difficult for them while she exempt other airlines from western nations.etihad,emirates and turkish airlines are from traditional muslim countries.I think if the minister is serious about air traffic in other part of the country,she should send british airways,lufthansa and air france to enugu or have a mix.things are easily (mis)interpreted in a religiously mixed country.so madam minister should have being smarter than this.or is madam minister receiving bribe from other airlines to destroy business for the 3 airlines sent to enugu? Only God knows!

Let us play the devil's advocate a little and assume that the minister actually wants to victimize the 3 airlines. So how is that in the interest of the rep? Or is he saying he is more concerned about the interest of the countries those airlines come from because they are fellow muslims, more than the interest of Nigeria his own country? Or are they settling him? He should tell us his real interest let us know
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by tunnytox(m): 10:55am On Aug 30, 2012
PointB:

How can you simply conclude it's not economically viable? Is there any study done to determine it's not economically viable? Beside, who interest are you protecting? The Nigerian people or the airlines?

If you any iota of knowledge about biz you wouldn't make the post you make above. How can you conduct a study for airlines on how to run their own biz? I guess I can come to your office to tell you how to do your job or biz?
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by thelastPope(m): 11:01am On Aug 30, 2012
tunnytox:

If you any iota of knowledge about biz you wouldn't make the post you make above. How can you conduct a study for airlines on how to run their own biz? I guess I can come to your office to tell you how to do your job or biz?

What are you saying my friend, I don't get you. Is the primary objective of government policy for foreigners to come and make money or for the citizens to be served? What is this talk about economic viability over Nigeria's interest? Is it compulsory they do business in Nigeria?

If they can't do what we want, they should fark off and stop occupying space joor!

1 Like

Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Onyocha: 11:03am On Aug 30, 2012
thelastPope:

Let us play the devil's advocate a little and assume that the minister actually wants to victimize the 3 airlines. So how is that in the interest of the rep? Or is he saying he is more concerned about the interest of the countries those airlines come from because they are fellow muslims, more than the interest of Nigeria his own country? Or are they settling him? He should tell us his real interest let us know

Don't you think if this is all about the interest of the country and air traffic into enugu,it makes more sense to send british air ways to enugu?

I see foul play by the minister in this regardless if she is being bribed or not and regardless if the rep too is bribed or not.
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by barikay: 11:05am On Aug 30, 2012
Desola:

which she does but she is able to rebut that claim by saying that Enugu is equally a federal government international airport and in order to boost all aspects of the country's air traffic sector, it is only right to ask these carriers to consider flying to Enugu(although this is a veiled economic duress being exerted by her and geared toward diverting revenue to her side of the country). However, descerning minds can read through this for what it really is.

Jonasatan's government is generally a tribalistic one geared at spiting the Yorubas and Hausas in my candid opinion. The ibos are happy and careless about this because as they see it, the Yorubas and Hausas have been milking the country dry since their failed attempt at secession so they see this as their time to chop and Jonasatan is delivering that.
u are contradictory.
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by tunnytox(m): 11:07am On Aug 30, 2012
thelastPope:

What are you saying my friend, I don't get you. Is the primary objective of government policy for foreigners to come and make money or for the citizens to be served? What is this talk about economic viability over Nigeria's interest? Is it compulsory they do business in Nigeria?

If they can't do what we want, they should fark off and stop occupying space joor!

Why can't Arik fly to Glasgow? Why can't Air Nigeria be forced to land in Liverpool or even Newcastle?
These airlines can only fly to London to make profit and stay in biz, it's not rocket science to know this except you're being prejudiced.
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Nobody: 11:09am On Aug 30, 2012
Sometimes I wonder if the opinion of a greedy and farouky NASS member is needed in an economic revolution. I have reasons to believe the Ministers know the portfolio they spearhead than an average jack.
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by barikay: 11:09am On Aug 30, 2012
It's amazing hw peepz turn things
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Mkpotu(m): 11:10am On Aug 30, 2012
Where is ZUBY777? Ofcourse u know why?
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Afam4eva(m): 11:11am On Aug 30, 2012
tunnytox:

Why can't Arik fly to Glasgow? Why can't Air Nigeria be forced to land in Liverpool or even Newcastle?
These airlines can only fly to London to make profit and stay in biz, it's not rocket science to know this except you're being prejudiced.
If the british airways decides that Arik should land in liverpool or newscaster, then that's what will happen afterall those cities are in the UK and it's better than landing the plane in Afghanistan. They probably haven't doen this because there's still space in Heathrow and Gatwick.
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Kobojunkie: 11:12am On Aug 30, 2012
FSU:

PH is not in the SE. True or false?

Viability of Airports has nothing to do with political regions . . . get that into your head. It is the not the politicians that decide which airports are viable and which are not. By your argument, those in the North can also say that Abuja is neither NW, or NN, or NE and so the ministry should force some of the same Airlines to fly an international airport in their area. Stop being mischievous and irrational.

Also, Port Harcourt is close enough to so many of the major cities in the East, just as they are from Enugu. Nothing currently stops them from flying from PH either. Continually demanding that the politicians play these games on your behalf works against, not for the South Eastern States. We already see that for the South South, the results of these policies have not been as expected.
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Lordmike: 11:12am On Aug 30, 2012
Guys you are just becoming too tribalistic that nobody is reasoning well again. we need either PH or Enugu airport to be updgraded in the same way we have in Abuja and Lagos for economic growth. Have you been to PH airport before, do you know how many people who fly from PH to Lagos or Abuja to catch International flight, Do you know how many times people have missed their international flights just because local flights wwere delayed in PH or Enugue. Stop this Tribal stupidity and face the reality to grow Nigeria. Jonathan this Jonathan that if you are voted into power you will do worse because you are too tribalistic. my reference is to all those tribalistic guys in this NL, be you Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, Ijaw etc.
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by tunnytox(m): 11:18am On Aug 30, 2012
afam4eva:
If the british airways decides that Arik should land in liverpool or newscaster, then that's what will happen afterall those cities are in the UK and it's better than landing the plane in Afghanistan. They probably haven't doen this because there's still space in Heathrow and Gatwick.

Why did Nigerian govt complained when Arik's Heathrow slot was revoked if it's that simple? And who tells you there's no more space in Abuja for these airlines to land?
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Afam4eva(m): 11:19am On Aug 30, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Viability of Airports has nothing to do with political regions . . . get that into your head. It is the not the politicians that decide which airports are viable and which are not. By your argument, those in the North can also say that Abuja is neither NW, or NN, or NE and so the ministry should force some of the same Airlines to fly an international airport in their area. Stop being mischievous and irrational.

Also, Port Harcourt is close enough to so many of the major cities in the East, just as they are from Enugu. Nothing currently stops them from flying from PH either. Continually demanding that the politicians play these games on your behalf works against, not for the South Eastern States. We already see that for the South South, the results of these policies have not been as expected.
Why are you changing goal post now. I don't you were saying that PH is in the east and so, people in the south-east should use that one.
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Afam4eva(m): 11:20am On Aug 30, 2012
tunnytox:

Why did Nigerian govt complained when Arik's Heathrow slot was revoked if it's that simple? And who tells you there's no more space in Abuja for these airlines to land?
isn't that what the minister is implying or do you now know more than the mister of aviation?
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by thelastPope(m): 11:20am On Aug 30, 2012
Onyocha:

Don't you think if this is all about the interest of the country and air traffic into enugu,it makes more sense to send british air ways to enugu?

I see foul play by the minister in this regardless if she is being bribed or not and regardless if the rep too is bribed or not.

What foul play are you talking about? They are applying for new slots not redirecting old slots. New slots should terminate in the airports that don't have allocations. You can then make a case for redirection of old slots later. Many of you comment like you haven't ever worked in cooporate organisations. There are procedures for these things. There are what you call best practices.

Don't people in the east fly Turkish, Emirate and whatever? What airlines do you think run the dubai, malaysia, singapore and asian routes?
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by thelastPope(m): 11:28am On Aug 30, 2012
tunnytox:

Dude, no offense, where do you live? Becaue you keep making these funny posts.

Dude, England is the size of about the smallest state in Nigeria. From Lagos to Enugu is about 7 hours even on good roads. How can you make such comparisons? You are like that german fellow who asked a Nigerian is germany if he knows a guy in gabon called John. As if gabon is 3km from Nigeria.

They don't need to divert flight to liverpool or newcastle. They are just a stone throw apart compared to Nigerian cities
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Nobody: 11:32am On Aug 30, 2012
It is rather obvious, It's such a pity we do not have a national carrier that is powerful and greedy like BA, it would have forced those airlines to use other airports while it keeps Abj and Los for itself.
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Ogbonaikenna(m): 11:33am On Aug 30, 2012
sheyguy:
+1000.
Customers should not be made to go through the stress of travelling long distances back from Enugu to their destination.
the consumers are igbos ok?
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by tunnytox(m): 11:33am On Aug 30, 2012
thelastPope:

Dude, no offense, where do you live? Becaue you keep making these funny posts.

Dude, England is the size of about the smallest state in Nigeria. From Lagos to Enugu is about 7 hours even on good roads. How can you make such comparisons? You are like that german fellow who asked a Nigerian is germany if he knows a guy in gabon called John. As if gabon is 3km from Nigeria.

They don't need to divert flight to liverpool or newcastle. They are just a stone throw apart compared to Nigerian cities

Dude stop making a f.00l of yourself England is NOT the size of a smallest state in Nigeria, I'll give you sometime to consult your atlas and come back here.
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by PointB: 11:46am On Aug 30, 2012
tunnytox:

In the same vein my 'knowledgeable' friend, foreign airlines cannot dictate to Nigeria how to run our Aviation sector. They should accept what we dish or ship out! Nigeria is not lacking in airline operator, new entrant should use other airport. Unless of course you are motivated by ethnic agenda, and your sole interest is ensuring other regions are not opened up for investment!

2 Likes

Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by thelastPope(m): 11:47am On Aug 30, 2012
tunnytox:

Dude stop making a f.00l of yourself England is NOT the size of a smallest state in Nigeria, I'll give you sometime to consult your atlas and come back here.

Dude, let me hear word. London to Liverpool is around 212km. Not even up to Lagos to Benin which is 300km and they have superb roads and speed trains. You want to compare England to Nigeria? Na wa for u oh!
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by ektbear: 11:49am On Aug 30, 2012
Long story short, let the free market decide.

If foreign airlines are interested in applying for licenses to fly into Abuja and you deny them, trying to force them to fly into Enugu instead, that is wrong.
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by PointB: 11:51am On Aug 30, 2012
Onyocha:

I dont agree sending established airline to Enugu is the way to do it. Those airlines might have signed series of agreement with the government, and some of those agreement might not allow for such move. However, it is fair to suggest that new airlines seeking entrant into the Nigeria market considers Enugu/SE axis. It's our duty as Nigerians to promote this ideas, or support it when muted.

I am just trying to understand why some us are siding with the airline on issue that have benefit for Nigeria as whole. It's a tad sad!
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by AZeD1(m): 11:51am On Aug 30, 2012
Until we start letting the market decide, we will not develop as a nation. I believe if it was economically viable for the airlines to fly from Enugu nobody would tell them to go their.

A simple lay mans way to look at a viable route if airline x lifts Nigerians from Enugu to uk, would it be able to fill that same flight back to Enugu.
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by PointB: 11:55am On Aug 30, 2012
ekt_bear: Long story short, let the free market decide.

If foreign airlines are interested in applying for licenses to fly into Abuja and you deny them, trying to force them to fly into Enugu instead, that is wrong.

It is not wrong. Some just mention GLO's issue in Ghana. Ghana acted in their strategic interest by ensuring GLO spreads out across their country. It's Nigeria strategic interest to 'force' some of their airlines to operate in other cities/regions. If we don't have a good number of airlines operating from abuja/lagos axis, then we can make such case (even though we only be protecting the airline's interest as against Nigeria's).
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by PointB: 11:56am On Aug 30, 2012
A-ZeD:
Until we start letting the market decide, we will not develop as a nation. I believe if it was economically viable for the airlines to fly from Enugu nobody would tell them to go their.

A simple lay mans way to look at a viable route if airline x lifts Nigerians from Enugu to uk, would it be able to fill that same flight back to Enugu.

Is there any reliable data to suggest otherwise? Besides is UK the only destination for international flights?
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by bjdon: 11:58am On Aug 30, 2012
I really don't understand the ministers logic here. Abuja is a rapidly growing city with rising demand from abroad for direct flight access. To say people should first go to Enugu is just plain dumb. Why can't we ever do things for the benefit of the whole country and keep out ethnic bias
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by ektbear: 11:58am On Aug 30, 2012
So there are at least two possible explanations for her behavior:

1. It is in Nigeria's strategic interest
2. She is pursuing a sectional agenda as the rep alleges, forcing business to setup airlines in a place where they have zero interest

So, what is the argument for (1) being more likely than (2)?

In particular, how is it in Nigeria's strategic interest to block an airline from flying the Abuja route (which presumably those two foreign airlines have identified as among the most lucrative possible routes)?
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by ektbear: 12:00pm On Aug 30, 2012
A-ZeD:
+1

If flying into Enugu was economically viable, then nobody would have to twist anyone else's arm to setup an airline there.
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by tunnytox(m): 12:01pm On Aug 30, 2012
thelastPope:

Dude, let me hear word. London to Liverpool is around 212km. Not even up to Lagos to Benin which is 300km and they have superb roads and speed trains. You want to compare England to Nigeria? Na wa for u oh!

I wouldn't want to derail the thread but to educate others Nigeria is approx. 9 times bigger than England but UK is made up of 3 other countries apart from England so where did you get it from that England is the size of a smallest state in Nigeria?

I will not continue to join issues with those who are blinded by their tribal sentiments I have made enough points on why the minister decision is wrong in the end I believe common sense will prevail.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

UAE Extends Ban On Nigerian Flights Till March 10 / Cross The Highways & Pay N50,000: Use Pedestrian Bridges Instead - Lagos Govt / Jamaica, No Problem!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.